• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:22
CEST 02:22
KST 09:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8850 users

Diplomacy, the board game - Page 2

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 Next All
HamerD
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom1922 Posts
June 02 2009 16:31 GMT
#21
would be funny to do this with each player actually being from the country he's playing xD
"Oh no, we've drawn Judge Schneider" "Is that bad?" "Well, he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog" "You did?" "Yeah...if you replace the word *kinda* with *repeatedly*...and the word *dog* with son"
Blind
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
United States2529 Posts
June 02 2009 16:36 GMT
#22
I've been confusing this game with Risk. I've wanted to play both but never had the chance. What's the difference between these two games?
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
June 02 2009 16:37 GMT
#23
On June 03 2009 01:36 Blind wrote:
I've been confusing this game with Risk. I've wanted to play both but never had the chance. What's the difference between these two games?


Risk is an army simulation.
Diplomacy is a diplomatic one.

It's a difference way too big to explain in a post to be honest. Risk is more about proper defense and conquering... Diplomacy is more about lying your way to victory.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
Luddite
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States2315 Posts
June 02 2009 16:53 GMT
#24
On June 03 2009 01:36 Blind wrote:
I've been confusing this game with Risk. I've wanted to play both but never had the chance. What's the difference between these two games?

What Jayme said, but also, Risk is a much more offensive game. You attack constantly, and kill off massive armies. It's not uncommon to conquer almost all of someone's territory in one turn, and then have them come right back on their turn, especially late in the game.

Diplomacy, on the other hand, is more defensive. It's very easy to get stuck into a stalemate, especially if you're fighting someone one-on-one. It's based one WW1, after all. Killing an army in Diplomacy is almost meaningless. On the other hand, if a war starts to move against you, it's very hard to make a comeback, unless someone else steps in to assist you.
Can't believe I'm still here playing this same game
Falcynn
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3597 Posts
June 02 2009 17:02 GMT
#25
Damn it, got stuck with France (the only country I have zero experience with)

Ah well, this'll give me a chance to learn how to play them. Should probably start looking up some guides though.
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
June 02 2009 17:15 GMT
#26
Hells yeah!

I've played Diplomacy IRL at RPG conventions some times, and while a single game can take forever, it's quite awesome. I LOVE the fact that there are no dice involved.
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Luddite
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States2315 Posts
June 02 2009 17:19 GMT
#27
On June 03 2009 01:31 HamerD wrote:
would be funny to do this with each player actually being from the country he's playing xD

That would be fun... good luck finding someone from the Ottoman Empire or Austria-Hungary, though.

I guess us USA players would just wait till the game is almost over, then control a few armies in France? lol.
Can't believe I'm still here playing this same game
slained
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada966 Posts
June 02 2009 17:22 GMT
#28

Diplomacy seems fun, I gotta check it out.

I've been playing a lot of a game called Agricola, #1 rated board game, on varoius webpages like boardgamegeeks.com. It's more complex and full of strategy. Settlers is a good boardgame too, but definately not as strategical. I'd recommend sc players try agricola as well.
stenole
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Norway869 Posts
June 02 2009 17:32 GMT
#29
On June 03 2009 02:02 Falcynn wrote:
Damn it, got stuck with France (the only country I have zero experience with)

Ah well, this'll give me a chance to learn how to play them. Should probably start looking up some guides though.

You can always ask Germany for advice. Ze Germans are always willing to help out their friends.
Luddite
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States2315 Posts
June 02 2009 17:35 GMT
#30
On June 03 2009 02:32 stenole wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2009 02:02 Falcynn wrote:
Damn it, got stuck with France (the only country I have zero experience with)

Ah well, this'll give me a chance to learn how to play them. Should probably start looking up some guides though.

You can always ask Germany for advice. Ze Germans are always willing to help out their friends.

Don't listen to him. The best way to play France is to attack Germany with everything you have,right from the beginning
Can't believe I'm still here playing this same game
Macavenger
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1132 Posts
June 02 2009 19:06 GMT
#31
On June 03 2009 02:35 Luddite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2009 02:32 stenole wrote:
On June 03 2009 02:02 Falcynn wrote:
Damn it, got stuck with France (the only country I have zero experience with)

Ah well, this'll give me a chance to learn how to play them. Should probably start looking up some guides though.

You can always ask Germany for advice. Ze Germans are always willing to help out their friends.

Don't listen to him. The best way to play France is to attack Germany with everything you have,right from the beginning

The English heartily agree with this idea. ^^
Macavenger
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1132 Posts
June 02 2009 19:24 GMT
#32
Also, I'm probably jsut being blind, but I'm not seeing an easy way to send messages to other players on phpdiplomacy; maybe that's something that activates once the game actually starts? Should we just conduct diplomacy by PM here on TL?
stenole
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Norway869 Posts
June 02 2009 19:27 GMT
#33
I can only assume that there is a way to send messages once the game starts. But I don't think there is a problem using TL PMs instead or as well.
Falcynn
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3597 Posts
June 02 2009 19:31 GMT
#34
Well until the game starts I'll just start sending PMs through TL.

Need to get a head start on deciding where to go first.
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
June 02 2009 19:32 GMT
#35
I'm in. Just waiting on the last 2 now.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
Macavenger
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1132 Posts
June 02 2009 21:05 GMT
#36
So checking the player list against the posts in this thread, it looks like everyone except Cube has played before, which is good. Cube, please do really sit down for an hour or two and study the rules in the next day or so as we get started, as they're pretty nuanced and it's a lot more fun if everyone understands what's going on.

I probably have more experience adjudicating Diplomacy than actually playing, so I consider myself relatively well versed in how things work out. If anyone has any questions or wants to bounce any examples around before we really get started, I'd be happy to answer questions.
Megalisk
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States6095 Posts
June 02 2009 21:18 GMT
#37
Diplomacy is awesome, I'm currently engaged in a game at school, although according to my friend I "play only to betray and piss people off", I love the negotiation aspect of the game.
Tear stained american saints and dirty guitar dreams across a universe of desert and blue sky , gas station coffee love letters and two dollar pistol kisses from thirty five dollar hotel room stationary .
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
June 03 2009 03:13 GMT
#38
Looks like we've all signed in. We have the wrong countries though.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
Macavenger
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1132 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-03 03:24:47
June 03 2009 03:16 GMT
#39
Yeah, I PM'd Stenole a while ago that looking at the interface, I was afraid it might just assign us random powers. :/

Do we want to just play it out like it is, or try to find a different solution? IIRC most of us said we'd play any power, so I'm guessing there shouldn't be a huge problem playing it out, other than that the diplomacy we'd started by PM is all void now. :p
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-03 03:20:14
June 03 2009 03:19 GMT
#40
Is it possible to still reassign people? I didn't look through the interface at all.

I don't mind playing as France if that's what we choose to do, but we'll see what can be done when Stenole wakes up.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 211
SpeCial 135
ViBE97
Nathanias 66
ProTech29
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12169
Rain 1521
GuemChi 976
Artosis 672
Bale 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever407
Counter-Strike
minikerr2
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox849
Mew2King98
Other Games
summit1g6480
shahzam714
WinterStarcraft480
JimRising 415
C9.Mang0323
Trikslyr52
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick739
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream47
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 97
• davetesta21
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur292
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
9h 38m
INu's Battles
10h 38m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
12h 38m
OSC
21h 53m
Replay Cast
22h 38m
OSC
1d 22h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.