• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:40
CEST 05:40
KST 12:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6114 users

Fountain Pens - Page 19

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 26 Next All
dizzy101
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands2066 Posts
June 14 2013 23:09 GMT
#361
I dropped a fountainpen on hard floor, and it doesn't write the same ever since. Are these things so fragile or can it easily be fixed?
SilentCrono
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1420 Posts
June 15 2013 00:14 GMT
#362
What's a good, cheap fountain pen?
♞ Your soul will forever be lost in the void of a horse. ♞
Pwnographics
Profile Joined January 2011
New Zealand1097 Posts
June 15 2013 00:15 GMT
#363
On June 15 2013 09:14 SilentCrono wrote:
What's a good, cheap fountain pen?


What do you consider cheap?
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
June 15 2013 05:27 GMT
#364
On June 15 2013 09:14 SilentCrono wrote:
What's a good, cheap fountain pen?

If you can scrape off $15, I would go for the Nemosine Singularity, mine has been extremely dependable. If you want even cheaper, you can always pick up a cheap Chinese thingy or ebay for $5-7. In that case, I'd suggest the Kaigelu 356 or a Jinhao X450, from my limited experience.

Then you can just get some cheap fountain pen ink.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
hoemuffin
Profile Joined September 2010
United States72 Posts
June 15 2013 05:40 GMT
#365
On June 15 2013 08:09 dizzy101 wrote:
I dropped a fountainpen on hard floor, and it doesn't write the same ever since. Are these things so fragile or can it easily be fixed?


The nib can be fragile, and fixing probably depends on the nib material. I've done some tinkering with tines, but only stainless nibs (I would send gold nibs to a professional, too expensive to risk screwing it up).

On June 15 2013 09:14 SilentCrono wrote:
What's a good, cheap fountain pen?


Pilot Metropolitan, $18.75

Best deal in a pen IMO. If you're a knife person, they're the Mora of fountain pens. Or maybe the Hellbats.
Marimokkori
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States306 Posts
June 15 2013 07:59 GMT
#366
On June 15 2013 14:40 hoemuffin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 15 2013 08:09 dizzy101 wrote:
I dropped a fountainpen on hard floor, and it doesn't write the same ever since. Are these things so fragile or can it easily be fixed?


The nib can be fragile, and fixing probably depends on the nib material. I've done some tinkering with tines, but only stainless nibs (I would send gold nibs to a professional, too expensive to risk screwing it up).

Show nested quote +
On June 15 2013 09:14 SilentCrono wrote:
What's a good, cheap fountain pen?


Pilot Metropolitan, $18.75

Best deal in a pen IMO. If you're a knife person, they're the Mora of fountain pens. Or maybe the Hellbats.

14.50 at JetPens
http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Metropolitan-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Nib-Black-Dot-Body/pd/10174

+Free shipping on $25+
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
wptlzkwjd
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada1240 Posts
June 15 2013 10:08 GMT
#367
My favorite cheap pen is the Pilot Petit. It's around $3 USD and fits in your pocket!
Feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MagnusAskeland/
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-24 20:51:04
June 24 2013 20:43 GMT
#368
This has gotten quiet but I've been playing around and I got a flex nib pen



It's really fun to write with. Pardon the camera shake and the bad focus, I was holding my POS phone in one hand and tried to write with the other.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
magicmUnky
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia280 Posts
June 25 2013 21:48 GMT
#369
For poor students: This is probably the best value in pens you can find.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_X_Feather_Ink_4_5oz_p/n19819.htm

4.5oz of anti-feathering ink (means it works even on shit paper) and it comes with a free plantinum preppy, ready to fill. I've filled up a quarter of a notebook with 2mL of ink and 4.5oz =~ 133 mL. This makes it cheaper than almost any other pen.

I've been using a Lamy Safari ($20) for ages now and I love it. Now I'm addicted and just spent $150 more on various pens, inks and papers that I want to experiment with :D
Marimokkori
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States306 Posts
June 26 2013 03:57 GMT
#370
On June 25 2013 05:43 Djzapz wrote:
This has gotten quiet but I've been playing around and I got a flex nib pen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqBtnBatbpk&feature=youtu.be

It's really fun to write with. Pardon the camera shake and the bad focus, I was holding my POS phone in one hand and tried to write with the other.

Sweet man! Did you convert that to an eyedropper?

On June 26 2013 06:48 magicmUnky wrote:
For poor students: This is probably the best value in pens you can find.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_X_Feather_Ink_4_5oz_p/n19819.htm

4.5oz of anti-feathering ink (means it works even on shit paper) and it comes with a free plantinum preppy, ready to fill. I've filled up a quarter of a notebook with 2mL of ink and 4.5oz =~ 133 mL. This makes it cheaper than almost any other pen.

I've been using a Lamy Safari ($20) for ages now and I love it. Now I'm addicted and just spent $150 more on various pens, inks and papers that I want to experiment with :D

That's how it goes! I'm really want to get an Apple Green Safari from 2012. The Neon Yellow this year doesn't do it for me.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
June 26 2013 04:14 GMT
#371
On June 26 2013 12:57 Marimokkori wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 25 2013 05:43 Djzapz wrote:
This has gotten quiet but I've been playing around and I got a flex nib pen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqBtnBatbpk&feature=youtu.be

It's really fun to write with. Pardon the camera shake and the bad focus, I was holding my POS phone in one hand and tried to write with the other.

Sweet man! Did you convert that to an eyedropper?

No, I could easily do that but I've heard that converting this one to an eyedropper makes it gush ink when it's down under a third. The converter-type thing does contain a MASSIVE amount of ink anyway, so I'm satisfied with it
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
July 10 2013 16:22 GMT
#372
I'm gravitating towards more flexible nibs as I try to pick up cursive writing. My Sailor 1911M is nice, but it kind of feels like writing with a nail, and the lack of line variation is somewhat disappointing.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up a Pilot Custom 823 within the next month

[image loading]
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
GreYMisT
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States6736 Posts
July 10 2013 16:37 GMT
#373
I've had this montblanc Meisterstück for quite some time, I really enjoy the way it writes although I am still getting used to it. I have very sloppy handwriting

[image loading]

"life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery" / Join TL Mafia! http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31
Nuclease
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1049 Posts
July 10 2013 17:41 GMT
#374
I for one enjoy Bic Sticks. Don't hate on my babies.

I was a debater for 4 years in high school, which requires a LOT of hand writing, very quickly, and very precisely. Bic sticks served me well!
Zealots, not zee-lots. | Never forget, KTViolet, Go)Space. | You will never be as good as By.Flash, and your drops will never be as sick as MMA.
hifriend
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
China7935 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-10 18:44:10
July 10 2013 18:43 GMT
#375
Fountain pen + good penmanship is so fucking sexy, I could watch this stuff all day. Makes me wish my hands didn't suck.

2:20
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
July 11 2013 12:29 GMT
#376
On July 11 2013 03:43 hifriend wrote:
Fountain pen + good penmanship is so fucking sexy, I could watch this stuff all day. Makes me wish my hands didn't suck.

2:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRebkWHsHC0&t=2m20s


I went to the store and played around with a pilot custom 74 with soft nib today, and it was really difficult to use actually. Using a flex nib, I'd imagine, takes a lot of skill, and you'd really need to get to know your pen really well.

Wasn't there a saying about how you should never lend three things to others, and fountain pen being one of them?
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
aseq
Profile Joined January 2003
Netherlands4020 Posts
July 11 2013 12:51 GMT
#377
My dad got himself a Waterman Edson, which cost him about 1k. I was happy to try it out once, but I don't know that much about fountain pens, so I can't really judge it. He told me there is some kind of pressure compensator in it that allows for the same handwriting at any altitude.

I actually like technical gadgets like that, but I don't see myself using that pen more often than twice a year. Maybe spending a lot of cash on a computer keyboard isn't a bad idea?
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 13:03:51
July 11 2013 12:59 GMT
#378
I don't know why you would want to insist on writing with a fountain pen on a plane (or under water??) haha, so if that's the sole reason, it'd be kind of funny.

I'm sure high-end pens from well-known makers are all amazing writers regardless of the altitude thing. And also, this is probably more like a status thing than anything else I mean, the top-tier pens are absolutely massive. Unless you've got giant hands, there's no way you can use them to write extensively.

If I still maintain my interest in fountain pens, I'd probably eventually move to a Sailor KOP, Nakaya or a Pelikan m1000... ('top tier' whatever that means)
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
plgElwood
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany518 Posts
July 11 2013 13:03 GMT
#379
Just saw this.
1k for a pen? That´s how the german parlament (Bundestag) spent 70.000€ taxmoney for pens in 3 months...
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
July 11 2013 13:06 GMT
#380
almost all manufacturers have a top-tier line that's around 1k (not counting limited/special editions)

then there are more upscale manufacturers (most common one is probably Montblanc) that start around 1k.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#102
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft460
RuFF_SC2 205
ViBE101
Nina 77
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4673
GuemChi 1247
Terrorterran 90
910 76
NaDa 30
Bale 28
Leta 22
Dota 2
monkeys_forever451
Counter-Strike
taco 523
minikerr8
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1251
Other Games
summit1g6977
JimRising 597
C9.Mang0296
Trikslyr44
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick751
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP117
• Hupsaiya 114
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo1034
• Stunt285
Other Games
• Shiphtur558
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
12h 21m
The PondCast
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 18h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.