General Discussion - Page 4263
| Forum Index > Dota 2 General |
IRC chatter should remain in IRC - http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=tl.dota2 Posts that relate to topics with their own thread, such as in News, Tournaments or Strategy should go in those threads. | ||
|
beef42
Denmark1037 Posts
| ||
|
Klonere
Ireland4123 Posts
| ||
|
SKC
Brazil18828 Posts
On November 04 2013 00:33 beef42 wrote: isn't faerie dragon a D&D monster also or something? aren't there mythological roots or something? you can't trademark hydra, minotaur or chimera either. i don't understand. You cant trademark wisp as well, but when you create a ball of light unit called Wisp in a similar game to WC3, things get a bit more complicated, which is why its name was changed to Io. | ||
|
beef42
Denmark1037 Posts
too bad for us purists. | ||
|
sacrilegious
Canada863 Posts
And again, I'm also giving examples of alternate names like Pixie Dragon if they were so worried about breaking the copyrights using Faerie Dragon. It doesn't mean people have to start calling them that, they're free to call them their conventional names during game. It's the text on the HUD that should show consistency throughout | ||
|
SKC
Brazil18828 Posts
On November 04 2013 00:43 sacrilegious wrote: Again my point is that it makes it look stupidly inconsistent (if people didn't care, the topic would never present itself in the dev dota forums and playdota) just because it's the past naming convention for these heroes. Hell even the naming convention is inconsistent. Lifestealer was called N'aix for the longest time when I played DOTA from 2003-2007, I've never once having him being referred to as Lifestealer then, and even to this date he's referred more as N'aix when I play than Lifestealer, so why was Lifestealer chosen over N'aix at the end? Same deal with Riki, wtf? Never heard him back then referred to as that, he was exclusively called SA (Stealth Assassin) since forever which typically fits his description. If I'm a newbie to the game wtf does the name "Riki" tell me about the hero, whereas if I chose a hero like Storm Spirit I can see how his abilities relate to his name. I can go on with so many more of these heroes, but I don't want this post to turn into a novel as it already has And again, I'm also giving examples of alternate names like Pixie Dragon if they were so worried about breaking the copyrights using Faerie Dragon. It doesn't mean people have to start calling them that, they're free to call them their conventional names during game. It's the text on the HUD that should show consistency throughout I always heard Rikimaru being called Riki. I also never heard Leshrac being called Tormented Soul, but some places call him that. Some heroes like Mirana were often called by both their names. That's the issue, the standard naming changes depending on the region and who you are talking to. On November 04 2013 00:27 Targe wrote: said he out of habit, if i was gonna give puck a gender it would be female It was a "he" on Dota 1, but the lore in Dota 2 uses "it'. "She" would probally the worst one to pick. | ||
|
BurningSera
Ireland19621 Posts
On November 03 2013 23:57 teapoted wrote: This is false. Valve owns "Defense of the Ancients" as well, they just decided to drop the abbreviation. And they granted permission to use the mark in things like custom maps since that's where it originated. Blizzard may not use it for commercial purposes. http://www.valvesoftware.com/trademarkguidelines.html wut. so valve won the whole thing lol? That seems like a huge deal to me but then why don't they use DotA 2 instead. Didn't mention 'DotA' at all on that page though. | ||
|
SKC
Brazil18828 Posts
On November 04 2013 00:57 BurningSera wrote: wut. so valve won the whole thing lol? That seems like a huge deal to me but then why don't they use DotA 2 instead. Didn't mention 'DotA' at all on that page though. If you search the patents office it only show DOTA as well, Defense of the Ancients only has dead trademarks, but I'm not sure how that really works. The original claim by Valve only refered to DOTA too. | ||
|
[]Phase[]
Belgium927 Posts
On November 04 2013 00:45 SKC wrote: It was a "he" on Dota 1, but the lore in Dota 2 uses "it'. "She" would probally the worst one to pick. When I think of Puck, I think of Puck from A Midsummer Night's Dream. I always thought that was where the name came from, tho I assume that also originated from someplace else. In any case, in the play he's male, therefore I assumed he was some kind of young male faerie dragon or something. Might not be relevant to beliefs on the dota 2 version, but I'm happy with my stance on it. | ||
|
LoLAdriankat
United States4307 Posts
| ||
|
LuckoftheIrish
United States4791 Posts
| ||
|
teapoted
United Kingdom24425 Posts
On November 04 2013 00:43 sacrilegious wrote: You need to realize that you and the people you played with are not the entire playerbase.Again my point is that it makes it look stupidly inconsistent (if people didn't care, the topic would never present itself in the dev dota forums and playdota) just because it's the past naming convention for these heroes. Hell even the naming convention is inconsistent. Lifestealer was called N'aix for the longest time when I played DOTA from 2003-2007, I've never once having him being referred to as Lifestealer then, and even to this date he's referred more as N'aix when I play than Lifestealer, so why was Lifestealer chosen over N'aix at the end? Same deal with Riki, wtf? Never heard him back then referred to as that, he was exclusively called SA (Stealth Assassin) since forever which typically fits his description. If I'm a newbie to the game wtf does the name "Riki" tell me about the hero, whereas if I chose a hero like Storm Spirit I can see how his abilities relate to his name. I can go on with so many more of these heroes, but I don't want this post to turn into a novel as it already has And again, I'm also giving examples of alternate names like Pixie Dragon if they were so worried about breaking the copyrights using Faerie Dragon. It doesn't mean people have to start calling them that, they're free to call them their conventional names during game. It's the text on the HUD that should show consistency throughout Heroes are called different things in different regions and different communities within that region. I know a lot of people who called SA, Riki. And a lot that called him SA. And a lot like myself who used both names. | ||
|
Unleashing
Denmark14978 Posts
| ||
|
SilverStar
Sweden18511 Posts
On November 04 2013 01:13 LoLAdriankat wrote: Dota is way more iconic anyway. People were already referring to the custom map as "Dota" like 7 years ago, rarely did I ever hear someone call it "Defense of the Ancients" in real life. I would even go as far as calling the genre dota-genre except a PR team didn't agree. | ||
|
teddyoojo
Germany22369 Posts
On November 04 2013 01:14 LuckoftheIrish wrote: Fire Jeyo. On November 04 2013 01:17 LuckoftheIrish wrote: Absolute shit. Fire Jeyo. u seem mad friend | ||
|
Najda
United States3765 Posts
| ||
|
TheSubtleArt
Canada2527 Posts
| ||
|
teapoted
United Kingdom24425 Posts
| ||
|
dfs
Russian Federation4050 Posts
On November 04 2013 01:26 teapoted wrote: He is a player for EG which people blame all their losses for ignoring the fact that they have a captain who gets drowned in praise who might actually be a bigger part of the issues that team has. The only issue Fear has is that he is only 1 man and he can't have a team that consists only of himself. | ||
|
beef42
Denmark1037 Posts
On November 04 2013 01:25 TheSubtleArt wrote: As someone who never played Dota 1 I was always annoyed at people who would call heroes by their dota 1 names. Who the hell was PotM, THD, SA, Mortred, Bara, Furion, Krobulus, Naix, Lanaya etc. Really confusing for new players. I've played enough now to have heard almost all of the names, but as a new player it was annoying hearing names that weren't in the game and having no clue who they were referring to, I'd always ask why they wouldnt just use dota 2 names well sometimes they are faster and other times it's just habit. it's the name your brain chooses to associate first. its annoying for new players and we're very sorry for being older than you guys, but just ask and if you don't get a polite response then you know who to mute | ||
| ||
