• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:02
CEST 01:02
KST 08:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6034 users

Interview with Justing: "...We've just caught up"

Forum Index > Heroes of the Storm
Post a Reply
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-03 13:23:37
March 03 2017 13:23 GMT
#1

Interview

With
Justing

Written by: Midseasons




It seems hard to believe now that Team 8 was considered NA’s underdog at the start of HGC. Initial rankings of the teams, including our own, put Team 8 at the bottom. Brought together by popular streamer Jaehyng “chu8” Park and then abandoned by him after qualifying, Team 8 looked to many to be out of place among the other teams. Just listen to the skepticism in Dreadnaught’s voice right before Team 8’s very first game in Week 1.

But the confident young team opened their season in convincing fashion. By Week 3, when the still-undefeated Team 8 played against reigning North American champions Tempo Storm, people were already anticipating the series as a contest between equals. As one of the earliest teams to clinch their spot in this weekend’s Western Clash, no one is doubting Team 8 any longer.

Justin “Justing” Gapp has been a huge part of his team’s success. A tank player from the game’s earliest days, Justing’s strong play and impeccable statistics made him the darling of analysts and casters evaluating Team 8’s success. His lauded 100% winrate on Diablo was part of the narrative for the series against Tempo Storm as the casters drew comparisons between Justing and Fury. These two teams, along with Gale Force Esports, have been definitively proven that they are the three best teams in North America.

Gale Force Esports doesn’t have a dedicated tank player (see my earlier interview with GFE flex player Khroen for more on that), meaning that there isn’t much other competition to prevent Justing from being declared one of the best tanks in the region.

Ever humble and eminently approachable, Justing had to rush to catch a flight to Katowice this week but still made time to share emails with me for an interview beforehand. I asked him about his team’s eye-opening success, how he feels Team 8 compares to his previous teams, and I also tried to get a brief idea of where his mind is regarding tanks on the other side of the Atlantic.



Hello Justing! First of all, congratulations on qualifying for Katowice! I’ve become a huge fan over the course of HGC Phase 1.
Thanks a lot! It's really weird to me to hear that we have fans, and it's awesome to get recognition for the improvement we've all made.


Tell me about your early days. What was your competitive background before Heroes came around? What drew you to Heroes in particular, when you decided to focus on it?
I grew up playing Blizzard games starting with Warcraft 2 at a very young age and played Warcraft 3 and WoW until League of Legends came out. I got gold in season one then mostly just played for fun with my real life friends until I got an alpha invite for Heroes of the Storm where I was instantly hooked (maining Stitches of course).

This was the moment I fell in love with Heroes:


Myself and buds, who was a good friend of mine, played in alpha competitively but couldn't really pursue it since the scene was too small at the time. We made our first amateur team in October of 2015.


You started out with Team Higher Consciousness, which became Team Name Change. That roster did well in qualifiers, but it didn’t quite have the convincing dominance that Team 8 has shown. You guys have surpassed all expectations to reach the top of the NA region now, so…why is it your time now? What magic did you guys come across?
Myself and buds had never joined a team before making our own, so we literally learned the game from scratch. We made an amateur team which eventually became a top 8 team, and up until this current roster, I had never heard another person shotcall.

[image loading]
Justing playing for Team Name Change in the 2016 Fall Regional


We all play very aggressive, and we trust each other; we probably have the best team atmosphere at the Clash. Glaurung shotcalling allows me to focus much more on my own play, and I think that we've just caught up to the veterans by putting in more time.


buds and Prismaticism were also on TNC with you. Does Team 8 feel like a continuation of that legacy, or do you feel it has a distinct identity?
I definitely am happy to reunite with Prismaticism, as he's very aggressive in-game and we've always hung out at the past LANs, even when on different teams. I've been playing with buds since the beginning so there is always the trust between us in-game. I think our team has a very different identity now, but I'm enjoying it. I feel like it’s a great combination of what we learned on TNC as well as what Glaurung has learned on his previous teams.


Looking ahead to the Clash, is it mostly the EU teams that are on your mind, or are you still preparing for possible rematches with Gale Force or Tempo Storm?
We are mostly just focused on the EU teams because we already have a good understanding of how GFE and Tempo Storm play. I am really looking forward to seeing how the EU teams play and what we can learn from them.


For all of you except Glaurung, it’s going to be a new experience facing teams outside of the NA region. How does it feel to be facing your first international rivals?
I am extremely excited to see how we match up against the EU powerhouses. I am not too nervous about facing them, but I respect them a lot, and regardless of the outcome, I hope to learn as much as possible.


Between Misfits, Fnatic, and Dignitas, which do you think will be your toughest challenge?
I think Misfits and Fnatic are both very strong teams, but we absolutely won't underestimate Dignitas. I have watched Fnatic play quite a lot, and I respect Breez in particular quite a lot. I really want to see how I match up against him, and regardless of outcome, it will give me good VoDs to study.


Do you have any personal goals you’re hoping to accomplish or prove at Katowice?
I just want my team to learn and grow from this experience since we are a very new team with a lot of potential. I think we've already proven ourselves in NA by qualifying.


Among the teams in HGC Europe, Team expert had a similar storyline to Team 8, but in the end you qualified for Katowice while they didn’t. Does Team 8 have something that expert doesn’t?
I don't know their team well enough to answer with confidence, but one thing we have going for us is we all get along really well in and out of game, and we talk out all of our problems. Everyone is trying their best to help each other improve, and we all take/give criticism extremely well.


Early on in the season, you were praised for your Diablo play, but as the weeks have gone on, you’ve become one of the standout Varians in NA. What draws you to the tank role, and features does a Warrior need to make you to want to play that hero?
I believe the tank role is the most methodical role. Since I made my own team initially, I fell into the tank role out of necessity so I could call the engages, disengages, etc. The tank tends to control the flow of the game and is mostly decision making, not mechanics. I really like the warriors with high impact ultimates (E.T.C.) or the ability to punish people out of position (Varian).


If you weren’t the team’s main tank, what other role would you enjoy playing?
Melee/Flex would be my preferred role. I like making plays on melee heroes, and that role would allow me to play my one-trick from alpha, Abathur.


How do you feel about the state of the tank meta? Are there enough viable Warriors right now, or do some options stand out too far?
I think right now is by far the best meta to play tank. There are many viable tank options that are good with or versus specific heroes, on specific maps, etc.


Korea helped make Varian popular in HGC, and Europe is fond of surprising picks like Arthas and Anub’arak. Is there a tank hero that feels distinctly NA right now?
I feel like everyone in NA is forcing the E.T.C. pick all of a sudden even though they mostly hated him before his rework. He has been my favorite tank since the Muradin first pick every game meta, and even I don't think it's right to prioritize him every single game.


There’s going to be a nice long break in NA after the Western Clash. Win or lose, how is Team 8 going to stay sharp during the four weeks of off-time?
We are taking a little while off between the Clash and the start of normal HGC games so we can clear our heads and get rid of any bad habits we might have picked up. As soon as we get back, it'll be practice, practice, practice, and I know I will watch the Katowice VoDs more than once.


Lightning Round
Breez!
KAEL'THAS KAEL'THAS KAEL'THAS

Fury!
One of the nicest players I've met.

Equinox!
He does not follow the rules.

JayPL!
He owes me 30 Hero League MMR on HOTS Logs.

Khroen!
He's getting good at the tank role really quick.

Wubby!
I've seen him do really well on Dehaka and Tyrael.

Blumbi!
Super consistent.


Team 8 has no sponsor, but your team has made a lot of fans these past few weeks. What’s the best way for all these fans to support you and each other?
The best way to support us for now is to follow us on Twitter/Twitch. I respond to everything on Twitter and try my best to respond to the chat when I stream.

  • Justing
  • buds
  • Glaurung
  • Prismaticism
  • YoDa


Here are the links to our Twitter accounts. I really appreciate all the support!




Writer(s): Midseasons
Interview(s): Midseasons
Design: shiroiusagi
Photo Credit: Blizzard

StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
Midseasons
Profile Joined February 2017
United States48 Posts
March 03 2017 13:29 GMT
#2
I have to give a big shout-out to Team 8's manager Shippy for coordinating the schedules and emails during such a busy time of preparation and travel for the team! This interview couldn't have happened without her.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 58m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 506
White-Ra 145
910 50
Dota 2
monkeys_forever327
NeuroSwarm161
Super Smash Bros
PPMD83
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9104
Liquid`Hasu1418
Trikslyr84
Other Games
summit1g8431
Liquid`RaSZi2943
shahzam556
JimRising 361
C9.Mang0207
B2W.Neo162
ArmadaUGS62
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream314
Other Games
BasetradeTV247
gamesdonequick246
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 151
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1042
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 58m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 58m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.