• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:26
CEST 13:26
KST 20:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10906 users

Liquid Civilization Announcement Discussion - Page 4

Forum Index > General Games
283 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14 15 Next All
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
October 22 2016 02:56 GMT
#61
At first, I thought about the post Introducing Liquid'WoW
And I looked through the dozen ways this could be some cognate of April Fool's day.

After it passed the filters, looks like a fun idea!
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
ExO_
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States2316 Posts
October 22 2016 03:11 GMT
#62
Mrgametheory:

Did you play NQ civ 5? I'm curious how you were chosen to lead this team, when I've never heard of you in the NQ civ 5 scene at all.
Leporello
Profile Joined January 2011
United States2845 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-10-22 03:25:34
October 22 2016 03:23 GMT
#63
Wow. That is awesome. Excited to see where this goes, even if I'm a little skeptical.
Big water
ExO_
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States2316 Posts
October 22 2016 03:26 GMT
#64
After talking with a few more members of the NQ community I have to ask what liquid is doing here. NQ (No Quitters) has been where competitive civ 5 players have played for years. The scene might be small but the competition is fierce. From what I can tell nobody even has a clue who mrgametheory is. He certainly isn't a rank 1 player in the Civ 5 scene.

Liquid certainly hasn't done its research, and this makes me question whether or not this is real or a joke.
Jett.Jack.Alvir
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada2250 Posts
October 22 2016 03:32 GMT
#65
No clue who mrgametheory is. Didn't know Civ5 had a comp scene. NQ? Yeah don't know that either.

This is all very interesting though. I feel like the first time I heard Koreans played BW professionally.

However, I have to say this doesn't seem super exciting. Granted I only played Civ 1-3, so I'm not involved in that scene at all.

And to answer ExO's question, they are here to compete. Just because you are from a community of comp Civ players, doesn't mean that your community is the only one to exist. I don't know any comp Civ communities, but perhaps there is more than just NQ?
ExO_
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States2316 Posts
October 22 2016 03:34 GMT
#66
On October 22 2016 12:32 Jett.Jack.Alvir wrote:
No clue who mrgametheory is. Didn't know Civ5 had a comp scene. NQ? Yeah don't know that either.

This is all very interesting though. I feel like the first time I heard Koreans played BW professionally.

However, I have to say this doesn't seem super exciting. Granted I only played Civ 1-3, so I'm not involved in that scene at all.

And to answer ExO's question, they are here to compete. Just because you are from a community of comp Civ players, doesn't mean that your community is the only one to exist. I don't know any comp Civ communities, but perhaps there is more than just NQ?


There might be. But I doubt anybody who has looked into playing civ 5 multiplayer competitively has managed to avoid hearing about NQ in some way. It's the only way to get stable games since public lobbies the host or another player will just leave when they are bored/irritated/etc... Not only that but every single big Civ 5 streamer is a member of NQ and has been for a long time.
DivinO
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States4796 Posts
October 22 2016 03:35 GMT
#67
Color me shocked, but best of luck!
LiquipediaBrain in my filth.
Jett.Jack.Alvir
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada2250 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-10-22 03:40:05
October 22 2016 03:36 GMT
#68
On October 22 2016 12:34 ExO_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2016 12:32 Jett.Jack.Alvir wrote:
No clue who mrgametheory is. Didn't know Civ5 had a comp scene. NQ? Yeah don't know that either.

This is all very interesting though. I feel like the first time I heard Koreans played BW professionally.

However, I have to say this doesn't seem super exciting. Granted I only played Civ 1-3, so I'm not involved in that scene at all.

And to answer ExO's question, they are here to compete. Just because you are from a community of comp Civ players, doesn't mean that your community is the only one to exist. I don't know any comp Civ communities, but perhaps there is more than just NQ?


There might be. But I doubt anybody who has looked into playing civ 5 multiplayer competitively has managed to avoid hearing about NQ in some way. It's the only way to get stable games since public lobbies the host or another player will just leave when they are bored/irritated/etc... Not only that but every single big Civ 5 streamer is a member of NQ and has been for a long time.

Well I'm incredibly new to this scene, so I will take your word for it. Anyways, from what you say, it sounds like TL are the new kids on the block. I will tune in to see what goes down.

Maybe the first tournament can be set up between TL and someone from NQ? It would sound like a great way to kick shit off.

edit: WTF I just re-read that announcement, and I didn't know TL had a Clash Royale team.... oh boy what constitutes esports must be a vague definition at best.
ShambhalaWar
Profile Joined August 2013
United States930 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-10-22 03:48:09
October 22 2016 03:46 GMT
#69
What in the actual fuck?

This just in... Romancing The Three Kingdoms (TEAM ANNOUNCEMENT!)
SetGuitarsToKill
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
Canada28396 Posts
October 22 2016 03:50 GMT
#70
I'm honestly curious what game TL is going to pick up next. You just never know anymore. Splatoon? I heard Nintendo wants to make that a thing.
Community News"As long as you have a warp prism you can't be bad at harassment" - Maru | @SetGuitars2Kill
Jett.Jack.Alvir
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada2250 Posts
October 22 2016 03:55 GMT
#71
Ok so I wanted to see what the hype was all about, and there is no way I can watch Civ 6 tournament.

I am a complete outsider to the game, so I watched a few different streams, and I have no clue what anyone is doing in that game. Also, it seems incredibly boring to watch. I am not a fan of Michael Bay's movies, but they provide a level of entertainment I can expect (violence, gratuitous sexy scenes, homosexual jokes, racial stereotypes, etc.) I don't think an esport should be like a Michael Bay movie, but for crying out loud I have more fun watching decrepit ancients in wheelchairs play a game of bridge.

Now of course these are randoms streaming their shit on the internet, so I can't expect it to be informative or exciting, but these tournaments better have something of value, because right now any Civ 6 stream is boring as fuck.
Jaaaaasper
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States10225 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-10-22 03:57:48
October 22 2016 03:57 GMT
#72
I assume that this means that 2k is going to try to make competitive civ a thing, which is interesting. I'm also curious how someone who people who people who play competitive has never heard of is called the top civ 5 player.

also want to buy liquid boes
Hey do you want to hear a joke? Chinese production value. | I thought he had a aegis- Ayesee | When did 7ing mad last have a good game, 2012?
Jett.Jack.Alvir
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada2250 Posts
October 22 2016 04:03 GMT
#73
I have this itchy feeling Civ 6 is going to be like golf. Watching it makes you want to bath in an army of fire ants, but playing it is rather fun.

On October 22 2016 12:57 Jaaaaasper wrote:
I assume that this means that 2k is going to try to make competitive civ a thing, which is interesting. I'm also curious how someone who people who people who play competitive has never heard of is called the top civ 5 player.

also want to buy liquid boes

Yeah it is interesting that TL would pick up a guy that seems to be a complete nobody to the competitive Civ scene.

They did provide a cv of Mrgametheory in that announcement, but at least someone from within the community must have heard of him. Mind you, being a pro Clash Royale player isn't something you should polish and pin to your chest.

Regardless, I will tune in just to see what its all about.
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
October 22 2016 04:15 GMT
#74
I love civilization and have been playing since civ 2, but the games taking so long is a big hurdle to overcome if people are going to be watching a competitive scene. It's not insurmountable, however; if you have observers casting from a replay they can speed things up. You could even use some creative editing which could make it a lot of fun to watch. The sacrifice would be not being able to watch games live.
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
ExO_
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States2316 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-10-22 04:19:58
October 22 2016 04:19 GMT
#75
The Steam group where games are organized is here. A man by the name of fruitstrike developed a mod for Civ 5 to help with some of the issues that the Multiplayer balance had. Hellblazer developed a map script to go along with it, so that each starting location would be relatively balanced. A big problem with Civ 5 (including expansions) is you could get screwed over by the map generation and hellblazers map script largely solved this problem. The sub reddit for the mod/map is reddit.com/r/nqmod.

Civ 5 multiplayer had a small but active community. Babayetu_/Filthyrobot/Anzleon (Arvius) are the 3 biggest civ 5 streamers. Now everyone for now is trying out civ 6 and it's a lot of fun. The idea that liquid is looking to make competitive civ 5 a bigger and more mainstream thing really excites me. And if mrgametheory is any good at the game I look forward to a challenge.
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
October 22 2016 04:28 GMT
#76
are you going to make a civ website like liquiddota etc?
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
October 22 2016 04:40 GMT
#77
On October 22 2016 12:34 ExO_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2016 12:32 Jett.Jack.Alvir wrote:
No clue who mrgametheory is. Didn't know Civ5 had a comp scene. NQ? Yeah don't know that either.

This is all very interesting though. I feel like the first time I heard Koreans played BW professionally.

However, I have to say this doesn't seem super exciting. Granted I only played Civ 1-3, so I'm not involved in that scene at all.

And to answer ExO's question, they are here to compete. Just because you are from a community of comp Civ players, doesn't mean that your community is the only one to exist. I don't know any comp Civ communities, but perhaps there is more than just NQ?


There might be. But I doubt anybody who has looked into playing civ 5 multiplayer competitively has managed to avoid hearing about NQ in some way. It's the only way to get stable games since public lobbies the host or another player will just leave when they are bored/irritated/etc... Not only that but every single big Civ 5 streamer is a member of NQ and has been for a long time.

Not that I know much about this at all... but my impression was that MGT is a Ken or KDJ like figure from Smash; used to be one of the very best but hasn't been active in some time. http://www.civplayers.com/index.php?section=standings&league=3
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Yora
Profile Joined March 2013
United States35 Posts
October 22 2016 04:52 GMT
#78
Hmmm it's definitely something different, so it should be thought about in a different way. I'm not sure how long the average civ VI game is, but if it were say something like 3 hours maybe only 1-2 matches would be played in a day. This would make for a very long broadcast, so maybe its viewership would moreso drop in and out throughout the day, while dedicated viewers who are interested in watching the whole thing, or those who have their second monitor playing someting on twitch all day at work will be around for the entirety of the broadcast.

I don't know just how popular or viable it would be, personally my guess would be for it to fall some place in the middle or a little below average in terms of viewership and interest, but still sustainable and noticed.
Sbrubbles
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil5776 Posts
October 22 2016 04:58 GMT
#79
On October 22 2016 12:55 Jett.Jack.Alvir wrote:
Ok so I wanted to see what the hype was all about, and there is no way I can watch Civ 6 tournament.

I am a complete outsider to the game, so I watched a few different streams, and I have no clue what anyone is doing in that game. Also, it seems incredibly boring to watch. I am not a fan of Michael Bay's movies, but they provide a level of entertainment I can expect (violence, gratuitous sexy scenes, homosexual jokes, racial stereotypes, etc.) I don't think an esport should be like a Michael Bay movie, but for crying out loud I have more fun watching decrepit ancients in wheelchairs play a game of bridge.

Now of course these are randoms streaming their shit on the internet, so I can't expect it to be informative or exciting, but these tournaments better have something of value, because right now any Civ 6 stream is boring as fuck.


I can only imagine it would be like watching a chess tournament, in the sense that sitting through hours of play is something very few people can withstand, but reading a write-up afterwards can be entertaining to most.
Bora Pain minha porra!
ExO_
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States2316 Posts
October 22 2016 05:00 GMT
#80
On October 22 2016 13:40 Plexa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2016 12:34 ExO_ wrote:
On October 22 2016 12:32 Jett.Jack.Alvir wrote:
No clue who mrgametheory is. Didn't know Civ5 had a comp scene. NQ? Yeah don't know that either.

This is all very interesting though. I feel like the first time I heard Koreans played BW professionally.

However, I have to say this doesn't seem super exciting. Granted I only played Civ 1-3, so I'm not involved in that scene at all.

And to answer ExO's question, they are here to compete. Just because you are from a community of comp Civ players, doesn't mean that your community is the only one to exist. I don't know any comp Civ communities, but perhaps there is more than just NQ?


There might be. But I doubt anybody who has looked into playing civ 5 multiplayer competitively has managed to avoid hearing about NQ in some way. It's the only way to get stable games since public lobbies the host or another player will just leave when they are bored/irritated/etc... Not only that but every single big Civ 5 streamer is a member of NQ and has been for a long time.

Not that I know much about this at all... but my impression was that MGT is a Ken or KDJ like figure from Smash; used to be one of the very best but hasn't been active in some time. http://www.civplayers.com/index.php?section=standings&league=3


If this is the case, I'm certainly not aware of it. He definitely wasn't active in Gods&Kings or Brave New World or NQ Mod era. The Civplayers website stopped being used for a multitude of reasons; the main reasons being that false match reports were quite high and not being fixed by the admins, and the way winning/losing was calculated heavily favored playing to not lose moreso than playing to win. It's hard to make an effective rankings system for an FFA game after all.

I'm a relative newcomer to Civ 5 competitive, having only played now for 3 years. I can tell you the MGT certainly doesn't have the kind of clout that Ken or KDJ did in smash. Maybe for some of the older civ games, but not for Civ 5. Though I'd be interested to hear what some of the older Civ players like Yoruus might know about him.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
IntoTheiNu 518
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
Krystianer vs YoungYakovLIVE!
ByuN vs AqueroN
CranKy Ducklings153
CranKy Ducklings SOOP23
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16996
Shuttle 10860
FanTaSy 2244
Hyuk 888
Horang2 592
BeSt 468
Stork 271
Pusan 241
Mini 188
Last 137
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 134
Killer 132
Zeus 122
Mind 97
sorry 64
Hyun 62
ggaemo 60
PianO 46
Snow 45
Bale 33
ToSsGirL 30
Sea.KH 28
Hm[arnc] 27
JYJ 26
Aegong 18
zelot 15
Sacsri 12
Noble 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe373
Counter-Strike
fl0m1884
byalli998
x6flipin236
Other Games
gofns27140
singsing2873
B2W.Neo573
ArmadaUGS81
Mew2King64
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick715
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream76
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 6
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
3h 35m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 35m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 35m
Replay Cast
11h 35m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 35m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
23h 35m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 23h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.