• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:50
CEST 22:50
KST 05:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9129 users

Going on "Leave" from University to play DotA 2 - Page 2

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 35 36 37 Next All
.gypsy
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Canada689 Posts
December 10 2011 03:23 GMT
#21
Good luck yo, Fighting~

Don't listen to idiots, do what makes you happy :D
https://www.twitch.tv/gypsy93
Silidons
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2813 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 03:47:12
December 10 2011 03:24 GMT
#22
On December 10 2011 11:34 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
You're going to quit becoming an engineer just because someone dubbed you into the Hitler meme? My friend is an engineer and he makes 60K a year, and you're excited to make $8/ hour? McDonald's pays better.

My main problem is that you clearly don't have the passion for it. It looks like you just consider pro-gaming a regular job and nothing else. You're going to get bored and stop. You even said in your post that you played only 12 hours in one month. Now you're going to do that every day?

I don't see you prioritizing this right. Destiny is pretty much the only player who can make a living off streaming, and that's because of his personality. What makes you think you'd get more than 100 viewers? Being good =/= many viewers.

Sorry if this sounds harsh; I just want you to be realistic. You have a good thing going for you right now.

60k a year is pretty shit for all the shit engineers have to go through. science sucks shit in the US/canada most people think science is not worth it because they're inherently unintelligent, i wanted to become a physics major but i know i can make like 10x more money if i become a CPA.

i say more power to you OP, you only have 1 life to live why not live it in the way that makes you happy?
"God fights on the side with the best artillery." - Napoleon Bonaparte
dtz
Profile Joined September 2010
5834 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 03:27:18
December 10 2011 03:26 GMT
#23
The streaming platform does not matter right now to be honest. As far as I know( and there isn't really anyway to clarify because many streamers are under NDA), those "special rates" are only offered by own3d tv to really special people who attract thousands of people ( Destiny, League of Legends players). Focus more on which you think will be your target audience and get the viewers numbers up first. In general, Twitch is better for NA and Owned is better for Europe. They are both improving though. When you are big and attract ten of thousands people, these people from Twitch and Owned will contact you and offer you special rates.

Don't worry about that right now to be honest. The money is really insignificant anyway if you have less than 1k viewers and considering that Link/Mania/Dendi/Demon/ doesn't even get that many, i don't know if any Dota streamer can right now. Especially because it's so convenient to watch from the in game client. Then again, maybe you can have personality like Destiny that will attract a lot of people. I wish you good luck.

If you need help streaming, just go twitch and contact The Gunrun. Basically the man does magic and has helped A LOT of Pros. And you don't even really need very high bandwidth /upload anyway. You just need the proper settings.

Fishgle
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States2174 Posts
December 10 2011 03:35 GMT
#24
You're going to have to get unlimited bandwidth or something. IF you have capped internet, which you most likely do, there's no way you can stream at decent quality. And if you cant stream in good quality, no one's going to watch.

Also, do you have a team? I wouldn't even consider doing anything before that. You're not going anywhere in DotA without a good team.
aka ChillyGonzalo / GnozL
EternaLEnVy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada513 Posts
December 10 2011 03:42 GMT
#25
On December 10 2011 12:22 Markwerf wrote:
This was quite an obnoxious read.
You seem to be quite the narcistic character, confidence is one thing but having it too much is just annoying.

Also the others are right, you should never leave school for gaming unless you are already having success at that moment. It's a terrible choice to leave school with the expectation that you will do well and make enough money with streaming. If you don't like your education, go do something else or finish it and then go do something else but this entire plan is just rediculous.
This bragging about engsci is also just plain annoying


I don't think I was bragging at all. If I had real pride in being an eng sci and stuff would I really give it up? I didn't mean anything like that. I only posted the video bcuz it was funny, not too sure if its a good thing or bad but that people are taking this post extremely seriously.

I agree that this plan is ridiculous, I don't think any other gamer has ever done this but I don't care, I've thought about it more than everyone here put together and I've decided that its what I want to do, or at least try. Keep in mind that I can come back to school if I fail.
Hell in my head
SafeWord
Profile Joined February 2010
United States522 Posts
December 10 2011 03:46 GMT
#26
Do it, if you need a stream MOD ill be willing to help. Haters gonna hate.
Who needs players when you have God?
EternaLEnVy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada513 Posts
December 10 2011 03:49 GMT
#27
On December 10 2011 12:35 Fishgle wrote:
You're going to have to get unlimited bandwidth or something. IF you have capped internet, which you most likely do, there's no way you can stream at decent quality. And if you cant stream in good quality, no one's going to watch.

Also, do you have a team? I wouldn't even consider doing anything before that. You're not going anywhere in DotA without a good team.


I don't have unlimited bandwidth but I don't mind paying extra money in order to get it. The issue is that I live in Canada, it may be literally unreachable. If I lived in the US I'm sure I can throw some money and get bandwidth but sadly the issue is a bit more complicated and I'm retarded so that's why this thread was made.

As for a team, honestly any team that would take me as I am now is not worth my time. It's not a matter if me being too good or anything, but just how good I have to be. If I'm not one of the best, I may as well give up, and so I don't want a team that would take me for my current skill level. Once DotA 2 starts, I'm sure many people will be driven to play more and a team can be formed then. One reason as to why I've decided to do this now and not after I get my degree is that it's impossible for me to compete with them once I give them time. I can practice retardedly hard but I'm not too sure how talented I really am. That's why I've decided that I need to do this now, i rather give up 1-2 years of my life and realize I can't accomplish anything then regret this for the rest of my life.

Because no matter how old I get, Jaedong and those other gamers are the ones I respect most.
Hell in my head
Kenpachi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States9908 Posts
December 10 2011 03:50 GMT
#28
taking risks is part of life. i wouldnt be one to be like you. Reading the comments about you being a really skilled player, i dont think chances are that low as others make it. gl2u
Nada's body is South Korea's greatest weapon.
Candide
Profile Joined November 2010
456 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 03:56:39
December 10 2011 03:55 GMT
#29
no one will watch you play dota, if you have dota 2 maybe but dota isn't a streamable game, if it was Demon would stream a lot more often. reread see you have the beta, do you have any connections? if not then good luck. being #2 in Tier2 is pretty bad just saying...

<--admin of THR3/competitive..
Talent.L
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
119 Posts
December 10 2011 03:55 GMT
#30
lol kids and their fantasies..
what makes you think you will make it far?
EternaLEnVy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada513 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 04:00:57
December 10 2011 03:56 GMT
#31
I have a hard time grasping my skill because I've never taken gaming that seriously literally (I kind of have but something always stops me for doing it for too long, school, etc.).

I was top 30 in NA (league IHL ORIGINAL) like a century ago when I was still like 14-15 or something. And then I was trolling in stupid leagues like DcL being rank 1 for like 4 seasons and shit but that doesn't tell me anything. I only played HoN for lols but when I hit 2000 psr I was like, meh, what the hell, let's play some tournys. And sadly, even if I was one of the best in HoN, that's HoN, and I personally think top DotA > top HoN. Also when I played DotA during this year's august I played some really shitty league called DotA Cash where I was rank 2 but real pros make fun of others for playing that league >_>.

so ?? ? ? ? ?

Edit: fuck I wanted to quote Kenpachi, I don't use forums much .
Hell in my head
Mystgun
Profile Joined September 2010
Hong Kong311 Posts
December 10 2011 04:01 GMT
#32
On December 10 2011 12:24 Silidons wrote:
60k a year is pretty shit for all the shit engineers have to go through. science sucks shit in the US/canada most people think science is not worth it because they're inherently unintelligent, i wanted to become a physics major but i know i can make like 10x more money if i become a CPA.

i say more power to you OP, you only have 1 life to live why not live it in the way that makes you happy?


Where do you get your figures from? ~60k STARTING salary is decent for an engineer compared to the 40k that an accountant would get until they get their CPA which is another year or two of busting their ass, at which point they still make less than the engineer. I worked as an engineer for 4 years and I made well above 60k by the time I changed jobs. Physics is certainly not something you do for the money.

I agree with your point that you only have one life, but disagree that doing this will make the OP happy in the long run. One failure scenario described here is that things don't go well for a year or two and then you can go back to school. That's a pretty decent safety net and if that's all you had to worry about, by all means you should take a shot. The scenario I would be worried about is when you have committed ~5 years or so into becoming a progamer and you are starting to fall from your top form. At that point it would be much more difficult to go back to school and get a degree, presumably because your leave of absence won't be valid for such a long period and you would also feel committed to eSports due to the time you've committed to that career track. At the same time you will see less and less sponsorships due to dwindling skills.

I encourage you to make your own decision but if you are only thinking 2-3 years ahead you're being a bit myopic and immature. Perhaps you've thought about it through a longer period of time and didn't feel the need to elaborate here, but if you haven't then just take some time to reconsider and maybe reach out to other progamers for their take.
zz_
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden1022 Posts
December 10 2011 04:05 GMT
#33
Can't say I got an answer to your questions, the streaming agreements are somewhat secret and I know nothing of Canadian internet providers, but I wish you good luck with your endeavor I'll be looking out for your stream once you get it going
In the absence of justice, what is sovereignty but organized robbery?
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
December 10 2011 04:06 GMT
#34
streaming is just one thing. the other thing is making a name for yourself, otherwise nobodys going to bother watching because theres plenty of people like you, but theres plenty of ways of doing that at this current time
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
EternaLEnVy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada513 Posts
December 10 2011 04:06 GMT
#35
I'm still wondering if you can stream on both at once trololol. (this might be one really retarded question)
Hell in my head
ruXxar
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Norway5669 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 04:20:15
December 10 2011 04:19 GMT
#36
On December 10 2011 13:06 EternaLEnVy wrote:
I'm still wondering if you can stream on both at once trololol. (this might be one really retarded question)


It is possible.
"alright guys im claiming my role im actually politician I can manipulate a persons vote during the day phase, used it on clarity last phase and forced him to vote for HF. full role name donald trump, definitely town sided". - EBH
EternaLEnVy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada513 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-10 04:22:20
December 10 2011 04:21 GMT
#37
On December 10 2011 13:19 ruXxar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 10 2011 13:06 EternaLEnVy wrote:
I'm still wondering if you can stream on both at once trololol. (this might be one really retarded question)


It is possible.


is it common practice?

i cant imagine why people wouldnt do it if they have a plan for unlimited bandwidth unless lag.
Hell in my head
red_b
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1267 Posts
December 10 2011 05:35 GMT
#38
yo OP Imma give you the perspective of someone who's done the college thing and understands where you are coming from.

I have 2 college degrees. One is an MA in a quantitative field from a top 25 program. I cant even get callbacks right now unless I apply to sell life insurance to dumb asses. I work part time as an RA and make, per week, less than you would streaming with 1,000 viewers.

So all these undergrads who bought that shit their parents told them about college being the most important thing in life, well theyre wrong. College doesnt mean shit. Having parents with connections or going to a good enough school where you can get connections is the ONLY thing that matters right now. If you dont have that and you hate school, quit. I liked school, so I kept going.

Dont listen to a bunch of kids who still have the blinders on, listen to your conscious and do what you want to do. You can always go back to school later, lots of people do. The people who are going to graduate, are going to graduate, it's just a matter of when. if you fail to make a living, you'll be just like them, except you wont have a college degree. But it wont matter, because you cant eat a college degree, you cant sleep in a college degree and now a days it doesnt even mean shit.

I cant help you with streaming. What I can tell you though is that you'll need more dedication to streaming that you have demonstrated that you have for school. I cant judge if you do or not, only you will know.
Those small maps were like a boxing match in a phone booth.
EternaLEnVy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada513 Posts
December 10 2011 05:41 GMT
#39
Also anyone know what the best times to stream are? I wonder if anyone has ever analyzed the peak times for viewers, since I can pretty much control when I sleep and wake up I would like to maximize viewers while I play xD.
Hell in my head
EternaLEnVy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada513 Posts
December 10 2011 05:43 GMT
#40
On December 10 2011 14:35 red_b wrote:
yo OP Imma give you the perspective of someone who's done the college thing and understands where you are coming from.

I have 2 college degrees. One is an MA in a quantitative field from a top 25 program. I cant even get callbacks right now unless I apply to sell life insurance to dumb asses. I work part time as an RA and make, per week, less than you would streaming with 1,000 viewers.

So all these undergrads who bought that shit their parents told them about college being the most important thing in life, well theyre wrong. College doesnt mean shit. Having parents with connections or going to a good enough school where you can get connections is the ONLY thing that matters right now. If you dont have that and you hate school, quit. I liked school, so I kept going.

Dont listen to a bunch of kids who still have the blinders on, listen to your conscious and do what you want to do. You can always go back to school later, lots of people do. The people who are going to graduate, are going to graduate, it's just a matter of when. if you fail to make a living, you'll be just like them, except you wont have a college degree. But it wont matter, because you cant eat a college degree, you cant sleep in a college degree and now a days it doesnt even mean shit.

I cant help you with streaming. What I can tell you though is that you'll need more dedication to streaming that you have demonstrated that you have for school. I cant judge if you do or not, only you will know.


Thanks :D. I've already completely decided though, there isn't anything but limitations beyond my reach that can stop me. Like if I can't stream at all in Canada then I'll be crying for the next month. If I was going to doubt myself after a few comments from random people who obviously don't care enough to respond properly, how am I going to be able to focus on climbing the ladder.
Hell in my head
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 35 36 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 167
RuFF_SC2 153
IndyStarCraft 127
ZombieGrub92
Nina 69
Nathanias 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2486
Shuttle 434
910 62
Mind 62
Bale 12
Counter-Strike
Fnx 747
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu1010
Other Games
summit1g6058
Grubby2644
Beastyqt552
shahzam525
ToD225
C9.Mang0190
UpATreeSC50
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 130
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 34
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2935
League of Legends
• TFBlade598
Other Games
• imaqtpie879
• Shiphtur299
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
2h 10m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 10m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
14h 10m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Patches Events
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.