• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:21
CEST 10:21
KST 17:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9175 users

Fountain Pens - Page 12

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 26 Next All
Kronen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States732 Posts
May 07 2013 16:35 GMT
#221
So I too was inspired by the OP and rushed out to spend some disposable income trying these pens out. Though I could've amazon primed a 5 dollar pilot, I ended up settling on a 5 dollar Schaefer pen from a local hobby store and have found that it is nothing but trouble. Every time, literally every time I uncap it it takes forever to start. Often I have to manually place a drop to several drops of water on the nib to start the flow. The writing action is very uneven and words flow will often go in and out mid word. I always immediately cap the pen after use to ward against drying.

I'm obviously new to fountain pens and probably could use practice writing with it, but I'm convinced my experience isn't solely due to my newbishness. Would you guys suggest I clean the head of my pen perhaps? Also, I've read several basic introductions on how to write with a pen, but are there any good video demonstrations you all would suggest? And finally, is there any way to salvage the two cartridges of ink that came with the pen if I decide to get a Lamy safari?

I really do like the feel of the pen (when it works) and love the end product. It's definitely more rewarding when journaling and dungeon-mastering (sending a player a note from an NPC with elegant script is so much more effective), but this pen is making me tear my eyeballs out.
Marimokkori
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States306 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-07 17:27:07
May 07 2013 17:23 GMT
#222
On May 08 2013 01:35 Kronen wrote:
So I too was inspired by the OP and rushed out to spend some disposable income trying these pens out. Though I could've amazon primed a 5 dollar pilot, I ended up settling on a 5 dollar Schaefer pen from a local hobby store and have found that it is nothing but trouble. Every time, literally every time I uncap it it takes forever to start. Often I have to manually place a drop to several drops of water on the nib to start the flow. The writing action is very uneven and words flow will often go in and out mid word. I always immediately cap the pen after use to ward against drying.

I'm obviously new to fountain pens and probably could use practice writing with it, but I'm convinced my experience isn't solely due to my newbishness. Would you guys suggest I clean the head of my pen perhaps? Also, I've read several basic introductions on how to write with a pen, but are there any good video demonstrations you all would suggest? And finally, is there any way to salvage the two cartridges of ink that came with the pen if I decide to get a Lamy safari?

I really do like the feel of the pen (when it works) and love the end product. It's definitely more rewarding when journaling and dungeon-mastering (sending a player a note from an NPC with elegant script is so much more effective), but this pen is making me tear my eyeballs out.

What model is the pen?
It sounds like something is wrong with the pen, which unfortunately can happen sometimes.

Some possible culprits:
Tines are out of alignment/bent
Channel too narrow on the feed
The pen doesn't care for the ink you're using. (Though it sounds like you're using cartridges that came with the pen, so unlikely this)
Residue left on the channel, etc from manufacturing

I would recommend first to thoroughly flush the pen with water. Hold it under a faucet, or let it soak. Some people like to use a bulb syringe to flush their pens as it takes less time. Make sure there is no ink left in the pen - water coming out of it should be totally clear/clean. Pop a cartridge back in and a) let it sit nib down for a few minutes so the feed gets saturated with ink, or b) very gently squeeze the cartridge until you see ink coming out of the feed (do not over do it, you can spray ink everywhere and break the cartridge if you are too forceful) and try writing.

Some videos

Startup issues


Extensive cleaning



If this doesn't yield any results, then you can look for some videos on adjusting the nib wetness, or perhaps try a different pen/ink. You can also return to the hobby store and let them know that something is up with the pen. They might give you a new one since it's cheaper, and while you are at the store ask if you can try writing with it to make sure everything's OK.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
salle
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Sweden5554 Posts
May 08 2013 00:06 GMT
#223
In one of my calligraphy books it said to place the nib in boiling water and then rub it clean due to some oils or whatnot that the manufacturers put on them. I've never done this though...... so can't vouch for how accurate it is.
Administrator"Ambitious but rubbish!" - Jeremy Clarkson
Kronen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States732 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-08 00:56:28
May 08 2013 00:43 GMT
#224
Thanks so much for the help guys!~

The pen I purchased is the most basic entry level Schaeffer calligraphy pen.. I didn't realize that the calligraphy nib was the reason the down stroke and cross stroke look different. I actually very much enjoy this difference and the italic look it gives.

At any rate, I flushed the nib fully and reseated the cartridge/back section. Initially I noted no difference. Using the tips in the first video you linked (thank you!! ) to get the ink flowing and I can get the ink flowing but with the same instances of inconsistency. In a moment of clarity, I noted that the angle of the nib actually greatly affects the flow. The resources I used to judge how to write (1, 2) said to hold the pen at a near 45 deg angle. This pen writes much more consistently when I hold it near vertical to the paper beneath. Is this characteristic of calligraphy style pens?

EDIT: After playing with it for some more time, the flow is still inconsistent after extended periods of time, but still flows better at sharper angles (80-90deg). 45 degrees doesn't write well at all.
Marimokkori
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States306 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-08 02:02:06
May 08 2013 02:00 GMT
#225
On May 08 2013 09:43 Kronen wrote:
Thanks so much for the help guys!~

The pen I purchased is the most basic entry level Schaeffer calligraphy pen.. I didn't realize that the calligraphy nib was the reason the down stroke and cross stroke look different. I actually very much enjoy this difference and the italic look it gives.

At any rate, I flushed the nib fully and reseated the cartridge/back section. Initially I noted no difference. Using the tips in the first video you linked (thank you!! ) to get the ink flowing and I can get the ink flowing but with the same instances of inconsistency. In a moment of clarity, I noted that the angle of the nib actually greatly affects the flow. The resources I used to judge how to write (1, 2) said to hold the pen at a near 45 deg angle. This pen writes much more consistently when I hold it near vertical to the paper beneath. Is this characteristic of calligraphy style pens?

EDIT: After playing with it for some more time, the flow is still inconsistent after extended periods of time, but still flows better at sharper angles (80-90deg). 45 degrees doesn't write well at all.

The angle does not refer to the space between the paper and shaft of the pen. It's the angle of the pen to the paper from a top-down view. For an italic nib, you want the flat tip to meet the page at roughly a 45 degree angle. Hopefully my bad drawing will help illustrate this. This is what's meant by holding it at 45 degrees:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Italic nibs (sometimes called calligraphy nibs) have a flat tip instead of a round one as I drew in the photo. This is what creates the line variation and gives wider down strokes. You need to make sure that the entire flat edge of the nib is touching the paper when you write. If you rotate the pen so that this is no longer the case, it will stop working.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
salle
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Sweden5554 Posts
May 08 2013 02:07 GMT
#226
That angle differs based on the hand you're using.
Administrator"Ambitious but rubbish!" - Jeremy Clarkson
Kronen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States732 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-08 02:19:57
May 08 2013 02:07 GMT
#227
This is what I meant by holding it vertical (though I usually have to hold it at least this high):
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


The following angles (that I find more comfortable) lend themselves to limited or no flow at all. + Show Spoiler +

[image loading][image loading]


Sorry if I was unclear. Is this normal for all fountain pens?

EDIT: it's funny that my chinese wife detailed for my the style of chinese calligraphy that holds the pen vertical and it does write some more consistency though being incredibly inefficient.
salle
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Sweden5554 Posts
May 08 2013 02:11 GMT
#228
On May 08 2013 11:07 Kronen wrote:
This is what I meant by holding it vertical (though I usually have to hold it at least this high): + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


The following angles (that I find more comfortable) lend themselves to limited or no flow at all.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading][image loading]


Sorry if I was unclear. Is this normal for all fountain pens?


in that type of angle mine is more shallow, about 20-30 degrees when I write with a calligraphic nib.
With normal nibs you can write at any angle up to 90 degrees since the tip is completely rounded.

Do you have problems with ink flow only when you push or is it when you drag it too?
Administrator"Ambitious but rubbish!" - Jeremy Clarkson
Marimokkori
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States306 Posts
May 08 2013 02:20 GMT
#229
You should not have flow problems at the more comfortable angles for you. On my italic (Pilot Plumix) I get consistent flow from the most shallow angle possible, to past 90 degrees where I'm writing with the "wrong side" of the nib.

It sounds to me that 1, you aren't holding the flat edge of the nib flush to the paper, or 2, something is wrong with the pen.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Kronen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States732 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-08 02:40:22
May 08 2013 02:28 GMT
#230
On May 08 2013 11:11 salle wrote:
in that type of angle mine is more shallow, about 20-30 degrees when I write with a calligraphic nib.
With normal nibs you can write at any angle up to 90 degrees since the tip is completely rounded.

Do you have problems with ink flow only when you push or is it when you drag it too?


Honestly, the more I write on it and benchmark the problems, the more examples of inconsistency I experience. (Waiting to hear your response to my PM re: push and drag) I'm having flow issues sporadically at all angles. I'm thinking of doing the full cleaning detailed in the video before throwing in the towel. On the plus side, this extended experimentation/hemming and hawing has my wife ready to buy me a Safari.

On May 08 2013 11:20 Marimokkori wrote:
It sounds to me that 1, you aren't holding the flat edge of the nib flush to the paper, or 2, something is wrong with the pen.


Yea, I'm thinking that something is just wrong. I attempted to gauge the consistency of the pen at the different angles and it's just inconsistent across the board. The flat edge is flush to the paper most definitely. I'll get back to you if anything changes after the full cleaning, but I don't anticipate a big change.
ZerONine09
Profile Joined January 2012
United Kingdom42 Posts
May 09 2013 02:41 GMT
#231
Well after reading this thread I was inspired to try a fountain pen so I ordered the Lamy Safari F. I had no clue about the width of the nib, but i read that F on the Lamy was fairly wide. I'll update with my noob opinion once it arrives!
ieatkids5
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United States4628 Posts
May 09 2013 03:17 GMT
#232
my girlfriend loves fancy fountain pens, and gave me one for christmas. but i never use it cuz i cant spin the damn thing.
Kronen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States732 Posts
May 10 2013 03:13 GMT
#233
Hey guys! Thanks for he help previously! After the cleaning the shitty sheaffer pen still had inconsistencies, but my Lamy vista arrived and writes like a charm. Very very happy with that purchase.
TheEmulator
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
28103 Posts
May 10 2013 03:14 GMT
#234
I love fountain pens
Administrator
wptlzkwjd
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada1240 Posts
May 10 2013 03:29 GMT
#235
On May 08 2013 11:07 Kronen wrote:
This is what I meant by holding it vertical (though I usually have to hold it at least this high):
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


The following angles (that I find more comfortable) lend themselves to limited or no flow at all. + Show Spoiler +

[image loading][image loading]


Sorry if I was unclear. Is this normal for all fountain pens?

EDIT: it's funny that my chinese wife detailed for my the style of chinese calligraphy that holds the pen vertical and it does write some more consistency though being incredibly inefficient.


Isn't Chinese Calligraphy done using horsetail brushes?
Feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MagnusAskeland/
Lysenko
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Iceland2128 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-10 03:43:40
May 10 2013 03:42 GMT
#236
On May 08 2013 09:43 Kronen wrote:
Thanks so much for the help guys!~

The pen I purchased is the most basic entry level Schaeffer calligraphy pen.. I didn't realize that the calligraphy nib was the reason the down stroke and cross stroke look different. I actually very much enjoy this difference and the italic look it gives.


I think a significant issue with fountain pens is that they are very sensitive to manufacturing tolerances and material quality. A $5 pen may never perform exceptionally well. The ~$28 Lamy Safari is one of the more commonly recommended inexpensive fountain pens, and the Lamy 2000 is probably near the high end of performance (at a price of about $135.) Above that you are pretty much just paying for style and/or gold/platinum content.

Me, I wound up getting a Cross C-series gel pen (also about $135), which feels fantastic, writes perfectly, requires no maintenance, and won't leak on airplanes. But, I'm not a purist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism
Marimokkori
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States306 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-10 04:52:03
May 10 2013 04:50 GMT
#237
On May 10 2013 12:42 Lysenko wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 08 2013 09:43 Kronen wrote:
Thanks so much for the help guys!~

The pen I purchased is the most basic entry level Schaeffer calligraphy pen.. I didn't realize that the calligraphy nib was the reason the down stroke and cross stroke look different. I actually very much enjoy this difference and the italic look it gives.


I think a significant issue with fountain pens is that they are very sensitive to manufacturing tolerances and material quality. A $5 pen may never perform exceptionally well. The ~$28 Lamy Safari is one of the more commonly recommended inexpensive fountain pens, and the Lamy 2000 is probably near the high end of performance (at a price of about $135.) Above that you are pretty much just paying for style and/or gold/platinum content.

Me, I wound up getting a Cross C-series gel pen (also about $135), which feels fantastic, writes perfectly, requires no maintenance, and won't leak on airplanes. But, I'm not a purist.

The only pen I'm thinking about getting in that range is the Namiki Falcon.




No way I'd ever spend that much on a gel pen It is a nice looking pen though! The most expensive gel I have is a Zebra Airfit that I use for work because the spring clips on them are awesome when you have to constantly remove/replace the pen in a shirt pocket. Dr. Grips are probably the most popular gel pens that I know of. Are they like the Lamy Safari of gel pens?

On May 10 2013 12:13 Kronen wrote:
Hey guys! Thanks for he help previously! After the cleaning the shitty sheaffer pen still had inconsistencies, but my Lamy vista arrived and writes like a charm. Very very happy with that purchase.

Glad you got something you like! What kind of nib did you get?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
hillman
Profile Joined February 2012
United States162 Posts
May 10 2013 05:06 GMT
#238
Wow, I've never messed with these...but after reading this I think it might be the superior way to write with ink!
Kenshin_915
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada139 Posts
May 10 2013 05:31 GMT
#239
I too am a shameless consumer and bought my first fountain pen after reading this thread. A Lamy Safari to be precise. I just recieved it today and already love it. It writes smoothly and is quite fun to use. It came with some standard black ink, and I bought some sky blue colour ink too and ended up using that first. The blue ink looks quite nice and is unusual for me to use because it's a light playful colour and I usually stick to darker shades but it's a nice change.

I went with a medium nib, and although it's fine for my normal writing size I just ordered a fine because of the fact that I write a little bit slower with it so more ink is laid down on the page. I think the fine will be better for note writing as I write quite a lot of them for school. Overall I'm very pleased and have taken to the pen very quickly. My next order of business is to get a converter then some crazy ass coloured inks from Noodlers and I'll be set .
Mortal
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
2943 Posts
May 10 2013 16:13 GMT
#240
I've tried using these a few times, and have run across one problem, I'm left handed. Being a lefty seems to not translate well writing English with a fountain pen. If anyone has experience or tips on how to make my writing flow better writing with one of these as a lefty, I'd love to hear your advice! (I'm a complete noob @ these, so it could just be ignorance leading me astray).
The universe created an audience for itself.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 1193
BeSt 325
Soma 245
Soulkey 228
sorry 154
Larva 81
Mind 66
Bale 26
ZerO 26
soO 24
[ Show more ]
ajuk12(nOOB) 16
scan(afreeca) 12
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm194
League of Legends
JimRising 579
Counter-Strike
edward333
Other Games
summit1g8035
singsing819
Coldzera 679
WinterStarcraft672
Sick202
ZerO(Twitch)10
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick725
BasetradeTV218
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• LUISG 0
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2227
League of Legends
• Jankos1411
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
1h 40m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
3h 40m
AI Arena Tournament
8h 40m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
10h 40m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
Patches Events
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.