• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:43
CEST 12:43
KST 19:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12266 users

How to bind multiple actions to a single key?

Forum Index > Dota 2 General
Post a Reply
piratekingflcl
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States27 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-25 23:56:42
March 25 2012 23:17 GMT
#1
As the topic title states, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to bind multiple actions to a single key. In this case, I want to set all of the toggle-able skills to a single key (SPACE). So if I was playing Drow Ranger, I could toggle her Frost Arrows by hitting the space bar. Then, if I played Huskar in the next match, I could hit the space bar to toggle his Burning Spears, without any need to modify my settings.

However, no matter what I try, I can only ever set one ability toggle to the SPACE key. If anybody could give me some pointers on how to go about binding it to multiple actions I would greatly appreciate it.



As a side issue, I've noticed in a few bot games that I will occasionally skip the waiting after hero selection. By which I mean, after I pick my hero, I am immediately taken to my fountain and I can buy items, allocate skill points, move around, etc. Most of the time though, I am forced to sit and wait for the bots to finish their picks before I'm able to do any of those things. Is there a way to always skip the waiting? If not, why does it happen at random intervals?
"Aw man, sick dance moves. He was a star on the Protoss episode So You Think You Can Dance." - Day9
MrTortoise
Profile Joined January 2011
1388 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-26 12:19:58
March 26 2012 12:17 GMT
#2
you dont, its called hax

You can get software that does it but its against the tac of valve (I think blizz also has this rule) and most games for that matter.


Its kinda cheating dont you think? (aggregating several actions into 1 can only be bad for a game)
That would be like having an awp switch script so you can reload and move faster / noscope ....

to toggle abilities on and off hold alt and hit their hot key (qwert by default iirc)


greggy
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom1483 Posts
March 26 2012 12:33 GMT
#3
You just press alt + hotkey to do that, it's not that hard.
Lexpar
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
1813 Posts
March 26 2012 13:10 GMT
#4
What keys do you guys use for items??? Out of habit from HoN I bound my items to alt+Q/W/E/A/S/D, but I guess that explains why I cant easily turn a toggle spell on or off.
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-26 13:14:02
March 26 2012 13:13 GMT
#5
I think you can rebind the toggle ability button from alt to space so you just have to press space + w or whatever. It's a bit easier than alt for me. I hate pressing alt.

For items I use zxcvbg
Aetir
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada21 Posts
March 26 2012 19:48 GMT
#6
On March 26 2012 22:13 floor exercise wrote:
I think you can rebind the toggle ability button from alt to space so you just have to press space + w or whatever.


90% sure that won't work. Ctrl/shift/alt should be the only modifiers the game notices by default. For items I use 1,2,3,`,mouse button 4 and space. I use f1-4 for camera hotkeys and control groups.
Alt takes a bit of getting used to but if you keep at it you should be fine in no time.
"Spaceships don't come equipped with rearview mirrors"
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
March 26 2012 20:12 GMT
#7
On March 26 2012 22:10 Lexpar wrote:
What keys do you guys use for items??? Out of habit from HoN I bound my items to alt+Q/W/E/A/S/D, but I guess that explains why I cant easily turn a toggle spell on or off.

2 3 f2 f3 ` Tab
Moderator
RedTail
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States104 Posts
March 27 2012 20:11 GMT
#8
you dont, its called hax

You can get software that does it but its against the tac of valve (I think blizz also has this rule) and most games for that matter.


Its kinda cheating dont you think? (aggregating several actions into 1 can only be bad for a game)
That would be like having an awp switch script so you can reload and move faster / noscope ....

to toggle abilities on and off hold alt and hit their hot key (qwert by default iirc)
you dont, its called hax

You can get software that does it but its against the tac of valve (I think blizz also has this rule) and most games for that matter.


Its kinda cheating dont you think? (aggregating several actions into 1 can only be bad for a game)
That would be like having an awp switch script so you can reload and move faster / noscope ....

to toggle abilities on and off hold alt and hit their hot key (qwert by default iirc)


Mr.Tortoise, he's not saying multiple actions with one keybinding. He's saying multiple abilities on one key
MrTortoise
Profile Joined January 2011
1388 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-28 19:09:50
March 28 2012 19:06 GMT
#9
ahh well im illetirate then it seems

i have my slots bound to zxcvbn

altho not often i have more than 4 active slots so its not often a problem.


Anyway to do what he wants ... ie bind one key that usually uses q to space and another ability that uses w to space youd need hax ... just checed and yes, frost arrows and burning whatever are not on the same key by default. Thats why i went down the hax route as youd need to tell soemthing to remap keys that is external to dota
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
March 28 2012 19:47 GMT
#10
On March 29 2012 04:06 MrTortoise wrote:
Anyway to do what he wants ... ie bind one key that usually uses q to space and another ability that uses w to space youd need hax ... just checed and yes, frost arrows and burning whatever are not on the same key by default. Thats why i went down the hax route as youd need to tell soemthing to remap keys that is external to dota

You can actually bind multiple commands to a single key by putting keybinds in your .cfg files.

I'm just not sure what the exact console command is for toggle autocast.
Moderator
Yoshi-
Profile Joined October 2008
Germany10227 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-28 19:50:04
March 28 2012 19:49 GMT
#11
On March 29 2012 04:06 MrTortoise wrote:
ahh well im illetirate then it seems

i have my slots bound to zxcvbn

altho not often i have more than 4 active slots so its not often a problem.


Anyway to do what he wants ... ie bind one key that usually uses q to space and another ability that uses w to space youd need hax ... just checed and yes, frost arrows and burning whatever are not on the same key by default. Thats why i went down the hax route as youd need to tell soemthing to remap keys that is external to dota

stupid?

He could just change his key everytime he plays another hero.

And you can change this in the cfg for each hero in the game folder.
Sindriss
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark263 Posts
March 28 2012 20:05 GMT
#12
Nothing hax against it, it is very common in dota1 and hon. In hon you just use qwer for abilities.

In dota you would use warkeys or similar to custom set the hotkeys as you would like. And itemhotkeys, e.g. ctrl a uses item slot 1 etc.
LuckoftheIrish
Profile Joined November 2011
United States4791 Posts
March 28 2012 20:12 GMT
#13
On March 26 2012 22:10 Lexpar wrote:
What keys do you guys use for items??? Out of habit from HoN I bound my items to alt+Q/W/E/A/S/D, but I guess that explains why I cant easily turn a toggle spell on or off.


I use QWE(DC)R for skills and TYFGVB for items. At some point I'll upgrade my mouse and change Y and B to mouse buttons.
On Twitter @GosuGamers_LotI | Grubby has a huge head!
MrTortoise
Profile Joined January 2011
1388 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-29 08:05:20
March 29 2012 08:00 GMT
#14
On March 29 2012 05:05 Sindriss wrote:
Nothing hax against it, it is very common in dota1 and hon. In hon you just use qwer for abilities.

In dota you would use warkeys or similar to custom set the hotkeys as you would like. And itemhotkeys, e.g. ctrl a uses item slot 1 etc.


I was saying the 3rd party software is hax ... not rebinding in game.

In wc3 you couldn't rebind keys iirc hence the external software. A lot of other games would classify any piece of software that modified memory addresses as hacks.


Ryuu314
Profile Joined October 2009
United States12679 Posts
March 29 2012 08:34 GMT
#15
the title is kinda misleading. when i think multiple actions to a single key I think of macros. :\ maybe that's just me tho
JohnQPublic
Profile Joined April 2010
United States123 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-30 13:11:38
March 30 2012 11:19 GMT
#16
Alright, you have to find your cfg directory inside of the steam directory. Usually Programfiles> Steam> steamapps> common> dota2 beta> dota> cfg.

Then you create a text document and add:

alias autocast_all "dota_ability_autocast 0; dota_ability_autocast 1; dota_ability_autocast 2; dota_ability_autocast 3; dota_ability_autocast 4; dota_ability_autocast 5"

bind "z" autocast_all

Replace "z" right after bind to whatever you want to bind it to. Then after that you need to change the name of the document to autoexec.cfg. You must change the extension of the file from txt to cfg so if you use windows7/vista you must enable changing extensions.

After that you can either type "exec autoexec" into console every time or you can add:

bind "F5" "exec autoexec.cfg"

To the end of your config.cfg file (the same directory as where you added autoexec.cfg). That will launch autoexec when you hit f5 which you will have to do every time you launch dota, changing the F11 part will allow you to bind it to whatever you want.

Edit: Forgot to add that you have to make the config.cfg file read only and if you do that you will no longer be able to change settings from the ingame menu.
non sum qualis eram
piratekingflcl
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States27 Posts
March 31 2012 19:31 GMT
#17
Thanks to you, JohnQPublic, I finally got it to work!

I had tried something very similar to what you suggested, but, in all of the scripts that I wrote, I had put quotation marks around the alias name, which I think was messing it up. After removing the quotation marks, it seemed to take this time.

So thanks for all of your help!
"Aw man, sick dance moves. He was a star on the Protoss episode So You Think You Can Dance." - Day9
GGOPphatpak
Profile Joined September 2011
United States87 Posts
May 10 2012 02:37 GMT
#18
Is it possible to make it like ctrl+q etc etc, just like starcraft?
Starcraft 2 is one of the few games that makes me throw my keyboard out the window
Fishgle
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States2174 Posts
May 10 2012 03:33 GMT
#19
On May 10 2012 11:37 GGOPphatpak wrote:
Is it possible to make it like ctrl+q etc etc, just like starcraft?

yeap. but the problem is that some heros have autocastable skills in either Q W or E, so there's no way to make a universal "this turns on my autocast ability" button.
aka ChillyGonzalo / GnozL
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
Krystianer vs TBD
CranKy Ducklings136
CranKy Ducklings SOOP21
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 11291
FanTaSy 1399
Hyuk 845
Horang2 577
BeSt 507
Pusan 244
Stork 196
Killer 116
Zeus 109
Mind 105
[ Show more ]
sorry 103
Last 97
Hyun 57
EffOrt 53
ggaemo 52
PianO 49
ToSsGirL 41
Snow 37
Bale 35
Hm[arnc] 30
JYJ 21
Aegong 16
Sacsri 11
Noble 6
zelot 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe161
Counter-Strike
fl0m825
byalli648
x6flipin198
Other Games
gofns37785
singsing2543
ArmadaUGS76
Mew2King71
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick700
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream79
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
INu's Battles
1h 17m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
4h 17m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 17m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 17m
Replay Cast
12h 17m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 17m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 23h
Soma vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.