• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:00
CEST 21:00
KST 04:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9541 users

The Venus Project

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 15 16 17 Next All
AcirA
Profile Joined December 2011
7 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-20 14:33:23
April 20 2012 13:12 GMT
#1
Hello,
I made a quick search about TVP and didn't find anything. Anyways, i hope it'll be useful for some people.
There's a lot to discuss about it, so what i'll do is give links that i found interesting. I just want to share those ideas with people, and see what you guys think about it. Please try to understand what TVP really is about, and don't say "lol it's a buncha bull shit they just want to make money" or "OMG we will be controlled by machines omg matrix".
First of all their website : http://www.thevenusproject.com/


A little bit about Jacque Fresco (taken from Wikipedia) : Jacque Fresco (born March 13, 1916), is a self-educated structural designer, architectural designer, philosopher of science, concept artist, educator, and futurist. His interests span a wide range of disciplines including several in philosophy, science, Architecture and engineering.[4] Fresco writes and lectures extensively on his view of subjects ranging from the holistic design of sustainable cities, energy efficiency, natural resource management, cybernated technology, advanced automation, and the role of science in society, focusing on the benefits he thinks they may bring. With his colleague, Roxanne Meadows, he is the founder and director of an organization known as The Venus Project, located in Venus, Florida.[5] He currently promotes a fundamental change in anthropic organization through the global implementation of a novel socio-economic system predicated on social cooperation and scientific methodology, called a Resource-based Economy.


The video that I found very interesting (Future by design):


Jacque Fresco talking about words, thinking, creativity :


This is more about what made him think that way, and his life :


I'm pretty bad at presenting things, and for TVP there's a lot to talk about, that's why i prefer link you to videos and sites that made me think.
I tried to criticize TVP but I never find something incorrect in his talks and in his system.
If I did something wrong, would it be advertising or just like presenting wrong or I don't know what, please tell me.
With kind regards

EDIT : I watched and re-watched all the Zeitgeist, and I'm just gonna give you the links in case you wanna check it out.
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
Mon médaillon, touche mon .....
Shanedon
Profile Joined April 2010
United States147 Posts
April 20 2012 13:15 GMT
#2
Very interesting, I'll check these out when I get off work!
Gyar...
Zorkmid
Profile Joined November 2008
4410 Posts
April 20 2012 13:16 GMT
#3
This guy is featured in the doc called "Zeitgeist: Addendum" Google it, it's free.
Equity213
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada873 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-20 13:23:28
April 20 2012 13:18 GMT
#4
Im surprised there is no thread about this already.
Anyways, TVP is a moneyless socialistic technocracy (correct me if im wrong) and thats all I need to know to dismiss it right away. These ideas are so old. Its all that damn zeitgeist movies fault for reincarnating that nut Fresco and his total disdain for basic economics.

Your engaging in the most ambitious social project one could ever imagine. You would think a basic knowledge of the science of the allocation of earths resources (economics) would be prerequisite, but no. Its like someone who knows first aid attempting brain surgery. You might have good intentions but damn if it isnt gunna be messy.

Read a bit about the price mechanism and how it allocates resources, and tell me how a computer that doesnt even exist yet is going to solve that problem.
Dr.Lettuce
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United Kingdom663 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-20 13:22:08
April 20 2012 13:19 GMT
#5
I see this posted on my facebook quite a bit.

Jeesus christ, I truly hope people don't believe in this venus project.

This is the most unsustainable unrealistic economy I've ever seen. Look at the models they've created, how on earth is that a feasible way to live? It's incredibly inefficient. It absolutely cripples any sense of incentive to work above average or for personal reasons. I admire the idea of parts of a collectivized state, but this really isn't feasible.

Additionally, whilst the current system is under justified scrutiny, I find it laughable that anyone who believes in this system stumbles at this question. 'Can you tell me any problems under the venus project resource based economy that will occur?' Always draws a blank- because people that believe in this system do not understand economics. Period. I'm sorry to be that arrogant, but stuff like this pisses me off.

We should be spending more time/effort in to re-vamping the current system. Massive changes are needed, and focus and effort should be put there. Not theorycrafting pointless impossible economic models to follow.

Zeitgeist is just as stupid.

Come on people, tell me I'm a corporate blind puppet that listens to the mans propaganda. Yawn.
Zorkmid
Profile Joined November 2008
4410 Posts
April 20 2012 13:23 GMT
#6
Hey Lettuce, are you just going to ask the question "Can you tell me any problems under the venus project resource based economy that will occur?" and make fun of the guy for drawing a blank, while not answering the question yourself?

You're doing the same thing you just mocked.
gold_
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada312 Posts
April 20 2012 13:26 GMT
#7
On April 20 2012 22:19 Dr.Lettuce wrote:
I see this posted on my facebook quite a bit.

Jeesus christ, I truly hope people don't believe in this venus project.

This is the most unsustainable unrealistic economy I've ever seen. Look at the models they've created, how on earth is that a feasible way to live? It's incredibly inefficient. It absolutely cripples any sense of incentive to work above average or for personal reasons. I admire the idea of parts of a collectivized state, but this really isn't feasible.

Additionally, whilst the current system is under justified scrutiny, I find it laughable that anyone who believes in this system stumbles at this question. 'Can you tell me any problems under the venus project resource based economy that will occur?' Always draws a blank- because people that believe in this system do not understand economics. Period. I'm sorry to be that arrogant, but stuff like this pisses me off.

We should be spending more time/effort in to re-vamping the current system. Massive changes are needed, and focus and effort should be put there. Not theorycrafting pointless impossible economic models to follow.

Zeitgeist is just as stupid.

Come on people, tell me I'm a corporate blind puppet that listens to the mans propaganda. Yawn.

Your a corporate blind puppet that listens to the mans propaganda.
I am from Canada, eh!
Dr.Lettuce
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United Kingdom663 Posts
April 20 2012 13:26 GMT
#8
On April 20 2012 22:26 gold_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2012 22:19 Dr.Lettuce wrote:
I see this posted on my facebook quite a bit.

Jeesus christ, I truly hope people don't believe in this venus project.

This is the most unsustainable unrealistic economy I've ever seen. Look at the models they've created, how on earth is that a feasible way to live? It's incredibly inefficient. It absolutely cripples any sense of incentive to work above average or for personal reasons. I admire the idea of parts of a collectivized state, but this really isn't feasible.

Additionally, whilst the current system is under justified scrutiny, I find it laughable that anyone who believes in this system stumbles at this question. 'Can you tell me any problems under the venus project resource based economy that will occur?' Always draws a blank- because people that believe in this system do not understand economics. Period. I'm sorry to be that arrogant, but stuff like this pisses me off.

We should be spending more time/effort in to re-vamping the current system. Massive changes are needed, and focus and effort should be put there. Not theorycrafting pointless impossible economic models to follow.

Zeitgeist is just as stupid.

Come on people, tell me I'm a corporate blind puppet that listens to the mans propaganda. Yawn.

Your a corporate blind puppet that listens to the mans propaganda.


At least spell you're properly
gold_
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada312 Posts
April 20 2012 13:28 GMT
#9
On April 20 2012 22:26 Dr.Lettuce wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2012 22:26 gold_ wrote:
On April 20 2012 22:19 Dr.Lettuce wrote:
I see this posted on my facebook quite a bit.

Jeesus christ, I truly hope people don't believe in this venus project.

This is the most unsustainable unrealistic economy I've ever seen. Look at the models they've created, how on earth is that a feasible way to live? It's incredibly inefficient. It absolutely cripples any sense of incentive to work above average or for personal reasons. I admire the idea of parts of a collectivized state, but this really isn't feasible.

Additionally, whilst the current system is under justified scrutiny, I find it laughable that anyone who believes in this system stumbles at this question. 'Can you tell me any problems under the venus project resource based economy that will occur?' Always draws a blank- because people that believe in this system do not understand economics. Period. I'm sorry to be that arrogant, but stuff like this pisses me off.

We should be spending more time/effort in to re-vamping the current system. Massive changes are needed, and focus and effort should be put there. Not theorycrafting pointless impossible economic models to follow.

Zeitgeist is just as stupid.

Come on people, tell me I'm a corporate blind puppet that listens to the mans propaganda. Yawn.

Your a corporate blind puppet that listens to the mans propaganda.


At least spell you're properly

That is propaganda grammar, puppet.

User was warned for this post
I am from Canada, eh!
Equity213
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada873 Posts
April 20 2012 13:28 GMT
#10
I love how people who dont go for every new conspiracy thing that comes out are blind puppet sheeple listenin to the mans propaganda. Zeitgeisters dont even know who 'the man' is.
Dr.Lettuce
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United Kingdom663 Posts
April 20 2012 13:30 GMT
#11
On April 20 2012 22:23 Zorkmid wrote:
Hey Lettuce, are you just going to ask the question "Can you tell me any problems under the venus project resource based economy that will occur?" and make fun of the guy for drawing a blank, while not answering the question yourself?

You're doing the same thing you just mocked.


Actually I have a few my self. I have had endless facebook debates with my friends over this shit. I just really don't want to go in to detail, and be belittled by semantics. If you really want I'll pm you everything I've said.

However the big difference being, I'm not a supporter of the system. Which entirely changes my rational. People that believe in this system back it and never give any time for the criticisms. It's different for me as I don't believe in this system so I attack it.

I gather from the way you wrote that, that you are supporter of this system. Please tell me what you find wrong with it?
KvltMan
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Sweden1609 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-20 13:41:44
April 20 2012 13:36 GMT
#12
I fucking hate TvP. Most imbalanced shit ever.

On a serious note, I recommend the OP to read this guy's blog. He is very critical to the ideologies and thoughts presented by Jaques Fresco and those of the Zeitgeist movement.
http://muertos.blog.com/2010/10/23/seeing-like-a-state-why-zeitgeists-world-changing-visions-are-a-recipe-for-disaster/
Get crunk
Dekoth
Profile Joined March 2010
United States527 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-20 13:40:59
April 20 2012 13:40 GMT
#13
Extreme idealism doesn't work in the real world. /thread

Put into terms that people should be able to understand. You absolutely cannot abolish greed and laziness. These two unquestionable facts eliminate any possibility of something like this being possible. Nothing more needs to be said.
Zorkmid
Profile Joined November 2008
4410 Posts
April 20 2012 13:46 GMT
#14
On April 20 2012 22:30 Dr.Lettuce wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2012 22:23 Zorkmid wrote:
Hey Lettuce, are you just going to ask the question "Can you tell me any problems under the venus project resource based economy that will occur?" and make fun of the guy for drawing a blank, while not answering the question yourself?

You're doing the same thing you just mocked.


Actually I have a few my self. I have had endless facebook debates with my friends over this shit. I just really don't want to go in to detail, and be belittled by semantics. If you really want I'll pm you everything I've said.

However the big difference being, I'm not a supporter of the system. Which entirely changes my rational. People that believe in this system back it and never give any time for the criticisms. It's different for me as I don't believe in this system so I attack it.

I gather from the way you wrote that, that you are supporter of this system. Please tell me what you find wrong with it?


I'm not a supporter of the system, nor do I have any arguments or opinions one way or the other on the subject. I just hate reading posts that say: "THIS IS STOOPID !!1ONE!!" and have basically nothing else to say.

It's great that you've had facebook arguments with your buds, but why post in this thread to say nothing about the subject except that it is stupid because of ___________.

Also, not interested in a PM.
niteReloaded
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Croatia5282 Posts
April 20 2012 13:53 GMT
#15
Lettuce, I don't get how you chose your criteria for dismissing people. You ask them what's wrong with the system, and if they don't answer, you label them as dumb or w/e?

Why don't you pull out the aces out of the sleeve, and ask "how are you going to solve this this and this?"

It's like I say to you, I have a car that's better than yours in areas A, B and C. And then you come in "Tell me one thing that's wrong with it?". I stay silent, and you happily conclude that your car is better ? Seems logical...
Dr.Lettuce
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United Kingdom663 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-20 14:15:29
April 20 2012 14:09 GMT
#16
On April 20 2012 22:53 niteReloaded wrote:
Lettuce, I don't get how you chose your criteria for dismissing people. You ask them what's wrong with the system, and if they don't answer, you label them as dumb or w/e?

Why don't you pull out the aces out of the sleeve, and ask "how are you going to solve this this and this?"

It's like I say to you, I have a car that's better than yours in areas A, B and C. And then you come in "Tell me one thing that's wrong with it?". I stay silent, and you happily conclude that your car is better ? Seems logical...


Horrendous analogy.

Never mind.

First off problems with the current system- corruption, abuse of power blah blah blah. There is absolutely no rhetoric control to stop the prevalent world problems occurring in this new system. Who is to stop the creators and more powerful individuals behind this project becoming corrupt assholes?

Humans are self-interested. I would argue it's a human ingrained trait. TvP relies on the fact that people will not compete with each other. That makes no sense at all. Coupled with the fact there is no basic monetary system, self incentives are now non-existent. Why would you work hard? Why would you go the extra mile, why innovate? Why be different if it leads to nothing. So much research and progress will slow down, not to a halt but to seriously below modern age levels.

Now you could argue that people will do things for the good of other people and developing society as a whole.
Admirable? Very. Realistic? Not a chance.


These are the basis of the main problems with this system. I could go on and on and on, literally.

-Open to corruption. Does not fix upon old model. Still controlled by much more powerful individuals.

- No replacement incentive to the current monetary system.

2 underlying huge problems.


Zorkmid
Profile Joined November 2008
4410 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-20 14:20:07
April 20 2012 14:19 GMT
#17
On April 20 2012 23:09 Dr.Lettuce wrote:

First off problems with the current system- corruption, abuse of power blah blah blah. There is absolutely no rhetoric control to stop the prevalent world problems occurring in this new system. Who is to stop the creators and more powerful individuals behind this project becoming corrupt assholes?



I think the idea is that there's less need to become corrupt, because everyone should have access to everything.



Humans are self-interested. I would argue it's a human ingrained trait. TvP relies on the fact that people will not compete with each other. That makes no sense at all. Coupled with the fact there is no basic monetary system, self incentives are now non-existent. Why would you work hard? Why would you go the extra mile, why innovate? Why be different if it leads to nothing. So much research and progress will slow down, not to a halt but to seriously below modern age levels.


I'd imagine this is the main counter-argument to the resource-based economy. There are tons and tons of people that work hard JUST to make money and gain power. There are still scientists out there today that do what they do for the thrill of exploration and gaining knowledge. I don't think you'd see a giant slow down in R&D progression.

There are people today that aren't "in the race" and don't want to be. There will always be people like this to be sure, but I don't think that it's the majority of us.
Alex1Sun
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
494 Posts
April 20 2012 14:35 GMT
#18
It would be quite nice to have this kind of life on our planet... Maybe in a thousand years... If we get really lucky and evolve our society, economy and infrastructure in a timely manner
This is not Warcraft in space!
AcirA
Profile Joined December 2011
7 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-20 14:51:19
April 20 2012 14:47 GMT
#19
@ KvltMan thanks, i'll go and check it out.
@ Dekoth you didn't listen to Jacque at all. What can prove you that laziness and greed cannot be abolished ? How can you affirm that ?
@Dr.Lettuce you have to understand that if the environment changes, the people's mind changes too. That means that it is hard to predict "we will be like this or like that" "people won't do anything". You can't say that because we never explored that environment. What says Zorkmid is true : there are still scientists out there today that do what they do for the thrill of exploration and gaining knowledge.

Seriously, check out those videos because they're very interesting and I think that they answer to a lot of questions.
And Jacque doesn't take about an utopia or whatever "ideology". He just says that it is a much better system that what we're currently living in. Period.
Mon médaillon, touche mon .....
nanaoei
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
3358 Posts
April 20 2012 14:50 GMT
#20
not to derail by any measure, as i know barely anything on this project, but i just found it funny that he has a resume on the homepage, and it is -huge-

http://thevenusproject.com/en/jacque-fresco/resume
*@boesthius' FF7 nostalgia stream bomb* "we should work on a 'Final Progamer' fangame»whitera can be a protagonist---lastlie: "we save world and then defense it"
1 2 3 4 5 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 706
UpATreeSC 120
JuggernautJason31
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 18587
firebathero 186
Rush 131
Dewaltoss 100
Sexy 25
Shine 23
Bale 13
yabsab 10
Djem5 2
Dota 2
Gorgc8170
qojqva1404
monkeys_forever106
Counter-Strike
fl0m1534
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1876
crisheroes1130
Liquid`Hasu709
XaKoH 163
MindelVK14
Other Games
Grubby3068
summit1g2709
FrodaN765
Beastyqt719
ceh9567
ArmadaUGS198
byalli197
C9.Mang0165
KnowMe160
Hui .145
shahzam95
Mew2King65
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV172
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream83
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 14
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis1580
League of Legends
• TFBlade1151
Other Games
• imaqtpie885
• WagamamaTV238
• Shiphtur205
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h
Stellar Fest
18h
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.