• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:10
CEST 08:10
KST 15:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8679 users

TL Dwarf Fortress Succession Game - Page 17

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 All
tnkted
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1359 Posts
July 18 2011 12:30 GMT
#321
If we do do the lava city one, we don't have to do the 2000 year thing. Just try to get a self sustaining world set up and *maybe* pump magma to the surface indefinitely, like some sort of man made volcano.

On July 18 2011 10:59 Zocat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 15 2011 06:24 Gridlock wrote:
Posting before this thread goes necro!

I agree with your points Plated. I wish I could play so I could kick things off but I'm still in Dwarf training..


If you would play - wouldnt that be a better solution to this whole "game smoothness" problem? Maybe not in year 1/2 but after that? You will make mistakes / not play the perfect fortress and others will have to clean up your mess?

Also maybe the old player poses a task to the next player? Maybe give 3 options and he has to try to complete one during his reign.
Maybe use some kind of difficulty stuff. 1 hard, 1 medium, 1 easy and the next player can decide what he wants to do.

Since I am a total noob myself dont mind me if the examples are too easy ^^

i.e. after year 2:
"Hard: open a way to the caverns & secure it" / start a war with the Humans/Elves
"Medium: kill of annoying dwarf X - write a fun story" i.e. kill 1 (all) miners with a cavein.
"Easy: build a gladiator pit and sacrifice at least 3 prisoners" (building a moat for the first time killed 3 dwarves for me, because I didnt understand that whole floor/dig system. So might be a fun challenge for someone who thinks he's less experienced)


Or maybe people set up "traps" for their successor. Not stuff which completely destroys the fortress but small annoyances. Not stupid / boring stuff like deleting all profession profiles
i.e. if you use a danger room - have one trap be armed with real weapons. So if the next guy uses the danger room - carnage!
Or a mislabeled lever "Mainbridge" which actuals opens the cage to that one imprisoned enraged badger.

And if your successor misses your traps - there's the successor of your successor Someone WILL trigger it eventually.


This sounds GREAT to me.

And yes, I still have the original stuff. I have a full time job at the moment though (I'm typing this in the 20 minutes I have between when I wake up -> when I join my carpool) so if someone wants to go first you can be my guest! The base file is here, but be aware that we still have the world generated as well as my save in there.

So! Who wants to go first? When you write up your turn, PM it to me and I'll make the OP and you can have the first post. STRIKE THE EARTH

(btw my idea: build a lever garden and attach random levers in the garden to wacky things, like a single pillar that's holding up the dining hall, or to your drawbridges, or to a screw pump system that shoots out a squirt of water every 150 steps. Don't label your levers).
'I think "tnkted" may have justified this entire thread.' - Mjolnir
tnkted
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1359 Posts
July 26 2011 12:12 GMT
#322
I hate to revive this dying thread, but we still need somebody to start the save if we ever want to play this.
'I think "tnkted" may have justified this entire thread.' - Mjolnir
Zorkmid
Profile Joined November 2008
4410 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-26 12:40:35
July 26 2011 12:39 GMT
#323
I'll bite. I'll start one today, I'm using Phoebus' Graphic Set and 2010, is that correct?

Please PM me or reply in this thread if you want a dwarf named after you!
ztoa03
Profile Joined April 2010
Philippines181 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-26 14:23:17
July 26 2011 14:21 GMT
#324
Rookie here... If I remember it right... reneg... a few posts back wants to be on the list.
Me too, queue me up.

Is there gonna be an official start/ribbon cutting ceremony for HMv2?
Just curious. Would you choose "abandon fortress" (Horsemurdered) write something about it and start HMv2 on another site? How will this go?
Gogogo! TL FTW!
tnkted
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1359 Posts
July 27 2011 12:05 GMT
#325
Zorkmid, you're using the base pack in the OP. If that's 2010 thats fine. I don't care what tileset you use, I'm just going to use regular ascii.

Ztoa: I'm not sure! I'd be willing to keep up to date another thread for it, but it might make sense to just continue with this one. I don't think anyone ever finished HMv1 so theoretically we could have two dueling fortresses...
'I think "tnkted" may have justified this entire thread.' - Mjolnir
Prev 1 15 16 17 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1187
910 110
Snow 97
Hyun 77
NotJumperer 55
Bale 32
Noble 11
sorry 6
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto250
League of Legends
JimRising 614
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King155
Other Games
summit1g6416
Coldzera 724
WinterStarcraft434
C9.Mang0298
PiGStarcraft169
NeuroSwarm120
ViBE18
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick559
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 34
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2239
League of Legends
• Rush1113
• Lourlo1064
• Stunt350
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 51m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4h 51m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
17h 51m
Patches Events
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.