• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:34
CEST 07:34
KST 14:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8792 users

StarCraft = Sexist? Some feminists just go too far - Page 25

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 Next All
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-17 21:20:51
August 17 2009 21:09 GMT
#481
meh, since I can't delete my post, let's make it an actual response instead...
On August 18 2009 05:33 Kelly Alerenson wrote:
To the people who posited that it was an 'epic troll',
You're somewhat right, and somewhat wrong.
The point was to be over-the-top,
To claim too much for the sake of provoking discussion...

But hey, it made a discussion happen that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Thanks for the fun,
~Hugs~
~~~Kelly.

Not worth responding to the initial article, as it was written 7 years ago, and the premise was pretty ridiculous. But this is a more interesting question: is "claiming too much" a valid way to make a serious point? It seems pretty dubious to me; you run the strong risk of tarring any valid points you make simply by association. Sure, it provokes a discussion of sorts, but not all discussions are worth having.

~Hugs~
~~~qrs.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
theqat
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States2856 Posts
August 17 2009 21:11 GMT
#482
Thanks for coming into hostile territory to give an honest response.
Etherone
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States1898 Posts
August 17 2009 21:28 GMT
#483
this thread has officially become epic.

~Hugs~
~~~Etherone.
qaswedfr25
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States212 Posts
August 17 2009 21:46 GMT
#484
Are you really Kelly Alerenson?

~Hugs~
~~~qaswedfr25.
Kelly Alerenson
Profile Joined August 2009
United States9 Posts
August 17 2009 22:03 GMT
#485
Thanks much for the hugs everybody!
And for the warm welcome,
I hope my appearance made everyone else's day as much as reading and laughing about all of this has made mine.

As for the question "am I the real Kelly Alerenson?", that's a fair one,
I was surprised that on this (or the other ten or so sites that linked to that old post), no one had created a fake-me account to post some dumb-shit 'for epic lawls'.
But yeah,
I'm her.
I mean... it's not my ""Real Name"", if that's what you mean,
But Kelly Alerenson really is the name that I used to publish under.
You'll see some of my other stuff in VP if you go back to the page that the article was in, or if you look up the Harbinger.
I think I might have some stuff under that name somewhere else too, but I forget.
... ANYWAY,
Yeah, it's me.

The question of "is taking things too far to get people to move a little in that direction an acceptable policy?" is an interesting one... to be honest, I don't know any more.
At the time it seemed like a great idea, and it was a good stance to hold while I was in college and got to engage in super-long heated debates regularly.
In the world outside of academia, however, you have an interesting point that often if you go TOO far with a claim, people will be so turned off immediately that you might in fact cause a reaction pushing people away from your original point.
Either way, it's an interesting question qrs.

~Kelly
On_Slaught
Profile Joined August 2008
United States12190 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-17 22:09:36
August 17 2009 22:08 GMT
#486
While I can understand the "parts" of the argument, I don't know if I neccessarily agree with the whole.

However one thing I can say about the article is that I feel it does a great job of summing up starcraft and introducting each race. The first part of the article is very well written (not that the rest isn't, but the first part I agree with and feel is done well).

(On a side note... if that really is the author of the article posting, why is ur icon Terran? :O)
Kelly Alerenson
Profile Joined August 2009
United States9 Posts
August 17 2009 22:14 GMT
#487
Ohey,
Thanks for the heads up,
Changed it to Zerg.
(Mostly cause I just like playing Zerg, not really because of that article.)
Thratur
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada917 Posts
August 17 2009 22:27 GMT
#488
I'm very surprised that you posted here. We rarely get a comment from the author of the linked article in a thread like this one. I hope you got a good grade for this work. I'm curious to know if you still play Starcraft from time to time and if you'll buy Starcraft 2 when it will come out.

~Hugs~
~~~Thratur.
Kelly Alerenson
Profile Joined August 2009
United States9 Posts
August 17 2009 22:40 GMT
#489
On August 18 2009 07:27 Thratur wrote:
I'm very surprised that you posted here. We rarely get a comment from the author of the linked article in a thread like this one. I hope you got a good grade for this work. I'm curious to know if you still play Starcraft from time to time and if you'll buy Starcraft 2 when it will come out.

~Hugs~
~~~Thratur.



After I wrote that article, I kind of lived on starcraft for a few years.
After college ended, I slowed down on playing,
I played a lot of WCIII, but really got into modding, especially Mauls (Duke Wintermaul's Tower Defense Map, and its successors),
I've shown up at the occasional LAN party where people advertised starcraft tourneys, and generally just owned them in a way that was totally unfun.
The lack of ability to find people who could give me an actual challenge kind of made me stop playing,

To be honest I kind of got out of computer gaming entirely, (Went my rounds with various MMOs, staying with City of Heroes the longest) and let my box fall into disrepair. But, then when it started getting closer to SCII (and DIII) actually being a reality, I thought I'd buy a new computer to get ready for it... and then the release that it's not till next year made me cry a little bit in side.

In short, heck yeah, i've been waiting for SCII longer than anyone I know in person.
I bought SC and BW within their first week on the shelf (respectively)
I beta-ed for WCIII and Frozen Throne, and loved them both.
And am likely to sign up for the Beta on SCII now that it's being talked about.

As for the unlikelyhood of my commenting on here.... well... most people are afraid of criticism of their work,
But hey, ask Foucault: the author is dead.
It's an interesting article, and sure, I'm the one who wrote it,
But that doesn't make it me.
It came out of me, but it's not me.
If people hate it, they hate it.
If people come to good discussions from it, I'm glad that something I created changed the world a little, but it's still not me.

Will there probably be things in SCII that bother my inner feminist? Yeah, I'm sure.
Kerrigan with spike heels for instance.
What the hell?!
But that doesn't mean that I won't support the franchise,
That doesn't mean that I don't think it's the best RTS that's ever been made,
And that doesn't mean that I dislike Blizzard.

:-D
And besides,
Hell... it's about time.
~Kelly
(~~~More hugs for anyone who hasn't gotten one yet~~~)
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
August 17 2009 22:43 GMT
#490
LOL this was a good laugh
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
August 17 2009 22:43 GMT
#491
On August 18 2009 07:03 Kelly Alerenson wrote:
The question of "is taking things too far to get people to move a little in that direction an acceptable policy?" is an interesting one... to be honest, I don't know any more.
At the time it seemed like a great idea, and it was a good stance to hold while I was in college and got to engage in super-long heated debates regularly.
In the world outside of academia, however, you have an interesting point that often if you go TOO far with a claim, people will be so turned off immediately that you might in fact cause a reaction pushing people away from your original point.
Either way, it's an interesting question qrs.

~Kelly

It sounds like you're assuming that "taking things too far" can have the effect of "getting people to move a little in that direction", at least in the world of academia. I'm not sure what "acceptable policy" means in that context; if it works, it's acceptable as far as I'm concerned. I wasn't objecting on ethical grounds or anything.

The part I question is whether taking things too far ever results in getting people to move a little in that direction. It gets their attention, sure--this thread illustrates that--but it's negative attention: by definition something "provocative" is meant to provoke a reaction against it. "That's outrageous!" or something like that.

It's one thing if you can back it up, of course, but if even you admit that your statement is over-the-top, and not defensible, how do you plan to make people stick around for your real point? Even in the brick-and-mortar commercial world, bait-and-switch tactics are double-edged, but when the venue is the internet, and all you're selling is a repackaged version of an argument that people have heard many times before, and may have no particular interest in, I really doubt that the initial "false advertising", as it were, will garner any more customers for your viewpoint. The ones you do get will be the ones who would have come anyway.

You do get the advantage of notoriety ("any publicity is good publicity") getting people to hear about your article who would never have heard about it at all. Set against that is the disadvantage of possibly "turning people off", as you say, who would have been receptive to your point. (I find it hard to believe that this wouldn't be a risk in the world of academia either, but I don't live there, so I wouldn't know.)

In any case, "engaging in super-long heated debates" is another thing entirely. The more outrageous your position, the more fun it can be to debate it, if you're arguing for argument's sake. "Troll" has become too pejorative a term, don't you think? Maybe the time has come to reclaim it.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Kelly Alerenson
Profile Joined August 2009
United States9 Posts
August 17 2009 22:53 GMT
#492
Hahaha,
Reclaiming the name of Troll for all of the good that Trolling has done!
I like it, could be fun.
But I'm not sure if that's a fight that I'm up for myself at the moment.

In response to your actual point though,
First I need to point out that seven years ago when I wrote that, the target wasn't the internet.
I wrote that article for Vanguard Party,
A small independent magazine, printed on paper and distributed to college kids.

Most of our readers were activists and punk rockers, and the way that they interacted was by arguing over the top points in order to get someone to make a small move in position.
I remember one argument between an English major and a gutter punk, the former was arguing that the only effective government is a dictatorship while the other was arguing that any government is by definition ineffective. Their argument didn't change how the other saw government, but what it did do was provoke those listening to start discussing flaws and solutions within our American government.

Both arguments, I believe, were well over-the-top untenable positions, but they created a forum for discussion where people could make small changes in their actual views (in our ever-interesting bi-partisan system).

Do I think now that it is the most effective model? Probably not,
But at the time it was my market, and so I wrote to it.

As for it being put online, that must have been either Kira, Bog King, or Rich... I didn't really know that it had found a home on the internet, and looking at it, I see that very little of VP is there at all. (A shame really, there are some way more inflaming articles than the one I wrote. :-D)

~Kelly
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
August 17 2009 23:13 GMT
#493
if you're a real girl then I hope I can find a girlfriend like you someday
Kelly Alerenson
Profile Joined August 2009
United States9 Posts
August 17 2009 23:20 GMT
#494
On August 18 2009 08:13 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
if you're a real girl then I hope I can find a girlfriend like you someday



HAHAHAHA
Well thanks i guess!
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
August 17 2009 23:28 GMT
#495
On August 18 2009 07:53 Kelly Alerenson wrote:
In response to your actual point though,
First I need to point out that seven years ago when I wrote that, the target wasn't the internet.
I wrote that article for Vanguard Party,
A small independent magazine, printed on paper and distributed to college kids.
OK, sorry for making assumptions.

Most of our readers were activists and punk rockers, and the way that they interacted was by arguing over the top points in order to get someone to make a small move in position.
I remember one argument between an English major and a gutter punk, the former was arguing that the only effective government is a dictatorship while the other was arguing that any government is by definition ineffective. Their argument didn't change how the other saw government, but what it did do was provoke those listening to start discussing flaws and solutions within our American government.

Both arguments, I believe, were well over-the-top untenable positions, but they created a forum for discussion where people could make small changes in their actual views (in our ever-interesting bi-partisan system).

Hmm, I can see that. I guess I need to revise my position, then: taking positions to their logical extreme can stimulate fruitful discussion where people may make small changes in their actual views. Still not sure that this applies where the provocative issue is Nydus canals and the discussion is about misogyny, but your point is taken nonetheless. Thanks.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Gnaix
Profile Joined February 2009
United States438 Posts
August 17 2009 23:35 GMT
#496
Sounds like a research essay that hasn't been proofread much. There are so many spelling and grammatical errors that the arguments seem less serious and more comical.
one thing that sc2 has over bw is the fact that I can actually manage my hotkeys
Astray
Profile Joined August 2009
Canada59 Posts
August 17 2009 23:35 GMT
#497
On May 17 2009 04:54 FieryBalrog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2009 04:53 Rekrul wrote:
uh no, but starcraft IS racist

take a look at the scvs


Its true, Russians are the highest race


ROFLCOPTER
A stupid person is not a person lacking in knowledge; if that was true, everyone would be stupid. A stupid person has a closed mind, instead of an open one.
Kelly Alerenson
Profile Joined August 2009
United States9 Posts
August 17 2009 23:37 GMT
#498
No problem qrs, and thanks for the discussion.
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
August 17 2009 23:57 GMT
#499
everyone who says the valkyrie is russian should know it's german
SK.Testie
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada11084 Posts
August 17 2009 23:57 GMT
#500
Wat's goin on here?
Zia's back?!
Social Justice is a fools errand. May all the adherents at its church be thwarted. Of all the religions I have come across, it is by far the most detestable.
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1275
910 109
Hyun 78
NotJumperer 61
Bale 36
Noble 13
Snow 7
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto454
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King242
Other Games
summit1g7210
Coldzera 724
JimRising 613
WinterStarcraft422
C9.Mang0295
NeuroSwarm132
PiGStarcraft129
ViBE19
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick669
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 51
• Letter1410
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2186
League of Legends
• Rush1079
• Lourlo1058
• Stunt345
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
4h 26m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5h 26m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
18h 26m
Patches Events
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.