• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:28
CEST 07:28
KST 14:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20262Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9158 users

Ask and answer stupid questions here! - Page 721

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 719 720 721 722 723 783 Next
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
March 30 2019 13:56 GMT
#14401
--- Nuked ---
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18455 Posts
March 30 2019 22:42 GMT
#14402
On March 30 2019 22:56 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2019 09:16 Uldridge wrote:
Shit, I didn't think about the spatial organization and the "length" of a side of a square of squared items.
But what about numbers that aren't perfect squares? I know how to divide 42 by 7; I don't know how what the square root of 42 is, other than it being somewhere between 6 and 7.

@JimmiC
Roadrunner, definitely, because he doesn't have a huge hat on. Now, if Speedy would only want to lose his hat, we'd be in for a really interesting race!



This seems like good logic unless Speedy's hat provides him with the speed, something like Sampson's hair

Roadrunner also keeps stopping to make fun of wile e coyote.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46502 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-03-30 22:51:29
March 30 2019 22:50 GMT
#14403
On March 30 2019 09:11 JimmiC wrote:
Who would win in a race speedy gonzales or the roadrunner?


Sprints = Speedy
Distance = Road Runner

Edit: Reading all those great explanations for square roots made me happy
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
riotjune
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States3394 Posts
March 30 2019 23:58 GMT
#14404
I rewatched "The Wild Chase" and they looked about even. Watching Wiley Coyote and Sylvester continually fail never gets old
AbouSV
Profile Joined October 2014
Germany1278 Posts
April 05 2019 19:49 GMT
#14405
On March 30 2019 11:34 Atreides wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2019 09:16 Uldridge wrote:
Shit, I didn't think about the spatial organization and the "length" of a side of a square of squared items.
But what about numbers that aren't perfect squares? I know how to divide 42 by 7; I don't know how what the square root of 42 is, other than it being somewhere between 6 and 7.

@JimmiC
Roadrunner, definitely, because he doesn't have a huge hat on. Now, if Speedy would only want to lose his hat, we'd be in for a really interesting race!



ya in general the nth root of x is just equal to y such that y^n=x. As long as you are conceptually ok with 'exponentiation' its not fundamentally any different. The fact that it is somewhat difficult to calculate is kind of irrelevant. Division is much more difficult to calculate than addition/subtraction as well. In your example you happen to pick an example for division thats an even integer. Its equally irrelevant to say 'i know how to take the sqrt of 49 it is 7, I don't know exactly what the 49 divided by 11 is except its roughly between 4 and 5... Or you say it is 4 and 5/11. and strictly speaking someone else might break down 42 similarly to its 'smallest parts' and say the sqrt(42)=sqrt(2)*sqrt(3)*sqrt(7). Visually this is finding squares of various sizes that span the diagonal of your original sqare corner to corner.


One way to define exponent for any non-negative real number is to say:
a^b = exp(b*ln(a))
because:
a^b = exp(ln(a^b)) = exp(b*ln(a))

This requires you to properly define exponential and ln functions though, but still.
Fecalfeast
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada11355 Posts
April 05 2019 20:27 GMT
#14406
For those of you who have a 4+ year college degree and also have a day-to-day job in the same field as your degree: Do you feel like you use aspects from the entire scope of what you learned in school? If there was a degree that was specifically geared toward learning how to do your current job only, how much less time do you think your degree have taken to earn? Do you think someone who took this hypothetical niche course would be just as capable of doing your job with the same aptitude as someone with the full, general degree?
ModeratorINFLATE YOUR POST COUNT; PLAY TL MAFIA
pheer
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
5403 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-05 20:53:35
April 05 2019 20:52 GMT
#14407
I have a 4-year BS degree in the USA and work directly in my field of study. College is a joke, it's a big "who can follow the rules and show up on time" test. If you got a (lesser) but related job in the field, while learning on your own from online curriculum and using the same books as the college uses, or even better supplementing your learning with other materials, you will have more practical knowledge than anyone coming out of college. The only thing you won't have is that degree, which arguably 4 years of actual experience can override. And it's only getting worse year after year (in terms of usefulness).

edit: I do suggest living in a college town though, and going to college parties, so you don't feel like you missed all that.
Moderator
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
April 05 2019 22:21 GMT
#14408
--- Nuked ---
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44367 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-05 22:29:47
April 05 2019 22:25 GMT
#14409
Accounting theory is important to know, but it wouldn’t take 4 years to teach it. It’s mostly gate keeping and demonstrating the ability to meet the minimum colleges require of you. I could teach bookkeeping in an evening.

My Masters was geared as an intro to CPA course but the profession is much larger than can be taught from the outside and the education at college was very time inefficient. There wasn’t much that wasn’t relevant, but there was a lot of time spent over explaining practical stuff that was easily derived from the theory.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
AbouSV
Profile Joined October 2014
Germany1278 Posts
April 06 2019 08:33 GMT
#14410
Given the previous answers, I guess it also depends on which continent you live.
Zambrah
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States7393 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-07 07:20:48
April 07 2019 07:02 GMT
#14411
Is "who is this?" and "this is a dog/elephant/etc." grammatically correct in British english because this person insists it's correct and I'm curious if my American school system upbringing has given me diarrhea of the grammar, because it sounds wrong.

Normally I'd think to say, "what is this?" "This is a dog/frog/what the fuck ever" for something I'm not referring to with some degree of personhood, I guess? Or intimacy or whatever.

Same question for "Make a dialogue," because normally I'd say "Have a dialogue."
Incremental change is the Democrat version of Trickle Down economics.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18455 Posts
April 07 2019 08:27 GMT
#14412
On April 07 2019 16:02 Zambrah wrote:
Is "who is this?" and "this is a dog/elephant/etc." grammatically correct in British english because this person insists it's correct and I'm curious if my American school system upbringing has given me diarrhea of the grammar, because it sounds wrong.

Normally I'd think to say, "what is this?" "This is a dog/frog/what the fuck ever" for something I'm not referring to with some degree of personhood, I guess? Or intimacy or whatever.

Same question for "Make a dialogue," because normally I'd say "Have a dialogue."

"Who is this?" is fine, both grammatically and as a question. But it does refer to something with a name. The answer isn't "this is a dog", it's "oh, I'm Acrofales", or sometimes "meet Barkofales, our new dog."
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46502 Posts
April 07 2019 09:18 GMT
#14413
On April 07 2019 16:02 Zambrah wrote:
Is "who is this?" and "this is a dog/elephant/etc." grammatically correct in British english because this person insists it's correct and I'm curious if my American school system upbringing has given me diarrhea of the grammar, because it sounds wrong.

Normally I'd think to say, "what is this?" "This is a dog/frog/what the fuck ever" for something I'm not referring to with some degree of personhood, I guess? Or intimacy or whatever.

Same question for "Make a dialogue," because normally I'd say "Have a dialogue."


Afaik, using who vs. what for animals is largely subjective, with a conventional line drawn at "whether or not you have a personal relationship with the animal". That's possibly because we tend to anthropomorphize our pets, but also grammar "rules" tend to be more fluid than we realize.

Source: I read a bunch of articles online, and asked two good friends (English/ grammar teachers) and my wife (veterinarian, also a good friend I suppose).
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12023 Posts
April 07 2019 09:26 GMT
#14414
Also, the classic telephone dialog:

"Who is this?"
"This is dog!"

As seen in many memes.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46502 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-07 09:37:30
April 07 2019 09:33 GMT
#14415
On April 06 2019 05:27 Fecalfeast wrote:
For those of you who have a 4+ year college degree and also have a day-to-day job in the same field as your degree: Do you feel like you use aspects from the entire scope of what you learned in school? If there was a degree that was specifically geared toward learning how to do your current job only, how much less time do you think your degree have taken to earn? Do you think someone who took this hypothetical niche course would be just as capable of doing your job with the same aptitude as someone with the full, general degree?


I majored in math, where I learned a ton of higher-level maths that only minorly assist me in my daily job as a high school math teacher. From an educational perspective, I can appreciate just how advanced the maths become and how algebra can lay the ground work for calculus, which can lay the groundwork for additional branches of graduate-level mathematics, but I don't think that 90% of the high-level math I learned is really informing how I teach my high school math students.

That being said, most college majors aren't geared towards one specific job prospect, but rather to provide you with options for professions that require various subsets of that knowledge, and to provide you with enough of a framework so that you can continue to pursue graduate level studies in that major if you wish.

When I took my Praxis assessment to become certified to teach all grades K-12, the fact that I had been tutoring K-12 math every week for many years was much, much, much more valuable to me than what I had learned as a math major, because the weekly content was exactly what I was being assessed on, and exactly what I teach now.

I appreciate my college degrees, but they're mostly useful for getting that first job after college... after you've started working in that field and have real professional experience, the degree - and especially the major - become less and less important on your resume for the second, third, and later jobs.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
oBlade
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States6551 Posts
April 07 2019 09:46 GMT
#14416
Is ice cream excreted as feces or urine?
"I read it. You know how to read, you ignorant fuck?" - Andy Dufresne
Zambrah
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States7393 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-07 10:25:56
April 07 2019 09:58 GMT
#14417
So "what is this" isn't wrong? My coworker keeps telling me about the "only correct way" and to be honest Im starting to be unable to tell what is and isn't proper English anymore.

Also, for context, were teaching children English, so one of the things we do is show a flash card ask what it is and wait for them to answer, so I don't want to get into a fight with the other teacher, but she has an "I'm always right and zis is ze only way to speak english," mentality, so I'm curious if in a scenario where you have a flash cards depicting an elephant, is it appropriate to go, "what it is this?" "This is an elephant." And, I mean, one doesn't assume familaiarity with flash cards right?

Also whether one has a dialogue or makes a dialogue.
Incremental change is the Democrat version of Trickle Down economics.
buhhy
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1113 Posts
April 07 2019 10:17 GMT
#14418
On April 06 2019 05:27 Fecalfeast wrote:
For those of you who have a 4+ year college degree and also have a day-to-day job in the same field as your degree: Do you feel like you use aspects from the entire scope of what you learned in school? If there was a degree that was specifically geared toward learning how to do your current job only, how much less time do you think your degree have taken to earn? Do you think someone who took this hypothetical niche course would be just as capable of doing your job with the same aptitude as someone with the full, general degree?


Depends on the degree. I have a software eng degree and work in tech. While there is no substitute for experience, you can also usually tell who is a self-learned/bootcamp coder vs a graduate. Most of the course material is not relevant in the real world, but the thought processes and design patterns are very applicable and it's up to the individual to extract that knowledge from the fluff.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46502 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-07 12:13:30
April 07 2019 12:11 GMT
#14419
On April 07 2019 18:58 Zambrah wrote:
So "what is this" isn't wrong? My coworker keeps telling me about the "only correct way" and to be honest Im starting to be unable to tell what is and isn't proper English anymore.

Also, for context, were teaching children English, so one of the things we do is show a flash card ask what it is and wait for them to answer, so I don't want to get into a fight with the other teacher, but she has an "I'm always right and zis is ze only way to speak english," mentality, so I'm curious if in a scenario where you have a flash cards depicting an elephant, is it appropriate to go, "what it is this?" "This is an elephant." And, I mean, one doesn't assume familaiarity with flash cards right?

Also whether one has a dialogue or makes a dialogue.


I think it's highly relative and situational.

For me: If I'm teaching a small child about recognizing animals, I might point to a cartoon picture of a dog and ask the child "What is that?" and they'll hopefully respond with "That's a dog!" That's more in line with your specific example.

However, if my friend sees a picture of my dog with me (or if a friend sees me actually walking my dog, in person), they're more likely to ask "Awww, who is that?" to which I'll respond either with "That's my dog, Nike!" or "He's my dog, Nike!" In that case, it's already implicitly obvious that they know *what* a dog is, so they're more interested in understanding *who* this specific dog is.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18455 Posts
April 07 2019 12:32 GMT
#14420
On April 07 2019 18:58 Zambrah wrote:
So "what is this" isn't wrong? My coworker keeps telling me about the "only correct way" and to be honest Im starting to be unable to tell what is and isn't proper English anymore.

Also, for context, were teaching children English, so one of the things we do is show a flash card ask what it is and wait for them to answer, so I don't want to get into a fight with the other teacher, but she has an "I'm always right and zis is ze only way to speak english," mentality, so I'm curious if in a scenario where you have a flash cards depicting an elephant, is it appropriate to go, "what it is this?" "This is an elephant." And, I mean, one doesn't assume familaiarity with flash cards right?

Also whether one has a dialogue or makes a dialogue.

I agree with DPB. Flash cards are pretty undoubtedly "what is this", as the intention is to learn vocabulary (in most cases). Ask your colleague what she'd do if instead of animals they had inanimate objects on them. And if she just generally objects to the word "what", ask her who she'd do if they had inanimate objects on them

As for the other question, while I have never actually heard of anybody "making dialogue", my guess is that you could use it in the same way as "making conversation" or "making small talk". Dialogue is a bit weird, in that thinking about it, I don't really "have dialogues" either. Mostly I would have a discussion or a conversation. Having a dialogue is correct, but seems like weird use-of-language to me. Less weird than "making dialogue" though.

@simberto: I would definitely not trust the "I can has cheezburger!" corner of the internet for grammar advice.

Prev 1 719 720 721 722 723 783 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech137
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 4521
Rain 1805
GuemChi 577
FanTaSy 347
sSak 50
Bale 39
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm204
Fuzer 32
League of Legends
JimRising 655
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1178
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King296
Other Games
summit1g8058
WinterStarcraft599
C9.Mang0152
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick915
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream59
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki21
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2147
League of Legends
• Lourlo1192
• Rush922
• Stunt454
Other Games
• Shiphtur826
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
4h 32m
INu's Battles
5h 32m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
7h 32m
OSC
16h 47m
Replay Cast
17h 32m
OSC
1d 17h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.