• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:13
CEST 16:13
KST 23:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8721 users

Ask and answer stupid questions here! - Page 772

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 770 771 772 773 774 783 Next
Sent.
Profile Joined June 2012
Poland9331 Posts
January 13 2021 15:12 GMT
#15421
Is it true that some people can't visualize objects (e.g. apples) in their heads when they close their eyes? I don't mean not knowing how apples look like, I mean being unable to create an image of a random apple in your head.
You're now breathing manually
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-01-13 15:15:38
January 13 2021 15:14 GMT
#15422
Indeed, 'twas long ago discussed on these very boards :D

https://tl.net/blogs/395244-can-you-picture-it

I believe it's known as aphantasia
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
maybenexttime
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Poland5872 Posts
January 13 2021 15:19 GMT
#15423
As far as I know, it's a spectrum. On one end you have people who can't form images in their head and on the other people who can do that with photographic precision. Most people fall somewhere in-between.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44355 Posts
January 13 2021 15:24 GMT
#15424
Same with recognizing people. There are people who can identify someone they saw once years ago in a grainy low resolution video and people who can’t recognize friends.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12019 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-01-13 15:27:47
January 13 2021 15:27 GMT
#15425
What about not being able to describe people?

I can generally form images of stuff in my head. Yet with people, i kind of know how they look, and i can definitively recognize my friends and so forth. But the second someone is out of my line of sight, i can absolutely not describe them. I have a hard time accurately describing the hair colour of my friends, not even talking about stuff like hair style, facial features or clothes they are currently wearing.

I would be the worst witness in a murder case. "There was a person. Wearing clothes. Probably had hair on their head."
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44355 Posts
January 13 2021 15:43 GMT
#15426
Probably also a spectrum but I have similar issues. We also don’t have great language for facial features I think and a lot of thinking is built on the framework of language. It’s hard to conceive things without words to anchor them.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Sent.
Profile Joined June 2012
Poland9331 Posts
January 13 2021 16:03 GMT
#15427
With people I think it's harder because you know how people look like in general, but you don't need to know the details that make the face of a specific person look like it does. This makes it hard to communicate your memory of their face to another person.

I mean it's like knowing that x + y + z = 20. If you see those 3 next to each other you'll remember that their sum equals 20, but you still don't know how to precisely describe x, y and z because you've never seen them in a different configuration.
You're now breathing manually
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
January 13 2021 17:41 GMT
#15428
Huh, I never knew there were people who cannot form images in their heads. I can form and rotate 3d shapes, imagine them internally and externally and combine with with other 3D volumes. I can recall sound, taste and feel too. It's unimaginable for me not to be able to imagine mere images.

I have difficulty describing faces though though I can recall and draw a reasonable picture of a face I have seen. In that case, it is probably due to language and vocabulary than visualisation. I think that is "normal" though. Afterall, how often in life do you need to describe a face? Whilst nearly everything you do when interacting with the world around you requires visualisation.
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28904 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-01-13 17:55:49
January 13 2021 17:54 GMT
#15429
I'm really bad at visualizing items and things. I generally cant remember the color of things unless ive specifically told myself what the color of said thing is - this can include not knowing the color of a house ive lived in for the past two years. However I think my memory (and 'way of thinking') for words, names and numbers is strengthened comparably. (For example I've worked as a substitute teacher on many occasions and normally I know and remember the name of every pupil after a five minute introduction, or remembering long quotes, or remembering phone numbers that are just mentioned once. )

My dad is much the same, and we have both always had a way with words, while at the same time being 'artistically challenged'. At least for me though, it is a spectrum thing, not complete inability.
Moderator
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-01-13 18:15:59
January 13 2021 18:10 GMT
#15430
On January 14 2021 02:54 Liquid`Drone wrote:
I'm really bad at visualizing items and things. I generally cant remember the color of things unless ive specifically told myself what the color of said thing is - this can include not knowing the color of a house ive lived in for the past two years. However I think my memory (and 'way of thinking') for words, names and numbers is strengthened comparably. (For example I've worked as a substitute teacher on many occasions and normally I know and remember the name of every pupil after a five minute introduction, or remembering long quotes, or remembering phone numbers that are just mentioned once. )

My dad is much the same, and we have both always had a way with words, while at the same time being 'artistically challenged'. At least for me though, it is a spectrum thing, not complete inability.

This kind of interactional associative memory runs strongly on my dad's side of the family as well.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28904 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-01-13 18:33:15
January 13 2021 18:31 GMT
#15431
Also, while my ability to visualize items and things is very weak (I definitely can't do what DMCD describes, visualizing 3d shapes, imagining them internally and externally and combining with other 3d volumes sounds impossible to me. I can visualize an apple just fine, but rotating it around, imagining a hollow 3d shape of an apple and combining that with a hollow 3d shape of cucumber or whatever, that sounds difficult.), it feels like I have some innate ability to visualize words, for example the amount of letters in said words.

In the sentence 'for example the amount of letters in said words, I immediately, without thinking or counting, know that it is, in order, 3 7 3 6 2 7 2 4 5, and this works fairly flawlessly up until ~15 letter words or so. When I was a child and I watched subtitled shows, I would normally play a game with myself where I tried to calculate combinations of numbers that added up to either 5 or 10 or 15 etc, and then I'd give 5 points for each such combination, and then I'd see whether the total number was greater or smaller than the total combination of words possible. If it was greater, I would be 'satisfied'. Looking at the aforementioned sequence of words (3 7 3 6 2 7 2 4 5 would give me: 5 for 3+7, 5 for 3+7+5, 5 for 7+3, 5 for 5, 5 for 3+7+3+6+2+7+2, 5 for 3+6+2+7+2, 5 for 5+3+7+3+6+2+7+2, 5 for 2+7+2+4+5+3+7, 5 for 2+4+5+3+7+3+6, 5 for 4+5+3+7+3+6+2. Maybe I'm missing something, it's been a long time since I did this. :D But anyway this would have given me a total of 50 points, but a word sequence of 9 words gives me 73 different possible combinations (9x8+1), so the sentence 'for example the amount of letters in said words' ends up being a sentence that does not satisfy me.

I mean I wouldn't be able to finish this sequence in time if the subtitles was 9 words long, but if it was only ~6 or so, I normally would

Reading this, I guess there's another spectrum I'm part of, too?
Moderator
Dan HH
Profile Joined July 2012
Romania9246 Posts
January 13 2021 20:06 GMT
#15432
On January 14 2021 00:43 KwarK wrote:
Probably also a spectrum but I have similar issues. We also don’t have great language for facial features I think and a lot of thinking is built on the framework of language. It’s hard to conceive things without words to anchor them.

You know when you have part of a song that you haven't heard in years stuck in your head and when you finally listen to the actual song again that part doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it did in your distorted memory of it?

That's how I feel about language most of the time, like what I say and write is just a disappointing approximation of what I wanted to convey.
Uldridge
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium5231 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-01-13 20:23:07
January 13 2021 20:22 GMT
#15433
Yeah there are these "amount queues" humans have which works fairly well up untill 5 or 6 but then becomes unreliable. IMO it's probably is an ancient social mechanism.

It's apparently called subitizing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subitizing

Edit: and apparently up until 4 it's kind of perfect, but then becomes rapidly more difficult.
Taxes are for Terrans
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28904 Posts
January 13 2021 20:42 GMT
#15434
On January 14 2021 05:22 Uldridge wrote:
Yeah there are these "amount queues" humans have which works fairly well up untill 5 or 6 but then becomes unreliable. IMO it's probably is an ancient social mechanism.

It's apparently called subitizing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subitizing

Edit: and apparently up until 4 it's kind of perfect, but then becomes rapidly more difficult.


Interesting! But I'm basically saying that for me, and specifically regarding the amount of letters in a word, it's highly reliable until I get to somewhere in the 10-15 range. I don't think I'm 'counting really fast' either.
Moderator
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44355 Posts
January 13 2021 20:46 GMT
#15435
On January 14 2021 05:42 Liquid`Drone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2021 05:22 Uldridge wrote:
Yeah there are these "amount queues" humans have which works fairly well up untill 5 or 6 but then becomes unreliable. IMO it's probably is an ancient social mechanism.

It's apparently called subitizing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subitizing

Edit: and apparently up until 4 it's kind of perfect, but then becomes rapidly more difficult.


Interesting! But I'm basically saying that for me, and specifically regarding the amount of letters in a word, it's highly reliable until I get to somewhere in the 10-15 range. I don't think I'm 'counting really fast' either.

My understanding is the brain doesn’t see 12, it sees 4 3 times.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10006 Posts
January 13 2021 20:48 GMT
#15436
I used to be able to remember fairly long sequences of numbers (like 12-13 2 digit numbers) by imagining them as a long phone number and tracing out the pattern on an imaginary phone in my mind, but my ability to visualise and manipulate geometry and stuff is extremely limited.
RIP Meatloaf <3
Uldridge
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium5231 Posts
January 13 2021 20:55 GMT
#15437
On January 14 2021 05:42 Liquid`Drone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2021 05:22 Uldridge wrote:
Yeah there are these "amount queues" humans have which works fairly well up untill 5 or 6 but then becomes unreliable. IMO it's probably is an ancient social mechanism.

It's apparently called subitizing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subitizing

Edit: and apparently up until 4 it's kind of perfect, but then becomes rapidly more difficult.


Interesting! But I'm basically saying that for me, and specifically regarding the amount of letters in a word, it's highly reliable until I get to somewhere in the 10-15 range. I don't think I'm 'counting really fast' either.


You could have trained it a a child, with your subtitles game, or like KwarK said.
Taxes are for Terrans
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-01-14 00:19:00
January 13 2021 23:17 GMT
#15438
On January 14 2021 03:31 Liquid`Drone wrote:
Also, while my ability to visualize items and things is very weak (I definitely can't do what DMCD describes, visualizing 3d shapes, imagining them internally and externally and combining with other 3d volumes sounds impossible to me. I can visualize an apple just fine, but rotating it around, imagining a hollow 3d shape of an apple and combining that with a hollow 3d shape of cucumber or whatever, that sounds difficult.), it feels like I have some innate ability to visualize words, for example the amount of letters in said words.
Not quite 3d hollow shape, but the full cross-sectional volume, skin, flesh, pips, the space between the pips and all. The colour and blemishes of the skin, the texture and hardness of every part of that apple. I can imagine it being cut, in half, in slices or anything in between. Obviously I can imagine it hollow, like imagining a football. And when I say combining, I mean more than one shape/volume that can be interacting in 3d space like the pistons in a combustion engine or interlocking links in a chain, or say an apple being shook, bouncing in a pint glass. I don't mean the apple is now shaped like a cucumber, though I can do that, but that's more of imagining an entirely new fruit that happens to be shaped like a cucumber.

I don't "see" why you can't just imagine a rotating apple. Surely you held an apple in your hands and rotated it at some point in your life? Surely you know the 3d shape of an apple, despite only ever seeing half of it's surface at once? Though at this point this conversation sounds like 2 blind people describing colour to each other.
Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7421 Posts
January 14 2021 09:47 GMT
#15439
On January 14 2021 00:14 farvacola wrote:
Indeed, 'twas long ago discussed on these very boards :D

https://tl.net/blogs/395244-can-you-picture-it

I believe it's known as aphantasia


Amazing what you can find on TL.net.
The describing of faces has probably something to do with the ability to draw I imagine. I can see a clear face in my mind but I could never get it on paper.

I never would have thought that not all people have the ability to imagine shapes and forms and not turn/ mirror them in their minds. I thought some do it better and some worse but not at all? Crazy
Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
Zambrah
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States7393 Posts
January 14 2021 10:10 GMT
#15440
Anyone who draws or makes anything at any level of real quality will rely on reference to do so, it would take someone with an eidetic memory to not have to use reference, even people who've been doing art for decades will know not to trust their brain's interpretation of what they're trying to do and keep reference on hand, and to generally always have it nearby and be looking at it to make sure its holding up as necessary.

One thing I learned from a single cognitive neuroscience course I took back in like... 2014, was about stuff like prosopagnosia, which is the condition of not being able to recognize the faces of familiar people. We basically spent the class talking about the way the brain processes visual information and what parts of the brain are screwing up to cause forms of agnosia, like testing the visual processing centers of the brain that are responsible for really basic stuff like interpreting shape and color, if I remember V1 - V5 were the visual processing steps, with each area responsible for a more specific form of visual interpretation.

And then theres the the fact that human faces are an incredibly important part of human interaction, back then we talked about the Fusiform Face Area as a potential area of the brain responsible nearly exclusively for interpreting the human face. That was a neat thing, because think about it, you can look at ten goats and more or less think they all look alike, can't differentiate any sexual dimorphism easily, etc. but you look at ten humans and you can pick out a ton of characteristics apart. It also explains why theres not really a harsh uncanny valley for non-human stuff. Being able to strongly interpret those minute differences in someone's face can be hugely important to the social interactions human beings have evolved to benefit so strongly from. Very neat potential stuff to think about.

The professor also told us that neuroscience was new and changing all the time and in a decade everything we learned could be debunked as crap though, lol. I wish I kept up with it to know whether or not all the stuff I learned held up at all.
Incremental change is the Democrat version of Trickle Down economics.
Prev 1 770 771 772 773 774 783 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 47m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech122
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5535
Bisu 2940
Jaedong 1015
Soulkey 837
Horang2 591
EffOrt 543
Mini 393
actioN 348
Larva 305
ZerO 231
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 229
Mind 93
Pusan 87
hero 80
Sea.KH 79
Shinee 71
Sharp 70
Snow 64
Dewaltoss 60
Hyun 60
Barracks 49
Bale 48
sorry 47
ToSsGirL 37
Sacsri 20
scan(afreeca) 17
Trap 17
NaDa 14
Rock 13
zelot 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Noble 9
Terrorterran 9
Icarus 7
Dota 2
Gorgc4893
qojqva2357
Dendi1025
Counter-Strike
Fnx 515
Other Games
olofmeister1380
hiko939
B2W.Neo744
Lowko337
crisheroes300
DeMusliM286
Pyrionflax205
XBOCT204
Hui .180
Livibee168
Liquid`VortiX143
QueenE85
Mew2King53
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
StarCraft 2
IntoTheiNu 1254
WardiTV806
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 46
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 21
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV656
League of Legends
• Nemesis2293
• Jankos2128
• TFBlade706
Other Games
• Shiphtur108
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
9h 47m
Patches Events
1d 1h
The PondCast
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 20h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.