• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:13
CEST 21:13
KST 04:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9954 users

[Game] Osu! - Page 39

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 37 38 39 40 41 370 Next
VelkanKnight
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States69 Posts
March 02 2011 12:18 GMT
#761
On March 02 2011 17:10 Space Invader wrote:
1. high hp drain - nothing irks me more than hitting at S 90% through a beatmap then losing because i missed 2 (literally, just 2) beats, or missing a beat and then losing because I didn't hit perfect 300 katu on the next 3 combos.


definitely, I absolutely can't stand that... I don't have high accuracy to begin with so it doesn't help me out at all...

on the flip side... (or fripside... ) I love TAG4 maps I always end up watching people play them solo... it's comforting to know that Cookiezi is indeed a human and can miss notes too :D

maps like IOSYS - Cirno's Perfect Math Class and Nico Nico Douga - U.N. Owen wa Kanojo Nanoka?
Member of Konadora's "Loli is not a crime" Brigade! ^-^
Jayme
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States5866 Posts
March 02 2011 12:47 GMT
#762
On March 02 2011 17:10 Space Invader wrote:
2 things I absolutely just abhor about an osu beatmap:

1. high hp drain - nothing irks me more than hitting at S 90% through a beatmap then losing because i missed 2 (literally, just 2) beats, or missing a beat and then losing because I didn't hit perfect 300 katu on the next 3 combos.

2. long breaks without any beats but not pausing hp drain

They basically require that you're at a perfect score the entire time, I don't see the fun in that for anyone with less skill. You should be able to pass every beatmap with a D or very least with a C.


This is the reason I quit playing the game. Well your first point.

This arbitrary difficulty where if you hit anything less than 300 you're actually losing HP is ridiculous. This became so prevalent that I just had to stop playing. The long pauses were less of an issue but I agree with you on those as well.

I really hated the way OSU! was scored though. It meant that the notes in the middle were worth multiple orders of magnitude more than ones at the beginning or at the end. If you miss one beat and everything else is the same you should have the SAME SCORE.

Instead if I miss a beat in the middle of the song your score is immediately shit with no way to recover.
Python is garbage, number 1 advocate of getting rid of it.
JSH
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States4109 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-02 14:08:41
March 02 2011 14:08 GMT
#763
Most songs now seem to be pretty fair in their HP drain
But yeah I know what your talking about

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/14464
Ugh this one had me frustrated for so long

I dunno about the scoring system
I think it makes sense in a way because most rhythm games scores are based on how many consecutive notes you press

Still, what's worse is if you almost perfect that one song and then you miss one near the end...
That makes me sad :<
"It's called a miracle because it doesn't happen" - Just like my chances of reaching C- on ICCUP
Fallacy
Profile Joined September 2010
United States227 Posts
March 02 2011 15:05 GMT
#764
Do you mean the scoring system in the middle as in the more combo you have the more points you get, so if you mess up in the middle you're essentially screwed score wise?
Stand up for what you believe in even if it means standing alone.
ebacho
Profile Joined July 2009
United States193 Posts
March 02 2011 15:20 GMT
#765
Personally, I think the scoring system is fine. If it wasn't like that, there'd be no way to differentiate between the good players and the god tier players.

About drain, you guys should try and play with Hard Rock sometimes. Then you'll see the meaning of real brutal drain.
Proud member of TL's osufam
MegaManEXE
Profile Joined September 2010
United States845 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-02 15:39:19
March 02 2011 15:34 GMT
#766
I understand the hate for the scoring system, seeing as I'm a former DDR/ITG player and people would never base their skill on "full comboing" something, it's always based on how much percentage of the notes you hit correctly, and while arrows toward the end of a song were worth more points, the scoring was not based on your combo but rather your overall accuracy in general.

osu is trying to be authentic to the DS games though in terms of scoring, which is why it's combo-based. I don't have a big problem with it because it promotes being accurate and being able to hit all the notes and maintain a combo and high accuracy. But yes it's extremely frustrating when you get a bullshit miss or slider break in the middle and end up with a great play on a song but your score is low. It's even more annoying to get it near the end because if you lose out on having a big combo for the last 10-20 notes of a song you can lose out on 300k~ points easily.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]


:/
Obscura.304
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
150 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-02 15:46:53
March 02 2011 15:41 GMT
#767
On March 02 2011 17:10 Space Invader wrote:
2 things I absolutely just abhor about an osu beatmap:

1. high hp drain - nothing irks me more than hitting at S 90% through a beatmap then losing because i missed 2 (literally, just 2) beats, or missing a beat and then losing because I didn't hit perfect 300 katu on the next 3 combos.

2. long breaks without any beats but not pausing hp drain

They basically require that you're at a perfect score the entire time, I don't see the fun in that for anyone with less skill. You should be able to pass every beatmap with a D or very least with a C.

Yeah, both of those are annoying. Case 1 is rare (or at least its rare that drain is troublesome for the whole map), but I'm amazed at how often I run into maps that have a slow section where they don't vary the colors enough, so even if you're hitting 300s all the way through the section, you can't keep up with drain, so you have to enter the section with full health or you die. I always find myself thinking "wtf, did this moron test this?" when I see that, followed quickly by completing it at its easiest difficulty (frequently at double-time, to speed up the tedium) so I can vote it 1 star it and then delete it.

on the flip side... (or fripside... ) I love TAG4 maps I always end up watching people play them solo... it's comforting to know that Cookiezi is indeed a human and can miss notes too :D


I don't know, this doesn't make Cookiezi look any more mortal to me...

I don't know what's funnier- the chat, or whatching him scroll up the high scores.
JSH
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States4109 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-02 15:53:43
March 02 2011 15:49 GMT
#768
On March 03 2011 00:41 Obscura.304 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K31BYeLNJ0&feature=related

I don't know, this doesn't make Cookiezi look any more mortal to me...

I don't know what's funnier- the chat, or whatching him scroll up the high scores.


That's scary D:

Question: On flashlight, do you have to practically memorize the beatmap?
I don't understand how Lybydose does all those D:
"It's called a miracle because it doesn't happen" - Just like my chances of reaching C- on ICCUP
whiteLotus
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
1833 Posts
March 02 2011 15:54 GMT
#769
On March 03 2011 00:41 Obscura.304 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K31BYeLNJ0&feature=related
I don't know, this doesn't make Cookiezi look any more mortal to me...

I don't know what's funnier- the chat, or whatching him scroll up the high scores.


how the F you can hit this fast LOL
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
VelkanKnight
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States69 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-02 16:54:43
March 02 2011 16:45 GMT
#770
On March 03 2011 00:41 Obscura.304 wrote:

Show nested quote +
on the flip side... (or fripside... ) I love TAG4 maps I always end up watching people play them solo... it's comforting to know that Cookiezi is indeed a human and can miss notes too :D


+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K31BYeLNJ0&feature=related

I don't know, this doesn't make Cookiezi look any more mortal to me...

I don't know what's funnier- the chat, or whatching him scroll up the high scores.


alright, maybe he's not a mortal... you got me there
but he still missed notes! xP
and I don't know if even 4 can beat that map o.o (when I mean that, I do mean 4 people at my skill)

*edit* so I just tried that map 5 times with no mods... i think my highest percentage was around 40%
needless to say I failed it quite easily
Member of Konadora's "Loli is not a crime" Brigade! ^-^
MegaManEXE
Profile Joined September 2010
United States845 Posts
March 02 2011 20:26 GMT
#771
On March 03 2011 01:45 VelkanKnight wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2011 00:41 Obscura.304 wrote:

on the flip side... (or fripside... ) I love TAG4 maps I always end up watching people play them solo... it's comforting to know that Cookiezi is indeed a human and can miss notes too :D


+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K31BYeLNJ0&feature=related

I don't know, this doesn't make Cookiezi look any more mortal to me...

I don't know what's funnier- the chat, or whatching him scroll up the high scores.


alright, maybe he's not a mortal... you got me there
but he still missed notes! xP
and I don't know if even 4 can beat that map o.o (when I mean that, I do mean 4 people at my skill)

*edit* so I just tried that map 5 times with no mods... i think my highest percentage was around 40%
needless to say I failed it quite easily


The end part I would say is pretty much impossible to full combo on your own, definitely possible with 4 people though
VelkanKnight
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States69 Posts
March 02 2011 22:28 GMT
#772
On March 03 2011 05:26 MegaManEXE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2011 01:45 VelkanKnight wrote:
On March 03 2011 00:41 Obscura.304 wrote:

on the flip side... (or fripside... ) I love TAG4 maps I always end up watching people play them solo... it's comforting to know that Cookiezi is indeed a human and can miss notes too :D


+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K31BYeLNJ0&feature=related

I don't know, this doesn't make Cookiezi look any more mortal to me...

I don't know what's funnier- the chat, or whatching him scroll up the high scores.


alright, maybe he's not a mortal... you got me there
but he still missed notes! xP
and I don't know if even 4 can beat that map o.o (when I mean that, I do mean 4 people at my skill)

*edit* so I just tried that map 5 times with no mods... i think my highest percentage was around 40%
needless to say I failed it quite easily


The end part I would say is pretty much impossible to full combo on your own, definitely possible with 4 people though


yeah I meant if there was 4 of me or something like that, that the 4 of me could never pull it off right now ^^;;
it would be quite awesome to see gameplay of 4 people doing the ending, would be fun, especially if they 100% it! xP

and off subject, I beat my first 5 star song with hidden! (Wind God Girl [Lunatic]) ^-^
not an S but still very happy about it!
yay me! :D
Member of Konadora's "Loli is not a crime" Brigade! ^-^
Char711
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States862 Posts
March 03 2011 02:29 GMT
#773
I'm ashamed to admit that, before reading a small part of this thread, I was operating on the assumption that you could basically only use the left mouse button in game.

I have no idea how I've passed some of what I've passed now.
"If you can chill, chill." -Liquid`Tyler "Special tactics." -White-Ra
ebacho
Profile Joined July 2009
United States193 Posts
March 03 2011 03:53 GMT
#774
Obviously the answer to bad accuracy is more mods.

[image loading]
Proud member of TL's osufam
Logginurkeyz
Profile Joined September 2010
United States375 Posts
March 03 2011 05:07 GMT
#775
On March 03 2011 12:53 ebacho wrote:
Obviously the answer to bad accuracy is more mods.


hehe, i did the same thing with snsd - be happy [hard]!
i was ranked 25th for my hidden/hardrock... so close to getting the FC with flashlight as well... 96% accuracy up to the last 20 notes, then slider breaking my combo =0\
Jemag... Jemag... you're like an alcoholic telling me why you drink... you have your reasons, but it's still bad... <3 iNcontroL
Char711
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States862 Posts
March 03 2011 05:15 GMT
#776
I'd also like to +1 the health drain and general bad health pacing stuff. It absolutely infuriates me. It's the biggest problem I have with the game other than the incredibly bad rating system (I'm at that point where "insane" difficulties are either easy, perfect or OMGWTFBBQ).
"If you can chill, chill." -Liquid`Tyler "Special tactics." -White-Ra
Char711
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States862 Posts
March 03 2011 06:03 GMT
#777
Okay, I have a questions for you, my fellow osu!ers:

How did you train yourself to use the keyboard?

As a pure left mouse button user, I've tried alternating 'z' and 'x' in order to be able to go really fast later (this isn't as bad for me as it might for some people since I play the viola and my left hand fingers are used to stuff like this).

Needless to say, it's a bit weird. I can somewhat do the same difficulty levels, but I usually hit in the 70%s and fail partway through. I can do the lower difficulties and score Bs pretty easily, though.

Any suggestions on how to train this type of thing?
"If you can chill, chill." -Liquid`Tyler "Special tactics." -White-Ra
Obscura.304
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
150 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-03 06:09:12
March 03 2011 06:08 GMT
#778
My other big map pet peeves are when people use stacking in annoying ways. Either they put a hit-circle at the start of a slider so it's hard to tell whether the hit circle or the slider comes first, they put two identically shaped sliders on top of each other, or they'll do patterns like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 where 3 and 5 are stacked under 1.

All of those are insanely hard to sight read, and basically require that you memorize that section of the chart. Ztrot and NatsumeRin seem to be particularly bad offenders with this (I actually usually can't even clear Natsume's 4 star maps, just because his stuff is invariably so hard to read).
prototype.
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada4215 Posts
March 03 2011 06:16 GMT
#779
On March 03 2011 15:08 Obscura.304 wrote:
My other big map pet peeves are when people use stacking in annoying ways. Either they put a hit-circle at the start of a slider so it's hard to tell whether the hit circle or the slider comes first, they put two identically shaped sliders on top of each other, or they'll do patterns like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 where 3 and 5 are stacked under 1.

All of those are insanely hard to sight read, and basically require that you memorize that section of the chart. Ztrot and NatsumeRin seem to be particularly bad offenders with this (I actually usually can't even clear Natsume's 4 star maps, just because his stuff is invariably so hard to read).

You'll get used to it the more you play. I felt the same way when I first started.
( ・´ー・`)
Char711
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States862 Posts
March 03 2011 06:44 GMT
#780
On March 03 2011 15:16 prototype. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2011 15:08 Obscura.304 wrote:
My other big map pet peeves are when people use stacking in annoying ways. Either they put a hit-circle at the start of a slider so it's hard to tell whether the hit circle or the slider comes first, they put two identically shaped sliders on top of each other, or they'll do patterns like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 where 3 and 5 are stacked under 1.

All of those are insanely hard to sight read, and basically require that you memorize that section of the chart. Ztrot and NatsumeRin seem to be particularly bad offenders with this (I actually usually can't even clear Natsume's 4 star maps, just because his stuff is invariably so hard to read).

You'll get used to it the more you play. I felt the same way when I first started.

Agreed. It's weird, but things that used to completely flummox me in the beginning are now some strange type of muscle memory. Sometimes I swear to myself that I can't actually see on the screen what my hands are doing even when I haven't played the song before.
"If you can chill, chill." -Liquid`Tyler "Special tactics." -White-Ra
Prev 1 37 38 39 40 41 370 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
LiquipediaDiscussion
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
PRO & GOSU #2
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason181
BRAT_OK 68
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14214
Artosis 328
Mini 266
Dewaltoss 142
Mind 84
Hyun 44
ZZZero.O 41
Bale 23
NaDa 21
Dota 2
qojqva2840
420jenkins554
Counter-Strike
fl0m4036
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6555
Khaldor1304
Liquid`Hasu1026
MindelVK13
Other Games
summit1g4365
FrodaN1761
B2W.Neo788
byalli421
ToD157
QueenE67
Railgan46
Mew2King35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1159
BasetradeTV233
StarCraft 2
angryscii 37
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 39
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 26
• FirePhoenix7
• Azhi_Dahaki2
• niya90s 2
• FT.aCt)Sony1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3817
Other Games
• imaqtpie866
• Shiphtur274
• WagamamaTV248
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 47m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 47m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
15h 47m
Monday Night Weeklies
20h 47m
Replay Cast
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 15h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.