• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:36
CEST 18:36
KST 01:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8294 users

Sperm donation and anonymity

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
bonifaceviii
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2890 Posts
May 20 2011 18:02 GMT
#1
First, the article:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2011/05/sperm-donation-ruling-should-the-identity-of-sperm-donors-be-protected.html

The B.C. Supreme Court has struck down provincial legislation that protected the identity of sperm donors. The court also prohibited the future destruction of any records and ordered the province to draw up new legislation in line with the Charter of Rights.

Lawyers for Olivia Pratten had argued that the existing rules discriminated against the children of sperm donors, and the court ruled in Olivia Pratten's favour on Thursday by striking down a section of the B.C. Adoption Act.

In the decision, Justice Elaine Adair wrote that the rights of the child must be protected in sperm donation, much like they are protected in cases of adoption in B.C.

The ruling gives the province 15 months to enact conforming changes to the B.C. Adoption Act that are in line with the Charter of Rights.

Adair found the Act was unconstitutional because it treats adopted children differently from children of sperm donors. Adopted children are provided information about their biological parents, whereas the children of donors are not.


TLDR: A Canadian apellate court has ruled that sperm donors have no right to anonymity, since that violated the rights of the children of sperm donors.

Most Canadian provinces have opened their adoption records out of concern for the rights of adopted children to know who their parents were (some however, like Ontario's, are opt-in -- meaning both the child and the parent must agree to identify themselves). This is the obvious next step, of course, since if adopted kids have the right to know why don't kids of donors?

Personally I'm torn, as I consider sperm donation more of an economic transaction than adoption. Jizz into the cup, get the money. Whether the jizz actual ever gets used by somebody is up to the company that has it, as well as the preferences of its customers.

But even though it is an economic transaction, it's one that carries with it the implicit possibility that you are creating a child. It's not surrogacy, definitely, but there is at least one step in the baby-making process involved (which is why they pay for the jizz in the first place).

My dad found out his heritage after Ontario's adoption records opened, and it brought him a lot of comfort. Is his situation substantially different than the child of jizz in a cup?

Stay a while and listen || http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=354018
Jakalo
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Latvia2350 Posts
May 20 2011 18:05 GMT
#2
I dont have hard stance on this
Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be.
ffz
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States490 Posts
May 20 2011 18:06 GMT
#3
I have always wanted to donate, but never took the effort to find a bank.
Meow.
turdburgler
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
England6749 Posts
May 20 2011 18:06 GMT
#4
On May 21 2011 03:05 Jakalo wrote:
I dont have hard stance on this


i think that's the womans partners problem
Mikilatov
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States3897 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-20 18:11:12
May 20 2011 18:08 GMT
#5
What I've never understood is why people seem to care who their biological parents are?

If I found out my father wasn't my real father, I'd say "No, he's my real father, because he raised me and took care of me and still cares for me to this day." Who the hell cares where the sperm came from. There's a difference between a sperm donor and a DAD.

I guess maybe I'd have to be put in that position to understand, but honestly, I don't think I'd give two shits if I didn't know my 'biological' father, if he was just a random sperm donor.
♥ I used to lasso the shit out of your tournaments =( ♥ | Much is my hero. | zizi yO~ | Be Nice, TL.
ishboh
Profile Joined October 2010
United States954 Posts
May 20 2011 18:10 GMT
#6
On May 21 2011 03:08 Mikilatov wrote:
What I've never understood is why people seem to care who their biological parents are?

If I found out my father wasn't my real father, I'd say "No, he's my real father, because he raised me and took care of me and still cares for me to this day." Who the hell cares where the sperm came from. There's a difference between a sperm donor and a DAD.

I guess maybe I'd have to be put in that position to understand, but honestly, I don't think I'd give two shits if I didn't know my 'biological' father, if he was just a random sperm donor.

i can agree with this, but if it were me, i would want to find my biological father, entirely out of curiosity
MangoTango
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States3670 Posts
May 20 2011 18:12 GMT
#7
On May 21 2011 03:06 turdburgler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 21 2011 03:05 Jakalo wrote:
I dont have hard stance on this


i think that's the womans partners problem


I find that this thread does not arouse my curiousity.
"One fish, two fish, red fish, BLUE TANK!" - Artosis
Terrakin
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1440 Posts
May 20 2011 18:12 GMT
#8
On May 21 2011 03:08 Mikilatov wrote:
What I've never understood is why people seem to care who their biological parents are?

If I found out my father wasn't my real father, I'd say "No, he's my real father, because he raised me and took care of me and still cares for me to this day." Who the hell cares where the sperm came from. There's a difference between a sperm donor and a DAD.

I guess maybe I'd have to be put in that position to understand, but honestly, I don't think I'd give two shits if I didn't know my 'biological' father, if he was just a random sperm donor.

I agree, except this is more about the woman making sure that there's less chance of hereditary problems (im guessing....)
Fame was like a drug. But what was even more like a drug were the drugs.
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
May 20 2011 18:13 GMT
#9
On May 21 2011 03:08 Mikilatov wrote:
What I've never understood is why people seem to care who their biological parents are?

If I found out my father wasn't my real father, I'd say "No, he's my real father, because he raised me and took care of me and still cares for me to this day." Who the hell cares where the sperm came from. There's a difference between a sperm donor and a DAD.

I guess maybe I'd have to be put in that position to understand, but honestly, I don't think I'd give two shits if I didn't know my 'biological' father, if he was just a random sperm donor.


What if your adoptive dad was a jerk or you had no dad at all? Perhaps they also have to live with a burden that they were at one point "unwanted" by their real parents and maybe want closure. I would imagine the people with great adoptive parents are just curious though.
ieatkids5
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United States4628 Posts
May 20 2011 18:13 GMT
#10
On May 21 2011 03:08 Mikilatov wrote:
What I've never understood is why people seem to care who their biological parents are?

If I found out my father wasn't my real father, I'd say "No, he's my real father, because he raised me and took care of me and still cares for me to this day." Who the hell cares where the sperm came from. There's a difference between a sperm donor and a DAD.

I guess maybe I'd have to be put in that position to understand, but honestly, I don't think I'd give two shits if I didn't know my 'biological' father, if he was just a random sperm donor.

I agree. I don't really care for blood relations, despite being Asian (blood relations are pretty important in Chinese culture). Family is created through spending time with each other, caring, loving, living with each other, not by blood.
ZaplinG
Profile Blog Joined February 2005
United States3818 Posts
May 20 2011 18:13 GMT
#11
I'm excited to see where this thread goes.
Don't believe the florist when he tells you that the roses are free
Anachromy
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States194 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-20 18:15:58
May 20 2011 18:15 GMT
#12
Speaking as an individual who was brought into the world this way (In-vitro Fertilization), I'd love to know who my biological father is, but unfortunately, this is going back over 26 years, long before the donor identities were able to be released.

I may never know. but I try not to let it bug me.

ToxNub
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada805 Posts
May 20 2011 18:17 GMT
#13
Biology means shit imo.
bonifaceviii
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2890 Posts
May 20 2011 18:17 GMT
#14
On May 21 2011 03:08 Mikilatov wrote:
What I've never understood is why people seem to care who their biological parents are?

If I found out my father wasn't my real father, I'd say "No, he's my real father, because he raised me and took care of me and still cares for me to this day." Who the hell cares where the sperm came from. There's a difference between a sperm donor and a DAD.

I guess maybe I'd have to be put in that position to understand, but honestly, I don't think I'd give two shits if I didn't know my 'biological' father, if he was just a random sperm donor.

Dad's adoptive mom was a bitch, that's the primary factor in his case.

But he found out that the alternative was a 17-year-old aboriginal girl who beat him for the first three months of his life, so "bitch" is relative.
Stay a while and listen || http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=354018
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
May 20 2011 18:18 GMT
#15
On May 21 2011 03:15 Anachromy wrote:
Speaking as an individual who was brought into the world this way (In-vitro Fertilization), I'd love to know who my biological father is, but unfortunately, this is going back over 26 years, long before the donor identities were able to be released.

I may never know. but I try not to let it bug me.



That's pretty fascinating. I wish you would expand your thoughts on this.
Greatness
Profile Joined May 2011
United States450 Posts
May 20 2011 18:18 GMT
#16
On May 21 2011 03:13 ZaplinG wrote:
I'm excited to see where this thread goes.

Might be a long and hard discussion we have ahead of us.
EnOmy
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia183 Posts
May 20 2011 18:20 GMT
#17
Tough. The child does have a right to know but you're right when you say sperm donation is more of a financial transaction then anything else
GG WP //// 24yo.M
Mikilatov
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States3897 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-20 18:22:22
May 20 2011 18:21 GMT
#18
On May 21 2011 03:13 BlackJack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 21 2011 03:08 Mikilatov wrote:
What I've never understood is why people seem to care who their biological parents are?

If I found out my father wasn't my real father, I'd say "No, he's my real father, because he raised me and took care of me and still cares for me to this day." Who the hell cares where the sperm came from. There's a difference between a sperm donor and a DAD.

I guess maybe I'd have to be put in that position to understand, but honestly, I don't think I'd give two shits if I didn't know my 'biological' father, if he was just a random sperm donor.


What if your adoptive dad was a jerk or you had no dad at all? Perhaps they also have to live with a burden that they were at one point "unwanted" by their real parents and maybe want closure. I would imagine the people with great adoptive parents are just curious though.


That's a good point, but I still don't think I'd personally be interested to know. And generally when I hear about people wanting to seek their real fathers out, they get really bent out of shape about it.

A cousin of mine recently (at age ~20) found out her dad isn't her real dad, and she prettymuch spiraled into drug use and a bunch of other negative stuff. Doesn't really make sense to me, as she's close to her 'father' and he raised her forever. The way I see it is he is her real dad, who cares what biology says.

I suppose I just don't personally quite get what the big deal is, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.
♥ I used to lasso the shit out of your tournaments =( ♥ | Much is my hero. | zizi yO~ | Be Nice, TL.
Iyerbeth
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
England2410 Posts
May 20 2011 18:24 GMT
#19
I feel that taking away anonymity is for the most part just going to result in significantly less donors. I admit this post is just speculation on my part, but I imagine that if the donors wanted to be a 'dad' they'd start their own family instead of anonymously donating. It's not to say I think the decision is wrong (so long as it only applies to future donors), but I do think they're damaging the service as opposed to seriously helping anyone.

I'm also not sure, beyond just meaningless curiousity, what the child would expect to gain from knowing who their biological father was that they should also be entitled to reasonably expect.
♥ Liquid`Sheth ♥ Liquid`TLO ♥
Mortality
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States4790 Posts
May 20 2011 18:25 GMT
#20
My concern about this is that you can jizz into a cup and then a decade later find yourself paying dearly for it if a child you never knew you had -- a child conceived without intercourse -- suddenly starts making demands. I understand that many children born this way might want to know just for the sake of knowing, as some form of closure or something, but this is potentially dangerous for the unknowing father.
Even though this Proleague bullshit has been completely bogus, I really, really, really do not see how Khan can lose this. I swear I will kill myself if they do. - nesix before KHAN lost to eNature
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 123
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 532
IndyStarCraft 123
BRAT_OK 41
MindelVK 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 26960
Bisu 1441
Shuttle 1279
Hyuk 811
Mini 473
firebathero 194
hero 49
Sexy 48
Hyun 46
Mong 45
[ Show more ]
Trap 44
Killer 39
PianO 38
Pusan 36
ToSsGirL 27
Liquid`Ret 21
sorry 18
zelot 18
Rock 14
Sacsri 11
Bale 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc9380
qojqva1679
Dendi976
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1533
crisheroes1116
Liquid`Hasu672
Other Games
singsing1912
fl0m1845
FrodaN1556
Beastyqt704
Mlord451
Hui .227
Liquid`VortiX170
Livibee157
KnowMe137
ArmadaUGS135
Mew2King72
Trikslyr32
CosmosSc2 14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 42
• mYiSmile128
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki14
• Michael_bg 13
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8110
League of Legends
• Jankos1769
Other Games
• Shiphtur230
• WagamamaTV207
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
24m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2h 24m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 24m
INu's Battles
19h 24m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
22h 24m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 23h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.