• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:38
CEST 04:38
KST 11:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9390 users

[Guide] Solving The Rubik's Cube - Page 8

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
rKzzz
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany58 Posts
October 23 2011 16:23 GMT
#141
You can achieve sub-20 with lbl and sub-15 with petrus maybe even less. Fridrich is the main speedcubing method though and all 3x3 world records (excluding 1982) have been achieved with it. Top cubers average as low as sub-8 of 10 solves with it.
Go slow and look ahead.
ThePhan2m
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Norway2751 Posts
October 23 2011 16:34 GMT
#142
I actually learnt the Rubix cube like over a year ago. I remember this thread and it was one of my goals to learn it. I spent about 2 hours on YouTube to learn the algorithms... I made it look harder than it seemed. Now its pretty easy. Got a personal record on about 1 min. I've also learnt it to 10+ people at my school. Cubing really is fun :D I also learnt the 4x4 & 5x5. Next step is to learn the Petrus method on the 3x3.
.DrK
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada326 Posts
October 24 2011 07:31 GMT
#143
i use fridrich's method and a year or so ago my average was around 20 seconds. haven't cubed in a while, but i think i can solve at around 35 seconds no problem now.
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
October 24 2011 08:01 GMT
#144
I can get 1 minute easily if I had a decent cube. The main problem is that if you don't play as much, or you play too much, it gets very sticky and it's a huge pain to relube it every other week. So I've given up. Just one of the fun things you have to learn in life, and now it's not a super mystery like it was before. Still impresses some people, while being called a nerd by others. Hehe.

Haven't tried the other methods because there's a lot more things to do nowadays, and it's enough that I can solve it; I don't feel like I need to be good good.
There is no one like you in the universe.
NEXUS6
Profile Joined July 2011
United States413 Posts
October 24 2011 19:07 GMT
#145
I remember back in the day I could solve one of these puppies pretty fast even almost figured out the 4x4
Xiphias
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway2223 Posts
November 30 2011 09:19 GMT
#146
On October 11 2011 03:39 Orpheos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2011 01:04 Hoon wrote:
On October 10 2011 23:07 Xiphias wrote:
I did not read all.... BUT I am going to write my master thesis in group theory by analyzing the rubics cube, so I might have something to add when I am done (in May next year... ). I probably won't look at speed solving, but at solvability (solving algortihmes that always will work, however slow), orbits (for those who know what that is) and subgroups.

- Xiphias

Dude, whats you major?
I'm really interested in your master thesis as I'm a big fan of Rubik's cube in general. :D


hes probably a math major. group theory is very pertinent to the designing of algorithms for OLL and PLL because the easier/more intuitive algorithms are essentially performing a set of actions, then something in the middle to displace or orient some pieces and then doing and inversion of the first set of actions.


Yes, math major is correct. It will be a study in symmetry groups. Haven't started writing it yet though.
aka KanBan85. Working on Starbow.
Dirkzor
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Denmark1944 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-11 12:49:19
July 11 2012 12:42 GMT
#147
Okay question... I learned this with a working corner on the first layer and then solved the last corner peices (4 on 3rd layer and the working corner on the 1st layer) using these algorithms:

When using these you move the block from the Front upper left corner to the Back buttom right corner. So which ever peice I want to move starts at Front upper Left corner.

L B2 L' U/U2/U' (depending on which I corner from the 3rd layer I want move to the working corner position) L B2 L.
F' B2 F U/U2/U' (See above) F' B2 F.

Then just use these 2 to get all the corners in the correct position AND correct orientation.

I have the working corner away from me at the buttom and the 4 corners from the 3rd layer on top.

Maybe I can't remember all from that guide I used but I seem to e unable to orient the corner peices correctly using only these 2 algorithms. I can't find the guide I used and every other guide I find uses the method from the OP. I can combine the 2 by solving the working corner peice and then just use the OP way, but I would like to know how to solve it "my way" and if someone could tell me what I'm missing...

Reason I want this method is that It is intuitive for me and I really don't remember any algorithms at all (Only wrote it down so you might understand what I'm doing)

If anyone can find the/a guide which solved it like this I would be grateful.

Thanks!



"HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ON TOP AGAIN???? HOW DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS????" -Julmust (also, thats what she said)
Slithe
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States985 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-16 19:11:51
July 16 2012 19:01 GMT
#148
On July 11 2012 21:42 Dirkzor wrote:
Okay question... I learned this with a working corner on the first layer and then solved the last corner peices (4 on 3rd layer and the working corner on the 1st layer) using these algorithms:

When using these you move the block from the Front upper left corner to the Back buttom right corner. So which ever peice I want to move starts at Front upper Left corner.

L B2 L' U/U2/U' (depending on which I corner from the 3rd layer I want move to the working corner position) L B2 L.
F' B2 F U/U2/U' (See above) F' B2 F.

Then just use these 2 to get all the corners in the correct position AND correct orientation.

I have the working corner away from me at the buttom and the 4 corners from the 3rd layer on top.

Maybe I can't remember all from that guide I used but I seem to e unable to orient the corner peices correctly using only these 2 algorithms. I can't find the guide I used and every other guide I find uses the method from the OP. I can combine the 2 by solving the working corner peice and then just use the OP way, but I would like to know how to solve it "my way" and if someone could tell me what I'm missing...

Reason I want this method is that It is intuitive for me and I really don't remember any algorithms at all (Only wrote it down so you might understand what I'm doing)

If anyone can find the/a guide which solved it like this I would be grateful.

Thanks!




At first I wasn't quite able to figure out what your algorithms are trying to do. I think you mixed up the notation, and whenever you wrote B (back face), you actually meant D (down face). Also I think there's a mistake in your first alg, the last L should be L'.

Hopefully what i said is true, because otherwise I just wasted a lot of time with the rest of this post lol.

The two algorithms you listed are actually mirror images of each other, and you have to use the correct one based on what the current orientation of the corner already is.

[image loading]
For the white-green-orange corner, if the white color is facing to the right, then you want to do the first alg. Otherwise, you want to do the second alg. BTW, the working corner is in the back bottom and not visible from this POV.

In the case of the first cube in my picture, I'd have to do one extra move (either U or U', doesn't matter) because of the position of the corner. Example Alg:
U' L D2 L' U L D2 L'

Final Note: One thing I noticed about this algorithm is that it only moves 3 of the corners, and keeps all the other pieces in place. Is this an intentional result because your method needs to maintain all the other pieces? The reason I ask is because if all you're trying to do is solve the first layer corners, you can do it much more efficiently (3-4 moves instead of 7-8).
RobiTL
Profile Joined July 2010
France55 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-16 19:22:24
July 16 2012 19:22 GMT
#149
Thanks to you I bought a rubik's cube and managed to solve it in under 1m30s (i changed the algorithms a little though)
Born to be Zerg
FullNatural
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States180 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-01 03:10:10
August 01 2012 02:57 GMT
#150
.
Dirkzor
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Denmark1944 Posts
August 01 2012 07:40 GMT
#151
I totally forgot to answer you Slithe. You were right that I miswrote my algorithm. The one you wrote was the one I was thinking about. I figured this out on my own eventually but thank anyway.

And yes I use this method to keep all other peices where they are since I solve the upper layer corners + the working corner in the buttom layer last. So I solve buttom layer (minus the working corner), mid layer, upper layer cross, upper layer corners + working corner.
"HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ON TOP AGAIN???? HOW DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS????" -Julmust (also, thats what she said)
yokohama
Profile Joined February 2005
United States1116 Posts
August 01 2012 07:56 GMT
#152
I started learning Fridrich Method the other day and even doing it slowly it has cut my time significantly on the f2l compared to the beginner method. I am having trouble though once i have 3 out of 4 sides finding the correct way to quickly get my 4th pair together without messing up the others.
Xiphias
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway2223 Posts
August 10 2012 07:12 GMT
#153
On November 30 2011 18:19 Xiphias wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2011 03:39 Orpheos wrote:
On October 11 2011 01:04 Hoon wrote:
On October 10 2011 23:07 Xiphias wrote:
I did not read all.... BUT I am going to write my master thesis in group theory by analyzing the rubics cube, so I might have something to add when I am done (in May next year... ). I probably won't look at speed solving, but at solvability (solving algortihmes that always will work, however slow), orbits (for those who know what that is) and subgroups.

- Xiphias

Dude, whats you major?
I'm really interested in your master thesis as I'm a big fan of Rubik's cube in general. :D


hes probably a math major. group theory is very pertinent to the designing of algorithms for OLL and PLL because the easier/more intuitive algorithms are essentially performing a set of actions, then something in the middle to displace or orient some pieces and then doing and inversion of the first set of actions.


Yes, math major is correct. It will be a study in symmetry groups. Haven't started writing it yet though.


Thesis done! Bringing up this thread again to post my thesis if anyone is interessted in reading it:

http://www.duo.uio.no/publ/matematikk/2012/165653/MasterthesisCarlJoakimIsaksen.pdf

- Xiphias
aka KanBan85. Working on Starbow.
starfries
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada3508 Posts
August 10 2012 19:37 GMT
#154
On August 10 2012 16:12 Xiphias wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2011 18:19 Xiphias wrote:
On October 11 2011 03:39 Orpheos wrote:
On October 11 2011 01:04 Hoon wrote:
On October 10 2011 23:07 Xiphias wrote:
I did not read all.... BUT I am going to write my master thesis in group theory by analyzing the rubics cube, so I might have something to add when I am done (in May next year... ). I probably won't look at speed solving, but at solvability (solving algortihmes that always will work, however slow), orbits (for those who know what that is) and subgroups.

- Xiphias

Dude, whats you major?
I'm really interested in your master thesis as I'm a big fan of Rubik's cube in general. :D


hes probably a math major. group theory is very pertinent to the designing of algorithms for OLL and PLL because the easier/more intuitive algorithms are essentially performing a set of actions, then something in the middle to displace or orient some pieces and then doing and inversion of the first set of actions.


Yes, math major is correct. It will be a study in symmetry groups. Haven't started writing it yet though.


Thesis done! Bringing up this thread again to post my thesis if anyone is interessted in reading it:

http://www.duo.uio.no/publ/matematikk/2012/165653/MasterthesisCarlJoakimIsaksen.pdf

- Xiphias

about to read it, but this caught my attention:

I typed “math” in wikipedia to see what sort of definition it would give me.
I soon forgot why I was looking up “math”

story of my life.
DJ – do you like ramen, Savior? Savior – not really. Bisu – I eat it often. Flash – I’m a maniac! | Foxer Fighting!
FullNatural
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States180 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-26 22:11:14
August 11 2012 00:53 GMT
#155
.
FullNatural
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States180 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-12 03:57:23
August 16 2012 02:33 GMT
#156
.
Psychonian
Profile Joined March 2012
United States2322 Posts
November 23 2012 20:08 GMT
#157
Bumping this because I am mentally exhausted from doing this damn thing and also because people will want to see it.
Trans Rights
D4V3Z02
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany693 Posts
November 23 2012 20:13 GMT
#158
Well, solving the immortal sentry all in looks harder than this huh?
http://www.twitch.tv/d4v3z02 all your base are belong to overlord
smokeyhoodoo
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1021 Posts
November 24 2012 06:33 GMT
#159
I don't see the point if you don't figure out how to solve it for yourself.
There is no cow level
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
November 24 2012 06:48 GMT
#160
TL should do another guide contest, that was a great time to be on the forums
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings104
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta31
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 246
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10975
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1149
NeuroSwarm188
febbydoto27
League of Legends
Doublelift5033
JimRising 694
Counter-Strike
taco 141
minikerr52
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox927
Mew2King37
Other Games
summit1g10043
Maynarde219
ArmadaUGS54
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick406
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 195
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo551
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 22m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
8h 22m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 22m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.