• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:44
CEST 05:44
KST 12:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8551 users

SPL Casters (SNM/Whiplash) Appreciation/Criticism

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 22 23 24 Next All
nmetasch
Profile Joined April 2012
United States600 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-21 02:49:20
January 21 2013 02:41 GMT
#1
Hey Teamliquid,

I've been a devoted SPL viewer since the hybrid league and am enjoying it very much. At first I was skeptical about the new casters, Whiplash and Supernovamaniac, mostly based on the negative reception the community displayed towards them, as well as a couple of mistakes they made while casting.

Over the course of SPL so far, however, I've grown to like them both very much. I really admire the amount of work they put into recording statistics, interesting storyline, and incorperating both bw and sc2 history. I also really enjoy the Korean translations for the interviews! As whiplash said himself, they've had mostly negative reception, and its hurtful, but they are trying very hard to improve. They are clearly putting in the work, that much is indisputable. I am also impressed with their increase in game knowledge.

I was curious what everyone else thought of them after having let them settle in for a bit of time. Please post your constructive criticism, things you enjoy about their casting, things they can work on, etc.

PLEASE, if you post criticism, do so with respect. If people get too crazy and start hatefully bashing, I'll PM a mod and ask them to close the thread!

Poll: What do you think of whiplash and SNM's casting now?

I dislike it. (812)
 
51%

It needs improvement. (560)
 
35%

I enjoy it! (235)
 
15%

1607 total votes

Your vote: What do you think of whiplash and SNM's casting now?

(Vote): I enjoy it!
(Vote): It needs improvement.
(Vote): I dislike it.



And seeing as I know they both read the forums pretty religiously, I want to say directly to them, thank you for your hard work and dedication. You may think nobody likes your casting, but that is a byproduct of the people with negative opinions being more vocal than the guys with positive opinions. Many of the community go through it, even guys like incontrol, so don't let it get you too down.
Son of Gnome
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States777 Posts
January 21 2013 02:46 GMT
#2
Whiplash is cool, but snm... yeah....
Whatever happens, happens
triforks
Profile Joined November 2010
United States370 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-21 02:46:52
January 21 2013 02:46 GMT
#3
love the PL casts!
nmetasch
Profile Joined April 2012
United States600 Posts
January 21 2013 02:47 GMT
#4
On January 21 2013 11:46 Son of Gnome wrote:
Whiplash is cool, but snm... yeah....


I personally like whiplash more as well, but I feel like snm is growing a lot. The only thing I really don't like about his casting is that he can't handle whiplashes jokes and kinda blows him off and doesn't play along.
Ricoic
Profile Joined May 2012
39 Posts
January 21 2013 02:48 GMT
#5
I haven't gotten to watch them since R2 started because of work and odd hours but I noticed significant improvement from the start till I stopped watching. I think they will develop into good casters as time goes on.
"Take what you can, Give nothing back!"
jax1492
Profile Joined November 2009
United States1632 Posts
January 21 2013 02:48 GMT
#6
I watched the matches last night, and enjoy being able to watch with English commentary. I don't know the casters by their voices so i can't say which one it was but felt one of them was trying to do a bit to much off topic/color commentary ... example one kept saying something along the lines that fantasy was the final boss over and over i almost shut it off ... it think both will get better, over all i do enjoy the cast mainly because its in English.
ConGee
Profile Joined May 2012
318 Posts
January 21 2013 02:48 GMT
#7
They were awful at the start, but they've gotten a bit better recently. Still need to get better though.
nmetasch
Profile Joined April 2012
United States600 Posts
January 21 2013 02:48 GMT
#8
On January 21 2013 11:48 jax1492 wrote:
I watched the matches last night, and enjoy being able to watch with English commentary. I don't know the casters by their voices so i can't say which one it was but felt one of them was trying to do a bit to much off topic/color commentary ... example one kept saying something along the lines that fantasy was the final boss over and over i almost shut it off ... it think both will get better, over all i do enjoy the cast mainly because its in English.


That was whiplash.
URLateral
Profile Joined October 2012
275 Posts
January 21 2013 02:48 GMT
#9
On January 21 2013 11:46 triforks wrote:
love the PL casts!

then you should see a doctor, because I think something is seriously wrong with you
nmetasch
Profile Joined April 2012
United States600 Posts
January 21 2013 02:50 GMT
#10
On January 21 2013 11:48 URLateral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 21 2013 11:46 triforks wrote:
love the PL casts!

then you should see a doctor, because I think something is seriously wrong with you


I love them too. Just because we have differing opinions doesn't mean anything
Goldfish
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
2230 Posts
January 21 2013 02:50 GMT
#11
I feel everyone should be nicer to casters in general when posting about them (again, you can post criticism/feedback but it can be constructive) because both of them read TL and post on these forums. Whiplash made a few blogs regarding his experiences casting too.
https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/741495/biggest-explorer-annoyance-automatic-sorting-windows-7-server-2008-r2-and-vista#details Allow Disable Auto Arrange in Windows 7+
dinosrwar
Profile Joined September 2011
1290 Posts
January 21 2013 02:50 GMT
#12
Whiplash is fine -- I rather enjoyed the first day's solo casts when SNM hadn't arrived yet. But I find myself mostly listening to the korean commentary or alternate casts because SNM's presence is so jarring. He seems to do a lot of "prescriptive" commentary as to what he would do in that situation, and I find that incredibly distracting since a lot of it is either wrong / overly presumptuous. Also, he tends to call the situation wrong a lot, and Whiplash has to correct him. It's generally a frustrating experience to try to listen to and most of the time I'll switch audio after about 30 minutes or so.
Emzeeshady
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Canada4203 Posts
January 21 2013 02:50 GMT
#13
--- Nuked ---
StarMoon
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada682 Posts
January 21 2013 02:51 GMT
#14
On January 21 2013 11:48 ConGee wrote:
They were awful at the start, but they've gotten a bit better recently. Still need to get better though.


I agree.

In general Whiplash is alright as a caster but SNM is abysmal.

He has no idea what he is talking about, frequently even calls obvious action wrong, has fairly poor English in general and so adds nothing as either an analytical or a play-by-play caster.

I am not super picky with casters but between their bad casting and the constant, repetitive adds (even over top of commentary some times) I frequently turn off this stream.
Zenbrez
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada5973 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-21 02:56:53
January 21 2013 02:53 GMT
#15
I've seen people say SNM has a speech impediment, does he legitimately have one, or were they just referring to his constant stumbling over words (which he has since stopped). He uses a lot of odd language, uses the word "huge" wayy too often, it's like it's the only word in his vocabulary that refers to a "large amount of something"; "create"
instead of "make", among many others that just sound wrong. I know he's not from America or anything, but I know he knows the appropriate words.

I only ask because I'm a stutterer, not as bad as I used to be, but I used to substitute words that were easier to say, even if it sounded a bit odd. If he does have a speech impediment, then I can relate and understand. But if it's not.. then it's something he really needs to work on.

I also get the impression that has long as he's constantly talking, he's doing his job. Far more often than not, he's just random things that are barely cohesive, let alone correct (lots of casters say a lot of wrong this, but I've never been so annoyed by the quantity of it til I've heard SNM cast every week).

I really feel like being a good caster just isn't in SNM's personality. I could be wrong, probably am, whatever, but I really cannot stand the guy.

I like Whiplash though, no complaints.

edit - They work hard, it's obvious they do a lot of talking between eachother on their days off to see what they can improve on, I appreciate that (not that we should expect less). But the above are my thoughts as of now
Refer to my post.
musai
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada552 Posts
January 21 2013 02:53 GMT
#16
Another one of these threads? Nothing has good has come out of these, I hope SNM and Whiplash does what Tasteless does and ignores this thread.
faiza
Profile Joined June 2012
United States451 Posts
January 21 2013 02:54 GMT
#17
No option for 'I dislike it currently, but could see myself liking the casts more as they continue to improve', but that would be my vote. Sure, they've gotten better, but they still have a long way to go.
Zenbrez
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada5973 Posts
January 21 2013 02:58 GMT
#18
On January 21 2013 11:54 faiza wrote:
No option for 'I dislike it currently, but could see myself liking the casts more as they continue to improve', but that would be my vote. Sure, they've gotten better, but they still have a long way to go.

?

Look at the voting options again. You'll find what you're looking for.
Refer to my post.
nmetasch
Profile Joined April 2012
United States600 Posts
January 21 2013 02:58 GMT
#19
On January 21 2013 11:54 faiza wrote:
No option for 'I dislike it currently, but could see myself liking the casts more as they continue to improve', but that would be my vote. Sure, they've gotten better, but they still have a long way to go.


Thats kinda what I was going for with the needs improvement option lol. Like a middle ground.
MisterFred
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2033 Posts
January 21 2013 02:59 GMT
#20
SNM talks over Whiplash a lot (which is extra bad, as Whiplash is actually decent), he says nonsensical things (directly contradicts himself with his wording), has either a speech impediment or a super-strong accent that's simply unacceptable for a professional broadcaster of anything, has no idea what is going on in the game (has actually criticized a player for "throwing away lings" when counterattacks were the only thing keeping that player in the game, among other horrible misreads of the action) and fakes emotion (sudden gg's having no relation to the tone of the previous cast).

He's really, really bad, and I no longer turn into the twitch stream because of SNM's casting. I only watch the Korean-audio stream, or if that isn't working well, I don't watch Proleague at all.

I don't have anything against the guy personally, but call a spade a spade. He's the worst SC2 caster I've heard yet.
"The victor? Not the highest scoring, nor the best strategist, nor the best tactitian. The victor was he that was closest to the Tao of FFA." -.Praetor
1 2 3 4 5 22 23 24 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft507
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta96
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft539
PiGStarcraft507
RuFF_SC2 196
SpeCial 81
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1027
Hyuk 54
Leta 43
Bale 30
Noble 20
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm198
Counter-Strike
taco 585
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox743
C9.Mang0292
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor638
Other Games
summit1g9623
Coldzera 818
JimRising 535
Sick109
ViBE63
ArmadaUGS36
Liquid`Ken4
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick748
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream93
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 105
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo810
• Stunt304
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
6h 17m
Online Event
7h 17m
FEL
12h 17m
AI Arena Tournament
13h 17m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
15h 17m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.