• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:46
CEST 00:46
KST 07:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7296 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 2056

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 6000 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
January 25 2020 01:10 GMT
#41101
For the record I’m not advocating for Trump’s assassination merely being hyperbolic.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
m4ini
Profile Joined February 2014
4215 Posts
January 25 2020 01:12 GMT
#41102
You got it a bit backwards. That's not stolen from Star Trek.



This one here was. It's just a ripoff of the 80s Air Force Space Command, which of course is a ripoff of star trek
On track to MA1950A.
FueledUpAndReadyToGo
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
Netherlands30548 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-01-25 01:18:34
January 25 2020 01:17 GMT
#41103
Well then, TIL. That the ripoff was done 40 years ago makes it a lot less fun.
Neosteel Enthusiast
m4ini
Profile Joined February 2014
4215 Posts
January 25 2020 01:46 GMT
#41104
On January 25 2020 10:17 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
Well then, TIL. That the ripoff was done 40 years ago makes it a lot less fun.


The entire concept of a "Space Force" is a laugh, and entirely pointless on top while managing to undermine the outer space treaty. Unless of course you want to start another arms race, this time in space. Which of course is probably the entire reason for this in the first place.
On track to MA1950A.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
January 25 2020 01:51 GMT
#41105
On January 25 2020 10:46 m4ini wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2020 10:17 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
Well then, TIL. That the ripoff was done 40 years ago makes it a lot less fun.


The entire concept of a "Space Force" is a laugh, and entirely pointless on top while managing to undermine the outer space treaty. Unless of course you want to start another arms race, this time in space. Which of course is probably the entire reason for this in the first place.

Well it’s not, theoretically anyway depends how it manifests.

I personally don’t want the US to have an edge in this particular race, but if they do get one it will probably prove rather impactful. Sadly.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
January 25 2020 02:19 GMT
#41106
On January 25 2020 08:37 Simberto wrote:
It's not as if there were no others whom they could ask.

I bet that Iran would love to help Iraq defend itself.

Iran actually did a lot to help Iraq. With the standing military basically a shattered mess They armed and sent advisors to organize Religiously motivated militias to counter the ISIS threat which was the other kind of Islam. They also sent the golden division or whatever unit which is their premier revolutionary guard unit.

the problem with Iran helping Iraq to defend itself is because Iraq is supposed to be a multi-denominational buffer state between the saudi's and iran. Raising militias to fight a holy war makes the people who don't share those militias religion nervous.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
January 25 2020 02:38 GMT
#41107
The more I listen to Sanders, despite being aligned politically with him anyway, the more sad I’ll be if he doesn’t make it as the candidate at least.

Agree/disagree with what he’s selling but he clearly believes it’s the right option, and has been historically consistent in that.

He doesn’t make ridiculously gaffes either, any time he’s given actual time to expand on his program he does so, and does so well.

Really up to America what they make of that. I have a great regard for the county and what it stands for, they do do the occasional good thing (interceding in the peace settlement over here for example)

Fingers crossed Bernie at least gets the shot at it.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24382 Posts
January 25 2020 02:51 GMT
#41108
On January 25 2020 11:38 Wombat_NI wrote:
The more I listen to Sanders, despite being aligned politically with him anyway, the more sad I’ll be if he doesn’t make it as the candidate at least.

Agree/disagree with what he’s selling but he clearly believes it’s the right option, and has been historically consistent in that.

He doesn’t make ridiculously gaffes either, any time he’s given actual time to expand on his program he does so, and does so well.

Really up to America what they make of that. I have a great regard for the county and what it stands for, they do do the occasional good thing (interceding in the peace settlement over here for example)

Fingers crossed Bernie at least gets the shot at it.


He's in pretty good shape. Not actually being an active supporter this cycle allows me to step back a bit and observe and his donor/volunteer network is absurd compared to the rest.

Biden is the only one that can carry the establishment network on the ground. The retirees and socialites that run various Dem parties and fundraisers aren't going to unite around Pete, Warren, or The Klob. Bloomberg can buy Hillary's people and other "talents" on the periphery of the party and keep working on his effort to supplant the current dem voter database company but he's only a spoiler.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
January 25 2020 03:01 GMT
#41109
On January 25 2020 11:51 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2020 11:38 Wombat_NI wrote:
The more I listen to Sanders, despite being aligned politically with him anyway, the more sad I’ll be if he doesn’t make it as the candidate at least.

Agree/disagree with what he’s selling but he clearly believes it’s the right option, and has been historically consistent in that.

He doesn’t make ridiculously gaffes either, any time he’s given actual time to expand on his program he does so, and does so well.

Really up to America what they make of that. I have a great regard for the county and what it stands for, they do do the occasional good thing (interceding in the peace settlement over here for example)

Fingers crossed Bernie at least gets the shot at it.


He's in pretty good shape. Not actually being an active supporter this cycle allows me to step back a bit and observe and his donor/volunteer network is absurd compared to the rest.

Biden is the only one that can carry the establishment network on the ground. The retirees and socialites that run various Dem parties and fundraisers aren't going to unite around Pete, Warren, or The Klob. Bloomberg can buy Hillary's people and other "talents" on the periphery of the party and keep working on his effort to supplant the current dem voter database company but he's only a spoiler.

Fingers crossed anyway.

I have zero expectation that Bloomberg at least throwing millions at it will work, who gives a fuck about his platform and ideas?
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
ShoCkeyy
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
7815 Posts
January 25 2020 03:46 GMT
#41110
Bloomberg is throwing money into ads to get under Trumps skin, and he seems to not care if doesn’t win. He probably doesn’t mind it since it costs him nothing for those ads either if you think about it, while showing the US what Trump has done.
Life?
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24382 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-01-25 05:57:54
January 25 2020 05:52 GMT
#41111
On January 25 2020 12:46 ShoCkeyy wrote:
Bloomberg is throwing money into ads to get under Trumps skin, and he seems to not care if doesn’t win. He probably doesn’t mind it since it costs him nothing for those ads either if you think about it, while showing the US what Trump has done.


The ad buys are meh, or you might be thinking of the other billionaire running for the Dem nomination (Steyer). Bloomberg is building a voter database to replace the one Dems use which was basically designed in the 90's.

He's basically building Cambridge Analytica for the not-the-Republican party
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
nojok
Profile Joined May 2011
France15846 Posts
January 25 2020 11:13 GMT
#41112
On January 25 2020 10:04 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2020 09:54 nojok wrote:
Am I the only one who sees sex change as an extreme form of consumerism? It's still a plastic surgery with an hormonal cocktail, they still are what they were born. It's not only that obviously. I'm still surprised this point was not brought up.

Most trans people I know and I assume many in general don’t pass muster as a cis woman.

They feel they’re women, or men and so act accordingly.

There’s basically no gain to them whatsoever. I have a good friend who is trans, the mother of their child denied access when they started transitioning.

They’re sacrificing a lot and gaining fuck all, so what are they consuming here exactly?

There are people who are genuinely just confused and maybe it’s not the best option for them, definitely. For example people with Aspergers often present as gender dysphoric. Not because they actually are but that the ‘grey areas’ of gender characteristics can be difficult for them to process in adolescence.

"Gaining fuck all" is exactly what consumerism is about, buying useless stuff in the hope it's an end by itself and it will bring happiness. I'm specifically speaking about the physical transformation here. I wish roles were not so heavily defined by gender, sex change would become meaningless.

The trans lobby mostly comes from people who invested in high tech medical companies btw (and I have a very poor opinion of the medical industry).

It has already been compared to make-up, tattoos or simply clothes.

I'm not denying the problems surrounding the acceptance of trans people by the rest of society, which is the issue not trans people themselves. Still I wish the answer would not be a service to buy but more an evolution of mentalities. And you said it yourself, "they gained fuck all", further proving my point.
"Back then teams that won were credited, now it's called throw. I think it's sad." - Kuroky - Flap Flap Wings!
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24382 Posts
January 25 2020 13:12 GMT
#41113
On January 25 2020 20:13 nojok wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2020 10:04 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 25 2020 09:54 nojok wrote:
Am I the only one who sees sex change as an extreme form of consumerism? It's still a plastic surgery with an hormonal cocktail, they still are what they were born. It's not only that obviously. I'm still surprised this point was not brought up.

Most trans people I know and I assume many in general don’t pass muster as a cis woman.

They feel they’re women, or men and so act accordingly.

There’s basically no gain to them whatsoever. I have a good friend who is trans, the mother of their child denied access when they started transitioning.

They’re sacrificing a lot and gaining fuck all, so what are they consuming here exactly?

There are people who are genuinely just confused and maybe it’s not the best option for them, definitely. For example people with Aspergers often present as gender dysphoric. Not because they actually are but that the ‘grey areas’ of gender characteristics can be difficult for them to process in adolescence.

"Gaining fuck all" is exactly what consumerism is about, buying useless stuff in the hope it's an end by itself and it will bring happiness. I'm specifically speaking about the physical transformation here. I wish roles were not so heavily defined by gender, sex change would become meaningless.

The trans lobby mostly comes from people who invested in high tech medical companies btw (and I have a very poor opinion of the medical industry).

It has already been compared to make-up, tattoos or simply clothes.

I'm not denying the problems surrounding the acceptance of trans people by the rest of society, which is the issue not trans people themselves. Still I wish the answer would not be a service to buy but more an evolution of mentalities. And you said it yourself, "they gained fuck all", further proving my point.


I get your point and it's the closest to TERF I get. It's more a critique of society than trans people's personal choices but they typically don't see it that way (because the critique you offer isn't what usually comes after a critique on having surgery) and I understand that so it doesn't come up often.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
January 25 2020 13:21 GMT
#41114
On January 25 2020 22:12 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2020 20:13 nojok wrote:
On January 25 2020 10:04 Wombat_NI wrote:
On January 25 2020 09:54 nojok wrote:
Am I the only one who sees sex change as an extreme form of consumerism? It's still a plastic surgery with an hormonal cocktail, they still are what they were born. It's not only that obviously. I'm still surprised this point was not brought up.

Most trans people I know and I assume many in general don’t pass muster as a cis woman.

They feel they’re women, or men and so act accordingly.

There’s basically no gain to them whatsoever. I have a good friend who is trans, the mother of their child denied access when they started transitioning.

They’re sacrificing a lot and gaining fuck all, so what are they consuming here exactly?

There are people who are genuinely just confused and maybe it’s not the best option for them, definitely. For example people with Aspergers often present as gender dysphoric. Not because they actually are but that the ‘grey areas’ of gender characteristics can be difficult for them to process in adolescence.

"Gaining fuck all" is exactly what consumerism is about, buying useless stuff in the hope it's an end by itself and it will bring happiness. I'm specifically speaking about the physical transformation here. I wish roles were not so heavily defined by gender, sex change would become meaningless.

The trans lobby mostly comes from people who invested in high tech medical companies btw (and I have a very poor opinion of the medical industry).

It has already been compared to make-up, tattoos or simply clothes.

I'm not denying the problems surrounding the acceptance of trans people by the rest of society, which is the issue not trans people themselves. Still I wish the answer would not be a service to buy but more an evolution of mentalities. And you said it yourself, "they gained fuck all", further proving my point.


I get your point and it's the closest to TERF I get. It's more a critique of society than trans people's personal choices but they typically don't see it that way (because the critique you offer isn't what usually comes after a critique on having surgery) and I understand that so it doesn't come up often.

Indeed, it and associated areas are rather interesting to discuss, but it’s difficult to do without it being taken as a personal criticism.

Which is understandable, I’m just genuinely curious to expand my understanding but trans people have to field so many criticisms masquerading as concern or questions that I can understand mine being taken in a manner they weren’t intended.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
January 25 2020 16:18 GMT
#41115
My weird libertarian friend is supporting Bernie. I feel like overnight everyone woke up, yawned and mumbled "eat the rich", surprised by what they said, thought for a moment, nodded their heads and went about their days.
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
January 25 2020 16:42 GMT
#41116
On January 26 2020 01:18 Mohdoo wrote:
My weird libertarian friend is supporting Bernie. I feel like overnight everyone woke up, yawned and mumbled "eat the rich", surprised by what they said, thought for a moment, nodded their heads and went about their days.

You missed the whole drama about Joe rogan endorseing bernie?
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
Ryzel
Profile Joined December 2012
United States568 Posts
January 25 2020 17:24 GMT
#41117
Your friend must indeed be weird if he calls himself libertarian and supports Bernie lol
Hakuna Matata B*tches
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
January 25 2020 17:25 GMT
#41118
Ehh, I don’t think it’s weird in the sense that many folks claim to be libertarian without wrestling with what that really means. For many, it’s a placeholder for “I belong to neither main party, and I think I should be left alone.”

Sanders can fit that bill relatively easily depending on how one views hot button topics like healthcare.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-01-25 17:54:18
January 25 2020 17:54 GMT
#41119
On January 26 2020 02:25 farvacola wrote:
Ehh, I don’t think it’s weird in the sense that many folks claim to be libertarian without wrestling with what that really means. For many, it’s a placeholder for “I belong to neither main party, and I think I should be left alone.”

Sanders can fit that bill relatively easily depending on how one views hot button topics like healthcare.

He's basically a libertarian communist. Eat the rich, socialize basically everything, but taxation is theft and the government should never be involved in his life. Farv hit the nail on the head
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
January 25 2020 18:40 GMT
#41120
On January 26 2020 02:54 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 26 2020 02:25 farvacola wrote:
Ehh, I don’t think it’s weird in the sense that many folks claim to be libertarian without wrestling with what that really means. For many, it’s a placeholder for “I belong to neither main party, and I think I should be left alone.”

Sanders can fit that bill relatively easily depending on how one views hot button topics like healthcare.

He's basically a libertarian communist. Eat the rich, socialize basically everything, but taxation is theft and the government should never be involved in his life. Farv hit the nail on the head

That's a weird tightrope to walk. "Socialize everything but fuck actually paying for it!".
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
Prev 1 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 6000 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 14m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 232
Nina 141
ViBE68
SpeCial 63
Nathanias 37
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12427
Artosis 475
NaDa 29
Bale 12
Dota 2
monkeys_forever287
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox446
Mew2King84
Other Games
summit1g6290
Grubby2729
Liquid`RaSZi1820
shahzam635
WinterStarcraft421
C9.Mang0296
JimRising 249
Trikslyr24
JuggernautJason5
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 87
• musti20045 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie774
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11h 14m
INu's Battles
12h 14m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
14h 14m
OSC
23h 29m
Replay Cast
1d
OSC
2 days
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.