• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:31
CEST 17:31
KST 00:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7911 users

Newbie Student Mafia VIII

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 18 2015 19:41 GMT
#50
/in

hi.
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 19 2015 23:43 GMT
#288
Fashionably late, checking in after late a night out and sleeping in half the day -- wasn’t expecting the game to kick off in mere hours! Catching up. Feel free to address questions to me and I’ll get to them when I’m done reading up to speed.
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 20 2015 03:28 GMT
#310
I'm slow okay? Sheesh!
(Also I will admit to getting distracted by shoutcraft, and then dinner.)
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 20 2015 05:56 GMT
#325
Before anything else, what the heck, I'm not allowed to refresh the thread on the side while filter diving and working on my reads? Feels like my play style doesn’t fit the meta these days or something.

-----

Since I got a late start to the game, I’ll start by bringing a new, different observation of my own, and try to avoid rehashing things that people have already brought up.

Scott asked me about LightningStrike -- who turns out to be squarely null+ -- engaged and forthcoming, a bit better than most, and not particularly controversial or swingy.

What’s interesting, though, is that looking over LS and his interactions, a lot of it is with Damdred, who on closer inspection feels like he may be trying to get chummy with LS. And why so eager to know how LS reads him so early on? Not blatant red flag -- might just be a product of who’s around and active to talk to early game, or just a meta thing between people who’ve played together -- I don’t know most of the newer players. Also certainly not to trying to draw associations. Just a thing I noticed, smells a bit fishy, not concrete, but may be worth keeping an eye on.

-----

Now for something else that feel I must address and make my opinion known, even at the risk of rebleating someone else:

Trfel’s huegpost: some people have pointed to it as not alignment indicative, BM flagged it as scumandeering. I feel it is somewhere between the two, south of null. Certainly, the hypothetical scum motivation is there: gaining cred for little substance, and swaying the favor of newbie players. Town motivation, much harder to justify -- sure, it’s a newbie game, but we are in-game and this is not the venue for dumping guides and glossaries -- there are resources out there for that. Feels almost pretentious, trying to tell people how to play.

Of course, clearly the post was premeditated before the game even started, and he has some history of making similar posts, though not quite as big, so that’s what nudges it away from being an outright red flag for me.

Make attention grabbing huegpost? Okay, you have my attention, but now what are you going to do with it? If you want to try to take the reins and lead town -- fine by me, I don’t judge that in itself either way. But if you put yourself in the spotlight, expect scrutiny, that’s only fair.
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 20 2015 05:59 GMT
#326
Oh yeah, fantastic, get pvoted while drafting. =/

I'm here, talk to me. Better things to do than policy lynch with plenty of time remaining. And even if you're determined to go LAL, isn't there someone else who is even less active?
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 20 2015 08:06 GMT
#335
OWS, If there’s one thing that really seems out of place to me, it would be BM’s mass claim proposal / “blue hunt” -- quite simply, it doesn’t add up. I’m well aware that he has a bit of a reputation, but the situation still reeks of exceedingly weird. Hypothesize he is scum motivated? I don’t think noob game means people are dumb enough to fall for the straight up blue hunt. Town motivated? I’m pretty sure he doesn’t get any passes for not knowing the setup, or trying for “60% if no counterclaim”. Some kind of test to gauge reactions? Not apparent that is the case either. Occam’s razor would prefer obvious scum here.

Onegu mentioned “too scummy to be scum, doesnt work” [as a defense] and my NMM33 experience would tend to agree that usually too obvious scum = scum. As things stand now, if deadline was in a couple of hours and we had to consolidate already, I’d probably vote BM. It’s not a new case by any means, but that’s the strongest read I have.

-----

On April 20 2015 15:36 The Shining wrote:
you brought up something that hasn't really been addressed in the thread(LS-Damdred read interaction) which is an original thought. So, did you see anything in any of this other posts?


Didn’t see much of the “too friendly” type interaction elsewhere, but one other thing that stood out for me is when Trfel seemed really hung up about Damdred’s opinion/thoughts process re: himself here and then again at the end here despite Damdred already addressing it here, I think.

Caring too hard about what people think about yourself is a bit of a scumtell.

On April 20 2015 15:36 The Shining wrote:
I'm not trying to overwhelm you but I have HORRIBLE luck with pylnches as town, whether I vote them or not. They like, always flip town. Let's not let this be you if you are town, pls.


I prefer to take my time to read, deliberate, and draft. I tend to have a relatively shorter filter. That’s just how I am. But if you can see past the superficiality of post count and such and find something of value in my play, perhaps we can avoid this potential mislynch.

On April 20 2015 15:36 The Shining wrote:
Sidenote: What's LAL, Cake?

Lynch all lurkers (sometimes, liars)

-----

On April 20 2015 16:20 ObiWanShinobi wrote:
He needs reads instead of just calling people null or null+.


Well, I’m not going to post a huge ordered list or give townreads and help scum prioritize out who to kill off. And it should not be surprising at this stage of D1 to be looking at a lot of null± among moderately active players. I’ve given my strongest read and voiced a couple of my suspicions, and though the latter are a bit more swingy and hard to place for now, with their activity, we’ll have more to work with as we go. Unfortunately, with my fairly limited experience, D1 still feels like a crapshoot, barring some really obvious slip or discrepancy from someone. I think BM fits the bill best here. (see what I did there?)

-----

Re: Shining’s point on Trfel->Bourneq, I think it’s quite plausible for Trfel to be more of “happy to leave Bourneq alone for now” until a second look when the apparent opinion shift happened, which really got his attention / aroused his suspicion.

-----

... and too slow again apparently. =(
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 20 2015 09:42 GMT
#337
##Vote: plotspot

Goodnight LoneMeow, since it doesn't look like anyone else is left around
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 20 2015 19:31 GMT
#463
Good day. First impressions from skim:

On April 20 2015 23:53 Damdred wrote:
He reloaded the thread and took like 12 hours to actually post anything of any substance and still didn't come to any conclussions and then wasted his vote on a plylnch he never even talked about NOR PUSHED.

On April 20 2015 14:59 cakepie wrote:
Better things to do than policy lynch with plenty of time remaining. isn't there someone else who is even less active?


Try reading between the lines. It's called "go pvote someone else if that's what you're so determined to do". I may be slow, but at least I am present and trying. Go pick on someone else who's even less useful.

Of course, point re:plotspot is moot with the replace, so
##unvote

Still, what you see as inactive / active lurking is really me taking the time trying to dig and find something different than what people have already said, some new insight, rather than just herp-derp null reads all over. It doesn't help that the game is inactive in general but at least I'm making an effort despite having difficulty with D1 reads in general. But to borrow a Japanese proverb, I can't shake sleeves I don't have.

Why not go scrutinize people who seem perfectly happy to stay inactive? Not to OMGUS, but it's starting to get kind of fishy how the case on me is almost lazy easy policy tunnel.

I'll take a closer look at the recent stuff after dealing with some work emails, and try to be a bit more spontaneous today, but it may be a tall order with my available time and innate play style.

cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 20 2015 21:53 GMT
#506
What is this?
On April 21 2015 05:17 Bourneq wrote:
Omg I missvoted, I just realised lmao. That was suppost to be cakepie.


One does not simply "misvote" as town, I figure almost everyone would at least glance to check.
Nonono, this scumbag messed up his marching orders, then left to do other things. Imagine the shouting in their QT!

I think with the mixed student format rather than pure newb game, and coaching, we have a scum team that tries to coordinate. They start by casting light suspicions around, and picking out potentially easy targets (often inactives), without committing. There's a couple of players who did that early on, if you've been inspecting filters you'll see that Bourneq was one of those that fit the criteria. Sometimes, these light-suspicion-lists will include a scumbuddy, just for the sake of mixing it up, or potential bus later on.

As the day develops, scumteam tries to diversify and pick out other targets, try to get a sense of the thread sentiment re: what kind of wagon they can get rolling. They'll make it a point to be on different targets rather than mass wagoning early. They're also hesitant to turn the ignition and add critical mass to a wagon too early, but want to avoid being too late for fear of suspicion of wagoning/sheeping. They generally don't do as well at justifying their reads and votes.

And I conjecture that this is where Bourneq scumbungled. His opinion shift re:Trfel is because he was assigned to "work" on a town leader threat. He didn't justify that terribly well. At the same time, scum is pondering when it is safe to start wagoning onto me. At this juncture, with conflicting priorities on the mind, and needing to be off somewhere but compelled to do something before leaving, he made a mistake. As already pointed out, he actually mentioned Trfel, and not me, while voting Trfel.

##Vote: Bourneq

##FoS: Scott333 for being the other player fitting the scum behavior pattern and that super OMGUS.

I usually prefer to do voting pattern and behavioral analysis later in the game when there is more to work with, but with the low activity and the need for me to contribute I figure let's give it a shot here.

-----

On April 21 2015 06:21 LightningStrike wrote:
He only had 3 games under his belt and he was only town in those games.


<3 someone bothered to check!

Also, I still haven't rolled scum yet!


And stop reading way too much into my post timings, I assure you it's not helpful.

cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 21 2015 00:50 GMT
#546
Here for EoD.

On April 21 2015 09:20 Bourneq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2015 18:42 cakepie wrote:
##Vote: plotspot

Goodnight LoneMeow, since it doesn't look like anyone else is left around


He seems to really dislike policy voting but does it himself, only to retract it when prplhz replaces.


You misinterpret. I was:
1. trying to make a point with that vote re: there are better people to pressure
2. pressure plotspot

The prplhz replace reset the situation with a likelihood that replacement will step up and play (although it hasn't really occurred.)

Also, it should be clear that I am not a "in real time" player, so any timing or proximity of my posting really holds no weight. Stop trying to read into that. Even my apparently later vote on Bourneq, basically got scooped by other votes while I was drafting.

Bourne looks genuine coming in for the EoD, but I know I am town and we're basically in the classic crapshoot I guess.

Oh, and looks like people are piling onto me. Maybe it's a confluence of my style, my late start, and the game inactivity, or maybe this game just isn't for me anymore and it was a mistake to come back. I've been trying to do something different than sheep the same ol things in a game where there is really little to work with. I'm dismayed that it's not appreciated, and only seen as blending in or active lurking. If that's going to get me mislynch then, c'est la vie.

I don't work fast enough for this, so
##Vote: scott
is my best shot atm.

Parting thoughts in a bit in case I do get mislynched.
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 21 2015 00:53 GMT
#552
##Unvote
##Vote: scott


in case that's the reason why my vote didn't count
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 21 2015 00:57 GMT
#566
Leave Lei alone, strong pure noob town read for asking questions in thread. Scum can ask in QT.
I know it's going to look funny with us both coincidentally onto scott last minute but there it is.

I'm voting onto scott because he was FoS behind Bourne who rehabbed himself toward the end.

Keep an eye on BM, I let him be for a bit because the more veteran players thought it was possible he just dun goofed, basically the massclaim thing was due to him casually /in to the game under assumption of certain setup without checking. But it's still weird.
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 21 2015 00:59 GMT
#581
OWS didn't seem terribly invested in the game early on, and he certainly tunnelled me hard. Not without cause, but certainly could have done more to pressure elsewhere. I've been trying really hard to resist OMGUS onto OWS / Damd
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 21 2015 00:59 GMT
#585
LS strong town read for unwilling to wagon
cakepie
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
985 Posts
April 21 2015 01:03 GMT
#595
GG, so ends my ill fated foray back into mafia. Obs plox.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1049
ComeBackTV 950
SteadfastSC943
TaKeTV 570
IndyStarCraft 185
Rex153
EnkiAlexander 87
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 943
IndyStarCraft 185
Rex 153
ProTech128
BRAT_OK 35
MindelVK 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 47972
Bisu 2179
Horang2 1094
Hyuk 987
EffOrt 982
Soma 612
Shuttle 611
Mini 466
BeSt 451
Light 430
[ Show more ]
Larva 347
ZerO 217
Rush 194
Leta 91
firebathero 77
Mong 65
Sea.KH 62
910 61
Snow 53
Pusan 53
Liquid`Ret 46
Sexy 38
Yoon 36
ToSsGirL 35
Trap 30
Aegong 25
Bale 24
JYJ 24
Terrorterran 19
Shine 17
Rock 16
Sacsri 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7646
qojqva1518
Counter-Strike
Fnx 820
fl0m40
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1406
Khaldor1224
Lowko454
Other Games
singsing1972
hiko1685
Beastyqt575
B2W.Neo426
Livibee211
Hui .178
Liquid`VortiX150
KnowMe134
ArmadaUGS121
XaKoH 115
Mew2King78
QueenE77
DeMusliM11
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV205
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream90
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 26
• StrangeGG 18
• Gemini_19 10
• mYiSmile110
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 33
• Michael_bg 7
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3479
Other Games
• Shiphtur253
Upcoming Events
OSC
6h 30m
CranKy Ducklings
18h 30m
Online Event
19h 30m
FEL
1d
AI Arena Tournament
1d 1h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 3h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 18h
INu's Battles
1d 20h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.