• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:49
CEST 22:49
KST 05:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War325.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7847 users

Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion - Page 10551

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10549 10550 10551 10552 10553 10602 Next
teddyoojo
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany22369 Posts
September 27 2022 13:57 GMT
#211001
well magnus basically finally stated that he believes hans cheated against him in the sinquefeld cup so
Esports historian since 2000. Creator of 'The Universe' and 'The best scrambled Eggs 2013'. Host of 'Star Wars Marathon 2015'. Thinker of 'teddyoojo's Thoughts'. Earths and Moons leading CS:GO expert. Lord of the Rings.
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-09-27 19:31:45
September 27 2022 19:21 GMT
#211002
The latest update is that a French player posted a video where she claims that an examination of Hans' games in the last 3 years using a well-regarded Chess analysis tool shows that his moves have aligned more closely with the best computer moves than Fischer, Kasparov, or Carlsen ever managed to accomplish.

+ Show Spoiler +


Since the video was posted, top players have made their own videos examining the most controversial games and providing their opinion.

+ Show Spoiler +


It looks like a lot of the worlds top players are pretty suspicious.

if Magnus won't play Hans going forward, it doesn't even matter if they can prove it or not. If tournament organizers have to choose between Magnus or Hans, they're going with Magnus every time. So Hans' career is kind of screwed no matter what.
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-09-27 20:05:54
September 27 2022 19:56 GMT
#211003
The part of Magnus' statement where he puts the onus on Hans to give him permission to provide more information is weird as hell.

My best guess/random speculation is that Magnus signed an NDA with one of the online chess platforms to view private anti-cheating data related to Hans account, and he would need Hans' sign-off to publicize it. Whatever it is, I think it's super weird to make a public statement where you essentially ask someone for permission to bury them.
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-09-27 20:57:32
September 27 2022 20:53 GMT
#211004
On September 28 2022 04:56 PassiveAce wrote:
The part of Magnus' statement where he puts the onus on Hans to give him permission to provide more information is weird as hell.

My best guess/random speculation is that Magnus signed an NDA with one of the online chess platforms to view private anti-cheating data related to Hans account, and he would need Hans' sign-off to publicize it. Whatever it is, I think it's super weird to make a public statement where you essentially ask someone for permission to bury them.

Hmm it seems weird to me that a platform would provide anyone with private data (edit: perhaps Hans provided some info to Magnus directly himself?). Could it be a legal defamation reason or something related to Magnus' membership in some association that prevents their members from making stronger statements?

I suppose that regardless of whether there was cheating in this instance, this is a good case for why you don't cheat online because now there's a ton of suspicion and many people don't really trust this guy.
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-09-27 20:57:29
September 27 2022 20:57 GMT
#211005
On September 28 2022 05:53 emperorchampion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 28 2022 04:56 PassiveAce wrote:
The part of Magnus' statement where he puts the onus on Hans to give him permission to provide more information is weird as hell.

My best guess/random speculation is that Magnus signed an NDA with one of the online chess platforms to view private anti-cheating data related to Hans account, and he would need Hans' sign-off to publicize it. Whatever it is, I think it's super weird to make a public statement where you essentially ask someone for permission to bury them.

Hmm it seems weird to me that a platform would provide anyone with private data. Could it be a legal defamation reason or something related to Magnus' membership in some association that prevents their members from making stronger statements?

The statement makes it sound like he's asking Hans for permission to release info, so I don't think its related to libel law. Although I'm sure that lawyers proof read the statement for any defamation issues before it went public.

One of Magnus' companies has an ownership interest in chess.com so its not inconceivable to me that he would have access to inside info but would be unable to release it without the players permission.
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
September 27 2022 21:00 GMT
#211006
On September 28 2022 05:57 PassiveAce wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 28 2022 05:53 emperorchampion wrote:
On September 28 2022 04:56 PassiveAce wrote:
The part of Magnus' statement where he puts the onus on Hans to give him permission to provide more information is weird as hell.

My best guess/random speculation is that Magnus signed an NDA with one of the online chess platforms to view private anti-cheating data related to Hans account, and he would need Hans' sign-off to publicize it. Whatever it is, I think it's super weird to make a public statement where you essentially ask someone for permission to bury them.

Hmm it seems weird to me that a platform would provide anyone with private data. Could it be a legal defamation reason or something related to Magnus' membership in some association that prevents their members from making stronger statements?

The statement makes it sound like he's asking Hans for permission to release info, so I don't think its related to libel law. Although I'm sure that lawyers proof read the statement for any defamation issues before it went public.

One of Magnus' companies has an ownership interest in chess.com so its not inconceivable to me that he would have access to inside info but would be unable to release it without the players permission.

Yeah idk, seems problematic in other ways if Carlsen has access to private data lol - but as I edited, perhaps Hans provided it to him upon request with some stipulations. Strange situation anyways.
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-09-27 21:17:29
September 27 2022 21:05 GMT
#211007
On September 28 2022 06:00 emperorchampion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 28 2022 05:57 PassiveAce wrote:
On September 28 2022 05:53 emperorchampion wrote:
On September 28 2022 04:56 PassiveAce wrote:
The part of Magnus' statement where he puts the onus on Hans to give him permission to provide more information is weird as hell.

My best guess/random speculation is that Magnus signed an NDA with one of the online chess platforms to view private anti-cheating data related to Hans account, and he would need Hans' sign-off to publicize it. Whatever it is, I think it's super weird to make a public statement where you essentially ask someone for permission to bury them.

Hmm it seems weird to me that a platform would provide anyone with private data. Could it be a legal defamation reason or something related to Magnus' membership in some association that prevents their members from making stronger statements?

The statement makes it sound like he's asking Hans for permission to release info, so I don't think its related to libel law. Although I'm sure that lawyers proof read the statement for any defamation issues before it went public.

One of Magnus' companies has an ownership interest in chess.com so its not inconceivable to me that he would have access to inside info but would be unable to release it without the players permission.

Yeah idk, seems problematic in other ways if Carlsen has access to private data lol - but as I edited, perhaps Hans provided it to him upon request with some stipulations. Strange situation anyways.

Yeah, could be. I think that he must have *something* but it will probably be ages before it becomes public. He's never going to get Hans' permission to publicize it, whatever it is.

I think it kind of makes sense for chess.com to release information/evidence about titled players who get flagged by their anti-cheat tbh. If someone's cheating in money matches then I don't think its unreasonable for the results of the proprietary anti-cheating software to be released to some people, if not made public entirely. I mean hell, I can see all my opponents VAC bans :p
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-09-27 21:26:00
September 27 2022 21:24 GMT
#211008
Cheating statistics from top players on chess.com indicates yhat over 95% of cheaters are male lmao

I wonder if that holds true across most video games?

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
September 27 2022 21:57 GMT
#211009
On September 28 2022 06:24 PassiveAce wrote:
Cheating statistics from top players on chess.com indicates yhat over 95% of cheaters are male lmao

I wonder if that holds true across most video games?

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Are they normalized by gender numbers (unfortunate reality of gaming as a male dominated space , although hopefully decreasingly so)?
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
September 27 2022 23:10 GMT
#211010
Chess.com already put out a statement a couple days ago that Magnus has not had any access to their anti cheat system nor has he seen any information on previous cheaters on their website.
Moderator
eieio
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States14512 Posts
September 29 2022 01:03 GMT
#211011
This is spicy! I had read a little bit about this but not very much. I'm very interested in whatever the ~secret evidence~ is. I'm also not sure whose side I believe! whose side are we on here folks.

also have any of you cheated in online chess i definitely cheated on some chess site when i was like 14.
LiquidDota Staff
TL+ Member
Faruko
Profile Joined April 2013
Chile34173 Posts
September 29 2022 01:14 GMT
#211012


god damn
Ross was right // "Jesus Christ nahaz is doing shots before my eyes" (Sn0_Man, 2018)
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
September 29 2022 01:55 GMT
#211013
On September 29 2022 10:03 eieio wrote:
This is spicy! I had read a little bit about this but not very much. I'm very interested in whatever the ~secret evidence~ is. I'm also not sure whose side I believe! whose side are we on here folks.

also have any of you cheated in online chess i definitely cheated on some chess site when i was like 14.

On one hand, cheating it self seems quite unlikely, on the other hand, Magnus probably has a better idea than anyone else in the world how people act when they play. Innocent till proven guilty I suppose?
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
teddyoojo
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany22369 Posts
September 29 2022 11:47 GMT
#211014
On September 29 2022 10:03 eieio wrote:
This is spicy! I had read a little bit about this but not very much. I'm very interested in whatever the ~secret evidence~ is. I'm also not sure whose side I believe! whose side are we on here folks.

also have any of you cheated in online chess i definitely cheated on some chess site when i was like 14.

no im not a cheater
Esports historian since 2000. Creator of 'The Universe' and 'The best scrambled Eggs 2013'. Host of 'Star Wars Marathon 2015'. Thinker of 'teddyoojo's Thoughts'. Earths and Moons leading CS:GO expert. Lord of the Rings.
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-09-29 14:30:57
September 29 2022 14:26 GMT
#211015
On September 29 2022 10:03 eieio wrote:
This is spicy! I had read a little bit about this but not very much. I'm very interested in whatever the ~secret evidence~ is. I'm also not sure whose side I believe! whose side are we on here folks.

also have any of you cheated in online chess i definitely cheated on some chess site when i was like 14.

I dunno... there doesn't seem to be hard evidence but i don't think there's ever been a time where most of the top 10 players in the world are super suspicious of one of their colleagues. For me it's like, how much can we trust the intuition of top players and this proprietary analysis tool? I'm inclined to trust the players but I would feel super bad if this 19y/o kid is actually just getting railroaded.

Iv never looked at an engine during a game but when I first started playing chess online I remember a couple games where I opened a youtube opening tutorial when I couldn't remember a move. I stopped doing it pretty quick because I started getting better at memorizing theory, and using outside help really kind of spoils the win. It feels way better to do it all on your own, ya know?
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
September 29 2022 15:31 GMT
#211016
Sounds to me like you were cheating!
Moderator
Erasme
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Bahamas15899 Posts
September 29 2022 17:15 GMT
#211017
On September 29 2022 10:14 Faruko wrote:
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1575285295762886657

god damn

ecking sad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI “‘Drain the swamp’? Stupid saying, means nothing, but you guys loved it so I kept saying it.”
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
September 29 2022 18:06 GMT
#211018
On September 30 2022 00:31 Firebolt145 wrote:
Sounds to me like you were cheating!

yep :ppp
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
Zulu1
Profile Joined September 2022
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2022-10-06 03:20:57
September 29 2022 21:05 GMT
#211019
--- Nuked ---
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
September 29 2022 23:37 GMT
#211020
Sorry I work for chess
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
Prev 1 10549 10550 10551 10552 10553 10602 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 646
ProTech146
UpATreeSC 88
Nina 50
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15734
910 68
soO 43
Dota 2
Gorgc7120
monkeys_forever97
canceldota70
League of Legends
Doublelift1394
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4182
Other Games
summit1g2234
fl0m1471
FrodaN837
olofmeister809
Liquid`Hasu332
C9.Mang0210
Livibee187
IndyStarCraft 99
Organizations
StarCraft 2
angryscii 15
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• poizon28 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 47
• FirePhoenix13
• Michael_bg 6
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2870
• WagamamaTV347
Other Games
• imaqtpie1100
• Scarra711
• Shiphtur579
• tFFMrPink 13
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 11m
Big Brain Bouts
13h 11m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
20h 11m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
22h 11m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 13h
Patches Events
1d 18h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.