• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:55
CEST 10:55
KST 17:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8216 users

Diplomacy, the board game - Page 12

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 All
MisteR
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Netherlands595 Posts
July 15 2009 10:20 GMT
#221
Very interesting, these after game thoughts! Is there a third game incoming?
Nal_Ra/Much/Horang2/Flying fighting!~
Luddite
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States2315 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-15 15:19:47
July 15 2009 15:19 GMT
#222
Here are my thoughts, as England.
+ Show Spoiler +
In our first game, I was Italy, and I had been frustratingly stuck at 4 centers for pretty much the whole game. I knew there was a possibility of that happening to England, too, and I was determined not to let that happen. I decide on a make or break strategy- attack France with everything I had, right from the beginning. France is a hard country to invade, though, so I needed help. I decided to get Italy as an ally, partly because he had been a good ally in the first game, and partly because we could split up France between us with a nice buffer zone. I was lucky enough that my opening moves against France succeeded almost perfectly, and even luckier that Russia moved against Germany, which distracted him while me and Italy finished off France.

I had told Russia that I'd help him take Sweden, and at the time I was sincere, but then I changed my mind and decided to take St. Petersburg. I'm not sure if that was really a good move, since I didn't need the extra build at the time, and it forced Russia to ally with Germany against me. It was fun though .

After that it seemed like I had no choice but to attack Germany. I could have stabbed Italy then, maybe, but it would have been very difficult- the western Med is a real bottleneck! And I knew that Austria and Germany were working together, so I was hoping for Italy and Austria to be stuck in a stalemate while I finished off Germany. Actually I had been expecting Austria to win that battle, since he was larger, but I underestimated just how dangerous Turkey is even with only 3 centers. That really helped me a lot, I hadn't been expecting a solo victory until that happened.

My fight against Germany was a lot of fun. Luckily he didn't react against me until I invaded holland. After that, there was a lot of guesswork involved, trying to predict where he'd defend and whether or not he'd counterattack. Having Denmark was crucial for me, since it split his forces in half, but I was always terrified of losing that army. But once Germany was finished, it was just a matter of getting across the stalemate line, and Italy didn't have enough fleets to stop me from getting into the Mediterranean.
Can't believe I'm still here playing this same game
stenole
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Norway869 Posts
July 15 2009 16:24 GMT
#223
On July 15 2009 19:20 MisteR wrote:
Very interesting, these after game thoughts! Is there a third game incoming?


I won't be able to be in game 3 because I'll have more than a few days that I can't log on in the near future. Macavenger was talking about starting a game 3, so you should PM him to see if he has people lined up to play. I assume you wanted to play.
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-16 01:12:43
July 16 2009 01:08 GMT
#224
On July 16 2009 00:19 Luddite wrote:
Actually I had been expecting Austria to win that battle


No faith in your ally.

Stenole did a brilliant job tactically as Austria. I was foolishly hoping to beat him without letting Turkey loose, but even after I realized that wasn't going to happen, he still managed to prevent me from helping Turkey for an extra year. Ultimately, neither of our starting positions were defensible. I played for second place; he played for a draw, but I wasn't accommodating because I didn't think it was right to cheat Luddite of a victory just because everyone remaining was apathetic.

People not finalizing their turns really hurt the game. I like having a full day for diplomacy, and of course due to time zones having turns any shorter wouldn't be feasible. However, dragging out the retreat and placing phases dragged the game on so long that people stopped caring. That first weekend where we spent all Friday on a diplomacy phase (no problem) followed by Saturday for retreats and Sunday for unit placing was ridiculous. Waiting that long for retreat orders is unacceptable, especially when there are no valid retreats for a unit! I'm not terribly interested in another game, but if we do, I hope turns move more swiftly.

+ Show Spoiler +
We spent 32 days to get through 23 diplomacy phases.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
Falcynn
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3597 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-16 01:26:44
July 16 2009 01:24 GMT
#225
Yeah, that was pretty ridiculous, and of course I say that realizing that I was the cause of much of the delays near the end of the game Although after all of the previous delays I got in the habit of checking in on the game only once a day (and sometimes not at all...I really do apologize for that) rather than 12 times a day like the previous game.

I'd possibly be up for another game, but if we do another game we should schedule certain days and times where everyone will be logged in so we can bust out a few years in one day hopefully.
Falcynn
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3597 Posts
July 23 2009 05:15 GMT
#226
Alright, anyone up for making another game? Except for Saturday and Sunday mornings I'm gonna have a lot of free time through out the week now. So I'm hoping if we get a game fast enough we can play through at least a few turns/years this Friday, then try to play at least 1-2 turns per day after that. I'll keep the pace set to 24 hours since life calls, but if anyone's up for a game either PM me or post here.
CaptainPlatypus
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States852 Posts
July 27 2009 06:50 GMT
#227
I haven't read any of this thread but I fucking love diplomacy, count me in if there's a game coming. Cue me reading back to figure out what format you're using.
Prev 1 10 11 12 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 5m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1181
GuemChi 631
Hyun 494
firebathero 416
BeSt 328
Leta 216
Soma 192
Mong 147
Hyuk 139
Shine 99
[ Show more ]
PianO 63
Hm[arnc] 57
910 49
sSak 47
Bale 24
ZergMaN 23
yabsab 21
HiyA 19
Shinee 18
Noble 13
Sharp 5
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1273
shoxiejesuss785
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King344
Other Games
summit1g8582
gofns5025
ceh9634
JimRising 439
KnowMe137
Trikslyr32
Pyrionflax2
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick445
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos794
• Stunt418
Other Games
• Shiphtur431
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h 5m
Patches Events
7h 5m
The PondCast
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 2h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.