• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:15
CEST 16:15
KST 23:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7387 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 647

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 645 646 647 648 649 5998 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44361 Posts
August 26 2018 02:21 GMT
#12921
In Vietnam he volunteered for additional torture to help get other POWs out. That’s not nothing.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28906 Posts
August 26 2018 02:25 GMT
#12922
it's possible to recognize someone's positive and negative qualities at the same time, and to choose to highlight their positive ones at the time of the person's death.

also I think people are celebrating him even more just to stick it to trump.
Moderator
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
August 26 2018 02:28 GMT
#12923
The other day I played golf with someone who I think was McCain's squadron XO way back when. The guy had some fascinating stories although none of them directly involve McCain otherwise I'd share them.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
August 26 2018 02:33 GMT
#12924
A reminder to everyone that John McCain passing does not mean that you get a free pass to insult him and say whatever you want. If you have nothing good to say, then please just don't say anything at all.
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-26 02:38:42
August 26 2018 02:34 GMT
#12925
On August 26 2018 11:25 Liquid`Drone wrote:
it's possible to recognize someone's positive and negative qualities at the same time, and to choose to highlight their positive ones at the time of the person's death.

also I think people are celebrating him even more just to stick it to trump.

Yeah, maybe when a relative passes away. But when one of the, say, top ten people most responsible for the Iraq war dies (about a million deaths), who has been a public figure his entire life, I prefer to be critical. The demand to avoid criticism is itself highly political. Imagine if Hitler died and all the media said: this is not the time for cheering, we mourn the loss of a family man etc. The legacy of John McCain is one of ineptitude, corruption and military destruction.

And at least when Kissinger and Cheney die the press (probably?) won’t be as sycophantic as they will likely be in this case.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-26 02:56:55
August 26 2018 02:51 GMT
#12926
On August 26 2018 11:34 Grumbels wrote:
prefer to be critical.

There is a difference between being critical in response to an obituary, and responding to it with a one liner that says 'good riddance.' Nothing wrong with helping people realize there's more to the story than simply a perfect American hero, but your fist post was very questionable.

edit: I should clarify that I too personally think people should stick to saying positive things (or nothing) immediately after someone dies like this, but that's etiquette and decency, not policy and rules.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Grettin
Profile Joined April 2010
42417 Posts
August 26 2018 03:03 GMT
#12927
Rest easy McCain.
"If I had force-fields in Brood War, I'd never lose." -Bisu
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
August 26 2018 03:09 GMT
#12928
On August 26 2018 11:33 Seeker wrote:
A reminder to everyone that John McCain passing does not mean that you get a free pass to insult him and say whatever you want. If you have nothing good to say, then please just don't say anything at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/9abii6/megathread_sen_john_mccain_passes_away/

Look at the comments there and tell me this sort of moderation policy isn’t whitewashing. Anyone reading it would get the impression McCain was some sort of great hero and statesman, which is surely a subjective opinion and not objective fact.

In my view, the right time to criticize someone like McCain is after his death, simply because that is when he is in the news and that is when all the hagiography obscuring his dark sides is poduced. For there to be additional moderation policy that would specifically discourage any invective is to take a particular political stance.

—
(Also, personally, I find almost unbearably annoying the liberals in such comment threads as the one linked who equate McCain’s vague opposition to Trump with some sort of heroic stance, and who feel the need to contrast his bravery and independence with Trump just after his death. To me that’s much more disrespectful than just outright loathing someone. )

User was warned for this post.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-26 03:11:45
August 26 2018 03:11 GMT
#12929
On August 26 2018 11:51 micronesia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 26 2018 11:34 Grumbels wrote:
prefer to be critical.

There is a difference between being critical in response to an obituary, and responding to it with a one liner that says 'good riddance.' Nothing wrong with helping people realize there's more to the story than simply a perfect American hero, but your fist post was very questionable.

edit: I should clarify that I too personally think people should stick to saying positive things (or nothing) immediately after someone dies like this, but that's etiquette and decency, not policy and rules.

Meh, I specifically made such a comment in order to derail what I feared would be pages of positive one-liners. It’s just for balance. *shrug* But this is the last I’ll say about it.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
August 26 2018 03:18 GMT
#12930
The devils advocate is still advocating for a douchbag. Dumping on someone the day they died isn’t being critical. It’s opportunistic. It’s an easy way to get a rise out of people under the guise of being “critical”. No one in this thread is stupid, we all know McCain is very far from perfect. We don’t need the enlightened critical mind to remind us the day he passes away.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
August 26 2018 03:36 GMT
#12931
On August 26 2018 11:33 Seeker wrote:
A reminder to everyone that John McCain passing does not mean that you get a free pass to insult him and say whatever you want. If you have nothing good to say, then please just don't say anything at all.

I just want to thank this kind of guidance. It's too easy to jump in with cheap political jeers on a somber moment for the other side, as happened in the last thread on Phyllis Schlafly's passing.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
hooketyler615
Profile Joined August 2018
1 Post
Last Edited: 2018-08-26 03:42:40
August 26 2018 03:42 GMT
#12932
Bot edit.

User was banned for this post.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-26 10:37:41
August 26 2018 07:49 GMT
#12933
On August 26 2018 12:09 Grumbels wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 26 2018 11:33 Seeker wrote:
A reminder to everyone that John McCain passing does not mean that you get a free pass to insult him and say whatever you want. If you have nothing good to say, then please just don't say anything at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/9abii6/megathread_sen_john_mccain_passes_away/

Look at the comments there and tell me this sort of moderation policy isn’t whitewashing. Anyone reading it would get the impression McCain was some sort of great hero and statesman, which is surely a subjective opinion and not objective fact.

In my view, the right time to criticize someone like McCain is after his death, simply because that is when he is in the news and that is when all the hagiography obscuring his dark sides is poduced. For there to be additional moderation policy that would specifically discourage any invective is to take a particular political stance.

—
(Also, personally, I find almost unbearably annoying the liberals in such comment threads as the one linked who equate McCain’s vague opposition to Trump with some sort of heroic stance, and who feel the need to contrast his bravery and independence with Trump just after his death. To me that’s much more disrespectful than just outright loathing someone. )

User was warned for this post.

@Seeker, I posted that message 30 seconds after your warning appeared in the thread, I couldn’t possibly have seen that, but whatever.

On August 26 2018 17:22 Hondelul wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 26 2018 16:49 Grumbels wrote:
On August 26 2018 12:09 Grumbels wrote:
On August 26 2018 11:33 Seeker wrote:
A reminder to everyone that John McCain passing does not mean that you get a free pass to insult him and say whatever you want. If you have nothing good to say, then please just don't say anything at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/9abii6/megathread_sen_john_mccain_passes_away/

Look at the comments there and tell me this sort of moderation policy isn’t whitewashing. Anyone reading it would get the impression McCain was some sort of great hero and statesman, which is surely a subjective opinion and not objective fact.

In my view, the right time to criticize someone like McCain is after his death, simply because that is when he is in the news and that is when all the hagiography obscuring his dark sides is poduced. For there to be additional moderation policy that would specifically discourage any invective is to take a particular political stance.

—
(Also, personally, I find almost unbearably annoying the liberals in such comment threads as the one linked who equate McCain’s vague opposition to Trump with some sort of heroic stance, and who feel the need to contrast his bravery and independence with Trump just after his death. To me that’s much more disrespectful than just outright loathing someone. )

User was warned for this post.

@Seeker, I posted that message 30 seconds after your warning appeared in the thread, I couldn’t possibly have seen that, but whatever.

Minutes, 4:33 CEST and 5:09 CEST.

Condolences to his the wife and children.

Oh, you're right. I thought I was warned for the other post, since after I posted that one I noticed it was made a few seconds after Seeker's comment. It's a bit tricky to keep track of it on mobile. I thought I shouldn't bother to edit it.

And honestly, there is nothing in the other post I made which breaks Seeker's announced policy, since in that post I specifically avoided commenting on McCain and only on the media reaction to his story. And another mod in the same page said that there is no policy against criticism to begin with, it's only a matter of etiquette. So it still strikes me as high-handed on TL's part. Maybe this is something I should complain about in a TL moderation thread, but I guess it's still related to politics. I also think it's silly that me voicing a, frankly, standard leftwing opinion on McCain is considered anathema. If you want to know what the most prominent leftwing sub on reddit thinks of McCain, they just made a sticked post that says "Bye Bitch" and they made jokes about him crashing planes into heaven, or being waited on in heaven by Vietnamese rice farmers he murdered etc. I understand if that sort of derision is banned, but not allowing any criticism at all is just overreach, honestly.



Also, I want to promote this comment which basically voices my views on McCain’s death.

https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/news-brief-dont-let-the-media-erase-mccains-far-right-legacy
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Hondelul
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
1999 Posts
August 26 2018 08:22 GMT
#12934
On August 26 2018 16:49 Grumbels wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 26 2018 12:09 Grumbels wrote:
On August 26 2018 11:33 Seeker wrote:
A reminder to everyone that John McCain passing does not mean that you get a free pass to insult him and say whatever you want. If you have nothing good to say, then please just don't say anything at all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/9abii6/megathread_sen_john_mccain_passes_away/

Look at the comments there and tell me this sort of moderation policy isn’t whitewashing. Anyone reading it would get the impression McCain was some sort of great hero and statesman, which is surely a subjective opinion and not objective fact.

In my view, the right time to criticize someone like McCain is after his death, simply because that is when he is in the news and that is when all the hagiography obscuring his dark sides is poduced. For there to be additional moderation policy that would specifically discourage any invective is to take a particular political stance.

—
(Also, personally, I find almost unbearably annoying the liberals in such comment threads as the one linked who equate McCain’s vague opposition to Trump with some sort of heroic stance, and who feel the need to contrast his bravery and independence with Trump just after his death. To me that’s much more disrespectful than just outright loathing someone. )

User was warned for this post.

@Seeker, I posted that message 30 seconds after your warning appeared in the thread, I couldn’t possibly have seen that, but whatever.

Minutes, 4:33 CEST and 5:09 CEST.

Condolences to his the wife and children.
Ghostcom
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark4783 Posts
August 26 2018 10:57 GMT
#12935
Visited Hoa Lo prison this summer. It was quite something to see the prison in which he was held captive and his flight-suit still on display there. Whatever else, his actions in Vietnam alone commands respect.
iamthedave
Profile Joined February 2011
England2814 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-26 11:38:56
August 26 2018 11:37 GMT
#12936
There's something to be said for maintaining the most basic bit of decency, which is not to shit on someone just after they've died.

In the same way that I'm sure Democrats won't be too happy if GreenHorizons or the conservatives were to post 'ding dong the witch is dead' when Hilary passes, liberals shouldn't bag on McCain. Everyone in this thread I think is well aware of his ups and downs.

He struck me as a fairly principled man, whether or not I agree with his principles. I'll always remember his awful Presidential campaign... and I'll also remember him giving the thumbs down on Trump in such a way as to take a bullet for his younger colleagues who were also dissenting.
I'm not bad at Starcraft; I just think winning's rude.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
August 26 2018 11:49 GMT
#12937
https://mobile.twitter.com/Beschizza/status/1033519881268940806

This is how NBC brought the news, speaking of respect to the dead.

User was temp banned for this post.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46499 Posts
August 26 2018 12:46 GMT
#12938
R.I.P. John McCain.

I definitely wasn't a fan of his political agenda, but the past few years have given me much more insight as to what worse Republicans look like. If nothing else, he has my respect for at least three things:

1. Defending our country as a naval aviator. He has more bravery in his little finger than Donald Trump will ever have. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_life_and_military_career_of_John_McCain

2. Running a presidential campaign that wasn't solely about belittling and lying about President Obama, despite the following decade being nothing but undignified character assassinations by the Republican Party.


3. The infamous thumbs down on the Senate floor, where John McCain actually chose country over party and voted against the skinny repeal of Obamacare.


Obama and Biden both had beautiful and respectful things to say and write about McCain too.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Longshank
Profile Joined March 2010
1648 Posts
August 26 2018 13:48 GMT
#12939
On August 26 2018 20:49 Grumbels wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Beschizza/status/1033519881268940806

This is how NBC brought the news, speaking of respect to the dead.


An unfortunate cut isn't the same as 'good riddance'. They showed him lots of respect in their segment.
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8195 Posts
August 26 2018 16:17 GMT
#12940
I am not one to believe in the whole “respect the dead” thing, especially if they don’t deserve it. But Mc Cain, if anything, deserved respect. It’s a loss for american democracy, at a time where the right in particular needs the most good, honest and principled leaders.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
Prev 1 645 646 647 648 649 5998 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1105
RotterdaM632
SteadfastSC290
TKL 229
Rex134
CosmosSc2 37
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 632
SteadfastSC 290
TKL 229
Rex 134
CosmosSc2 37
ProTech33
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42686
Calm 2840
Shuttle 2376
Jaedong 1594
Horang2 932
actioN 641
Mini 586
Soma 512
EffOrt 446
Soulkey 442
[ Show more ]
Stork 331
Rush 304
Larva 243
ZerO 223
BeSt 223
Snow 188
Mong 138
firebathero 132
Zeus 94
Mind 82
hero 70
910 69
Free 62
sorry 59
Hyun 47
Yoon 45
Sharp 45
Shine 37
Shinee 36
PianO 35
Pusan 31
JYJ 29
ToSsGirL 26
Bale 23
Aegong 22
Sexy 22
Terrorterran 20
HiyA 17
Hm[arnc] 16
Killer 13
Rock 12
Sacsri 12
scan(afreeca) 12
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5476
Dendi1284
Counter-Strike
fl0m2218
Fnx 596
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King175
ChuDatz19
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko371
Other Games
singsing2199
hiko702
crisheroes613
B2W.Neo306
DeMusliM227
Khaldor188
Livibee183
Pyrionflax174
Liquid`VortiX147
Liquid`RaSZi111
Trikslyr69
QueenE60
dupreeh43
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1403
Other Games
BasetradeTV192
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH231
• mYiSmile15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2077
• Jankos1586
• TFBlade593
• Noizen108
Other Games
• Shiphtur625
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 45m
The PondCast
19h 45m
INu's Battles
20h 45m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.