• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:18
CEST 22:18
KST 05:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8706 users

Onemanga Falls - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Full.tilt
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United Kingdom1709 Posts
July 22 2010 14:41 GMT
#81
Back to getting the releases from irc then, usually better quality anyway before the pics get formatted for online reader sites.
aTnClouD
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Italy2428 Posts
July 22 2010 14:43 GMT
#82
my life is emptier now
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/hunter692007/kruemelmonsteryn0.gif
Back
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada505 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-22 14:47:08
July 22 2010 14:43 GMT
#83
By the time licensed translations catch up to where I was in Hajime no Ippo I will be 90 years old.

On July 22 2010 23:40 thedeadhaji wrote:
Such a service SHOULD be provided by the publishers.

But alas, they are morons. I bet you the 20 year olds in the companies have actually proposed such ideas, but have been quashed by the 40+ year olds who aren't connected with the world.

Make some subscription service + one click thing (kind of like amazon), where you pay 25c per episode, directly linked to a cc account or something and you'd have a massive revenue stream.


I would gladly pay for such a service.
Slardar
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada7596 Posts
July 22 2010 14:46 GMT
#84
Dear Lord nooooooooo.....:'( Thanks for the insight Haji.
TheEvilDog
Profile Joined February 2003
Sweden24 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-22 14:49:01
July 22 2010 14:46 GMT
#85
http://stoptazmo.com/ is pretty good, you can download or view online
synapse
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
China13814 Posts
July 22 2010 14:49 GMT
#86
On July 22 2010 20:34 lesser_good wrote:
all the good shit is on 1000manga, which has yet to display any messages of closing down


1000manga's manga reader is shutting down as well (I always wondered why Dragon Ball was put on 1000manga....). It's so sad T__T

So basically we gotta save the websites of the scanlators for the mangas we follow...
:)
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-22 14:57:27
July 22 2010 14:52 GMT
#87
On July 22 2010 23:43 Back wrote:
By the time licensed translations catch up to where I was in Hajime no Ippo I will be 90 years old.

Show nested quote +
On July 22 2010 23:40 thedeadhaji wrote:
Such a service SHOULD be provided by the publishers.

But alas, they are morons. I bet you the 20 year olds in the companies have actually proposed such ideas, but have been quashed by the 40+ year olds who aren't connected with the world.

Make some subscription service + one click thing (kind of like amazon), where you pay 25c per episode, directly linked to a cc account or something and you'd have a massive revenue stream.


I would gladly pay for such a service.


It's such simple math... you just add up all the downloaded N chapters on the major sites, multiply it by say, 10% (10% of downloaders will pay $X for the chapter). So now you have N x $X = weekly revenue stream, then you calculate how much it will cost to put up and maintain such a service, outsource translating, yadayada.

They probably don't even understand that by providing such a service, you also increase your customer base for hard copies of these books. They are so fucking incompetent...


edit: some simple math: say you offer a "read all you want" service for $10/mont that covers Koudansha, Shuueisha and Shougakukan (not all the publishers, but covers the big 3). From the download numbers, I'd imagine that you could get a subscription base of 20,000 users globally (seems pretty realistic??).

Annual revenue = 20,000 x $10 x 12 = $2.4M

Start off with just the really major series (make a poll on teh site asking the users), say 20 series or something and you can definitely run this business model even considering the start up costs and hiring translators. Add in the potential (very realistic) increase in sales of hard copies worldwide, and some marketing will get you to a $20M business in a few years.
The_Pacifist
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States540 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-22 14:54:21
July 22 2010 14:53 GMT
#88
RIP Onemanga... Mid 2007 - July 22, 2010

I think publishers still could have handled this much better. Simply closing the hosting sites won't increase their revenue (maybe a bit, but only marginally) and will make manga less popular in the west in general.

I made the poll below because I'm curious to see that had publishers been willing to work with sites like onemanga and provide digital distribution at reasonable prices (considering it costs essentially nothing for publishers to distribute a digital copy of anything compared to a physical copy), would you be willing to pay and how much? It just bugs me that manga publishers just gave the finger to a huge manga reading userbase instead of making the most of a great opportunity.

Business Model #1: MMO Subscription Style. Make a monthly fee for access to unlimited manga (Keep in mind that one volume of a manga, about 5 to 7 chapters of a series, normally costs anywhere in the $15-20 range):

Poll: I would be willing to pay a maximum of:

$10 per month (14)
 
48%

$5 per month (11)
 
38%

Heck no. I'm not paying squat! (2)
 
7%

$1 per month (1)
 
3%

$20 per month or more (1)
 
3%

$15 per month (0)
 
0%

29 total votes

Your vote: I would be willing to pay a maximum of:

(Vote): $1 per month
(Vote): $5 per month
(Vote): $10 per month
(Vote): $15 per month
(Vote): $20 per month or more
(Vote): Heck no. I'm not paying squat!



Business Model #2: Pay per View. You pay for each released chapter and can keep the chapter. I am willing to pay:

Poll: I would be willing to pay a maximum of:

$ 0.25 per chapter (19)
 
76%

They can't have my money! Up theirs! (3)
 
12%

$ 0.50 per chapter (2)
 
8%

$ 1.00 per chapter (1)
 
4%

$ 1.50 per chapter (0)
 
0%

$ 2.00 per chapter (0)
 
0%

over $ 2.00 per chapter (0)
 
0%

25 total votes

Your vote: I would be willing to pay a maximum of:

(Vote): $ 0.25 per chapter
(Vote): $ 0.50 per chapter
(Vote): $ 1.00 per chapter
(Vote): $ 1.50 per chapter
(Vote): $ 2.00 per chapter
(Vote): over $ 2.00 per chapter
(Vote): They can't have my money! Up theirs!



Final Poll:

Poll: If I could I would choose...

Flat out pirate it all (13)
 
52%

Some combination of pirating, online distibution, and buying hard copies (4)
 
16%

a digital distibution model like the ones above (3)
 
12%

I'd just pirate but buy online if the price was reasonably low enough (2)
 
8%

I'd pirate and buy from a bookstore (2)
 
8%

to rather buy manga from a bookstore (1)
 
4%

25 total votes

Your vote: If I could I would choose...

(Vote): a digital distibution model like the ones above
(Vote): to rather buy manga from a bookstore
(Vote): I'd just pirate but buy online if the price was reasonably low enough
(Vote): I'd pirate and buy from a bookstore
(Vote): Some combination of pirating, online distibution, and buying hard copies
(Vote): Flat out pirate it all



Garnet
Profile Blog Joined February 2006
Vietnam9056 Posts
July 22 2010 14:55 GMT
#89
gotlurk.net down for anyone?
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-22 15:03:06
July 22 2010 15:01 GMT
#90
On July 22 2010 23:53 The_Pacifist wrote:
Business Model #1: MMO Subscription Style. Make a monthly fee for access to unlimited manga (Keep in mind that one volume of a manga, about 5 to 7 chapters of a series, normally costs anywhere in the $15-20 range):

It's $9 for 200 pages and that's on the high end.
It also depends on where you live.


They probably don't even understand that by providing such a service, you also increase your customer base for hard copies of these books. They are so fucking incompetent...

It's not incompetence when their secondary goal is trying to keep their army of store front owners, sales associates, paper publishing workers, and paper book marketing execs employed. Digital distribution is best for the worldwide release, but Japanese folks would want it, too. That would put a dent into their primary hard copies market.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-22 15:05:02
July 22 2010 15:02 GMT
#91
On July 22 2010 23:53 The_Pacifist wrote:

I think publishers still could have handled this much better. Simply closing the hosting sites won't increase their revenue (maybe a bit, but only marginally) and will make manga less popular in the west in general.

I made the poll below because I'm curious to see that had publishers been willing to work with sites like onemanga and provide digital distribution at reasonable prices (considering it costs essentially nothing for publishers to distribute a digital copy of anything compared to a physical copy), would you be willing to pay and how much? It just bugs me that manga publishers just gave the finger to a huge manga reading userbase instead of making the most of a great opportunity.



After giving the situatution some thought (including my rage in this thread lol), I think one main reason they cannot embrace digital distribution is because of how heavily intertwined each of the production steps are inside japan.

ie Author -> publisher -> printing company -> shipping company -> book store

If they offered digital sales globally, users would surely demand such a service domestically, which will probably rape the downstream firms. (of course, they're probably blind to the fact that people who are going to pirate digital copies aren't suddently going to buy physical copies b/c their lives got marginally harder)This is actually how the system SHOULD work. Outdated mediums should die in the face of competition. However, that's not how japan rolls. Rolls into its deathbed that is.

On July 23 2010 00:01 TanGeng wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2010 23:53 The_Pacifist wrote:
Business Model #1: MMO Subscription Style. Make a monthly fee for access to unlimited manga (Keep in mind that one volume of a manga, about 5 to 7 chapters of a series, normally costs anywhere in the $15-20 range):

It's $9 for 200 pages and that's on the high end.
It also depends on where you live.

Show nested quote +

They probably don't even understand that by providing such a service, you also increase your customer base for hard copies of these books. They are so fucking incompetent...

It's not incompetence when their secondary goal is trying to keep their arm of store front owners, sales associates, paper publishing workers, and paper book marketing execs employed.


ya I definitely hear ya. "why" they are doing what they are doing is logical. But should they be making such decisions in the first place? Japanese old guard firms refused to live in the present, and as a result, have been completely annihilated by services such as amazon. Same thing is going to happen with the e-reader business as well btw, it's deifnitely going to be a non-domestic ervice that's going to become the market leader.
Tekin
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
2711 Posts
July 22 2010 15:04 GMT
#92
Noo! I read my New Prince of Tennis there! Why! T___T
Cheers! //¯◡◡¯\\ 문채원 | 한지우 -___-
s[O]rry
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada398 Posts
July 22 2010 15:05 GMT
#93
Any ideas on where to go now??? I really want to keep reading Liar Game!
Sunshine.
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
July 22 2010 15:07 GMT
#94
On July 23 2010 00:01 TanGeng wrote: Digital distribution is best for the worldwide release, but Japanese folks would want it, too. That would put a dent into their primary hard copies market.


looks like we're reaching the same conclusion.
Yukidasu
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Australia125 Posts
July 22 2010 15:12 GMT
#95
On July 23 2010 00:02 thedeadhaji wrote:
Outdated mediums should die in the face of competition. However, that's not how japan rolls. Rolls into its deathbed that is.


You're right, but it's hardly a problem that's constrained to Japan. It's a problem that confronts business everywhere - it's usually better and safer for a firm to work within the framework that exists rather than go their own way. There are only a few industries that seem to avoid this to some extent (like the software industry).
Lost in a groundless dream. You can't fly if there's nowhere to fall.
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
July 22 2010 15:18 GMT
#96
First of all for the poll, I'm going to comment on the prices.

$5 per month unlimited reading might be a good price for one single magazine with 20-40 titles. The most you are going to get is all the titles under one publishing house's umbrella. And since it might include back issues, there would probably have to be an account registration fee.

$.25 per chapter is a ridiculous price for most of the mass market titles. For weekly serials that's a subscription of $12.50 per year. It's outrageous.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
TunaFishyMe
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada150 Posts
July 22 2010 15:21 GMT
#97
ok guys...
i need my weekly dose of haji no ippo, naruto, and bleach. I've been reading this shit since highschool. 1000 manga doesnt have any of these.

Where can i get this !!!!
The_Pacifist
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States540 Posts
July 22 2010 15:27 GMT
#98
On July 23 2010 00:18 TanGeng wrote:
First of all for the poll, I'm going to comment on the prices.

$5 per month unlimited reading might be a good price for one single magazine with 20-40 titles. The most you are going to get is all the titles under one publishing house's umbrella. And since it might include back issues, there would probably have to be an account registration fee.

$.25 per chapter is a ridiculous price for most of the mass market titles. For weekly serials that's a subscription of $12.50 per year. It's outrageous.


I probably should have put in an option under 25 cents. Still, $12.50 per year is vastly cheaper than buying that many hard copies. Where I live, I can't even find a single volume of any series for under $15.

On July 23 2010 00:21 TunaFishyMe wrote:
ok guys...
i need my weekly dose of haji no ippo, naruto, and bleach. I've been reading this shit since highschool. 1000 manga doesnt have any of these.

Where can i get this !!!!


Since many of you don't seem to understand, 1000manga is going down as well. I know.

Source: http://forum.onemanga.com/showthread.php?t=86405
Garaman
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States556 Posts
July 22 2010 15:30 GMT
#99
wtfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
im so annoyed
this is where i read all my manga.
DAMNNNNN YOUUUUUU
SwEEt[TearS]
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1575 Posts
July 22 2010 15:32 GMT
#100
FML.
I'm reading 58 ongoing mangas. with mangashotokan getting the shaft earlier this month, it's going to be a pain in the ass to keep up with everything -_-

and it's not like I don't buy shit either. I think since I started reading mangas years ago I might've spent somewhere around $3k US (I have at least 200 books @ 10-15 bucks each so yeah). I am quite mad, bro.

I think I'll spend the day getting all the scanlation groups sites, siiiiiiiiigh.

for people that don't know where else to read stuff, those are the other sites I use:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://unixmanga.com/onlinereading/0-desc-date.php
http://www.mangafox.com/
http://www.citymanga.com/

kinda incomplete, but oh well.
#1 arb fan -- Raelcun is Nuclear backwards. Rekrul is Lurker backwards. Grobyc is Cyborg backwards. Eniram is Marine backwards.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 466
ProTech142
BRAT_OK 94
Railgan 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 1534
Dewaltoss 109
Trap 27
Bale 14
Dota 2
420jenkins522
Counter-Strike
fl0m4033
Fnx 628
kRYSTAL_30
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4458
Liquid`Hasu610
Other Games
summit1g4791
Liquid`RaSZi2062
FrodaN870
B2W.Neo547
XaKoH 239
ToD186
C9.Mang0185
RotterdaM92
UpATreeSC73
QueenE64
Mew2King33
PPMD23
JuggernautJason13
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV188
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream19
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 39
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2873
Other Games
• Shiphtur1166
• imaqtpie811
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 42m
Patches Events
19h 42m
The PondCast
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 14h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.