• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:38
CEST 01:38
KST 08:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War685.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
ESL Pro Tour for SC2 discontinued [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch)
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13610 users

Going on "Leave" from University to play DotA 2 - Page 4

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 35 36 37 Next All
Ack1027
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States7873 Posts
December 10 2011 07:29 GMT
#61
On December 10 2011 14:58 EternaLEnVy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 14:47 Ack1027 wrote:
The way high level dota works is not in your favor. Most teams only recruit known players and its difficult to get on a known team just from solo play. Dota 2 does not really even have premier leagues right now, so it'd be hard to get known that way too. Canada doesn't have a good international team and north americas best teams have historically not lasted long. Incredibly talented people like fear and hit0mi had to go to international teams for stability. I doubt you will be as good as them even with practice. If you can't get a team that succeeds in major tournaments you won't even get 500 viewers. Dota is a team game, you can't do what you described in the op by yourself.




So Basically if I'm good enough I'll be known, and make money. Thanks I knew that. I've also played with every single top player in NA and Hit0mi, who I considered to be a god, trained me for a week and then invited me to original IHL by ucross. I was rank top 30 within 2 months, Hit0mi was 15, fear was like 10 or something. Merlini first Col.Ezy 2nd.

That wasn't my point but ok. There are glaring inconsistencies in how you portray your skill. Your op says you are rank 2 dotacash tier 2 but any dimwit could tell you that doesn't mean anything. Why wouldn't you say you played with some of NAs top players from the beginning?

However, EVEN ignoring all of that what is the point of this thread? You seem to be clearly convinced you're better than americas current best, and you want to know if owned or twitched makes you more money....something you can easily google. You say you don't need money for two years so why ask, mcdonalds pays more than dendi gets so why do you think you'd outstream him?

Anything regarding streaming would go into the tech section, which there already havebeen numerous guides on. So the only unique question you are asking is bandwidth caps regarding streaming in canada.
Nub4ever
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada1981 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 07:37:39
December 10 2011 07:35 GMT
#62
Well, I'm a fellow Canadian and I can, certainly say ISPs here certainly blow. There are the smaller ISPs around that don't have bandwidth caps or they're mind-blowjngly high. Although ou so have that contract =\ can't really help with the technical aspects. However I do remeber you back while you played for DWi in HoN! IIRC Tarano was there too and he's playing DotA2 now though he's not on a team.

I can't say I completely support relying on streaming as your sole source of income, it's not the most reliable. However, good-luck! Hope to see you on some joindota stream kicking ass in a tournament! I origionally played hon and seeing hon players do well like mouz's team makesh me happeh ^^.

I'm probably nowhere close to your skill level if your anything close to what you used to be but if you want to play some games I'll be up for it! PM me if you want I'm decent at least understand the game though still getting used to how DotAs so much more push oriented than HoN.

Edit: also what the guy on the first page meant about mod is just the moderator on your stream that bans/shutsup dem hayers and spammers.
Dota 3hard5me
Terranist
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States2496 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 07:37:26
December 10 2011 07:37 GMT
#63
On December 10 2011 12:22 Markwerf wrote:
This was quite an obnoxious read.
You seem to be quite the narcistic character, confidence is one thing but having it too much is just annoying.

Also the others are right, you should never leave school for gaming unless you are already having success at that moment. It's a terrible choice to leave school with the expectation that you will do well and make enough money with streaming. If you don't like your education, go do something else or finish it and then go do something else but this entire plan is just rediculous.
This bragging about engsci is also just plain annoying


i agree with markwerf. all the most popular streamers attract viewers because of their personality and the tone of the OP comes off more like a plea for attention or appreciation. listen to the advice of people in this thread and don't take school for granted, especially if you're doing well.

you're free to do whatever you please but be prepared for a massive letdown when people don't show up to your opera.
The Show of a Lifetime
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
December 10 2011 07:44 GMT
#64
If you're quitting school because you want to pursue pro DotA, that's fine.

If you're quitting school because you think you can make money streaming, don't waste your time. Until you become known, you'll be lucky to get 100 viewers on a good day, and even once you do become known I don't think there's a good way to play commercials due to the game length as you stated. If you play commercials 3 times during your games, people aren't going to want to watch your stream. Also, your math is off. It's $8/1k viewers who DO NOT have adblock. Guess what though? 75% of viewers have adblock, so you actually need 4k viewers to make that kind of money. It's just not feasible to make a living this way.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
Little Rage Box
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States84 Posts
December 10 2011 07:47 GMT
#65
Just go for it, if you fail you fail. But wheres the fun in not trying and second guessing yourself everytime you hear Dota2.
You guessed it..... THAT WOULDNT BE FUN. That would actually suck come to think of it.

Don't let the scared people drag you down. I mean I wouldn't do it cause I suck at them interwebs games, but your obviously good, so give it a shot.

Worst that could happen is you don't make it, then you'd have to be a engineer, what a drag that would be. They'd shove that 60k down your throat too whether you tried to work for free or not.
esotericc
Profile Joined July 2011
449 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 07:56:46
December 10 2011 07:55 GMT
#66
I think people forget that there are 10,000 other people with this exact same idea, what makes you think you are any different? Skill? Like I said out of those 10,000 people half are probably more skilled than you, know more people and still can't make it as a pro gamer.

Lets look at this realistically.

Unless you are 1 in a million like destiny (statistically you aren't) you would make more money working a part time janitor job at a government building 3 days a week for 8 hours. I mean do what you want, just realize it's going to fail, the chances of it succeeding are so low that anyone can realistically say it is not possible and 99% of the time they will be right. I don't care if you quit school or shoot a guy in the face to get in jail so you can play DotA all day, that's your business, but fact of the matter is

1) Becoming a pro gamer amongst the hundreds of thousands of people trying is next to impossible
2) Even if you are pro you aren't guarunteed streamers, Rain only has 50 right now and its prime time.
3) Even if you do get streamers unless you have over 2k consistently you are making sweatshop money
4) Pro gaming is not a lucrative career and its much harder work than the majority of actual jobs.

Good luck though man but you will fail : /.
SonSon
Profile Joined June 2011
United States106 Posts
December 10 2011 08:47 GMT
#67
I'm not going to hate like some of the others, but I am going to question why you made this thread in the first place.

These questions you posted are things you can find by searching TL or searching the internet blindfolded. You may blame finals for taking your time in researching but that just tells me you haven't taken the time to think about your HUGE commitment to quit school for a bit and go into gaming.

I'm sorry, but as far as I can see in the OP, all I see is bragging about how good you are to the TL Dota 2 community. You could've simply asked these questions without any of this bragging. If no one can "change your mind", then just go do it and stop posting in here.
EternaLEnVy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada513 Posts
December 10 2011 08:52 GMT
#68
On December 10 2011 16:35 Nub4ever wrote:
Well, I'm a fellow Canadian and I can, certainly say ISPs here certainly blow. There are the smaller ISPs around that don't have bandwidth caps or they're mind-blowjngly high. Although ou so have that contract =\ can't really help with the technical aspects. However I do remeber you back while you played for DWi in HoN! IIRC Tarano was there too and he's playing DotA2 now though he's not on a team.

I can't say I completely support relying on streaming as your sole source of income, it's not the most reliable. However, good-luck! Hope to see you on some joindota stream kicking ass in a tournament! I origionally played hon and seeing hon players do well like mouz's team makesh me happeh ^^.

I'm probably nowhere close to your skill level if your anything close to what you used to be but if you want to play some games I'll be up for it! PM me if you want I'm decent at least understand the game though still getting used to how DotAs so much more push oriented than HoN.

Edit: also what the guy on the first page meant about mod is just the moderator on your stream that bans/shutsup dem hayers and spammers.


Oh, I intend to win tournaments. I don't love games because the game itself is fun, I love it for the competition. If I at anytime where to be discouraged, then that's when my purpose in pursuing this path is lost. I plan to win, and nothing else will be satisfactory.
Hell in my head
EternaLEnVy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada513 Posts
December 10 2011 09:08 GMT
#69
Ok so I changed the OP to contain less information. Though I'm keeping my history at least in MOBA because I want people to be able to compare me with other streamers such as H4NNI AND Testie from HoN who were around my skill level.
Hell in my head
EternaLEnVy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada513 Posts
December 10 2011 09:11 GMT
#70
On December 10 2011 17:47 0oZe wrote:
I'm not going to hate like some of the others, but I am going to question why you made this thread in the first place.

These questions you posted are things you can find by searching TL or searching the internet blindfolded. You may blame finals for taking your time in researching but that just tells me you haven't taken the time to think about your HUGE commitment to quit school for a bit and go into gaming.

I'm sorry, but as far as I can see in the OP, all I see is bragging about how good you are to the TL Dota 2 community. You could've simply asked these questions without any of this bragging. If no one can "change your mind", then just go do it and stop posting in here.


The reason as to why I'm being carefree in terms of streaming is because I've noticed that other Canadians stream so there shouldn't be a limitation that is impossible to overcome.

There are other good reasons as to why I posted this other than getting emotional support in doing this. Not only did people help me with some of the questions I asked (through PM etc as well), but also they shed new light on other things I possibly can worry about (which is one of the main reasons as to why I posted this).
Hell in my head
HyukeN
Profile Joined April 2006
United States85 Posts
December 10 2011 09:53 GMT
#71
Good luck. I got my engineering degree and know how draining it can be. 2nd year was the worst for me and I hear the program you are in is a couple classes harder than what I was doing. I don't see why people think it is so hard to go back to school. I'm sure you do a lot more math and that is probably the hardest thing to get caught up on (or maybe the civil stuff). And if you can afford to take the time off then money probably isn't an issue. You'll make enough money in engineering anyway and you have the rest of your life to do it.

I'm jealous, I want to play dota fulltime too, but I don't think my wife would like it. So let me know your channel and I'll try to live vicariously through you.
Its because we dont really know anything, aruging semantics is the best we have. -Smurg
Scripted
Profile Joined October 2011
Slovenia16 Posts
December 10 2011 10:33 GMT
#72
Heya,

I recommend you check this thread out:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=220584

It should answer all your questions about upload speed, what CPU is recommended, basically everything you need to know about setting up an good, quality stream.

Also I wish you best of luck, and don't forget to post your stream in that DOTA 2 stream compilation thread.

Best regards,
Ryuu314
Profile Joined October 2009
United States12679 Posts
December 10 2011 10:37 GMT
#73
http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=292871
extremely relelvant^ if already posted then sorry.

Honestly, good luck to you, but it's going to be a very very hard path for you. Streaming does not and will not make you money unless you somehow get the popularity either through a super charismatic personality or incredible, raw skill. Breaking into the MOBA pro scene in general is not easy at all, simply because you need a team in order to make a name for yourself. This means not only do you have to be damn good, but you need to know four other people who are willing to play with you who are also damn good.

Good luck.
jonathan1
Profile Joined October 2010
United States395 Posts
December 10 2011 10:43 GMT
#74
dota doesn't have the streaming potential that starcraft has unfortunately. not nearly as many people are willing to sit around for an entire 50 minute game watching a player they have never heard of.
Sega92
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States467 Posts
December 10 2011 10:56 GMT
#75
1st. you need to be a partner before you even make money, so you need hundreds of viewers regularly just to get to that status

2nd. go ahead take leave of school, we could all use a break every now and then just be sure to go back. people who say "stay in school always or you'll be a bum blah blah blah" are just taking everything too seriously do what you think you can be happy doing, like me, minimum wage job and gaming while taking a break from school to get back on my feet after some hard times and I can honestly say I've never felt better in my life
ixmike88
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States67 Posts
December 10 2011 12:59 GMT
#76
i would wait until you have a team that you're content with and a sponsor willing to send you to china
Rice
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States1332 Posts
December 10 2011 13:27 GMT
#77
Have played with OP several times in hon, can vouch that he's sick good. GL with your endeavors bro, ill be rooting for you.
Freedom will be defended at the cost of civil liberties.
Dac
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada538 Posts
December 10 2011 14:48 GMT
#78
Not sure if it was mentioned but your best bet in Canada is Teksavvy with the their extreme-cable you could stream at 480p. If things are working out then maybe you can contact them and upgrade to a business plan for faster speeds. It is unlimited upload/download.

Actually, their high speed dsl offers 7 mpb upload which should be enough for 1080p, but it has a 300 GB cap.
Wombutt
Profile Joined April 2011
United States159 Posts
December 10 2011 15:02 GMT
#79
Dawg follow your dreams, it'll all work out in the end
P.S. You know KiwiKid???
All Dae
Jyxz
Profile Joined November 2009
United States117 Posts
December 10 2011 15:07 GMT
#80
EternalEnvy eh, i still remember you as Sp[i]rit from like 2005 dota =). Going pro eh, good luck noob =).
This is Jimmy
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 35 36 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
The QMC Showmatch 1
CranKy Ducklings56
OSC
08:00
Masters Cup #151: Group A
davetesta13
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O129
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 9308
Artosis 651
GuemChi 208
ZZZero.O 129
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm201
monkeys_forever2
League of Legends
Doublelift6195
JimRising 399
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe62
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3817
Other Games
FrodaN2241
Liquid`RaSZi1888
Livibee411
C9.Mang0402
Maynarde167
Mew2King42
ArmadaUGS36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1163
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 130
• musti20045 34
• Sammyuel 29
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1461
• Scarra1171
• Shiphtur621
Upcoming Events
OSC
12h 22m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 11h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.