• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:13
CEST 16:13
KST 23:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War495.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8083 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 117

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 115 116 117 118 119 244 Next
Milkis
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
5003 Posts
December 10 2011 03:22 GMT
#2321
Sighhhhh

So everytime I listen to music nowadays I keep thinking about buying new pair of headphones ._.

I currently have an ATH-M50 and I really like it, but I think it is a time for an upgrade

So i'm debating whether to go straight for a high end set or to buy a mid end set. Is there really that much of a difference between lets say, a 500 dollar pair of headphones and 900?

I'd probably just need amps to go with whatever headphones I pick at that point, right?

Also anyone have any experience buying/selling from Head-fi's boards? It's kind of weird to see "Steep" discounts on random stuff (HD800s for 1000? That's odd I guess) and makes me think that there's probably a lot of lemons in there
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
December 10 2011 03:39 GMT
#2322
Head-fi selling/trading subforum is the most useful place...I've gotten stuff there, and many people have success.

Most of these people take decent care of their gear, and often times there's people trying to liquidate fast to fund another purchase, so hence there are some good deals now and then.

On December 10 2011 12:22 Milkis wrote:
I'd probably just need amps to go with whatever headphones I pick at that point, right?

Not necessarily, depending on the model, but that's probably a good idea.

Keep in mind that just several years ago, aside from Stax electrostatic models, some special discontinued models, and some other exceptions...Sennheiser HD 600 / 650, AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT 880, etc. for like $250-400 were considered the top of the line. Prices are more based on expectations than anything else, I would guess.

At this point it's mostly about personal preferences, so $500 vs. $900 is maybe not the right way to think about it. I haven't tried any of those sets though, so treat this more as a guess than anything else.
PolskaGora
Profile Joined May 2011
United States547 Posts
December 10 2011 03:51 GMT
#2323
I am currently a proud owner of Sennheiser HD202's, and I've been extremely satisfied with them. I got them last Christmas and they haven't broken, worn out, etc. since then. Despite the numerous times I've stepped on them, yanked the cord, or dropped, they always come through and provide me with awesome sound. I got them in replacement for ear-buds, and I couldn't believe the stark contrast in quality of sound. I'll never forget that feeling of awesome. I've gotten used to it now, but when I listen to music in ear-buds now I'm surprised that I stuck around with them in the first place. I definitely recommend them to anyone on a lower-mid range budget!
Tracking treasure down
TorontoRaccoon
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada49 Posts
December 10 2011 03:54 GMT
#2324
I paid 1900 for the HD800s in 2009, and 1600 just 3 months ago =(
moblin
Profile Joined December 2011
United Kingdom3 Posts
December 10 2011 03:59 GMT
#2325
After my HD555 died, due to years of abuse the frame broke into piece's, I found these awesome cans. Shure SRH 840 their closed but to my amateur ear I can't tell much of a difference in sound stage between the open HD555. The mids are amazing which most reviews say it excels at. But the biggest thing to me was the better bass, which i guess is obvious coming from open cans. Wearing them for long periods starts hurting your ears though, definitively the most uncomfortable headphones I've worn.
RaKooNs
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom397 Posts
December 10 2011 04:05 GMT
#2326
Why are Bose headphones considered bad?
If you don't drop sweat today, you will drop tears tomorrow - SlayerS_MMA
HuggyBear
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia377 Posts
December 10 2011 04:09 GMT
#2327
On December 10 2011 13:05 RaKooNs wrote:
Why are Bose headphones considered bad?


Because BOSE products in general are notoriously overpriced for what you get
"Sleeping with SeLeCT is Standard. Once you've slept with Day9 everything else is just ..." - CatZ
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
December 10 2011 04:11 GMT
#2328
Bose is much-maligned when it comes to audio (no highs, no lows, its got to be a Bose) but I have to admit I like their Triports and their noise canceling gear in general.
nalgene
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada2153 Posts
December 10 2011 04:13 GMT
#2329
http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Reviews/Accessories/C5G6Q7A6
On December 10 2011 13:05 RaKooNs wrote:
Why are Bose headphones considered bad?

Fostex t50rp can be had for $74 dollars and is better than any bose in every single way.
Year 2500 Greater Israel ( Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Gaza Strip, West Bank, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen )
elimzkE
Profile Joined May 2011
Australia92 Posts
December 10 2011 04:23 GMT
#2330
I started with Sennheiser HD515s, then when they broke after a couple of years I bought Sennheiser HD555s. They're good, but probably too pricey ($280 AUD) for their actual performance level. That being said, I've had these for about 2 years now and they're still in top quality ^_^
"First there was eLim. Then there was skill."
Archontas
Profile Joined September 2010
United States319 Posts
December 10 2011 04:54 GMT
#2331
Still using the Sony MDR-V600 set that I bought my senior year of high school, which was ~7 years ago now. They've survived being pitched into the wall/floor countless times during rage sessions from SC2 / WoW / Quake 3 / Counter-Strike, not to mention college life in general.
If you ban me, I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
FinBenton
Profile Joined March 2011
Finland870 Posts
December 10 2011 06:37 GMT
#2332
On December 10 2011 12:22 Milkis wrote:
Sighhhhh

So everytime I listen to music nowadays I keep thinking about buying new pair of headphones ._.

I currently have an ATH-M50 and I really like it, but I think it is a time for an upgrade

So i'm debating whether to go straight for a high end set or to buy a mid end set. Is there really that much of a difference between lets say, a 500 dollar pair of headphones and 900?

I'd probably just need amps to go with whatever headphones I pick at that point, right?

Also anyone have any experience buying/selling from Head-fi's boards? It's kind of weird to see "Steep" discounts on random stuff (HD800s for 1000? That's odd I guess) and makes me think that there's probably a lot of lemons in there

I have had HD555 (100€), beyer DT770 (170€) then HD600 (300€) and now audeze lcd2 (1000€), all of those are good headphones but in these ones the more expensive has always been the better. Now with these 1000€ headphones the difference in quality to sennheisers is significant, you cant unhear the difference there is in sound quality. They are 5-1000hz completely flat response and it is significantly faster bass response due to unorthodox driver. You dont need to be an audiophile to hear where that extra moneys are going to. Allthough there are a lot of 500-1000€ normal dynamic headphones that are not significantly better than lets say 200€ phones.
firefistAce
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States137 Posts
December 10 2011 08:58 GMT
#2333
On December 10 2011 13:11 Womwomwom wrote:
Bose is much-maligned when it comes to audio (no highs, no lows, its got to be a Bose) but I have to admit I like their Triports and their noise canceling gear in general.


their noise cancelling is bar none one of the best if not the best out there. Bose QC15 for $300, its comfortable, but the material they use to make the headphones sure feel like shit.
Please excuse my English as I am an American on the internet.
clayn
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany444 Posts
December 10 2011 09:08 GMT
#2334
Just bought the Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones. I'm not that big of an enthusiast but i like good quality of music so I'm pretty satisfied with the Aurvana Live!
TorontoRaccoon
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada49 Posts
December 10 2011 09:20 GMT
#2335
On December 10 2011 15:37 FinBenton wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 12:22 Milkis wrote:


I have had HD555 (100€), beyer DT770 (170€) then HD600 (300€) and now audeze lcd2 (1000€), all of those are good headphones but in these ones the more expensive has always been the better. Now with these 1000€ headphones the difference in quality to sennheisers is significant, you cant unhear the difference there is in sound quality. They are 5-1000hz completely flat response and it is significantly faster bass response due to unorthodox driver. You dont need to be an audiophile to hear where that extra moneys are going to. Allthough there are a lot of 500-1000€ normal dynamic headphones that are not significantly better than lets say 200€ phones.


You forgot to mention the need to invest at least the same amount on amplification on higher end headphones as the cost of the headphones itself. To make them shine...
FinBenton
Profile Joined March 2011
Finland870 Posts
December 10 2011 10:39 GMT
#2336
On December 10 2011 18:20 TorontoRaccoon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 15:37 FinBenton wrote:
On December 10 2011 12:22 Milkis wrote:


I have had HD555 (100€), beyer DT770 (170€) then HD600 (300€) and now audeze lcd2 (1000€), all of those are good headphones but in these ones the more expensive has always been the better. Now with these 1000€ headphones the difference in quality to sennheisers is significant, you cant unhear the difference there is in sound quality. They are 5-1000hz completely flat response and it is significantly faster bass response due to unorthodox driver. You dont need to be an audiophile to hear where that extra moneys are going to. Allthough there are a lot of 500-1000€ normal dynamic headphones that are not significantly better than lets say 200€ phones.


You forgot to mention the need to invest at least the same amount on amplification on higher end headphones as the cost of the headphones itself. To make them shine...

Yeah that depends what headphones are in questien, not all top models need an expensive amp. I have 400€ amp/dac but these Audezes are easy to drive and sound ALMOST as good from my samsung galaxy S2 or iphone4. Something like HD800 would probably need a good amp though.
Milkis
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
5003 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 14:53:20
December 10 2011 14:48 GMT
#2337
On December 10 2011 19:39 FinBenton wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 18:20 TorontoRaccoon wrote:
On December 10 2011 15:37 FinBenton wrote:
On December 10 2011 12:22 Milkis wrote:


I have had HD555 (100€), beyer DT770 (170€) then HD600 (300€) and now audeze lcd2 (1000€), all of those are good headphones but in these ones the more expensive has always been the better. Now with these 1000€ headphones the difference in quality to sennheisers is significant, you cant unhear the difference there is in sound quality. They are 5-1000hz completely flat response and it is significantly faster bass response due to unorthodox driver. You dont need to be an audiophile to hear where that extra moneys are going to. Allthough there are a lot of 500-1000€ normal dynamic headphones that are not significantly better than lets say 200€ phones.


You forgot to mention the need to invest at least the same amount on amplification on higher end headphones as the cost of the headphones itself. To make them shine...

Yeah that depends what headphones are in questien, not all top models need an expensive amp. I have 400€ amp/dac but these Audezes are easy to drive and sound ALMOST as good from my samsung galaxy S2 or iphone4. Something like HD800 would probably need a good amp though.


Heh, amusing because the LCD2 was what I was looking at, versus lets say, Audio Technica W1000X/W1000/AD2000. The choice being "not bright" vs "Bright" so I guess it's quite the different choices ._.

What kind of Amp should I get be getting for any of these, anyway? You say LCD2 is easy to drive, how much of an amp would I need to drive it "enough"
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 15:47:48
December 10 2011 15:42 GMT
#2338
The planar magnetic headphones like LCD2 have a very flat impedance over frequency curve and also flat phase over frequency, which in general should make them easy loads to drive for most amps at least from theory, in those respects.

The only issue is that most have medium-lowish impedance, and some are extraordinarily insensitive, so the power requirements can be quite onerous for some models, like the HE-6.

With the LCD2 you're roughly just looking for something that can put around 2.25 V (rms) or more into around 50 ohms, and do it well. That's not trivial but not too difficult. That's for about a max of 110 dB SPL listening. If you don't listen that loud (most people don't, unless they're listening to well-recorded classical or jazz music with occasional peaks much louder than the average level), then it's easier than that since less voltage will be needed. Most portable sources max out at about 0.5-1V, for reference.

edit: that was based on Rev2 measurements at InnerFidelity:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Actually the two other samples tested are more sensitive, so even less of an issue. 0.106 V rms for 90 dB SPL means 1.06 V rms for 110 dB SPL, and 0.165 V rms for 90 dB SPL on yet another sample means 1.65 V rms for 110 dB SPL.
FinBenton
Profile Joined March 2011
Finland870 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 18:55:43
December 10 2011 18:55 GMT
#2339
If you consider LCD2 then also take a look at Hifiman HE-500, I have not tried them myself but what I have read is they are almost as good as LCD2 in bass department and maybe slightly better in high department (kinda preference thing on highs though). They are also a lot cheaper and a bit more comfy. Great powerfull amp with LCD or hifiman is Schiit audio Lyr, 4W tube monster and not too expensive.
Kelberot
Profile Joined July 2010
Brazil364 Posts
December 11 2011 06:42 GMT
#2340
... so after a month of use my RE-ZERO's right channel died out. It sucks extra bad because I can't get them refunded in time (not that I would be able to anyway, by the time they'd get it from brazil it would probably have expired the warranty anyway) and because it just sounded amazing.

The durability on these things seems to be pure shit, and it's just awful how I always find out problems like these after they happen to me (like the deathadder randomly dying problem). They used to sound fantastic, it's really deppressing going back to my old phones.

Anyone knows anything that sounds fine, is comfortable and also won't break?
Prev 1 115 116 117 118 119 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
21:00
ONSYDE Invitational
TaKeTV 335
TKL 239
CranKy Ducklings142
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Serral 1134
Lowko532
TKL 239
ProTech121
Rex 118
MindelVK 24
EmSc Tv 10
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 59164
Free 1801
Horang2 319
firebathero 255
Zeus 206
Last 111
Hyun 79
910 73
ToSsGirL 69
Pusan 46
[ Show more ]
Trap 46
soO 31
Bishop 22
Rock 21
Aegong 20
scan(afreeca) 18
Yoon 16
Noble 13
Sacsri 9
Icarus 7
Dota 2
Gorgc7539
Dendi850
XaKoH 434
420jenkins67
canceldota29
Counter-Strike
fl0m2528
byalli654
Other Games
singsing2305
Mlord547
Beastyqt344
KnowMe132
Liquid`VortiX109
DeMusliM95
QueenE68
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV225
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 10
EmSc2Tv 10
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP23
• StrangeGG 19
• Dystopia_ 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 2
• FT.aCt)Sony1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2768
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1511
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
2h 47m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4h 47m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 47m
Patches Events
1d
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
OSC
1d 8h
OSC
1d 21h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.