• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:10
CEST 03:10
KST 10:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7059 users

Interview with Khroen: "I like being invincible"

Forum Index > Heroes of the Storm
Post a Reply
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-02-08 19:03:50
February 08 2017 19:01 GMT
#1

Interview

With
Khroen

Written by: Midseasons




Twelve teams gathered at DreamHack Austin in June 2016 for the Heroes of the Storm Global Summer Championship. Representing North America, Khalif “Khroen” Hashim of Gale Force eSports was making himself known on the global stage as a mage to be feared. The team didn’t make it out of group stage that day, but their showing still earned Khroen the respect of Korean team Tempest, who then went on to become the world champions in that same tournament. When Tempest player duckdeok embraced the team’s trophy, he won something else that made him excited too—Khroen’s GFE-branded hair pick.

Now in 2017, with an all-new HGC format, Khroen is just as vital to Gale Force as ever. Only now instead of Magic Missiles and Arcane Orbs, he’s landing Storm Bolts and Stage Dives to swing the momentum in his team’s favor. Following the first week of games, I had a chance to speak with Khroen over Discord about the warrior role, his adjustment to the change, and what he thinks of the current tank meta.

Going from a back line ranged assassin to front line warrior is a completely different set of instincts and style of play, but GFE’s strong performance so far speaks for itself. Khroen’s warrior play is real, and while we’re likely to still see him on his signature mages, the newfound versatility is here to stay. With teammates Equinox, Fan, and MichaelUdall just as capable of taking on other roles, GFE now consists of four players that can be classified in the flex position. “In short,” Khroen explained, “a flex player is someone who can play multiple roles if needed. They’ll usually have a role they mainly play, but can ‘flex’ onto other roles according to how the draft goes.”

That flexibility is unique to GFE’s roster, and other teams don’t seem to realize it yet. In the pre-match promo video, B-Step’s McIntyre called out Khroen’s potential weakness and wondered why Gale Force “moved their ranged player to tank.”

[image loading]
Khroen joking around onstage at ESL Burbank


“I actually love that quote,” Khroen answered when I asked him about it. “It makes me laugh, partly because he seemed confused as to why the change occurred. I hope he, uh, understands a bit more now that every game I was on a tank versus his team in Week 1, Gale Force won. It was a blanket statement though, and I think everyone realizes I still do play ranged heroes. I just sometimes will be seen on tank depending on how the draft goes.”

Khroen isn’t the only flex player on his team; Fan and Equinox became known for their wide hero pools back in Heroes of the Dorm 2015 and Murloc Geniuses, respectively. But Khroen’s reputation in the scene was largely made through his ranged play, and so the warrior picks have been more noticeable. I wondered, though, whether this was a change for Khroen as well or if it was just allowing the rest of us to see a side of his play that had always been there, unnoticed. “The change is somewhat new,” he admitted. “It started during scrims one day, a bit after we picked up Equinox. We were experimenting in draft and ended up with a double tank composition and three other heroes that I didn’t play. I ended up jokingly saying, ‘Just give me Mura man, I’m Mura GOD.’ We went with it.”

It paid off. “We absolutely destroyed that game, and I think I only missed like one or two stuns. All five of us were surprised. Then we just kept on trying it out, I think I went on a record of something like 15 wins and 0 losses on Muradin in scrims until we scrimmed some of the EU teams that were in the States for BlizzCon, and ended up losing to one of them.”

For all the success, Khroen is honest about the transition process. “Tl;dr—I’m still adjusting. Sometimes I do find myself being a little bit far back when just starting the game on a warrior, but I’ve been getting a lot better at recognizing how to play both styles at every point of the game. It would probably be a bit different if I only played warrior; I would be even better at the ones I do play, and pretty comfortable on more of them.”

But for a game like Heroes of the Storm, having a flexible pool of abilities can only be a strength, and as Khroen’s skills broaden, that points to good things for his team. “I think my experience playing ranged assassin for so long helps me recognize how to exploit the weakness of an enemy team’s ranged assassin when I’m playing a warrior. Vice versa, my experience playing warriors now helps me to be a stronger ranged assassin player, as I’m more actively aware of how that warrior player is trying to exploit my weaknesses.”

[image loading]
Khroen focusing on his gameplay at PAX West


Assassin players at all levels in Heroes of the Storm have a wealth of options, but other classes do not. While every hero has their place in the game, the ecosystem of supports and tank-capable warriors can be a delicate balance in drafts from Bronze upwards, and players of those roles are the ones most affected by meta shifts. Even beyond the changes in playstyle and mindset required to switch between mage and warrior, the warrior-specific meta in HGC is a world Khroen needs to learn as well, and he already has informed opinions: “Heroes serve their own unique purpose, and Blizzard is really great at designing them. The warriors you’d usually see in the main tank position I believe are in a good spot right now.”

I moved the conversation to specific heroes. “I think that a lot of teams are scared of good Artanis players because they don’t have much practice against it,” Khroen answered about the here that has utterly dominated North American drafts. “And they don’t want to get caught off guard and randomly get double swapped and lose the game instantly.”

Over the weekend we saw a lot of double and even triple Warrior comps from teams, but even more importantly, fans got to see both EU and NA matches being played throughout the same day. Is there a difference in how each region’s meta approaches the Warrior heroes? “EU favors playing Leoric a lot more than NA,” he tells me. “And they run double warrior compositions with another melee assassin. NA teams are more inclined to pick double warrior only, or one warrior and one melee assassin for their front lines.”

One Warrior in particular hasn’t entered into conversations about HGC at all though. I decided to bring her up myself. “Sonya,” Khroen tells me with a sad face, “is not a good hero in this meta.”

But E.T.C. is. Khroen identifies him as the strongest objective warrior as well as the one most fun to play. He also has two strong Heroic ability options at level 10, and Khroen’s shown aptitude with both. In a Braxis Holdout game against B-Step, Khroen kept his Heroic choice hidden for almost an entire minute. 50 seconds after GFE hit level 10, Khroen clutches the perfect opportunity to dive in and save Equinox. Having lost their first game in the series, that moment swings the game—if not the whole series—into Gale Force’s favor.

“Optimally on heroes that have multiple Heroic abilities, you want to hide it to deny information from the enemy team. If I saw an opportunity to get a three or four man Mosh Pit in the bottom lane first, I would’ve slid on it and instantly taken Mosh. Stage Dive in that game was effective in the long run for point control and being able to instantly join the fight on the other side of the map.” We continued discussing the multiple Stage Dive opportunities from the game. “I remember we were 16 and they were 14,” Khroen told me. “Invading their bruiser camp, I stage dove in the bush behind them when they were retreating and nearly got punished for it. Honestly, that’s the most memorable one, because I wish I had done it a bit earlier before they could get in a position to punish me for going too far, and hopefully have secured kills.” Even fresh after a victory, Khroen looks for mistakes to improve on.

[image loading]
Gale Force eSports at PAX West


The story that will stick out in everyone’s memory in that series was B-Step’s failed attempt to take the boss on Game Five. While all eyes were on Holy Ground, it was Khroen who captured the boss for GFE by walking onto the point unopposed. “It was unlikely for us to win that fight, but we had to take it otherwise we lose. We knew Tyrael had used his Holy Ground, and by some miracle Expulsion Zone cancelled Brightwing’s Emerald Wind, so I was able to just walk onto it for free.” It’s a moment that made it onto highlight reels. But how did it feel in the heat of things? Khroen had a simple answer: “FeelsGoodMan”.

Later that week against Naventic, Khroen played Muradin again on Towers of Doom. Gale Force’s heavy emphasis on global mobility allowed the whole team to come to Khroen’s side at a moment’s notice and enabled him to roam and jump in aggressively. “That’s a comp we’re comfortable on, so I knew what I could get away with. We were able to execute the same thing versus Vox Nihili in the first HGC qualifier to secure our spot in HGC 2017,” Khroen reminds me, showing that the style is more than a one-off occurrence. “Feels rewarding to be able to execute it so well over and over. I think it’s something teams are going to become afraid of. I believe the fight we were a talent up, and I was level 13 Muradin—essentially meaning that I can use Avatar and NEVER die with Healing Static—I jumped onto the Altar, survived, and my team did the rest.” Khroen smiles. “I like being invincible.”

That’s the feeling that makes warrior play rewarding, and it’s clear Khroen’s enjoying his taste of it. In the last moments before I lost his attention, I had one definite question in my mind: When will we see him play Diablo in HGC?

“Soon™,” he answered. As it turned out, Soon™ meant GFE’s very next series against Team Freedom. Fans of Gale Force eSports will be glad to know Khroen-time can move very quickly.



    Full VoDs:
    • vs B-Step (Braxis Holdout)
    • vs B-Step (Sky Temple)
    • vs Naventic (Towers of Doom)
    • vs Team Freedom (Battlefield of Eternity)


A huge thanks to Khroen for sitting down to talk with us, and good luck to Gale Force eSports in HGC!




Writer(s): Midseasons
Interview(s): Midseasons
Editor(s): EsportsJohn
Design: shiroiusagi
Photo Credit: ESL


StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
Zambrah
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States7393 Posts
February 09 2017 20:36 GMT
#2
Awesome interview, Im definitely more of a GFE fan now. :D

Also glad to have the content! I really appreciate stuff like this and the work you guys put in to get it and make it look all nice and shiny for us!
Incremental change is the Democrat version of Trickle Down economics.
Midseasons
Profile Joined February 2017
United States48 Posts
February 12 2017 22:16 GMT
#3
On February 10 2017 05:36 Zambrah wrote:
Awesome interview, Im definitely more of a GFE fan now. :D

Also glad to have the content! I really appreciate stuff like this and the work you guys put in to get it and make it look all nice and shiny for us!


It was really fun to do; Khroen's a great guy!


Also important update re: Sonya changes in the Valeera patch:

[image loading]
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings63
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 142
RuFF_SC2 31
ProTech14
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15198
Rain 2273
Artosis 622
Bale 18
League of Legends
Doublelift3772
Counter-Strike
taco 265
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox673
Mew2King192
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor981
Other Games
summit1g8558
Day[9].tv655
JimRising 542
PiGStarcraft334
C9.Mang0248
ArmadaUGS69
ViBE55
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV178
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream87
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 146
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP50
• Letter141
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv655
• Scarra574
• Shiphtur191
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
11h 51m
OSC
20h 51m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 8h
Online Event
1d 9h
FEL
1d 14h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 15h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 17h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.