• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:32
CEST 08:32
KST 15:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8910 users

[Movie] The Hobbit Trilogy - Page 82

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 80 81 82 83 84 90 Next
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
December 24 2013 15:18 GMT
#1621
Oh you are banned
Anyways. The entire notion that stories ought to as its primary purpose tell a moral lesson would rankle Tolkien. He hated the didactic nature of children's stories of his days that mostly an excuse to teach Johnny to be a good boy (Tom Brown's School Days.) The point is to tell a good story for its own sake. That is cause enough for Tolkien. If it is applicable, all well and good.

As for tone. You have to understand, that was one my single greatest hatreds of the original trilogy. Amped up battles, crazy antics, stupid dwarf tossing jokes. Everything was bigger, louder, and brasher and Lothlorien darker. A battle which lasted 20 pages would last one third of the movie whereas the trilogy was much more understated with violence and a greater sense of sorrow post-battle. No question that the LotR's film trilogy will be objectively better when all is said and done, but the tonal shift was as significant for me.

But if we are comparing tones we are also comparing book to movie, which you also say one is bound to be disappointed. Which is why coming into The Hobbit, I was not expecting a book to movie translation. But rather given how Jackson has interpreted Middle Earth to the screen, how will he interpret The Hobbit to match the same world he created before.

I've said this before, but many of the changes by Jackson are ones made by Tolkien to bring The Hobbit more in line with the rest of universe. Yes it gets Hollywoodized- the Forge Fight and pirroetting and rail-sliding Elves (which if I take a step back, are my least favourite changes.) But the change in tone I am completely fine with as Tolkien was trying the same thing. It's uneven in places and sometimes it doesn't work, but I appreciate the Quest of Erebor inclusions.

I don't think Jackson's interpretation will be the last word on the matter, but it is one word. I see it more in terms of different twists and retellings of the same story. Think for instance, 1938 Adventures of Robin Hood vs Disney's cartoon Robin Hood (1973) vs Prince of Thieves 1991 vs Robin Hood 2010. Or Nosferatu vs Coppola's Dracula or 1939 Four Feathers vs 2002 Four Feathers. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. Some are stronger than others and for different reasons, but each leaves its mark on the retelling. And to me it's interesting to see another person approaches the same story. Some of the most boring adaptations are the truncated ones where they tried to copy the book and just cut parts out for time. Some things that work on the page don't work on the screen.

re: film battles
I was kinda wondering about that. It seems then, the more it focuses on battles the more it moves into a sort of film that you tend to not like intrinsically whether it is well told or not (and Helm's Deep I think is better told then the Forge Fight.)

This might be interesting if you have the time:
http://tolkienprofessor.com/audio/HOB_DoS_Reactions.mp3
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
TheBloodyDwarf
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Finland7524 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-24 16:03:59
December 24 2013 16:03 GMT
#1622
As fan of the books (Book this time), movie was horrible and way too long
Fusilero: "I still can't believe he did that, like dude what the fuck there's fandom and then there's what he did like holy shit. I still see it when I close my eyes." <- reaction to the original drunk santa post which later caught on
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
December 24 2013 17:46 GMT
#1623
Now that I thought about it.

Peter Jackson should've just rendered this version of the hobbit (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077687/) into live action sequence. I remember watching it when I was little and was drawn by the mystical elements and lore. It was hauntingly impressive.
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
igotmyown
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States4291 Posts
December 24 2013 20:21 GMT
#1624
When they cut off the Beorn scene (and I always thought he'd look like beastmaster, he was supposed to be a tank of a man), then they truncated mirkwood, I thought, ok, it's a movie, and Peter Jackson has to adapt the pace to save time in the movie.

Then there were goblins in mirkwood, and I realized this really wasn't the hobbit, but a cinematic interpretation of the hobbit (or set in the story of the hobbit), where Peter Jackson could do Peter Jackson things.
Tivu
Profile Joined February 2012
United States244 Posts
December 24 2013 20:57 GMT
#1625
Watch the new one last week and I gotta say, I liked it better than the first one. Look forward to the third one next December.
Steveling
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Greece10806 Posts
December 28 2013 22:46 GMT
#1626
Watched it today and it was very nice, if they'd chopped off the tauriel along with the ridiculous smaug chase it would have been perfect. Well, considering how difficult it is to translate tolkien to the big screen and that this movie is just a moneygrub, then yes it was pretty cool.
My dick has shrunk to the point where it looks like I have 3 balls.
Brett
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Australia3823 Posts
December 29 2013 04:40 GMT
#1627
Just got home from watching it this morning.

I'm 29, a Tolkien fan, and I enjoyed it. Much better than the first part, I thought Smaug in particular was very well done; certainly the best cinematic portrayal of a dragon I've ever seen.

Hopefully the battle of the five armies delivers next year!
publicenemies
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
458 Posts
December 29 2013 04:57 GMT
#1628
If Legolas was like this in the LOTR trilogy, those movies would have been a lot shorter... He single-handedly destroyed like all of the orcs.
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
December 29 2013 06:51 GMT
#1629
watched this today. Loved the dragon lol. The way he was taunting Bilbo or just taking his sweet time although cmon guys, trying to kill a dragon by fire, seriously? lol. Also, as mentioned Legolas, man, amazing elf XD He pretty decimated everyone that stood in his way but it seemed like he was more of the strict and less relaxed guy from LoTR. Maybe that's how I saw him though.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
TheRabidDeer
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States3806 Posts
December 29 2013 07:19 GMT
#1630
I liked the movie. The main thing I didn't like were the Gandalf cuts and the river scene (it felt like a ride, not a movie).

The line delivery of "I am fire, I am... DEATH" was brilliant though. Chills man. I want that audio clip in high quality.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44352 Posts
December 29 2013 12:40 GMT
#1631
On December 29 2013 13:57 publicenemies wrote:
If Legolas was like this in the LOTR trilogy, those movies would have been a lot shorter... He single-handedly destroyed like all of the orcs.

He does that in LOTR too.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Caladbolg
Profile Joined March 2011
2855 Posts
December 29 2013 16:18 GMT
#1632
On December 29 2013 21:40 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 29 2013 13:57 publicenemies wrote:
If Legolas was like this in the LOTR trilogy, those movies would have been a lot shorter... He single-handedly destroyed like all of the orcs.

He does that in LOTR too.


He had more difficulty then. He had like one or two fantastic moves, but overall he wasn't LEGOLAS DESTROYER OF WORLDS AND ORCS as he was in this movie. It was probably the only thing I didn't really appreciate (I mean, the different tone of action from LOTR, which tried its best to be realistic with just a little flash, and the Hobbit 1 & 2, which were circus stunts with bows and axes).
"I don't like the word prodigy at all. To me prodigy sounds like a person who was 'gifted' all these things rather than a person who earned all these talents by hard training... I must train harder to reach my goal." - Flash
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44352 Posts
December 29 2013 16:44 GMT
#1633
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
nikj
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada669 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-29 17:30:33
December 29 2013 17:26 GMT
#1634
On December 30 2013 01:44 KwarK wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMjkfZ3q8tE


Haha

Thats exactly what I was thinking. If that doesn't make him a badass I don't know what does.
Y'know sometimes people ask me y'know like "What's your religion and stuff?" And I'm like "y' know it's like RTS." Uh, and they're like, "What's that?" And I'm like, "Y'know it's kinda like, kinda like Buddism."
Dunmer
Profile Joined April 2012
United Kingdom568 Posts
December 29 2013 21:36 GMT
#1635
He didnt kill as much because every character around him killed a tonne of shit too so there was less for legolas to kill. Amon Hen/ Moria/ Helms deep/The entire return of the king movie are all scenes where legolas kills a bunch of stuff
All Ireland Starcraft, check us out on Facebook
Brett
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Australia3823 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-29 23:08:42
December 29 2013 22:09 GMT
#1636
I really don't understand why people think Legolas killing lots of Orcs is a big deal (in this movie as opposed to the LotR movies). It was made pretty clear that Legolas (and Gimli) was a (were) great warrior(s). Did you forget them comparing their body counts?

And yes, as Kwark has shown, as far as the original movies go, the action scenes were just as over the top.

Another example:


Is this not a 'circus stunt' too?
Kleinmuuhg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Vanuatu4091 Posts
December 29 2013 22:15 GMT
#1637
I liked the movie overall but there are just a few things that were so bad about it in my eyes that they really pulled the whole experience down:
Tauriel
Smaug after having this awesome conversation , being so easily fooled and acting so irrational
Thandriel acting like a spoiled brat, he seems more like a human tbh
Tauriel - Killi falling in love omg whyyyyyyy
thorin swiming through the river a molten gold 1 inch above thousand degree hot metall and not giving a shit
Beorn didnt seem mighty at all more like a weak old guy
Tauriel

If I ignore those aspects I can say a enjoyed it a lot and after seing all the bonus material of middle earth so far (part 1-8) I really enjoy all the details and thought that went into the design. I guess I am enjoying the movies knowing they will be very different from the books.
This is our town, scrub
TheRabidDeer
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States3806 Posts
December 29 2013 23:09 GMT
#1638
I am not so certain smaug was really fooled, he just wanted to kill them and knew they couldn't do a damned thing to him there.
Jankisa
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Croatia1757 Posts
December 30 2013 15:26 GMT
#1639
Ok, I liked this one much more than the first. I watched the first one 1 or 2 times and only thing I remember from that experience it that I don't like singing and that it was way, way to dragged out and long, witch was exactly what I expected when they announced it's going to be more than one movie.

Surprisingly I found this one to be much more gripping and exciting, with few similarities with the first one, like the 30 minute sequence where a huge and insanely smart dragon that knows every corner of his lair can't chase down a hobbit and later on a few dwarves.

I didn't mind the comical portrayal of action since I liked it in the LOTR, and I thought that both the barrel scene and the fight in Laketown were really well done.

I also didn't mind the addition of Turiel and Legolas, but that's mostly bacouse I fell in love with the actress and I like when Legolas jumps around and shoots stuff (but yeah the dwarf elf love story was pretty dumb).

What worries me is the fact that Jackson clearly decided to spend a lot of time and money on Smaug chase scene, when it was clearly universally the biggest gripe most people have with this movie. That scene and a few others from this and the previous movie convinced me that they decided to go with a trilogy and not 2 parts clearly as a cash grab. It is painfully obvious that they left the most hard hitting and blockbuster making moments for the third movie and that the first 2 could easily be compressed into one 3 hour movie.
So, are you a pessimist? - On my better days. Are you a nihilist? - Not as much as I should be.
Caladbolg
Profile Joined March 2011
2855 Posts
December 30 2013 16:13 GMT
#1640
On December 30 2013 07:09 Brett wrote:
I really don't understand why people think Legolas killing lots of Orcs is a big deal (in this movie as opposed to the LotR movies). It was made pretty clear that Legolas (and Gimli) was a (were) great warrior(s). Did you forget them comparing their body counts?

And yes, as Kwark has shown, as far as the original movies go, the action scenes were just as over the top.

Another example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suVx_JZSc1s

Is this not a 'circus stunt' too?


As I said, those are pretty much the only two examples of an over the top scene involving Legolas. We didn't see him stepping on the head of every orc (I know I know he stepped on the dwarves) decapitating them with arrows left right and center as he did in The Hobbit 2.
"I don't like the word prodigy at all. To me prodigy sounds like a person who was 'gifted' all these things rather than a person who earned all these talents by hard training... I must train harder to reach my goal." - Flash
Prev 1 80 81 82 83 84 90 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 28m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Larva 446
Hyuk 266
Leta 220
Hyun 98
Hm[arnc] 33
ZergMaN 13
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm223
League of Legends
JimRising 734
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King91
Other Games
summit1g9356
WinterStarcraft515
Nina89
ArmadaUGS50
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick773
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream173
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2309
League of Legends
• Rush1492
• Lourlo1132
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3h 28m
INu's Battles
5h 28m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
8h 28m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 28m
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 28m
Replay Cast
16h 28m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 4h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.