• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:48
CEST 14:48
KST 21:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8993 users

[LiquidParty] DotA2 Learning Group ^.^ - Page 27

Forum Index > LoL General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 57 Next
While this thread is labeled "DotA2", this is in fact a community thread first. Many of the users in the TL LoL subforum have been playing as friends for over a year now, so it makes logical sense that they would want to play other games together.

Do not compare DotA2 to LoL, you will get banned.

TL LoL veterans know what is expected. Newcomers be warned.

gl hf
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-05 11:12:06
September 05 2012 11:11 GMT
#521
On September 05 2012 15:11 dnastyx wrote:
I want to learn to play position 2/3 heroes (generally ones that go mid) to help me improve at this shitty game.

Heroes I want to learn:

QoP
Rexxar
Storm Spirit
Puck
Rubick

Am I missing anyone really important (for mid)?

In addition to Rexxar not really going mid and Invoker and Tinker, with competitive gameplay in mind:

Death Prophet is a really nice int carry to learn for push strategies, being able to play her would be really good. Shadow Shaman as well if you want a bit more CC in addition to the push. Templar Assassin would actually be an incredibly valuable tool as a counterpick and as an addition to certain strategies.

If you can play these heroes competitively as a solo mid player for a competitive team you're going to pretty much be immune to bans and are able to pick a hero that suits what your team wants to do, which of course is really good. Of course you can add Windrunner but again I think she's more of a suicidelaner and there's many more uncommon mids that definitely work but I think that these are the ones that are the most important.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
nyxnyxnyx
Profile Joined April 2010
Indonesia2978 Posts
September 05 2012 12:22 GMT
#522
kind of a rant but what I hate about dota2 is there is literally zero hope for the average person to ever get good enough at the game to compete at the highest level of tournaments ie. go competitive
cool beans
Qbek
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Poland12923 Posts
September 05 2012 12:27 GMT
#523
As of now every single progamer has played the game for at least 4 years, many since the start of the mod in WC3 9-8 years ago. While it's not good for newcomers, it means the proscene is actually legit dedicated people with a lot of experience with the game
This space left intentionally dank /)3(\ http://i.imgur.com/RmeEUcF.png
greggy
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom1483 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-05 12:41:10
September 05 2012 12:37 GMT
#524
enigma mid is also fairly common, and I really like necrolyte in pubs, just oneshotting someone at 6 and then run around huehuehueing

@nyx: what about bw? :S


BTW, someone should organise some sort of scrim or maybe even 5man mm games just to get people used to actual teamwork. pubs are so bad it's not even funny
Lyter
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United Kingdom2145 Posts
September 05 2012 12:53 GMT
#525
On September 05 2012 21:22 nyxnyxnyx wrote:
kind of a rant but what I hate about dota2 is there is literally zero hope for the average person to ever get good enough at the game to compete at the highest level of tournaments ie. go competitive


This makes no sense, you are complaining that there is a high enough skill ceiling that it takes a long time to get good at the game?
nyxnyxnyx
Profile Joined April 2010
Indonesia2978 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-05 13:13:52
September 05 2012 13:13 GMT
#526
i'm just saying there is hardly any legitimacy to discussing ways to train and 'get competitive' for dota2. at the highest level it's just not possible.

edit: i am not against people getting better at dota2. the word 'competitive' just irks me with regards to d2
cool beans
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-05 14:43:37
September 05 2012 14:39 GMT
#527
On September 05 2012 15:11 dnastyx wrote:
I want to learn to play position 2/3 heroes (generally ones that go mid) to help me improve at this shitty game.

Heroes I want to learn:

QoP
Rexxar
Storm Spirit
Puck
Rubick

Am I missing anyone really important (for mid)?

I disagree with pople throwing Invoker/Tinker at you. There's a big difference between "Learning hero to improve in general", "Learning hero cause hero = cool" and "learning hero because that's what's common". Sure, Invoker and Tinker see lots of playtime but they are special cases which will make you struggle more with the hero itself than what's actually going on in fights.

From those you mentioned QoP / Rubick are probably the harder ones (the more I play Rubick the more I find him to be like WTF SO HARD T_T), you could think about adding Tidehunter/Sandking/Nightstalker and Lion/Nyx Assassin. None of those are really common, but the combination of burst/cc in their ganks is rather straightforward at first so you can focus on the game / matchup / your team more than on your hero.


Edit:
On September 05 2012 21:22 nyxnyxnyx wrote:
kind of a rant but what I hate about dota2 is there is literally zero hope for the average person to ever get good enough at the game to compete at the highest level of tournaments ie. go competitive

If that IS your goal, then I think it's still possible but it needs more focus. One role (position 3-5 preferred, those lack strong players more than 1/2), 3-4 heroes. Play those for 6 hours a day till you're at the highest MMR, find people to play with (this is the hard part) and in less than a year you'll be at the top level.

I just don't think its lots of fun to do so. =P
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Dommk
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia4865 Posts
September 05 2012 14:51 GMT
#528
On September 05 2012 22:13 nyxnyxnyx wrote:
i'm just saying there is hardly any legitimacy to discussing ways to train and 'get competitive' for dota2. at the highest level it's just not possible.

edit: i am not against people getting better at dota2. the word 'competitive' just irks me with regards to d2

I was watching an interview that got linked in /r/dota2 with a LoL pro called Scarra (sp?), and he was saying that you would need to play at least 5000 LoL games before you could ever go Pro.

I think in terms of DotA 2, if you played 5000games then you would easily have enough knowledge to be able to compete, presuming you had the skill to back it up.
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
September 05 2012 15:08 GMT
#529
On September 05 2012 21:22 nyxnyxnyx wrote:
kind of a rant but what I hate about dota2 is there is literally zero hope for the average person to ever get good enough at the game to compete at the highest level of tournaments ie. go competitive

Why not?

In technical skill I really don't think I'm far behind the top players apart from lasthitting, nowadays I even can instantly use courier to shop and buy items instantly with shift-queue'd movement ^^

After that it's all experience and gamesense just like... in every other game. I'm sure lasthitting will come eventually, too.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-05 15:32:11
September 05 2012 15:19 GMT
#530
Shikyo.........

In technical skill I really don't think I'm far behind the top players apart from lasthitting

Can you please do me the favor and not drag the same things that enabled people to not respect some of your opinions in League over to DotA 2?

I would really, really appreciate that.


Overestimating yourself isn't a good basis to get along in an environment that's designed to learn stuff and improve.

Edit: That's a big fat "pretty please", not a "omggtfo". :o
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-05 16:56:52
September 05 2012 16:38 GMT
#531
On September 05 2012 23:51 Dommk wrote:
I think in terms of DotA 2, if you played 5000games then you would easily have enough knowledge to be able to compete, presuming you had the skill to back it up.

I'm not even sure 5000 games gets you to level 70 on the Chinese VS System ladder lol.

As far as "going pro" goes, well it sort of depends what you mean. Obviously there are a lot of mediocre western teams, some of which are built on fresh talent and doing quite well (PotM Bottom for example). But it's really questionable whether any of those teams go anywhere in the long run, and whether it's worth your time and effort to think about whether you can "go pro" for just that level. For the most part it's going to be strictly for your own leisure, so there's very little point in thinking "X hero isn't played this way in competitive games" or "Y hero isn't that strong".
Moderator
Slusher
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States19143 Posts
September 05 2012 17:12 GMT
#532
what is the situation like for getting your preferred position champion in pubs?
Carrilord has arrived.
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-05 17:46:04
September 05 2012 17:40 GMT
#533
On September 06 2012 00:19 r.Evo wrote:
Shikyo.........

Show nested quote +
In technical skill I really don't think I'm far behind the top players apart from lasthitting

Can you please do me the favor and not drag the same things that enabled people to not respect some of your opinions in League over to DotA 2?

I would really, really appreciate that.


Overestimating yourself isn't a good basis to get along in an environment that's designed to learn stuff and improve.

Edit: That's a big fat "pretty please", not a "omggtfo". :o

Well you see the original point was about it being impossible to get good enough and my point was about practice making perfect - Though I definitely did overestimate myself in that statement However, try to take the underlying message of "be confident in yourself" instead!

Hmm and 5000 games? Let's try to reach that! By the way after I learn DotA2 a bit more I'd love to play with you guys~ Though it'll only be hardcarry or no play so I probably can't play that much.

On September 06 2012 02:12 Slusher wrote:
what is the situation like for getting your preferred position champion in pubs?

I instalock Phantom Assassin in 0.1 seconds every single game regardless of what anyone else picks, naturally.

Thus far I've gotten easy lane with support perhaps half the time, a bit less.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
Slusher
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States19143 Posts
September 05 2012 18:02 GMT
#534
I've been goofing around with TA mid in some bot games to try and learn how to play it, if I understand from the casting at the international it's actually not common for TA to play the 2, but it seems to make a lot of sense to me.

I have no real interest in 1, 3 I like Broodmother but thats really it, and otherwise I just like 5s like earth shaker, (is sk viable as a 5?)
Carrilord has arrived.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
September 05 2012 18:14 GMT
#535
On September 06 2012 03:02 Slusher wrote:
I've been goofing around with TA mid in some bot games to try and learn how to play it, if I understand from the casting at the international it's actually not common for TA to play the 2, but it seems to make a lot of sense to me.

She's almost always played 2nd position. o.O
Moderator
greggy
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom1483 Posts
September 05 2012 18:34 GMT
#536
On September 06 2012 03:02 Slusher wrote:
I've been goofing around with TA mid in some bot games to try and learn how to play it, if I understand from the casting at the international it's actually not common for TA to play the 2, but it seems to make a lot of sense to me.

I have no real interest in 1, 3 I like Broodmother but thats really it, and otherwise I just like 5s like earth shaker, (is sk viable as a 5?)


ta needs levels and putting her long lane is just pointless because she gets shafted hard by dust/sentry. plus, refraction means you never miss a last hit -.-
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
September 05 2012 18:42 GMT
#537
AFAIK blink dagger supports really should be 4 instead of 5
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
Slusher
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States19143 Posts
September 05 2012 18:57 GMT
#538
idk mabye I misunderstood but I thought they were expressing that it was weird that ig ran her mid.

I really like playing shadow shaman, venomancer and earth shaker support, but to be honest a lot of it is because it takes the stress of having no idea what half the items are yet away.

on that note any good TA mid builds you could share with me would be appreciated, been going for manta style as first major item since battle fury seems like it's covered by E, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing any help is appreciated.
Carrilord has arrived.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
September 05 2012 19:01 GMT
#539
TA items are very flexible. If you want a good cookie-cutter build for starting out, you'd want something like Phase->Blink->BKB->Deso, but honestly there's a lot of intricacies to properly selecting items/item order on TA--more so than most heroes.
Moderator
arnath
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1317 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-05 19:05:17
September 05 2012 19:03 GMT
#540
You guys are all getting really caught up in this "position" thing when it really barely matters in pubs. There are certain heroes I wouldn't pick without knowing I was going to go mid (Nyx Assassin, Invoker, Tinker, etc.) but beyond that you should just pick a hero you want to play and go to a lane, especially when you're still learning how to play. That said, picking a carry when your team already has 2 or 3 of them is generally a poor decision.

In answer to some questions asked above:

TA is almost always played mid because of a couple things.
a) She's really strong when she hits level 6 early and trails off late game unless you get some kills early.
b) Being mid lets you really abuse Psi Blades and Refraction to abuse your opponent because there's not much space for them to maneuver.
c) She makes good use of Bottle because you need some mana regen to really harass/gank/kill effectively.
For items, I agree with Yango on a general build. I wouldn't buy Manta on her.

Sand King is generally played as a support, although if I had to put a number on it I would call it a 4. I would argue the difference between 4 and 5 is that 5 is generally buying most of the wards while 4 is trying to farm up some specific item like a Blink Dagger or a BKB. As SK your goal should be to get Arcanes and Blink Dagger as soon as possible.
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 57 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Zoun vs herOLIVE!
SHIN vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1344
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 275
Rex 89
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 56985
Calm 3717
Shuttle 3488
FanTaSy 1578
Bisu 1516
firebathero 367
Stork 333
Mini 286
Hyuk 271
Rush 250
[ Show more ]
Soma 246
EffOrt 230
Zeus 226
Soulkey 178
actioN 157
Last 150
Light 145
ZerO 131
Snow 112
Dewaltoss 67
Mong 66
Killer 65
Barracks 54
Pusan 49
hero 42
JYJ 42
PianO 40
NotJumperer 37
Shinee 37
Free 36
Bale 33
ToSsGirL 31
Hyun 30
Aegong 28
Sharp 27
Shine 26
sorry 19
yabsab 18
HiyA 14
Sacsri 13
Noble 11
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc5882
Dendi629
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1389
kRYSTAL_310
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King112
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko379
Other Games
gofns36261
singsing2055
B2W.Neo845
crisheroes276
hiko236
DeMusliM216
Livibee133
byalli129
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV214
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 32
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
12m
OSC
9h 27m
Replay Cast
10h 12m
OSC
1d 10h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 21h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.