• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:13
CEST 07:13
KST 14:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War595.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8333 users

What Are You Reading 2016 - Page 3

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-01-25 02:23:36
January 25 2016 02:22 GMT
#41
On January 25 2016 11:15 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. Between Embassy Town and Perdido Street Station what would people here recommend as an introduction to China Mieville?


I think the Scar and The City & The City are both great, I found Embassytown to be a little dry.
Surth
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Germany456 Posts
January 25 2016 07:10 GMT
#42
I'd say either THe City& The City or Perdido Streer Station.
i believe your actions dishonour Starcraft 2 LotV cybersport!
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
January 30 2016 15:01 GMT
#43
Any opinion on Satanic Verses ? I have a copy for now, but not much motivation...
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
January 30 2016 20:05 GMT
#44
How is IQ84 compared to Murakami's other books?
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
February 01 2016 15:42 GMT
#45
Changed my schedule a bit...

Just finished:

[image loading]

Stalowe Szczury: Błoto (Steel Rats: Mud) by Michał Gołkowski

Holy cow! One of the best books I have read in my life. Amazingly told, great story in an alternate history setting (WWI still going on in 1922). If you can read in Polish, read it immediately! If you can't, hope for the god damned translation.

Currently reading:

[image loading]

Stalowe Szczury: Chwała (Steel Rats: Glory) by Michał Gołkowski

The only thing better than a great book, is if there's more of it!
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Rizare
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada593 Posts
February 03 2016 01:19 GMT
#46
+ Show Spoiler +
On January 15 2016 03:59 Rizare wrote:
Currently reading:
+ Show Spoiler [The Black Swan: The Impact of the High…] +
[image loading]


I'm currently reading this book and it sure has shaken many of my beliefs. Still, I'm wondering if I'm taking what he wrote too seriously and that luck isn't that decisive. It's more interesting than I expected.


Books to read:

Candide by Voltaire in French
[image loading]

De la Démocratie en Amérique (Democracy in America) by Tocqueville in French
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Alice's Adventures in Wonderland 150th Anniversary Edition with Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll in English
[image loading]

Novecento: pianiste by Alessandro Baricco in French.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Because I keep hearing horror stories about how translations can be horrible without anyone ever noticing it because they can't compare it to the original language, I'll simply add the language I plan to read a book.



Done reading everything except Candide and Democracy in America. The Black Swan has good points but damn is the author really arrogant and it seems like it should have been much shorter. Novecento: pianiste is short to read and was all right. Lewis Carroll is really weird for me.

To read: Candide, Democracy in America as well as

Umberto Eco, Experiences in Translation because I keep hearing about how animes and anything related to it keep having bad translations.

[image loading]

Umberto Eco, Le nom de la rose (Name of the Rose)
[image loading]

Roland Barthes, Le plaisir du texte (The Pleasure of the Text) and Mythologies
[image loading]

[image loading]

Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
February 03 2016 20:23 GMT
#47
[image loading]

Haven't read short stories in a long time and have only heard good things about this. I'm excited!
Lebesgue
Profile Joined October 2008
4542 Posts
February 04 2016 05:41 GMT
#48
So far I have read this year:
1. Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett
-> Being in academia myself, I have thoroughly enjoyed it :-)

2. Dune Messiah
-> It's shame to admit that I have not read it earlier. Pretty good, though not nearly as good as the "Dune"

3. Fahrenheit 451
-> A fantastic book. Really relevant for what is going today. With all that "liberal intolerance" that is spreading throughout the western world.

Next, on the reading list:
4. Dark Pools: The Rise of the Machine Traders and the Rigging of the U.S. Stock Market
5. Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov

Lebesgue
Profile Joined October 2008
4542 Posts
February 04 2016 05:43 GMT
#49
On January 10 2016 00:59 Manit0u wrote:

Planning on reading next:

[image loading]

Achaja by Andrzej Ziemiański (link to english wikipedia under the title)


Do you think Achaja is any good? I was planning to buy it the last time I was in Poland by decided to skip on it that time.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21248 Posts
February 04 2016 05:46 GMT
#50
I think I'll be doing a significant amount of re-reading this year.
TranslatorBaa!
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
February 04 2016 09:11 GMT
#51
On February 04 2016 14:43 Lebesgue wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2016 00:59 Manit0u wrote:

Planning on reading next:

[image loading]

Achaja by Andrzej Ziemiański (link to english wikipedia under the title)


Do you think Achaja is any good? I was planning to buy it the last time I was in Poland by decided to skip on it that time.


My wife loved it. I have yet to get to it. Will let you know for sure.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Twoflowers
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany241 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-02-04 10:55:50
February 04 2016 10:54 GMT
#52

On January 15 2016 03:59 Rizare wrote:
Currently reading:
+ Show Spoiler [The Black Swan: The Impact of the High…] +
[image loading]


I'm currently reading this book and it sure has shaken many of my beliefs. Still, I'm wondering if I'm taking what he wrote too seriously and that luck isn't that decisive. It's more interesting than I expected.


Books to read:

(...)



Have you already read Baudolino? If not I recommend it
JazVM
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1196 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-02-04 11:36:06
February 04 2016 11:27 GMT
#53
On January 31 2016 05:05 Nyxisto wrote:
How is IQ84 compared to Murakami's other books?


I only read the first one. It was a couple of years ago and even before the second part got released. If I remember correctly it took quite a while until it was getting interesting. I also never read the second part.

I read almost all books by him and my favorite ones are Norwegian Wood and The.-Windup-Bird-Chronicles. The first one lacks a lot of the surreal elements that maybe stand out the most from all of Murakamis work but that's what makes it interesting and different. The second one is quite the contrast and will present you lots of surreal stuff merged into a highly exciting story. Check them out if you haven't already read them.
mind mind mind mind mind mind
JazVM
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1196 Posts
February 04 2016 11:30 GMT
#54
On January 25 2016 11:15 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. Between Embassy Town and Perdido Street Station what would people here recommend as an introduction to China Mieville?


I read Perdido Street Station years ago along with another book by him and I wasn't impressed at all. I don't get the hype around these books.
mind mind mind mind mind mind
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
February 05 2016 10:48 GMT
#55
[image loading]
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Xxio
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada5565 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-02-05 23:18:02
February 05 2016 23:06 GMT
#56
I'm enjoying Badhdad: City of Peace, City of Blood -- A History in Thirteen Centuries.
Finished Flowers for Algernon last week. Fast read, damn good storytelling.
Read fifty pages of Green Earth and couldn't get into it. I'll give it another go this summer.

On February 04 2016 20:30 JazVM wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2016 11:15 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. Between Embassy Town and Perdido Street Station what would people here recommend as an introduction to China Mieville?


I read Perdido Street Station years ago along with another book by him and I wasn't impressed at all. I don't get the hype around these books.


Mieville's books are polarizing; people seem to either love his work or not care for it at all. I picked up a copy at the library, read a bit, and decided it's not for me. But he's doing his own thing, and that's great. I guess I should try him again some time. Railsea is supposed to be good.

Hope you let us know about The Water Knife, Mr. Wiggles. I loved The Windup Girl.
KTY
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-02-16 02:39:13
February 16 2016 02:38 GMT
#57
[image loading]

Halfway through, like it a lot. The 'Eco-Hardboiled' setting is pretty cool and it's really short which spares me the gargantuan infodumps that annoyed me a little in his longer books.
phagga
Profile Joined February 2012
Switzerland2194 Posts
February 16 2016 08:43 GMT
#58
So after a short break of reading I finished After The Act by Winston Graham.

[image loading]
(I actually can't find a picture online of the book cover I have, but this one is close enough).

I have no idea from where I have this book or how it ended up in my small library. It looked really used even before I started reading, so I guess I got it from some second hand shop or a library sales...

I liked the book. It felt slow at times, and the resolution at the end seems unfinished, but it offers insight and keeps the suspense up.

I will probably read "Das Boot" by Lothar-Günther Buchheim next (in german).

[image loading]

I have it as a hardcover, legacy of my parents when they moved out. I've seen the movie years ago and it was outstanding. I hear similar things of the book.
"A person who does not concern himself with politics has already made the political choice he was so anxious to spare himself: he is serving the ruling party." - Max Frisch
phantomfive
Profile Joined April 2010
Korea (South)404 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-02-19 02:50:59
February 19 2016 02:50 GMT
#59
On January 14 2016 09:10 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Behold my tale of woe, in greentext form.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



I have a similar problem....there's a book I want to buy, but they'll only ship it to England
To ease another's heartache is to forget one's own - Lincoln
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
February 23 2016 19:22 GMT
#60
[image loading]

I really have to say the first hundred pages were a little hard because the invented words are a little weird, but I'm starting to like it a lot.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 47m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
FoxeR 76
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4495
Leta 1567
Bale 59
Shine 32
ZergMaN 10
Icarus 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm264
League of Legends
JimRising 642
Other Games
summit1g8104
WinterStarcraft578
Sick122
Mew2King35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick507
BasetradeTV189
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta27
• Letter1415
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2118
League of Legends
• Lourlo856
• Rush616
Other Games
• Shiphtur343
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4h 47m
Patches Events
9h 47m
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 47m
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 47m
OSC
17h 47m
OSC
1d 6h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.