• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:31
CEST 08:31
KST 15:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8869 users

General Discussion - Page 422

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 420 421 422 423 424 6534 Next
IRC chatter should remain in IRC - http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=tl.dota2

Posts that relate to topics with their own thread, such as in News, Tournaments or Strategy should go in those threads.
Jizla
Profile Joined July 2011
Scotland235 Posts
April 20 2012 18:24 GMT
#8421
Hey Dota 2 thread!!

First post here as only just got e-mail saying I'm in the beta so gonna start downloading soon. First quick question before I get onto what I really wanna ask: I seem to have 2 different Dotas in my Steam library, Dota 2 and Dota 2 Test. Does it matter which one I download?

Anyways, as somebody who has never played the original Dota, where is a good place to start with regards to the different heros? Googling Dota 2 Guides gives quite a few different websites, are there any that are generally considered "better" than the others?

I have some experience with MOBA style (or whatever acronym is being used these days!!) games as I have played LoL on and off for a while so I understand the basics of how the game works, and I have watched a few Dota 2 streams, so I'm not coming in completely blind, but I'm sure there are plenty of differences. One thing I wanted to ask about was denying. On the streams I've watched, while there is always some going on but it doesnt seem like something that will make or break a lane, but its always mentioned as what makes LoL a worse game.

Well I'm sure I will think of more to ask but for now I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks all

J
Vanished.... Like a wrinkly ninja.....
Kupon3ss
Profile Joined May 2008
時の回廊10066 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-20 18:29:55
April 20 2012 18:29 GMT
#8422
Well there are some cute things you can do against Panda ult. If you're soloing against Panda for whatever reason, you can avoid him just ulting and killing you whenever he wants be popping a smoke and just rofl away. (Though I've gotten raped by/done some super luckypro maneuver where the storm Panda dispels the smoke and proceeds to kill you anyways

Panda's late game (think 45 min+) power actually drops off quite a bit since u can just focus the fire Panda, with its low hp and armor, down and negate much of the DPS from his ult

He also suffers from significant mana problems early to mid game to the degree that you'd often go stomp/stats (lol base 330 or whatever mana at lv 11)
When in doubt, just believe in yourself and press buttons
Kahzaar
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden897 Posts
April 20 2012 18:35 GMT
#8423
On April 21 2012 03:24 jimthelege wrote:
Hey Dota 2 thread!!

First post here as only just got e-mail saying I'm in the beta so gonna start downloading soon. First quick question before I get onto what I really wanna ask: I seem to have 2 different Dotas in my Steam library, Dota 2 and Dota 2 Test. Does it matter which one I download?

Anyways, as somebody who has never played the original Dota, where is a good place to start with regards to the different heros? Googling Dota 2 Guides gives quite a few different websites, are there any that are generally considered "better" than the others?

I have some experience with MOBA style (or whatever acronym is being used these days!!) games as I have played LoL on and off for a while so I understand the basics of how the game works, and I have watched a few Dota 2 streams, so I'm not coming in completely blind, but I'm sure there are plenty of differences. One thing I wanted to ask about was denying. On the streams I've watched, while there is always some going on but it doesnt seem like something that will make or break a lane, but its always mentioned as what makes LoL a worse game.

Well I'm sure I will think of more to ask but for now I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks all
J

All the new patches goes up on Test version for a day before proper release so that bugs can be found. When it comes to guides, this is probably a guide that every dota player had read and every new player should. I'm of course biased since I only play Dota, but I think Dota rewards better players in a better way if that make sense. Someone else can probably explain it better than me.
Altsa
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Finland990 Posts
April 20 2012 18:37 GMT
#8424
On April 21 2012 03:24 jimthelege wrote:
Hey Dota 2 thread!!

First post here as only just got e-mail saying I'm in the beta so gonna start downloading soon. First quick question before I get onto what I really wanna ask: I seem to have 2 different Dotas in my Steam library, Dota 2 and Dota 2 Test. Does it matter which one I download?



Download "Dota 2" if you want to play the game. The "Dota 2 Test" is a test version that gets patched one day earlier than the main client. Not really any point to play on it as there are very few servers.
AoD
Spicy_Curry
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States10573 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-20 18:41:39
April 20 2012 18:39 GMT
#8425
On April 21 2012 03:20 crms wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2012 02:50 TheYango wrote:
On April 21 2012 02:37 Spicy_Curry wrote:
There is a difference between using something and using it well. Against a heavy push team a single panda isnt going to do shit other than stomp. You can bait the ult and then just come back 20 seconds later.

"bait" the ult?

If Panda ults, and you choose to to fight it and just run (and his team is there to follow up), you're guaranteed to lose at least 2 people. One person he immediately stuns, and a second that he Cyclones to finish off after they're done killing the first person. And that's assuming that people he Thunder Clapped didn't get caught as well while they were slowed.



yeah my thoughts as well. if you go in hard enough to make him ult, you better be prepared to lose at least 2 heroes in the ensuing retreat/team fight.


You said he held it solo and you talk about follow up? Also a heavy push team isnt going to push base without mek + pipe so picking people off is most likely not going to happen.
High Risk Low Reward
Erasme
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Bahamas15899 Posts
April 20 2012 18:39 GMT
#8426
don't dl dota test, you won't be able to play against human since there is 40people playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI “‘Drain the swamp’? Stupid saying, means nothing, but you guys loved it so I kept saying it.”
NB
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Netherlands12045 Posts
April 20 2012 19:01 GMT
#8427
[image loading]

yay F2P
Im daed. Follow me @TL_NB
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
April 20 2012 19:17 GMT
#8428
lol that looks sick.
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
scorch-
Profile Joined January 2011
United States816 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-20 20:36:07
April 20 2012 20:34 GMT
#8429
On April 21 2012 03:24 jimthelege wrote:
One thing I wanted to ask about was denying. On the streams I've watched, while there is always some going on but it doesnt seem like something that will make or break a lane, but its always mentioned as what makes LoL a worse game.


You're watching a pro player lane against a random pubber. The pro doesn't really give a shit about denying xp compared to getting his items, so he's always going to prioritize farming over denying because it's a pub and he's just having fun.

If you play the game, you'll recognize how important denying is because when you play against someone a little worse than you, you can get level advantages just by denying. On some heroes having a 1 level advantage wins the lane and having a 2 level advantage means free kills.
Firebolt145
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Lalalaland34507 Posts
April 20 2012 21:10 GMT
#8430
Yesterday Synderen went solo mid as Enigma against a dual lane Shadowfiend + Vengeful (don't ask). At one point he had a creep score of 45 kills and 42 denies. The SF was WRECKED.
Moderator
NB
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Netherlands12045 Posts
April 20 2012 21:27 GMT
#8431
On April 21 2012 05:34 scorch- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2012 03:24 jimthelege wrote:
One thing I wanted to ask about was denying. On the streams I've watched, while there is always some going on but it doesnt seem like something that will make or break a lane, but its always mentioned as what makes LoL a worse game.


You're watching a pro player lane against a random pubber. The pro doesn't really give a shit about denying xp compared to getting his items, so he's always going to prioritize farming over denying because it's a pub and he's just having fun.

If you play the game, you'll recognize how important denying is because when you play against someone a little worse than you, you can get level advantages just by denying. On some heroes having a 1 level advantage wins the lane and having a 2 level advantage means free kills.

actually to me its quite the opposite. In pub game you can easily use your skill to mass deny and out lane the enemy. However in competitive dota, deny is a double edge knife and need to be handle with care. Denying in comp. play simply mean to control the position of the creep wave engagement which matter a lot in ganking/rune control/overall laning position.

For example if you watch synderen playing Shadow Shaman/invoker solo mid, you could see that he always deny less than 10 creep to make sure that he is controlling the creep wave position is so his teammates has room to gank. Denying also expose yourself staying in 'engagement range' time to time which could easily cost your life if the enemy is missing 1 or 2 heroes. Unless you are picking a hero that meant to deny the creep waves(lich enigma etc), overall denying is not always a good idea especially if you are lanning vs rune controller.
Im daed. Follow me @TL_NB
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
April 20 2012 21:40 GMT
#8432
On April 21 2012 06:27 NB wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 21 2012 05:34 scorch- wrote:
On April 21 2012 03:24 jimthelege wrote:
One thing I wanted to ask about was denying. On the streams I've watched, while there is always some going on but it doesnt seem like something that will make or break a lane, but its always mentioned as what makes LoL a worse game.


You're watching a pro player lane against a random pubber. The pro doesn't really give a shit about denying xp compared to getting his items, so he's always going to prioritize farming over denying because it's a pub and he's just having fun.

If you play the game, you'll recognize how important denying is because when you play against someone a little worse than you, you can get level advantages just by denying. On some heroes having a 1 level advantage wins the lane and having a 2 level advantage means free kills.

actually to me its quite the opposite. In pub game you can easily use your skill to mass deny and out lane the enemy. However in competitive dota, deny is a double edge knife and need to be handle with care. Denying in comp. play simply mean to control the position of the creep wave engagement which matter a lot in ganking/rune control/overall laning position.

For example if you watch synderen playing Shadow Shaman/invoker solo mid, you could see that he always deny less than 10 creep to make sure that he is controlling the creep wave position is so his teammates has room to gank. Denying also expose yourself staying in 'engagement range' time to time which could easily cost your life if the enemy is missing 1 or 2 heroes. Unless you are picking a hero that meant to deny the creep waves(lich enigma etc), overall denying is not always a good idea especially if you are lanning vs rune controller.


Yea guys mustn't just deny for the sake of it. It's always a question of what the lane is doing and what you want to do with the lane.
scorch-
Profile Joined January 2011
United States816 Posts
April 20 2012 22:31 GMT
#8433
You're both being silly... lane control isn't a consideration when you're denying the last hit to your opponent. They would be doing that damage anyway and if that's really a problem then a single autoattack per wave on the enemy creeps will equalize the lane. I don't think the original quotee was talking about controlling the lane by denying at half hp, rather about not seeing pros denying much in streams.
Ryuu314
Profile Joined October 2009
United States12679 Posts
April 20 2012 22:37 GMT
#8434
On April 21 2012 04:01 NB wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


yay F2P

I'd totally pay for that lolol
Unleashing
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark14978 Posts
April 20 2012 22:40 GMT
#8435
The deny feature in DotA is a lot more than merely getting the deny, it's most importantly used for lane-controlling, secondly it's used to deny the enemy EXP, in some cases you should be more focused on getting last hits than getting denies and in other cases you can go for both, it depends on the lane a lot and it depends on the heroes and so on.
From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!
Stancel
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Singapore15360 Posts
April 20 2012 22:50 GMT
#8436
SingSing finally streaming and I'm nowhere near a PC... I love VODs.
ffxiv enjoyer
NB
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Netherlands12045 Posts
April 20 2012 22:56 GMT
#8437
On April 21 2012 07:31 scorch- wrote:
You're both being silly... lane control isn't a consideration when you're denying the last hit to your opponent. They would be doing that damage anyway and if that's really a problem then a single autoattack per wave on the enemy creeps will equalize the lane. I don't think the original quotee was talking about controlling the lane by denying at half hp, rather about not seeing pros denying much in streams.

NOPE! It is WAY more complicated than just denying the exp of the enemy. If you play sc2 or BW any where close to high level, you would notice 4 dragoon vs 4 dragoon battle will differentiate a lot depend on how you micro the dragoon shots. Same applied here, you cant simply 'equalize' the deny damage simply by hitting enemy creep 1 bonus hit. Not even counting on how you have to anticipate the expectation of the enemy into last hitting. This is something that you will only learn when you do solo mid a lot in high level game and not something that anyone could execute correctly. Its different by match up, team composition and laning.

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY LEARN HOW TO DENY IN DOTA!
Im daed. Follow me @TL_NB
Dead9
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States4725 Posts
April 20 2012 22:58 GMT
#8438
no u actually just deny whenever possible
it's just that a lot of the time other things are more important
like hitting your lane opponent or lasthitting creeps
dragonborn
Profile Joined January 2012
4781 Posts
April 20 2012 23:05 GMT
#8439
singsing streaming and playing with panda

hilarity.
Jizla
Profile Joined July 2011
Scotland235 Posts
April 20 2012 23:07 GMT
#8440
OK, so I've got the beta downloaded and I'm sitting watchin a random game, (LOVE that feature btw), and im just thinking, how flipping complicated is the shop in this game!!!!!!!
Vanished.... Like a wrinkly ninja.....
Prev 1 420 421 422 423 424 6534 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 29m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Larva 455
Hyuk 275
Leta 227
Hyun 93
Hm[arnc] 33
ZergMaN 12
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm225
League of Legends
JimRising 734
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King91
Other Games
summit1g8941
WinterStarcraft523
Nina104
ArmadaUGS64
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick804
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream152
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2293
League of Legends
• Rush1458
• Lourlo994
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3h 29m
INu's Battles
5h 29m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
8h 29m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 29m
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 29m
Replay Cast
16h 29m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 4h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.