• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:53
CEST 15:53
KST 22:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7953 users

Fountain Pens - Page 13

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 26 Next All
salle
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Sweden5554 Posts
May 10 2013 16:29 GMT
#241
On May 11 2013 01:13 Mortal wrote:
I've tried using these a few times, and have run across one problem, I'm left handed. Being a lefty seems to not translate well writing English with a fountain pen. If anyone has experience or tips on how to make my writing flow better writing with one of these as a lefty, I'd love to hear your advice! (I'm a complete noob @ these, so it could just be ignorance leading me astray).

Not a lefty, but google is your friend. http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand writers.htm was the top hit for me searching on google.
Administrator"Ambitious but rubbish!" - Jeremy Clarkson
ZerONine09
Profile Joined January 2012
United Kingdom42 Posts
May 12 2013 01:04 GMT
#242
Alright I received the Lami Safari. So far so good. Two things though.
1) The fine nib seems a little bit too narrow for my taste. I'll switch up to a medium for the next pen.
2) The nib is a bit scratchy.
salle
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Sweden5554 Posts
May 12 2013 01:07 GMT
#243
Fine nibs usually are scratchy. but you can also check it with a microscope to see if it's correctly aligned.
Administrator"Ambitious but rubbish!" - Jeremy Clarkson
Marimokkori
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States306 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-12 04:15:02
May 12 2013 03:37 GMT
#244
It may still be slightly scratchy even if the tines are aligned correctly. You can smooth it out a bit yourself.




If you don't want to buy another pen, you can buy a Lamy nib and just swap it with the one you are using now. ~$10. A broader nib will feel smoother just in nature. More ink = more lubrication for the nib.
http://www.jetpens.com/Lamy-Fountain-Pen-Nib-Stainless-Steel-Finish-Medium/pd/3632


Also, I just bought some new pens and ink.
Noodler's Konrad Flex pen
Monteverde Artistra Crystal, clear
Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo ink

Will update with thoghts/photos when they arrive
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
wptlzkwjd
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada1240 Posts
May 12 2013 05:58 GMT
#245
On May 12 2013 12:37 Marimokkori wrote:
It may still be slightly scratchy even if the tines are aligned correctly. You can smooth it out a bit yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5NImdKrE1k


If you don't want to buy another pen, you can buy a Lamy nib and just swap it with the one you are using now. ~$10. A broader nib will feel smoother just in nature. More ink = more lubrication for the nib.
http://www.jetpens.com/Lamy-Fountain-Pen-Nib-Stainless-Steel-Finish-Medium/pd/3632


Also, I just bought some new pens and ink.
Noodler's Konrad Flex pen
Monteverde Artistra Crystal, clear
Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo ink

Will update with thoghts/photos when they arrive



I've used the Tsuki-yo ink you've just ordered for more than half a year and it's incredible in my decimo.
Feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MagnusAskeland/
lazyitachi
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
1043 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-12 15:24:05
May 12 2013 15:23 GMT
#246
Currently I have the Al-Star, Lamy Safari and Vista in Fine, Medium and Broad nibs.
Also ordered the Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo last week in addition to Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire and Diamine Graphite.
Very excited and hope to get them soon.

The Monteverde looks very nice.

Signed up for the Goulet Ink Drop club.. So very excited about that!!!
Samples are shipping from US

ZerONine09
Profile Joined January 2012
United Kingdom42 Posts
May 12 2013 16:08 GMT
#247
On May 12 2013 12:37 Marimokkori wrote:
It may still be slightly scratchy even if the tines are aligned correctly. You can smooth it out a bit yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5NImdKrE1k


If you don't want to buy another pen, you can buy a Lamy nib and just swap it with the one you are using now. ~$10. A broader nib will feel smoother just in nature. More ink = more lubrication for the nib.
http://www.jetpens.com/Lamy-Fountain-Pen-Nib-Stainless-Steel-Finish-Medium/pd/3632


Also, I just bought some new pens and ink.
Noodler's Konrad Flex pen
Monteverde Artistra Crystal, clear
Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo ink

Will update with thoghts/photos when they arrive

Yeah I think I might just order another nib. The opportunity cost of getting a new nib is probably smaller than getting a repair kit.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
May 12 2013 16:41 GMT
#248
On May 13 2013 00:23 lazyitachi wrote:
Currently I have the Al-Star, Lamy Safari and Vista in Fine, Medium and Broad nibs.
Also ordered the Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo last week in addition to Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire and Diamine Graphite.
Very excited and hope to get them soon.

The Monteverde looks very nice.

Signed up for the Goulet Ink Drop club.. So very excited about that!!!
Samples are shipping from US

I'm going crazy with this but I've picked up
-Parker Quink black
-Lamy T52 black
-Waterman Serenity Blue
-Pelikan 4001 brilliant green
-Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo
-Iroshizuku Fuyu-gaki
-Iroshizuku Chiku-rin

Also I have a Pilot Metropolitan coming. Inks' gonna have to go somewhere!
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
lazyitachi
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
1043 Posts
May 12 2013 18:27 GMT
#249
Lol.. That's a lot of pickup..
Damn.. you rich bastard.. lots of Iroshizuku.. nice colors as well.. Gotta catch em all :p


I am very scared of doing the same... will make moving and storing a bigger hassle than it is now

Hoping to find people to exchange ink samples. I know FP network has one for US..
In the mean time will make do with the Goulet sampling
XCetron
Profile Joined November 2006
5226 Posts
May 12 2013 19:55 GMT
#250
Small sale if anyone in here interested. Lamy Safari Vista
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
May 12 2013 20:49 GMT
#251
On May 13 2013 03:27 lazyitachi wrote:
Lol.. That's a lot of pickup..
Damn.. you rich bastard.. lots of Iroshizuku.. nice colors as well.. Gotta catch em all :p


I am very scared of doing the same... will make moving and storing a bigger hassle than it is now

Hoping to find people to exchange ink samples. I know FP network has one for US..
In the mean time will make do with the Goulet sampling

Yeah let's just say I wasn't very reasonable with it. My justification is that my "desk ornaments" were various figurines and I felt like updating it for a different look. And of course I've been having a good time with the pens :D
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Marimokkori
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States306 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-12 23:47:01
May 12 2013 23:36 GMT
#252
On May 13 2013 03:27 lazyitachi wrote:
Lol.. That's a lot of pickup..
Damn.. you rich bastard.. lots of Iroshizuku.. nice colors as well.. Gotta catch em all :p


I am very scared of doing the same... will make moving and storing a bigger hassle than it is now

Hoping to find people to exchange ink samples. I know FP network has one for US..
In the mean time will make do with the Goulet sampling


AFAIK a lot of pen/ink lovers try to sell their surplus ink to avoid packaging/handling while moving.

On May 13 2013 00:23 lazyitachi wrote:
Currently I have the Al-Star, Lamy Safari and Vista in Fine, Medium and Broad nibs.
Also ordered the Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo last week in addition to Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire and Diamine Graphite.
Very excited and hope to get them soon.

The Monteverde looks very nice.

Signed up for the Goulet Ink Drop club.. So very excited about that!!!
Samples are shipping from US


Let me know how the Ink Drop club is. I was curious about it but didn't really want to go for it without knowing anything.

While on the topic of ink, since I know there are some super fountain pen noobies who got into them because of this thread...

Try not to store your ink in direct sunlight. Use a cabinet or desk drawer, something like that. Fountain pen inks are water based and don't do very well spending an extended duration in sunlight.

Nice intro to bottled ink video by Brian Goulet
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
[DekAr]
Profile Joined February 2011
United States59 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-12 23:37:47
May 12 2013 23:37 GMT
#253
I ordered a Pilot Metropolitan and loved it, very smooth writing and felt much better than a rollerball. Forgot to get any ink with it, so I'm out! I've got some cartridges coming tomorrow and it'll be nice to use it for summer class now. Thanks for the recommendation OP
lazyitachi
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
1043 Posts
May 13 2013 02:05 GMT
#254
AFAIK for the Ink Drop, they usually come in certain theme, here is an archive of the previous colors.
http://www.gouletpens.com/Ink_Drop_Archive_s/1081.htm

Excited to get my De Atramentis Mint Turquoise, De Atramentis Ocher Yellow, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Bordeaux, Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun. Maybe I can do some ink sampling/ swabbing if I can overcome my laziness.

They are 2ml each.. so very little left to do actual writing after the sampling.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
May 14 2013 01:38 GMT
#255
Quick bump: I got my Pilot Metropolitan and it's pretty darn good for the price. For $15 I didn't expect to get a fairly heavy pen with a nice box, but I did, and I like heavy. Also, it's about as scratchy as my Nemosine singularity, which means it's soft enough to be comfortable although not very soft.

My only complaint is the "squeeze" converter is not transparent so there's really no way to know how much ink is left in the pen. There's no way to know if the converter filled up properly in the first place. That said, it does seem to be able to hold a fair bit of ink.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Marimokkori
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States306 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-14 02:06:20
May 14 2013 02:04 GMT
#256
On May 14 2013 10:38 Djzapz wrote:
Quick bump: I got my Pilot Metropolitan and it's pretty darn good for the price. For $15 I didn't expect to get a fairly heavy pen with a nice box, but I did, and I like heavy. Also, it's about as scratchy as my Nemosine singularity, which means it's soft enough to be comfortable although not very soft.

My only complaint is the "squeeze" converter is not transparent so there's really no way to know how much ink is left in the pen. There's no way to know if the converter filled up properly in the first place. That said, it does seem to be able to hold a fair bit of ink.

You can look into getting a different converter. The squeeze filler you have I think is called the CON-20. The CON-50 and CON-70 pilot converters are piston types that are clear plastic.

The CON-70 is the largest and may not fit, so be sure to do a little research first if you want to get one.


--
My shipment of pens went out today. Should be here by the end of the week! I'm excited to try out Noodler's flex nibs.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
hp.Shell
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2527 Posts
May 14 2013 02:21 GMT
#257
Wow, those videos with the guy using the pen to write stuff...
I'd love to be able to write like that.

I can see the price tag being fairly inexpensive (even the $150+ ones) if you're a writer by trade or ambition. A pen like that could motivate you to sit and write every day!
Please PM me with any songs you like that you think I haven't heard before!
teddyoojo
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany22369 Posts
May 14 2013 02:28 GMT
#258
srsly EVERYTIME i see this on the sidebar i read fountain penis
i dont know whats wrong with me
Esports historian since 2000. Creator of 'The Universe' and 'The best scrambled Eggs 2013'. Host of 'Star Wars Marathon 2015'. Thinker of 'teddyoojo's Thoughts'. Earths and Moons leading CS:GO expert. Lord of the Rings.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-14 02:50:35
May 14 2013 02:48 GMT
#259
On May 14 2013 11:04 Marimokkori wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 14 2013 10:38 Djzapz wrote:
Quick bump: I got my Pilot Metropolitan and it's pretty darn good for the price. For $15 I didn't expect to get a fairly heavy pen with a nice box, but I did, and I like heavy. Also, it's about as scratchy as my Nemosine singularity, which means it's soft enough to be comfortable although not very soft.

My only complaint is the "squeeze" converter is not transparent so there's really no way to know how much ink is left in the pen. There's no way to know if the converter filled up properly in the first place. That said, it does seem to be able to hold a fair bit of ink.

You can look into getting a different converter. The squeeze filler you have I think is called the CON-20. The CON-50 and CON-70 pilot converters are piston types that are clear plastic.

The CON-70 is the largest and may not fit, so be sure to do a little research first if you want to get one.


--
My shipment of pens went out today. Should be here by the end of the week! I'm excited to try out Noodler's flex nibs.

Yeah I actually thought about picking up the CON-50 (hadn't heard about the CON-70) but I'm looking at $8 shipped from Hong-Kong, which seems a bit expensive for a plastic tube and a gasket. Ordering it alone is not super viable. I'll just use the stock converter at least for now, maybe it'll grow on me.

Edit: I believe the CON-70 is not compatible.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
wptlzkwjd
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada1240 Posts
May 14 2013 08:01 GMT
#260
On May 14 2013 11:48 Djzapz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 14 2013 11:04 Marimokkori wrote:
On May 14 2013 10:38 Djzapz wrote:
Quick bump: I got my Pilot Metropolitan and it's pretty darn good for the price. For $15 I didn't expect to get a fairly heavy pen with a nice box, but I did, and I like heavy. Also, it's about as scratchy as my Nemosine singularity, which means it's soft enough to be comfortable although not very soft.

My only complaint is the "squeeze" converter is not transparent so there's really no way to know how much ink is left in the pen. There's no way to know if the converter filled up properly in the first place. That said, it does seem to be able to hold a fair bit of ink.

You can look into getting a different converter. The squeeze filler you have I think is called the CON-20. The CON-50 and CON-70 pilot converters are piston types that are clear plastic.

The CON-70 is the largest and may not fit, so be sure to do a little research first if you want to get one.


--
My shipment of pens went out today. Should be here by the end of the week! I'm excited to try out Noodler's flex nibs.

Yeah I actually thought about picking up the CON-50 (hadn't heard about the CON-70) but I'm looking at $8 shipped from Hong-Kong, which seems a bit expensive for a plastic tube and a gasket. Ordering it alone is not super viable. I'll just use the stock converter at least for now, maybe it'll grow on me.

Edit: I believe the CON-70 is not compatible.


I have the CON-50 for my Decimo and it is an absolute waste of money. However, this might be due to the nature of the Decimo (it's a clickable fountain pen) which might change the pressure inside the compartment making ink spill all over the place. I have resorted to just using the default squeeze converter =/.

Btw I saw that you were buying a lot of different inks. Do you just have the one pen or do you already have several others? Because you will have quite the time washing your Metropolitan out everytime you change inks xD (I found it bothersome just to clean-up after my CON-50 exploded ink everywhere).
Feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MagnusAskeland/
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1088
RotterdaM575
SteadfastSC290
TKL 221
Rex125
CosmosSc2 35
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 575
SteadfastSC 290
TKL 221
Rex 125
CosmosSc2 35
Codebar 27
ProTech0
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45950
Shuttle 2650
Calm 1505
Jaedong 1150
Horang2 840
Mini 630
actioN 608
EffOrt 569
Soulkey 483
Soma 408
[ Show more ]
Stork 320
Rush 258
Larva 243
BeSt 216
Snow 196
ZerO 182
firebathero 135
Mong 112
Zeus 94
Last 78
910 75
hero 70
Mind 65
Free 64
Hyun 56
Yoon 50
Sharp 41
PianO 37
sorry 36
Pusan 34
Shinee 33
JYJ 27
Shine 25
Bale 24
Hm[arnc] 23
ToSsGirL 22
Sexy 22
HiyA 21
Aegong 19
Terrorterran 18
scan(afreeca) 15
Sacsri 12
Noble 11
Rock 8
Icarus 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5090
Dendi1194
Counter-Strike
fl0m1811
Fnx 575
edward46
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King170
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes576
Lowko358
Other Games
singsing2210
olofmeister1284
hiko574
B2W.Neo353
DeMusliM217
Livibee179
Pyrionflax170
Liquid`VortiX115
Khaldor81
QueenE72
Trikslyr63
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1513
Other Games
BasetradeTV160
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH182
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2121
• Jankos1525
• TFBlade520
Other Games
• Shiphtur657
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 7m
The PondCast
20h 7m
INu's Battles
21h 7m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.