• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:37
CEST 04:37
KST 11:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8601 users

General Discussion - Page 432

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 430 431 432 433 434 6534 Next
IRC chatter should remain in IRC - http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=tl.dota2

Posts that relate to topics with their own thread, such as in News, Tournaments or Strategy should go in those threads.
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-23 06:50:19
April 23 2012 06:49 GMT
#8621
On April 23 2012 15:45 Thraxis wrote:
Is there any place with a focus on improving? I've been looking at TL Inhouse and checking other communities to try and find a place to really group up with a few people pretty much every night without the focus being on purely winning, and I have yet to find something that fits my taste. I'm closing in on 400 games played (350 with pretty much an even split due to helping out new friends with the game and then going on losing streaks lately as I try to expand my play all together) and I just can't imagine there isn't something like SC2's Masters level practice partner threads.

"SC2's Masters level practice partner threads" don't really work because it's not 1v1, but 5v5 you need to play.
That's what scrims are used for, you find 4 people you play with and you find 5 others around your skill level more or less and you play and draft against eachother.
That's the way most people improve in DotA.


Edit: Also apparently sing sing is the highest ranked person in the ranking system, according to tobi after he visited valve. That would explain his 10~20 minute queues even with his viewers-stacks.
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
Thraxis
Profile Joined November 2010
United States36 Posts
April 23 2012 06:58 GMT
#8622
I understand that, but there seems little effort to organize scrims that are meant to really match that kind of thing up. I know it's very subjective, as you could get groups who are better at different things (pushing, early/late game, gank teams, ect) so "skill" is very subjective. I'm just seeing if anyone knows of a place where something, anything, like what I'm asking for is happening and I just can't really see it. I only have about 5 gamer friends with keys all together, we all work at different times, are from different time zones, and are at different skill and understanding levels. So getting together with all 5 and doing scrims is rough due to the highly varied skill levels. Just trying to find more people and broaden my horizons without having to sort through try hard only inhouses (I know not everyone in TL IH and such are tryhards, not what I'm saying).
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-23 07:04:23
April 23 2012 07:04 GMT
#8623
The problem is that you have to have 5 people that play together for it to work, a thread wont solve that problem, and people that scrim already know eachother and don't need a thread, so getting into scrimming isn't that easy.
A thread could be attempted, but i don't see it being successful.
And making a thread to find people is pretty illogical because the odds of the 4 other people you find work together with you is low, you'd need 5 people that can play together and communicate well, that's sort of the first step to getting into something equal to SC2 master level. Getting a team that is.

But those are just my two cents. I know how you feel though, i used to have people to play with but we kind of fell out skill-wise and are too far apart, and i still want to improve and pubbing doesn't really cut it
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
5-s
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1674 Posts
April 23 2012 07:41 GMT
#8624
On April 23 2012 15:58 Thraxis wrote:
I understand that, but there seems little effort to organize scrims that are meant to really match that kind of thing up. I know it's very subjective, as you could get groups who are better at different things (pushing, early/late game, gank teams, ect) so "skill" is very subjective. I'm just seeing if anyone knows of a place where something, anything, like what I'm asking for is happening and I just can't really see it. I only have about 5 gamer friends with keys all together, we all work at different times, are from different time zones, and are at different skill and understanding levels. So getting together with all 5 and doing scrims is rough due to the highly varied skill levels. Just trying to find more people and broaden my horizons without having to sort through try hard only inhouses (I know not everyone in TL IH and such are tryhards, not what I'm saying).

Not sure what you're looking for, you haven't really described what you think this kind of place should provide.
I liked Dota before it was Mainstream.
Itsmedudeman
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States19229 Posts
April 23 2012 08:03 GMT
#8625
On April 23 2012 15:58 Thraxis wrote:
I understand that, but there seems little effort to organize scrims that are meant to really match that kind of thing up. I know it's very subjective, as you could get groups who are better at different things (pushing, early/late game, gank teams, ect) so "skill" is very subjective. I'm just seeing if anyone knows of a place where something, anything, like what I'm asking for is happening and I just can't really see it. I only have about 5 gamer friends with keys all together, we all work at different times, are from different time zones, and are at different skill and understanding levels. So getting together with all 5 and doing scrims is rough due to the highly varied skill levels. Just trying to find more people and broaden my horizons without having to sort through try hard only inhouses (I know not everyone in TL IH and such are tryhards, not what I'm saying).

Uhh, I have no idea in which way you're trying to improve here or what your idea of improving is through this method over just playing regular games. If you want to get better on certain heroes all I can tell you is to just go for it and play it. What it seems to me like you're asking is is there an inhouse where I can play certain heroes/roles and people won't get angry at me for feeding.
rob.au
Profile Joined May 2010
1087 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-23 08:52:33
April 23 2012 08:47 GMT
#8626
Been doing carry/support short lane with friend, winning 90% of games. Not sure if it's bad luck or that we are matched with other try hards now but we have to face lycan every game now. Seems like this basically hard counters our try-hardness since lycan just free farms jungle on other side of the map and comes online faster than any carry we can pick.

I realize Lycan is somewhat countered by stun locking him and warding his jungle, but apart from this is there anything we can do like in picks or strategy wise? stun locking is basically not possible with a pub team, and warding his jungle is also pretty hard if we go the short lane plus we ofc have to buy courier every game.

I'm considering just running a try hard long lane so that we can rape the lane and go rape Lycan but that's all I've though of.
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
April 23 2012 08:51 GMT
#8627
If there was an easy way to stop lycan, he would not be first pick first ban material.
If you think of a good solution, be sure to tell the competitive scene!
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
April 23 2012 09:05 GMT
#8628
pick slardar ftw
POGGERS
zeehar
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Korea (South)3804 Posts
April 23 2012 09:08 GMT
#8629
On April 23 2012 18:05 konadora wrote:
pick slardar ftw


this also depends on good support, however
I AM THE UNIVERSAL CONSTANT
Itsmedudeman
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States19229 Posts
April 23 2012 09:21 GMT
#8630
On April 23 2012 18:08 zeehar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 23 2012 18:05 konadora wrote:
pick slardar ftw


this also depends on good support, however

A lot of heroes require competence from your teammates.
Qbek
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Poland12923 Posts
April 23 2012 09:22 GMT
#8631
On April 23 2012 18:21 Itsmedudeman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 23 2012 18:08 zeehar wrote:
On April 23 2012 18:05 konadora wrote:
pick slardar ftw


this also depends on good support, however

A lot of heroes require competence from your teammates.

And a lot of heroes depend on the incompetence of your opponents
This space left intentionally dank /)3(\ http://i.imgur.com/RmeEUcF.png
SirMilford
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Australia1269 Posts
April 23 2012 09:49 GMT
#8632
Try not picking a full hardcarry and instead go for a semi carry that can beat him earlygame. Sladar would be my pick remember to get a ghost scepter on the support and then just push. In pub games semicarries often work better because you can hit your stride before the enemy monsters.
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
April 23 2012 09:50 GMT
#8633
man it's so hard to adjust back to wc3 dota after playing dota 2 for so long @_@
POGGERS
PHILtheTANK
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1834 Posts
April 23 2012 10:04 GMT
#8634
On April 23 2012 18:50 konadora wrote:
man it's so hard to adjust back to wc3 dota after playing dota 2 for so long @_@


Y u go back?
Jieun <3
Doraemon
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Australia14949 Posts
April 23 2012 10:08 GMT
#8635
do you play on sea kona?
Do yourself a favour and just STFU
zeehar
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Korea (South)3804 Posts
April 23 2012 10:09 GMT
#8636
On April 23 2012 18:50 konadora wrote:
man it's so hard to adjust back to wc3 dota after playing dota 2 for so long @_@


play techies again
I AM THE UNIVERSAL CONSTANT
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
April 23 2012 10:12 GMT
#8637
I miss my first blood every game techies, haha.
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
rotegirte
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany2859 Posts
April 23 2012 10:19 GMT
#8638
On April 23 2012 17:47 rob.au wrote:
Been doing carry/support short lane with friend, winning 90% of games. Not sure if it's bad luck or that we are matched with other try hards now but we have to face lycan every game now. Seems like this basically hard counters our try-hardness since lycan just free farms jungle on other side of the map and comes online faster than any carry we can pick.

I realize Lycan is somewhat countered by stun locking him and warding his jungle, but apart from this is there anything we can do like in picks or strategy wise? stun locking is basically not possible with a pub team, and warding his jungle is also pretty hard if we go the short lane plus we ofc have to buy courier every game.

I'm considering just running a try hard long lane so that we can rape the lane and go rape Lycan but that's all I've though of.


In my experience, 1-2 BKB piercing disables will do the job sufficiently. Key is to survive midgame until ghost scepters/force staffs come online
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
April 23 2012 10:22 GMT
#8639
On April 23 2012 17:51 Unleashing wrote:
If there was an easy way to stop lycan, he would not be first pick first ban material.
If you think of a good solution, be sure to tell the competitive scene!


I think he isn't first pick/ban because there aren't ways of dealing with him. It's just because it's harder to deal with him than to use him. So teams would rather not take the risk and just ban him. I think when people get more confident you won't be seeing him banned as much.
Narcind
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Sweden2489 Posts
April 23 2012 10:23 GMT
#8640
On April 23 2012 15:58 Thraxis wrote:
I understand that, but there seems little effort to organize scrims that are meant to really match that kind of thing up. I know it's very subjective, as you could get groups who are better at different things (pushing, early/late game, gank teams, ect) so "skill" is very subjective. I'm just seeing if anyone knows of a place where something, anything, like what I'm asking for is happening and I just can't really see it. I only have about 5 gamer friends with keys all together, we all work at different times, are from different time zones, and are at different skill and understanding levels. So getting together with all 5 and doing scrims is rough due to the highly varied skill levels. Just trying to find more people and broaden my horizons without having to sort through try hard only inhouses (I know not everyone in TL IH and such are tryhards, not what I'm saying).


How could you possibly know if you like playing with someone if you've never played with them before? Just play matchmaking and/or inhouses, make friends?

Really isn't much more difficult than that.
Prev 1 430 431 432 433 434 6534 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1868
GuemChi 1518
Artosis 629
910 73
Bale 18
ajuk12(nOOB) 17
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
febbydoto9
Counter-Strike
taco 527
minikerr16
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox476
Other Games
summit1g8204
Doublelift1979
JimRising 590
C9.Mang0356
Day[9].tv344
PiGStarcraft277
Maynarde112
CosmosSc2 24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1026
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 104
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv344
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 23m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
8h 23m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
21h 23m
Patches Events
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.