• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:42
CEST 22:42
KST 05:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12433 users

[G] Mouse less computer usage ( browsing aswell!) - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 17:01:04
February 28 2010 16:49 GMT
#21
On March 01 2010 01:33 Wohmfg wrote:
Great guide!

Also, in Firefox, F6 highlights your address, and ctrl-e puts your cursor in the search bar at the top right.

I'm not comfortable using F keys so I prefer alt+d instead of F6. I mostly use the awesome bar for searching because alt+d is in my muscle memory. To me the search field(ctrl+e) is actually obsolete since with gleebox I can use :gim or :wp etc to search google images/wiki whatnot.


On March 01 2010 01:20 Aim Here wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2010 01:10 HazMat wrote:
Is there a way to click on a bookmark in firefox using the keyboard?


Alt+B (notice that the B in Bookmarks is underlined which is a clue), then navigate up and down with the cursor keys, then hit enter when you're on the right bookmark.


Yeah alt focuses the menus and from there you either use letters (in this case B) or cursor key. I use letters all the way. For example if I want addons I press:
Alt+T release and then A. Bookmarks is something I don't use much due to the awesome bar.

On March 01 2010 01:59 MindCrusher wrote:
I use Everything in combination with the launcher (Launchy). Everything indexes your files very fast and I almost don't care where my files are stored on the HDD as they are just a search away( I use CTRL+ Space to launch Everything and ALT + Space for Launchy) .


Have not tried everything, will try
MindCrusher
Profile Joined September 2005
Romania236 Posts
February 28 2010 16:59 GMT
#22
I use Everything in combination with the launcher (Launchy). Everything indexes your files very fast and I almost don't care where my files are stored on the HDD as they are just a search away( I use CTRL+ Space to launch Everything and ALT + Space for Launchy) .
I will try to be nicer if you try to be smarter!
TheBB
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Switzerland5133 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 17:10:36
February 28 2010 17:10 GMT
#23
On March 01 2010 00:18 flamez[666] wrote:
linux + shell = done

Yeah, this.

Whenever I go back to Windows I'm helpless. Yeah, I don't know the shortcuts... but I can't understand how Windows hasn't gotten around to implementing workspaces yet (they haven't right?). In Linux I have 9 workspaces, browser on 7, IM on 8 and e-mail on 9. Whenever I need something, I just Win+# my way over there. In Windows I'd have to Alt+Tab+Tab+Tab..., and every time I did this, the number of tabs would vary. Uuugh.

Oh and +1 for Vimperator. And Vim, for that matter.

Also, check out Gnome Do.
http://aligulac.com || Barcraft Switzerland! || Zerg best race. || Stats-poster extraordinaire.
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 18:38:45
February 28 2010 18:33 GMT
#24
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2010 00:16 Chef wrote:
Oh, I thought this would be tips on how to use that stupid pad thing... I already use shortcuts since I don't like scanning thru folders. Every program I use has a shortcut in win32. For browsing files (and internet) I hold alt and use arrow keys. That's about all you need to know to make the mouse useless outside of games.


I prefer slickrun to run/x32 since it's basically the same thing except alot of extra functionality. Backing up the hotkeys is one file, easier to add/change keywords, can choose to start minimized etc etc. You can tweak it so your current added shortcuts work with slickrun (forgot how though).

Not sure how you use arrows in the browser? Please clarify this!

I like run because it comes with windows... I don't know what extra functionality you need lol. I don't really like to have unnecessary programs running in the background anyway, since my computer doesn't have much RAM and I use it to encode videos a lot so extra processes would make that take more time.

Hold alt. Press left arrow key, you go 'back' to where you were before. Press right arrow key, you go forward. Backspace is the same as 'up one level.' Enter obviously enters a folder or executes a file. Alphanumeric keys will move you files that start with that character (first in order of folders, then in order of files) and from there you can just use arrow keys to very quickly get to the file you want to open. Windowkey + E to start window browser... etc etc etc. F2 is very nice for renaming files. Apart from that I don't really use other shortcuts very often, except for ones I've created for Run
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 19:09:17
February 28 2010 19:06 GMT
#25
In Windows you can use stuff like FreeCommander or TotalCommander to browse/manage your files easily without mouse. And the additional functionality they provide (ftp for example) is worth more than any number of "quicklaunchers".

Just to name a few:


Main features in FreeCommander:

* Dual-panel technology - horizontal and vertical
* Tabbed interface
* Optional tree view for each panel
* Built in file viewer to view files in hex, binary, text or image format
* File viewer inside archives too
* Built in archive handling: ZIP (read, write), CAB (read, write), RAR (read)
* Nested archive handling
* Built in FTP client
* Easy access to system folders, control panel, desktop and start menu
* Copy, move, delete, rename files and folders
* Multi rename tool
* Wipe files
* Create and verify MD5 checksums
* File splitting
* File properties and context menu
* Calculation of folder size
* Folder comparison / synchronization
* Modification of file date and attributes
* Folder / program favorites
* File searching (inside archive too)
* File filters for display
* User defined columns for detailed view
* DOS command line
* Multiple language support
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
HazMat
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States17077 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 19:26:39
February 28 2010 19:25 GMT
#26
On March 01 2010 01:20 Aim Here wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2010 01:10 HazMat wrote:
Is there a way to click on a bookmark in firefox using the keyboard?


Alt+B (notice that the B in Bookmarks is underlined which is a clue), then navigate up and down with the cursor keys, then hit enter when you're on the right bookmark.

Meant those bookmarks (That's what I call them)
[image loading]


The ones that say Facebook, teamliquid etc.. And you just click on them.
www.youtube.com/user/ShakeDrizzle | League and SSBM content creator | Armada's Youtube Editor
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 19:59:21
February 28 2010 19:41 GMT
#27
On March 01 2010 03:33 Chef wrote:
I like run because it comes with windows... I don't know what extra functionality you need lol. I don't really like to have unnecessary programs running in the background anyway, since my computer doesn't have much RAM and I use it to encode videos a lot so extra processes would make that take more time.

Run is great indeed I've posted here numerous times telling people how good making custom shortcuts and using run is. I also wrote a program in java that added "add to run" as a choice when you right click. When you pressed that it automatically made a .url file(learning how to make .lnk files was to much work :p) inside %SystemRoot%system32 pointing towards that program and you got an inputfield asking for the shortcuts name.

But one day I wanted a better overview of all my shortcuts, easier remove/edit/backup/add (for example the command "Setup") Not saying it's a revolutionary change, goes quickly to put shortcuts into system32 but for me it's definitely easier now. With slickrun I got that and a few other things I really like.

Jot - opens a textarea. you can drag and drop any text or type anything here. The best "sticky note" kind of fuction I've ever encountered.

Multiwords - One word that executes many commands.

Browse magic words - You can right click and overview your magicwords and select one. Useful when I forget what to type lol.

Close a process - Theres a kill.exe plugin to slickrun that takes a process name as a parameter, basically I can type "kill utorrent" in slickrun and it shuts down utorrent.

Hold alt. Press left arrow key, you go 'back' to where you were before. Press right arrow key, you go forward. Backspace is the same as 'up one level.' Enter obviously enters a folder or executes a file. Alphanumeric keys will move you files that start with that character (first in order of folders, then in order of files) and from there you can just use arrow keys to very quickly get to the file you want to open. Windowkey + E to start window browser... etc etc etc. F2 is very nice for renaming files. Apart from that I don't really use other shortcuts very often, except for ones I've created for Run


Yeah those are all good things I use most of them. But it's not everything you need, it only helps you navigate to different website, but to, for example navigate into a specific topic and then the last page of that topic and then into the text area so you can post you need an addon like gleebox.

On March 01 2010 04:06 Manit0u wrote:
In Windows you can use stuff like FreeCommander or TotalCommander to browse/manage your files easily without mouse. And the additional functionality they provide (ftp for example) is worth more than any number of "quicklaunchers".

Just to name a few:

Show nested quote +

Main features in FreeCommander:

* Dual-panel technology - horizontal and vertical
* Tabbed interface
* Optional tree view for each panel
* Built in file viewer to view files in hex, binary, text or image format
* File viewer inside archives too
* Built in archive handling: ZIP (read, write), CAB (read, write), RAR (read)
* Nested archive handling
* Built in FTP client
* Easy access to system folders, control panel, desktop and start menu
* Copy, move, delete, rename files and folders
* Multi rename tool
* Wipe files
* Create and verify MD5 checksums
* File splitting
* File properties and context menu
* Calculation of folder size
* Folder comparison / synchronization
* Modification of file date and attributes
* Folder / program favorites
* File searching (inside archive too)
* File filters for display
* User defined columns for detailed view
* DOS command line
* Multiple language support


I really like the windows GUI and I try to use it as much as possible since at work, at others computers etc I'm bound to it anyways. But I admit such programs definitely has their charm and I will definitely look into one of those because the file transfer protocol in windows is bad.

On March 01 2010 04:25 HazMat wrote:
Meant those bookmarks (That's what I call them)
[image loading]


The ones that say Facebook, teamliquid etc.. And you just click on them.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10127

The closest inbuilt is adding keywords. If you ad keyword "fb" to your facebook bookmark and you typ fb into the awesome bar it will open fb.
MamiyaOtaru
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States1687 Posts
February 28 2010 20:53 GMT
#28
love the keyboard. If anyone is wondering, it came from ehre: http://www.datamancer.net/vonslattkeyboard/vonslattkeyboard.htm
gaizka
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States991 Posts
February 28 2010 21:37 GMT
#29
I run vista on my laptop, the thing I hate the most of it is that ctrl+alt+del does not bring up the task manager. I was using windows+r with taskmgr for quick access, but it didn't feel right. I recently discovered that ctrl+alt+esc ALSO brings the task manager, which makes me so happy :D
Apexplayer
Profile Joined September 2009
United States406 Posts
February 28 2010 21:47 GMT
#30
I love you, i actually got frustrated that the computer isn't setup like SC XD Im gonna use this XD
dangots0ul
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States919 Posts
March 01 2010 04:18 GMT
#31
On February 28 2010 22:58 lavion wrote:
good skill toi have indeed


i laffed
i type teamliquid into the url subconsciously... all...the...time...
ynk
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5 Posts
March 01 2010 04:25 GMT
#32
On February 28 2010 22:55 Patriot.dlk wrote:

Windows 7 shortcuts
These are just very sweet. Study them carefully.
Win+space (peaks at desktop), win+1 (launches a new instance of first taskbar shortcut. win+2 the next one to the right etc.

win+b focuses the system tray icons - one of the key features that makes my mouse collect dust. Basically - there is a ton of new stuff. Read up and learn!


Thanks for the OP! I am a big fan of not using the mouse. But what does Win-B do? I tried it a couple times and can't figure it out. I also tried googling it without any results.

On March 01 2010 06:37 gaizka wrote:
I run vista on my laptop, the thing I hate the most of it is that ctrl+alt+del does not bring up the task manager. I was using windows+r with taskmgr for quick access, but it didn't feel right. I recently discovered that ctrl+alt+esc ALSO brings the task manager, which makes me so happy :D


I am running Win 7, and I also had the same complaint. But on Win7, it's ctrl-shift-esc, not alt. Don't know if vista is different from 7 in this regard.
StayFrosty
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada743 Posts
March 01 2010 04:48 GMT
#33
great guide on firefox, thanks
kaleidoscope
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Singapore2887 Posts
March 01 2010 04:55 GMT
#34
Wow.. Really good.. Usually i just remember Cntrl-L for keying into the address bar, since it applies to most browsers.. I think i need to practice on being mouseless, since i afraid that my mouse may die on me anytime soon (dropped it yesterday, and it's getting a little cranky.. Havent got the money for a good new mouse)
대지따라 돌린게 시간이다.. 흘러가고 돌아오지도 않고..
b0lt
Profile Joined March 2009
United States790 Posts
March 01 2010 19:19 GMT
#35
Executor is basically an updated slickrun with more features and less crashing
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-01 19:53:08
March 01 2010 19:50 GMT
#36
On March 01 2010 13:25 ynk wrote:
Thanks for the OP! I am a big fan of not using the mouse. But what does Win-B do? I tried it a couple times and can't figure it out. I also tried googling it without any results.


It focuses the system tray (you know down by the clock) so you can use the cursor keys down there.

On March 01 2010 13:48 StayFrosty wrote:
great guide on firefox, thanks


Actually I covered it very briefly but no problem =) And to all other appreciations and contributions thanks!!!

On March 02 2010 04:19 b0lt wrote:
Executor is basically an updated slickrun with more features and less crashing


Never got around to checking it out back when I decided to find such an app all though I remember reading about it. It's actually listed as an alternative under "more" Gonna check it out for sure. One thing though, you grabbed "less crashing" out of your arse for all I know it never crashes.
toopham
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States551 Posts
March 01 2010 19:52 GMT
#37
I'm more interested at the golden keyboard more than the guide itself.
WHERE CAN I GET ONE!?
DIE!!!
onmach
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1241 Posts
March 01 2010 19:55 GMT
#38
I use xmonad and vimperator with linux at work. I wouldn't trade them for the world.

I can browse really fast and manipulate my entire desktop and all windows without issue. The only thing that doesn't work well with this desktop is my windows virtualbox (required for outlook and office), which doesn't work well for obvious reasons.

I'm skeptical about how well windows can emulate this functionality, but I bet it can get pretty close.
BluzMan
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Russian Federation4235 Posts
March 01 2010 21:00 GMT
#39
cmd
You want 20 good men, but you need a bad pussy.
LordWeird
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States3411 Posts
March 01 2010 21:08 GMT
#40
About 5 years ago I spent like 8 months using only the keyboard. I learned a lot of random things. There was a lot of pressing tab and space, haha
Chains none
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O114
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19484
Calm 2127
Shuttle 320
Mini 177
White-Ra 176
ZZZero.O 114
firebathero 71
soO 10
Sacsri 6
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1491
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5163
Liquid`Hasu650
Other Games
summit1g7690
Liquid`RaSZi2254
FrodaN2074
fl0m1342
RotterdaM427
crisheroes255
IndyStarCraft 229
Pyrionflax214
Livibee209
Mew2King54
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick946
BasetradeTV185
StarCraft 2
angryscii 19
EmSc Tv 19
EmSc2Tv 19
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 27
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki44
• blackmanpl 30
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1783
• Shiphtur682
• WagamamaTV379
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 18m
Replay Cast
2h 18m
OSC
15h 18m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 14h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.