• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:58
CEST 13:58
KST 20:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10018 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 886

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 884 885 886 887 888 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18450 Posts
May 31 2017 23:18 GMT
#17701
On June 01 2017 07:58 travis wrote:
Can you explain why it would return 5, 10 as max start and end instead of 0, 10 ?

I thought I had a clue reading that code but maybe I don't, lol

No, you're right. It's not as trivially reduceable to the maximum congruent subarray problem as I thought. The fact that it's circular allows you to do stuff that cannot simply be replicated by making repeating the array. I guess to use this approach, you'd have to simultaneously find the longest stretch you can within your current subarray with a value less or equal to 0. And then do some magic at the end, if necessary.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
May 31 2017 23:23 GMT
#17702
If you want to spoil an elegant solution for yourself, I expect you will enjoy it's simplicity like I did

http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/maximum-contiguous-circular-sum/
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
May 31 2017 23:26 GMT
#17703
I don't understand that solution *at all*, anyone have an explanation?
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-31 23:39:26
May 31 2017 23:35 GMT
#17704
The solution covers 2 cases. The first case is that we can use the normal algorithm (the one blisse linked). We can use this algorithm if we don't have to worry about "wrapping around" our circular array.

A couple examples of that are {5, 5, 5} or {-3, 7, 8, 9} or {-2, 6, 3, -1, 7, -5}

In all of those we do not need to wrap to find our subarray. We now have a way to handle this case, so we can include it in our code - we don't need to worry about it anymore.


However there are cases where we do need to wrap around to find our subarray. Examples could be: {7, -2, 7 } or {1, 2, 3, 4, -5, 6, 7 } etc. These are cases where we need to remove negative stuff from the inside but still use both the ends of the array (since if it was a real necklace the end would connect to the beginning).

For those cases we know we have positive elements on the ends, because it is wrapping. So, we know that the subarray that we are removing is NOT wrapping - it's inside the array - not on the ends.
Because we know the subarray to be removed is inside, we can make all our positives negative, and all our negatives positive.

Then we find the greatest sum with this new array, which is actually the part to be removed because the signs were flipped. So our "start position" will be at the end of this subarray(the one that has the part we need to remove), and our "end position" will be just before it begins.


To cover both cases we need to run both algorithms in our code, and compare to see which gives us the greater sum - and that is the one that we will use.
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-31 23:40:00
May 31 2017 23:39 GMT
#17705
Aahh so the trick is flipping the sign bit so that one loop through will get a max value. But you will also have to solve problem where you find "snip points", so that will add a little more complexity.

E: These kind of tricky problems are frustrating. Good job working through it man
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-31 23:45:56
May 31 2017 23:45 GMT
#17706
Sorry, I don't understand why running my originally suggested algorithm with the array 2x and max N wouldn't work.

Changing {7, -2, 7} to {7, -2, 7, 7, -2, 7} would get you the maximum sequence {7, 7}.
Changing {1, 2, 3, 4, -5, 6, 7 } to {1, 2, 3, 4, -5, 6, 7, 1, 2, 3, 4, -5, 6, 7 } would get you the maximum sequence {6, 7, 1, 2, 3, 4}.
There is no one like you in the universe.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
May 31 2017 23:51 GMT
#17707
In both of those cases the maximum sequence would be the full 2x arrays. {7, -2, 7, 7, -2, 7} has a higher value than {7, 7}
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-31 23:52:43
May 31 2017 23:52 GMT
#17708
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-31 23:54:16
May 31 2017 23:53 GMT
#17709
On June 01 2017 08:51 travis wrote:
In both of those cases the maximum sequence would be the full 2x arrays. {7, -2, 7, 7, -2, 7} has a higher value than {7, 7}


> ... with the array 2x and max N wouldn't work.

Should've specified max length N, oops.
There is no one like you in the universe.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-01 00:10:32
May 31 2017 23:58 GMT
#17710
edit: actually let me make sure I know what I am saying is correct

edit2: My brain is starting to get a bit worn out so I can't prove it but I think you lose linear time efficiency by doing what you are saying. I think that every time you reach "n" length subarray you would have to start over, 1 index from where you started last time, over and over again.
Well I guess there might be other ways but it definitely isn't simple


and if you tried to do it using the algorithm you originally posted, you would have to "snip" the subarray it found to shorten it to N length, which would mean you would have to go through all the N-length subarrays within the subarray that it found
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18450 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-01 06:58:45
June 01 2017 06:58 GMT
#17711
On June 01 2017 08:23 travis wrote:
If you want to spoil an elegant solution for yourself, I expect you will enjoy it's simplicity like I did

http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/maximum-contiguous-circular-sum/

Yup. More elegant by far than trying to deal with the wrap-around case by snipping out the middle, although it's essentially the same algorithm. It just looks neater that way
dsyxelic
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1417 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-02 04:13:01
June 02 2017 04:11 GMT
#17712
so after taking a break from that really weird c project I brought up in this thread a while ago, I've been working on it all day today to figure out the kinks before the due date tomorrow at midnight

I managed to finish it just now and wow it was pretty frustrating

so basically what I did originally was for the most part fine, it's just that the mips simulator completely bugs out unless I follow some rules:

1) has to be in that old C style the professor used. I rewrote my code according to how he wrote his code
2) must define empty __main() function since the simulator calls for it and gives an error if it's not defined
3) must define empty dummy function and call it in each function I am using pointers to access the stack
4) cannot use printf, must use a separate string printing function the professor defined
5) when compiling it into the needed .s file the .c file used must be the same as the .s file. (did not know this and took hours)

also had to change frame pointer along with return address

if people are still interested in the final code I'll post tomorrow after the due date since I'd rather not chance (albeit hilariously small) someone comes across and copies it before the due date. or PM ing is fine

it's basically what I posted before with all those rules followed above. just save the address of the return address and frame pointer in the setjmp function and have the return address and frame pointer in longjmp function be changed to that of the one from setjmp. doesn't work when I write it like how modern human beings write C code. only in that archaic form does it work in the simulator. top 5 stupidest assignments i've had so far in my life not because of the content but because of the horrible guidelines and directions. And so much effort needed for trying to teach something rather simple.
TL/SKT
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
June 02 2017 07:04 GMT
#17713
On June 02 2017 13:11 dsyxelic wrote:
so after taking a break from that really weird c project I brought up in this thread a while ago, I've been working on it all day today to figure out the kinks before the due date tomorrow at midnight

I managed to finish it just now and wow it was pretty frustrating

so basically what I did originally was for the most part fine, it's just that the mips simulator completely bugs out unless I follow some rules:

1) has to be in that old C style the professor used. I rewrote my code according to how he wrote his code
2) must define empty __main() function since the simulator calls for it and gives an error if it's not defined
3) must define empty dummy function and call it in each function I am using pointers to access the stack
4) cannot use printf, must use a separate string printing function the professor defined
5) when compiling it into the needed .s file the .c file used must be the same as the .s file. (did not know this and took hours)

also had to change frame pointer along with return address

if people are still interested in the final code I'll post tomorrow after the due date since I'd rather not chance (albeit hilariously small) someone comes across and copies it before the due date. or PM ing is fine

it's basically what I posted before with all those rules followed above. just save the address of the return address and frame pointer in the setjmp function and have the return address and frame pointer in longjmp function be changed to that of the one from setjmp. doesn't work when I write it like how modern human beings write C code. only in that archaic form does it work in the simulator. top 5 stupidest assignments i've had so far in my life not because of the content but because of the horrible guidelines and directions. And so much effort needed for trying to teach something rather simple.


Wow...

What class is that? C? Embedded systems?

Also, to anyone familiar with mips: do you really have to use old syntax for it and some non-standard functions or is it just this weird simulator that enforces this?

Super weird assignment. I feel your pain and am glad you made it work.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
June 02 2017 07:08 GMT
#17714
I'll take a look! I write C/C++ professionally so I'd be pretty interested in peeking.
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-02 08:13:22
June 02 2017 07:58 GMT
#17715
--- Nuked ---
dsyxelic
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1417 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-02 21:02:59
June 02 2017 14:06 GMT
#17716
Yup nesserev got it. Thats the book we use and thats what the class is called. I agree hand writing this in assembly would have taught the same thing with less trouble.

@cecil ill pm you after work! Or just post here since its due around then anyways.

And respect to those who work in c, this language hurts me

edit:

here's the code

+ Show Spoiler +

int *ra; //return address
int *fp; //frame pointer
main()
{
int r;
r = setjmp(r);
if(r==0)
{
fun1();
return(0);
}
else
{
print_str("error\n");
return(2);
}
}
__main()
{
return(0);
}
dummy(v)
int v;
{
return(0);
}
setjmp(v)
int v;
{
int *p = &v;
ra = *(p-1);
fp = *(p-2);
dummy(v);
return(0);
}
longjmp(v)
int v;
{
int *p;
p = &v;
*(p-1) = ra;
*(p-2) = fp;
dummy(v);
return(1);
}
fun1()
{
print_str("start fun1\n");
fun2();
return(0);
}
fun2()
{
int d;
print_str("start fun2\n");
longjmp(d);
return(0);
}
print_str(str)
char *str;
{
int code;
code = 4;
asm(
"add $a0, %1, $zero\n\t"
"add $v0, %0, $zero\n\t"
"syscall"
:
: "r" (code), "r" (str));
return(0);
}
//output is:
//start fun1
//start fun2
//error
TL/SKT
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-03 16:27:46
June 03 2017 16:25 GMT
#17717
I was wondering if any of you could glance over my homework solutions for this week's "NP-Completeness" homework. It's really short - but I haven't done stuff quite like this and I am liable to screw it up (and some of it is a bit confusing for me)

Here is a link to the homework
http://www.cs.umd.edu/class/summer2017/cmsc351/hwk-np.pdf

this week we do only part 1 - sorting
so the questions I am wanting checked over is questions 2 and questions 3 of part 1

here are my solutions

http://www.filedropper.com/scan0001_2

(I had to click to download it twice before it actually downloaded it)

If you can't tell - my answer for 3a was to "put all the elements of all lists into a linked list" - or I guess that if they already were linked lists (it's not specific) - then link them all together.


note: if you are worried about helping me "cheat", it's not like that for this class. We can work together and review each other's stuff, we just need to write our solutions ourselves. Also, 87% of our grade is our one midterm and final so homework doesn't matter too much. I mostly just care about it so I will be better on the 2 exams.
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
June 03 2017 17:38 GMT
#17718
--- Nuked ---
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-03 18:13:41
June 03 2017 18:09 GMT
#17719
On June 04 2017 02:38 Nesserev wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 04 2017 01:25 travis wrote:
I was wondering if any of you could glance over my homework solutions for this week's "NP-Completeness" homework. It's really short - but I haven't done stuff quite like this and I am liable to screw it up (and some of it is a bit confusing for me)

Here is a link to the homework
http://www.cs.umd.edu/class/summer2017/cmsc351/hwk-np.pdf

this week we do only part 1 - sorting
so the questions I am wanting checked over is questions 2 and questions 3 of part 1

here are my solutions

http://www.filedropper.com/scan0001_2

(I had to click to download it twice before it actually downloaded it)

If you can't tell - my answer for 3a was to "put all the elements of all lists into a linked list" - or I guess that if they already were linked lists (it's not specific) - then link them all together.


note: if you are worried about helping me "cheat", it's not like that for this class. We can work together and review each other's stuff, we just need to write our solutions ourselves. Also, 87% of our grade is our one midterm and final so homework doesn't matter too much. I mostly just care about it so I will be better on the 2 exams.

Your answers for 2 are correct, but you seem to leave out some steps, which is annoying.

In 3a, you seem to have missed that you're also supposed to split that big list back up into all those separate lists afterwards in linear time. How will you do that?

The answer 3a will affect your answers for 3b, 3c and 3d, because you have to add the preprocessing and postprocessing times.


Hmm ok, I will be more meticiulous about 2.
As for 3 - are you sure I need to do that? I guess that does make sense, but it doesn't explicitly say it.

As for how I would do it - I honestly have no idea. That sounds impossible. I could separate it into lists of the original sizes, but the elements would be all wrong for each list.

Did the math for what I actually did look correct?

Thank you btw, appreciate your time.


edit: oh quick note, the homework says: "In order to get exact results, for the remaining problems in this section, ignore the cost of preparing the lists for input into the sorting package or processing the results (assuming those costs are within reason)."
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-03 18:30:30
June 03 2017 18:29 GMT
#17720
--- Nuked ---
Prev 1 884 885 886 887 888 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
IntoTheiNu 812
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs Krystianer
CranKy Ducklings180
CranKy Ducklings SOOP21
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech10
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31069
Shuttle 12067
FanTaSy 1685
Hyuk 1060
Horang2 541
BeSt 513
Pusan 298
Mini 291
Stork 220
EffOrt 172
[ Show more ]
Killer 150
Last 148
Zeus 132
Mind 92
ggaemo 71
Hyun 56
PianO 49
sorry 47
Snow 47
Sea.KH 45
ToSsGirL 37
Bale 30
Hm[arnc] 29
Aegong 23
JYJ 23
zelot 20
Sacsri 12
Noble 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
Dendi611
XcaliburYe352
Counter-Strike
fl0m2456
byalli877
x6flipin439
Other Games
gofns33911
singsing3243
B2W.Neo905
Hui .134
ArmadaUGS85
Livibee81
Mew2King54
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick674
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream70
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• Michael_bg 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
3h 2m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 2m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 2m
Replay Cast
11h 2m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 2m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
23h 2m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 23h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.