• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:12
CEST 07:12
KST 14:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7676 users

Nutella loses $3.5million lawsuit - Page 23

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All
dotHead
Profile Joined October 2010
United States233 Posts
April 28 2012 17:48 GMT
#441
I haven't really looked in to the case, but what made her decide that it wasn't healthy, and that she needed to sue? Did her four year old child get really fat, or get sick or something? My son eats Nutella daily for a snack, or on toast in the morning, and has no problems with his health, or his weight. Actually he is quite fit, and very active. I just want to know how they determined it "Unhealthy"? When in reality, it isn't any worse than most of the other foods kids are given daily.
Aint got time to bleed
Joefish
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany314 Posts
April 28 2012 17:51 GMT
#442
On April 29 2012 02:16 FallDownMarigold wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 18:15 thesideshow wrote:
On April 28 2012 17:14 Daogin wrote:
On April 28 2012 16:55 Man with a Plan wrote:
On April 28 2012 16:21 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On April 28 2012 08:40 flamewheel wrote:
Coffee is hot.

This should be regarded as a gaffe, believe it or not. People like to make fun of the lady who sued McDonald's because she spilled scalding hot coffee on her lap. The fact of the matter is that the coffee was so negligently hot that it actually burned her vagina straight through to the pelvic bone. Too graphic? Well that's what she endured due to McDonald's mistake. She didn't even get any money in the end, so it's pretty crude to deride her experience.

Spilling coffee from a restaurant should result in some sharp pain at most. I think it's reasonable to sue the SHIT out of a place that serves a product capable of melting flesh to the bone without explicit warning. If they wanted to serve it that hot they could've at least included a "CAUTION: Don't spill or this shit will melt your flesh! It's that hot and good!" sticker on their cups

Yeah, the McDonald's example is becoming a legend that people do not anymore know the real story behind it. The sad thing about it is that the woman didn't even get compensated.


the thing that gets me about mcdonalds is the fact that i dont even know how they managed to get such "hot" coffee. I work at Tim Hortons and the hottest thing we serve is tea, which is boiling water but not enough to cause third degree burns. I've even spilt it all over my hands, yea it's hot but not that hot :S


I was getting kind of confused with that too. Until I realised the temperatures were being reported in fahrenheit. So Macdonald's coffee was served below boiling. I make drinks and soups hotter than that.
The key to the woman's injury was the type of fabric she was wearing.

I don't see how that can be termed "negligently hot". But I'm no lawyer so I won't comment.


You don't see how? This is how: When you serve your coffee between 40 and 50°F hotter than what's served in other restaurants and homes, you are serving negligently hot coffee.

Ave. Temp of restaurant coffee + home served coffee = ~130-140°F. Guess what McDonald's was? 180-190°F. Guess what boiling is? ~212°F.

Are you still sorta confused as to where the "negligent" bit fits into the puzzle? Hint: It's completely negligent to serve a customer something that can seriously injure them without ample warning. Like I said before: If they wanted to serve their coffee that hot, they should've explored the risks and made them explicit to the consumer. If the lady saw "CAUTION: SPILLS ON CLOTHING WILL INDUCE 3° BURNS" she probably wouldn't have decided to set it between her legs in a moving vehicle. And if she wanted to take that risk anyway, well, then it's her fault because of the clear warning. Finally, the personal anecdote "Oh but I make boiling drinks/soup all the time" is pretty trivial. So what. The keys to the woman's injury were clearly both the fact that her fabric absorbed the liquid, and the fact that the liquid itself was negligently hot. If you still want to argue, I'll just cut it short by saying McDonald's now serves warm coffee, instead of scalding coffee, thus implicating that they were in fact in the wrong from a health & safety perspective in their previous method of coffee making.


I see your point but still...
It seems that people aren't capable of thinking for themselves anymore. When I order a coffee I don't care if it's 190°F or 140°F. I know it's hot and should better watch out and definitely don't put it between my legs.
Same goes for the mother in this case.
Maybe we should banish people form our society because their stupidity could harm others and themselves?
And whats most tragic about this is she won the case.
when she realized the spread is about as healthy as your average Snickers bar, she decided it was time to get even -- and get cash.

Seriously.. People need to grow up
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
April 28 2012 17:54 GMT
#443
Since congress made pizza a vegetable, can I sue the american congress?
BlitzerSC
Profile Joined May 2011
Italy8800 Posts
April 28 2012 17:57 GMT
#444
God, I'm worried for her children...
NovaTheFeared
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
United States7232 Posts
April 28 2012 18:00 GMT
#445
When I was a child I knew that "part of a balanced breakfast" meant the cereal wasn't healthy for you. In order for me to believe this was deceptive advertising, I also have to believe the mom is too mentally deficient to be allowed to raise her own children since her mental faculties are below that of even a child.
日本語が分かりますか
paralleluniverse
Profile Joined July 2010
4065 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-28 18:08:16
April 28 2012 18:03 GMT
#446
On April 29 2012 02:51 Joefish wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 29 2012 02:16 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On April 28 2012 18:15 thesideshow wrote:
On April 28 2012 17:14 Daogin wrote:
On April 28 2012 16:55 Man with a Plan wrote:
On April 28 2012 16:21 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On April 28 2012 08:40 flamewheel wrote:
Coffee is hot.

This should be regarded as a gaffe, believe it or not. People like to make fun of the lady who sued McDonald's because she spilled scalding hot coffee on her lap. The fact of the matter is that the coffee was so negligently hot that it actually burned her vagina straight through to the pelvic bone. Too graphic? Well that's what she endured due to McDonald's mistake. She didn't even get any money in the end, so it's pretty crude to deride her experience.

Spilling coffee from a restaurant should result in some sharp pain at most. I think it's reasonable to sue the SHIT out of a place that serves a product capable of melting flesh to the bone without explicit warning. If they wanted to serve it that hot they could've at least included a "CAUTION: Don't spill or this shit will melt your flesh! It's that hot and good!" sticker on their cups

Yeah, the McDonald's example is becoming a legend that people do not anymore know the real story behind it. The sad thing about it is that the woman didn't even get compensated.


the thing that gets me about mcdonalds is the fact that i dont even know how they managed to get such "hot" coffee. I work at Tim Hortons and the hottest thing we serve is tea, which is boiling water but not enough to cause third degree burns. I've even spilt it all over my hands, yea it's hot but not that hot :S


I was getting kind of confused with that too. Until I realised the temperatures were being reported in fahrenheit. So Macdonald's coffee was served below boiling. I make drinks and soups hotter than that.
The key to the woman's injury was the type of fabric she was wearing.

I don't see how that can be termed "negligently hot". But I'm no lawyer so I won't comment.


You don't see how? This is how: When you serve your coffee between 40 and 50°F hotter than what's served in other restaurants and homes, you are serving negligently hot coffee.

Ave. Temp of restaurant coffee + home served coffee = ~130-140°F. Guess what McDonald's was? 180-190°F. Guess what boiling is? ~212°F.

Are you still sorta confused as to where the "negligent" bit fits into the puzzle? Hint: It's completely negligent to serve a customer something that can seriously injure them without ample warning. Like I said before: If they wanted to serve their coffee that hot, they should've explored the risks and made them explicit to the consumer. If the lady saw "CAUTION: SPILLS ON CLOTHING WILL INDUCE 3° BURNS" she probably wouldn't have decided to set it between her legs in a moving vehicle. And if she wanted to take that risk anyway, well, then it's her fault because of the clear warning. Finally, the personal anecdote "Oh but I make boiling drinks/soup all the time" is pretty trivial. So what. The keys to the woman's injury were clearly both the fact that her fabric absorbed the liquid, and the fact that the liquid itself was negligently hot. If you still want to argue, I'll just cut it short by saying McDonald's now serves warm coffee, instead of scalding coffee, thus implicating that they were in fact in the wrong from a health & safety perspective in their previous method of coffee making.


I see your point but still...
It seems that people aren't capable of thinking for themselves anymore. When I order a coffee I don't care if it's 190°F or 140°F. I know it's hot and should better watch out and definitely don't put it between my legs.
Same goes for the mother in this case.
Maybe we should banish people form our society because their stupidity could harm others and themselves?
And whats most tragic about this is she won the case.
Show nested quote +
when she realized the spread is about as healthy as your average Snickers bar, she decided it was time to get even -- and get cash.

Seriously.. People need to grow up

The fact that she put the coffee between her legs is irrelevant. What if it accidentally spilled on her instead? What matters is the temperature of the coffee. And your argument is that coffee is hot so it doesn't matter how hot it is, which is absurd, because it would imply that anyone could served 270°F coffee or higher, but not be negligent for any damages caused.
dbald27
Profile Joined March 2011
United States49 Posts
April 28 2012 18:14 GMT
#447
4 dollars, here I come!
also known as kintaro. UCD FIGHTING!!
radiatoren
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Denmark1907 Posts
April 28 2012 18:20 GMT
#448
On April 29 2012 03:03 paralleluniverse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 29 2012 02:51 Joefish wrote:
On April 29 2012 02:16 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On April 28 2012 18:15 thesideshow wrote:
On April 28 2012 17:14 Daogin wrote:
On April 28 2012 16:55 Man with a Plan wrote:
On April 28 2012 16:21 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On April 28 2012 08:40 flamewheel wrote:
Coffee is hot.

This should be regarded as a gaffe, believe it or not. People like to make fun of the lady who sued McDonald's because she spilled scalding hot coffee on her lap. The fact of the matter is that the coffee was so negligently hot that it actually burned her vagina straight through to the pelvic bone. Too graphic? Well that's what she endured due to McDonald's mistake. She didn't even get any money in the end, so it's pretty crude to deride her experience.

Spilling coffee from a restaurant should result in some sharp pain at most. I think it's reasonable to sue the SHIT out of a place that serves a product capable of melting flesh to the bone without explicit warning. If they wanted to serve it that hot they could've at least included a "CAUTION: Don't spill or this shit will melt your flesh! It's that hot and good!" sticker on their cups

Yeah, the McDonald's example is becoming a legend that people do not anymore know the real story behind it. The sad thing about it is that the woman didn't even get compensated.


the thing that gets me about mcdonalds is the fact that i dont even know how they managed to get such "hot" coffee. I work at Tim Hortons and the hottest thing we serve is tea, which is boiling water but not enough to cause third degree burns. I've even spilt it all over my hands, yea it's hot but not that hot :S


I was getting kind of confused with that too. Until I realised the temperatures were being reported in fahrenheit. So Macdonald's coffee was served below boiling. I make drinks and soups hotter than that.
The key to the woman's injury was the type of fabric she was wearing.

I don't see how that can be termed "negligently hot". But I'm no lawyer so I won't comment.


You don't see how? This is how: When you serve your coffee between 40 and 50°F hotter than what's served in other restaurants and homes, you are serving negligently hot coffee.

Ave. Temp of restaurant coffee + home served coffee = ~130-140°F. Guess what McDonald's was? 180-190°F. Guess what boiling is? ~212°F.

Are you still sorta confused as to where the "negligent" bit fits into the puzzle? Hint: It's completely negligent to serve a customer something that can seriously injure them without ample warning. Like I said before: If they wanted to serve their coffee that hot, they should've explored the risks and made them explicit to the consumer. If the lady saw "CAUTION: SPILLS ON CLOTHING WILL INDUCE 3° BURNS" she probably wouldn't have decided to set it between her legs in a moving vehicle. And if she wanted to take that risk anyway, well, then it's her fault because of the clear warning. Finally, the personal anecdote "Oh but I make boiling drinks/soup all the time" is pretty trivial. So what. The keys to the woman's injury were clearly both the fact that her fabric absorbed the liquid, and the fact that the liquid itself was negligently hot. If you still want to argue, I'll just cut it short by saying McDonald's now serves warm coffee, instead of scalding coffee, thus implicating that they were in fact in the wrong from a health & safety perspective in their previous method of coffee making.


I see your point but still...
It seems that people aren't capable of thinking for themselves anymore. When I order a coffee I don't care if it's 190°F or 140°F. I know it's hot and should better watch out and definitely don't put it between my legs.
Same goes for the mother in this case.
Maybe we should banish people form our society because their stupidity could harm others and themselves?
And whats most tragic about this is she won the case.
when she realized the spread is about as healthy as your average Snickers bar, she decided it was time to get even -- and get cash.

Seriously.. People need to grow up

The fact that she put the coffee between her legs is irrelevant. What if it accidentally spilled on her instead? What matters is the temperature of the coffee. And your argument is that coffee is hot so it doesn't matter how hot it is, which is absurd, because it would imply that anyone could served 270°F coffee or higher, but not be negligent for any damages caused.

In most other countries the claim would fall under the category "common sense". The woman was the cause of the accident and since it was not the intent of McDonalds we are looking at negligence.
I do not know the specific standards on coffee and how to make it, but I remember something about the coffee getting more aroma out at a certain temperature-range.
I do not know the specific claims from the case so I cannot judge it on its merits, but to me a logical claim of better coffee at the higher temperature would seem like enough of a valid reason to accept it as an acceptable practice in the field and therefore not negligence.
Repeat before me
BillClinton
Profile Joined November 2009
232 Posts
April 28 2012 18:21 GMT
#449
On April 28 2012 08:38 rotinegg wrote:
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/today-food-finance-nutella-not-broccoli-162956191.html

So basically, Ferrero, the company that makes Nutella, got sued by some woman named Athena Hohenberg, because she was an idiot and thought Nutella would be HEALTHY for her children. Turns out, it's not (surprise surprise) and she filed a lawsuit claiming false advertising. She won the case, and Ferrero has to shell out $3.5 million, 2.5 of which will be spread out to claimants in a class action lawsuit.

I think this is retarded, and sometimes I really hate the people we live with. Thoughts?


Is the woman retarded because she abused the system or is the system retarded because it got abused by the woman?
Before you judge sth, keep in mind that the less you know about sth, the more that what you think or pretend to know about it, it says about yourself and your environment.
paralleluniverse
Profile Joined July 2010
4065 Posts
April 28 2012 18:23 GMT
#450
On April 29 2012 03:20 radiatoren wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 29 2012 03:03 paralleluniverse wrote:
On April 29 2012 02:51 Joefish wrote:
On April 29 2012 02:16 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On April 28 2012 18:15 thesideshow wrote:
On April 28 2012 17:14 Daogin wrote:
On April 28 2012 16:55 Man with a Plan wrote:
On April 28 2012 16:21 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On April 28 2012 08:40 flamewheel wrote:
Coffee is hot.

This should be regarded as a gaffe, believe it or not. People like to make fun of the lady who sued McDonald's because she spilled scalding hot coffee on her lap. The fact of the matter is that the coffee was so negligently hot that it actually burned her vagina straight through to the pelvic bone. Too graphic? Well that's what she endured due to McDonald's mistake. She didn't even get any money in the end, so it's pretty crude to deride her experience.

Spilling coffee from a restaurant should result in some sharp pain at most. I think it's reasonable to sue the SHIT out of a place that serves a product capable of melting flesh to the bone without explicit warning. If they wanted to serve it that hot they could've at least included a "CAUTION: Don't spill or this shit will melt your flesh! It's that hot and good!" sticker on their cups

Yeah, the McDonald's example is becoming a legend that people do not anymore know the real story behind it. The sad thing about it is that the woman didn't even get compensated.


the thing that gets me about mcdonalds is the fact that i dont even know how they managed to get such "hot" coffee. I work at Tim Hortons and the hottest thing we serve is tea, which is boiling water but not enough to cause third degree burns. I've even spilt it all over my hands, yea it's hot but not that hot :S


I was getting kind of confused with that too. Until I realised the temperatures were being reported in fahrenheit. So Macdonald's coffee was served below boiling. I make drinks and soups hotter than that.
The key to the woman's injury was the type of fabric she was wearing.

I don't see how that can be termed "negligently hot". But I'm no lawyer so I won't comment.


You don't see how? This is how: When you serve your coffee between 40 and 50°F hotter than what's served in other restaurants and homes, you are serving negligently hot coffee.

Ave. Temp of restaurant coffee + home served coffee = ~130-140°F. Guess what McDonald's was? 180-190°F. Guess what boiling is? ~212°F.

Are you still sorta confused as to where the "negligent" bit fits into the puzzle? Hint: It's completely negligent to serve a customer something that can seriously injure them without ample warning. Like I said before: If they wanted to serve their coffee that hot, they should've explored the risks and made them explicit to the consumer. If the lady saw "CAUTION: SPILLS ON CLOTHING WILL INDUCE 3° BURNS" she probably wouldn't have decided to set it between her legs in a moving vehicle. And if she wanted to take that risk anyway, well, then it's her fault because of the clear warning. Finally, the personal anecdote "Oh but I make boiling drinks/soup all the time" is pretty trivial. So what. The keys to the woman's injury were clearly both the fact that her fabric absorbed the liquid, and the fact that the liquid itself was negligently hot. If you still want to argue, I'll just cut it short by saying McDonald's now serves warm coffee, instead of scalding coffee, thus implicating that they were in fact in the wrong from a health & safety perspective in their previous method of coffee making.


I see your point but still...
It seems that people aren't capable of thinking for themselves anymore. When I order a coffee I don't care if it's 190°F or 140°F. I know it's hot and should better watch out and definitely don't put it between my legs.
Same goes for the mother in this case.
Maybe we should banish people form our society because their stupidity could harm others and themselves?
And whats most tragic about this is she won the case.
when she realized the spread is about as healthy as your average Snickers bar, she decided it was time to get even -- and get cash.

Seriously.. People need to grow up

The fact that she put the coffee between her legs is irrelevant. What if it accidentally spilled on her instead? What matters is the temperature of the coffee. And your argument is that coffee is hot so it doesn't matter how hot it is, which is absurd, because it would imply that anyone could served 270°F coffee or higher, but not be negligent for any damages caused.

In most other countries the claim would fall under the category "common sense". The woman was the cause of the accident and since it was not the intent of McDonalds we are looking at negligence.
I do not know the specific standards on coffee and how to make it, but I remember something about the coffee getting more aroma out at a certain temperature-range.
I do not know the specific claims from the case so I cannot judge it on its merits, but to me a logical claim of better coffee at the higher temperature would seem like enough of a valid reason to accept it as an acceptable practice in the field and therefore not negligence.

It's common sense to expect that the coffee you are being served is about 140°F, not 270°F.
BillClinton
Profile Joined November 2009
232 Posts
April 28 2012 18:24 GMT
#451
On April 29 2012 03:21 BillClinton wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2012 08:38 rotinegg wrote:
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/today-food-finance-nutella-not-broccoli-162956191.html

So basically, Ferrero, the company that makes Nutella, got sued by some woman named Athena Hohenberg, because she was an idiot and thought Nutella would be HEALTHY for her children. Turns out, it's not (surprise surprise) and she filed a lawsuit claiming false advertising. She won the case, and Ferrero has to shell out $3.5 million, 2.5 of which will be spread out to claimants in a class action lawsuit.

I think this is retarded, and sometimes I really hate the people we live with. Thoughts?


Is the woman retarded because she abused the system or is the system retarded because it got abused by the woman?

Is the bank corrupt because it steals money from the system or is the system corrupted because it allows the bank to steal money?
Before you judge sth, keep in mind that the less you know about sth, the more that what you think or pretend to know about it, it says about yourself and your environment.
SKDN
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden243 Posts
April 28 2012 18:34 GMT
#452
Good that im one big sea away from america! also dont u learn about nutrition in school in US?

User was warned for this post
divito
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada1213 Posts
April 28 2012 18:39 GMT
#453
It's incredibly delicious, so no wonder that it's not exactly healthy.
Skype: divito7
screamingpalm
Profile Joined October 2011
United States1527 Posts
April 28 2012 18:39 GMT
#454
Headline on MSN today: "Kentucky woman swallows a screwdriver, sues her dentist" which makes it sound like some trivial, frivolous lawsuit.



LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A central Kentucky woman is suing a dentist, accusing him of dropping a small screwdriver down her throat that migrated to her digestive tract and later required surgery to remove.

In a suit filed in Fayette Circuit Court in Lexington, 71-year-old Lena David of Nicholasville said the screwdriver ended up in her digestive tract, where surgeons at St. Joseph Hospital later removed it.

David is asking for an undisclosed amount of damages from Dr. W.B. Galbreath of Lexington.

The file includes an X-ray, purported to be David's, which shows the silhouette of the screwdriver in her pelvic region.

David's attorney, Edwin H. Clark, declined to comment on the case. Galbraith did not immediately return a message left at his office Friday by The Associated Press.

The Lexington Herald-Leader first reported the lawsuit, which was filed Thursday.

David said she went to Galbreath on May 26, 2011 to have composite removed from six implant entrances on her lower denture and have the implant bar cleaned. Galbreath used an instrument described as a "screwdriver" in his treatment notes and lost control of the instrument during the procedure, David claims.

"Dr. Galbreath did not secure the screwdriver with dental floss or anything else during his treatment," Clark wrote in the lawsuit.


In a suit filed in Fayette Circuit Court in Lexington , 71-year-old Lena David says the screwdriver ended up in her digestive tract, where surgeons at St. Joseph Hospital later removed it.

Clark also noted that Galbreath did not place anything across David's mouth, such as a dental dam or oral barrier, to prevent David from swallowing an instrument. After Galbreath dropped the instrument, David "reflexively swallowed it," Clark wrote.

Galbreath suggested David use the restroom and try to "gag herself until she vomited" the screwdriver, a method that did not work, Clark wrote.

Galbreath then sent David to a nearby chiropractor to have x-rays done. Galbreath reviewed the x-rays and determined that the screwdriver had migrated to David's stomach, Clark wrote.

"Dr. Galbreath discharged Ms. David with an instruction to eat a diet high in fiber," Clark wrote.

David took the advice, but the screwdriver had become lodged in her digestive tract, Clark wrote.

David went to St. Joseph Hospital on June 23, 2011 after experiencing pain in her lower right quadrant and doctors performed surgery that day by manipulating the screwdriver into David's appendix and removing it, Clark wrote.

David spent six days in the hospital and "experienced a long and difficult recovery," Clark wrote.

The lawsuit accuses Galbreath of dental negligence and failing to provide the degree of "care and skill ordinarily expected of a reasonably competent dental practice acting under similar circumstances."



Source

Just say 'NO' to tort reform.
MMT University is coming! http://www.mmtuniversity.org/
Marti
Profile Joined August 2011
552 Posts
April 28 2012 18:41 GMT
#455
On April 28 2012 12:49 D10 wrote:
Lets sue politicians for false propaganda as well

There was no way to tell they werent going to do all the crap they promissed!


We won't. But we should.
#adun giveafuck - - - "Did this guy just randomly finger me?" - Sayle
heroyi
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1064 Posts
April 28 2012 18:42 GMT
#456
On April 29 2012 03:34 SKDN wrote:
Good that im one big sea away from america! also dont u learn about nutrition in school in US?

Kinda.
The system is mostly oh look a red apple is red. The apple fruit is a fruit. Here is your food pyramid. Carbohydrate and sugar and fat is spelled like this. Fat is bad grrr...etc

As you can see our education in such field is quite advanced. It is one of the more neglected...classes in the US education system...its really sad.
wat wat in my pants
dotHead
Profile Joined October 2010
United States233 Posts
April 28 2012 18:42 GMT
#457
On April 29 2012 03:34 SKDN wrote:
Good that im one big sea away from america! also dont u learn about nutrition in school in US?


I live in Philly, and my mother in law is a 6th grade science teacher. She brought in a few different kinds of vegetables and fruits for different experiments and the kids had no idea what they were. Some of the items were a Pineapple, a Coconut, Eggplant, and a few more.

It's scary what kids are eating these days.
Aint got time to bleed
Postaljester
Profile Joined December 2002
United States128 Posts
April 28 2012 18:42 GMT
#458
I am actually glad this happened. I have seen their commercials and they outright lie in them. Althought I feel bad for her children if she lacks the common sense to figure out nutella is candy
If you cant do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly
Rebornlife
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada224 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-28 18:43:44
April 28 2012 18:43 GMT
#459
This is what happens when you introduce way too many safety measures into society. The dumb ones survive when they probably shouldn't. It's called natural selection and it's not happening anymore
Happystreet
Profile Joined January 2011
550 Posts
April 28 2012 18:48 GMT
#460
On April 29 2012 02:54 Roe wrote:
Since congress made pizza a vegetable, can I sue the american congress?


Only one way to find out.
MKP | Jinro | Thorzain | Flash | Bomber | Amaz
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 213
ProTech122
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21096
Dewaltoss 139
Bale 36
ZergMaN 18
Noble 12
Icarus 5
Other Games
summit1g11924
JimRising 770
Sick158
Nina18
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick990
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 38
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2142
League of Legends
• Lourlo1218
• Rush935
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
4h 48m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
5h 48m
Monday Night Weeklies
10h 48m
Replay Cast
17h 48m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 4h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 5h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 18h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.