• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:09
CEST 06:09
KST 13:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8436 users

Racial Slurs in QuanticDestiny's Stream - Page 119

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 117 118 119 120 121 139 Next
Think twice before hitting post; this thread will be moderated for idiocy and useless posts. Consider this a warning.
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
May 01 2012 23:23 GMT
#2361
On May 02 2012 08:17 Arghmyliver wrote:
Do you guys remember in Harry Potter when everyone was like "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" and "You-Know-Who"

and then there was Dumbledore who was like -

"No, it's more impressive if you act like you've grown a pair.

"Voldemort.
"VoldemortVoldemortVoldemort."


I think you missed the point of that

Not saying his name perpetuated the idea of fearing Voldemort.Calling him by his name in a way killed the idea of fear

Saying whatever racial slurs perpetuates the idea of racism, especially using it as an insult. Normalizing those words doesn't kill the idea of racism it just normalizes it.

"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
Linoge20
Profile Joined September 2011
Denmark17 Posts
May 01 2012 23:23 GMT
#2362
This whole thing is so sad. Grown people getting worked up over what some guy said, not who he is or what he believes. Words are magical they can convey the most beautiful idea, love, and the most hateful one, murder. We use words to describe our intentions and our feelings, to express our selves to other people so that they may understands us. And there is the problem, people treat words differently. This will always be true, the internet connects millions of people together and all have different opinions and beliefs.

But we do not tolerate, that we do not. We must go after people who do things we do not like, we do this cause they are different and in this case, reminds us of things that should never have happened. Nigger, the word was use to describe black people in america, use to describe them as less then human. White people did this, and for this. we most pay. Black people took the word and made it their own, they took it and made it into something of respect and dignity. The opposite of what it was, the word has a new meaning when black people use it. But not white, no. Can I say it ? I am Danish, not American, I have nothing to do with the word nigger other then the fact that my skin color is white. So can I ?

I don't know. Do I use it ? Yes, I use it when I am talking to my friend, for is Chinese, he calls me up and says: What up my niggar! And I reply: You are way more black then me niggar-boya! Am I now a racist ? Do I hate black people ? Do I believe I am above them ? No, I do not. But can I say the word in public ? I do not know.

That is fear, fear of a word that I have nothing to do with. I fear the day I say it and people come running after me screaming racist and want my head on a platter. Its fear, its not rational. For me there is nothing I can do, I use it and because I am a no one, no one cares. But Destiny is not, a no one, and people do care. He uses words people don,t like, and now here we are.

Do we need to stop using these words ? They are hurtful ? Maybe they are, I do not know. But I fear them, I am a white male. I am evil, I cannot say niggar cause white people made black people into slaves. I cannot say fag, cause I am heterosexualm and I cannot say rape, cause I am a man.

I wish I was a black lesbian woman, then I would be safe. Because for me, what is important, is not what words you say, or what partner you choose, nor is it your gender. Whats important to me is what you do, what you mean and what you feel. It is not what other people think you do, nor what you mean, and never what you feel.
You can't prove a negative.
IshinShishi
Profile Joined April 2012
Japan6156 Posts
May 01 2012 23:24 GMT
#2363
On May 02 2012 07:39 Rekrul wrote:
relevant:
+ Show Spoiler +

Serious question, if people started using said words with the rationale presented in the video, would they get sent to disneyland?
So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie
Fischbacher
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada666 Posts
May 01 2012 23:24 GMT
#2364
On May 02 2012 08:17 Arghmyliver wrote:
Do you guys remember in Harry Potter when everyone was like "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" and "You-Know-Who"

and then there was Dumbledore who was like -

"No, it's more impressive if you act like you've grown a pair.

"Voldemort.
"VoldemortVoldemortVoldemort."

-_-

Did you even read Harry Potter? The reason why using the word Voldemort was important is that people didn't use the name out of fear from Voldemort. A better comparison, frankly, would be how people use euphemism for death because they are afraid of it.

Also, the reason why saying the name Voldemort was important isn't because don't have meaning, its precisely because words DO have meaning. And in that context, it was important to face the word's meaning, to face reality.

I don't get why you posted that...
yeastiality
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada374 Posts
May 01 2012 23:24 GMT
#2365
On May 02 2012 08:22 r.Evo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 08:17 dUTtrOACh wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:12 Arghmyliver wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:07 babylon wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:51 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:47 Vari wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:42 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:40 Vari wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:39 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:34 Fueled wrote:
[quote]
These words still having meaning.

Even though some of these words are used differently now in some cases, it doesn't mean that they aren't used for hate anymore.


Here's the thing. They only have meaning if you let them have meaning. So don't let them have meaning, and don't attract it by making a thread about it.

sorry I can't read this post I'm not letting any of these words have meaning

I guess that means they don't and you're just posting gibberish. weird strategy.


Don't know why you have to get childish about it. The topic of discussion is racial slurs; no where did I say anything about words in general.

"they only have meaning if you give them meaning"

you wanted me to only apply that to racial slurs? that seems really convenient don't you think?

words have socially accepted meaning (unless you want to say they don't, at all). you live in a society. deal with it.

ESPECIALLY deal with it when you earn money off of people watching you play starcraft in this society. folks are gonna react, folks are gonna believe things based off the language you choose to use. if you don't want them to say "hey destiny sure SOUNDS like a racist" maybe... don't use racial slurs?


Dude the point is that we should try to move society to where these words don't offend people. We could stop so many problems if this gets initiated. Instead of explaining the obvious, work on shifting society towards those beliefs. I already live this way. If it's that easy for me to completely remove any offensive meaning from a word I hear or see, I can't see how it'd be so difficult for everyone else to. Just do it guys. Enjoy the shit that you watch and stop worrying about little things like this.

Some people simply didn't and don't have it as easy as you do.

Don't you think, instead of telling people to "man up" and to "grow a thicker skin" and to "remove meaning from words," it might just be a lot better to teach kids not to use slurs? Pretty sure the pain/emotional distress some words cause greatly outweighs the inconvenience of having to choose a different word. Some people simply cannot dissociate "the bully on the playground who outed me to the entire school and called me faggot" from the word "faggot." You can't just tell people to "stop being offended" by it; links between words and meanings go deeper than that, and certain associations can't be removed. As a generally unempathetic person, it strikes me as ironic that I'm saying this, but ... dude, have some empathy. :/


Why would that help? If the words are charged with that meaning because you forbid their use, you simply perpetuate the issue. What if you instead teach that words are just words and their meaning is entirely situational? I can't see how making the word taboo could possible help it be less of a problem.


The word "gook" isn't in the process of being made taboo and isn't really very open to interpretation in the context it was used in. Guy with Asian sounding name cheeses you, you call him a gook. I don't see the other meanings I'm supposed to be able to draw from this... I mean, he did call that guy a "gook", right?


Words are exactly that. Just words.

Just like tools aren't good or bad, words aren't.

---> It doesn't really matter if he calls someone "faggot", "asshole", "nigger" or whatever. It's an insult directed at that person at that time unless someone can prove a racist intent. He's an insulting person and that's what he should be judged for.

Not more, not less.


There's a great deal of philosophy of technology which deals with whether tools can be inherently good or bad. For instance, the tool of language could be taken as inherently good (provides expressivity to humans, allows ideas to be explained and refined). This could be taken as a reason for an absolutist position on "never censoring someone's use of language." Just sayin'.
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
May 01 2012 23:25 GMT
#2366
On May 02 2012 08:22 r.Evo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 08:17 dUTtrOACh wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:12 Arghmyliver wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:07 babylon wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:51 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:47 Vari wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:42 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:40 Vari wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:39 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:34 Fueled wrote:
[quote]
These words still having meaning.

Even though some of these words are used differently now in some cases, it doesn't mean that they aren't used for hate anymore.


Here's the thing. They only have meaning if you let them have meaning. So don't let them have meaning, and don't attract it by making a thread about it.

sorry I can't read this post I'm not letting any of these words have meaning

I guess that means they don't and you're just posting gibberish. weird strategy.


Don't know why you have to get childish about it. The topic of discussion is racial slurs; no where did I say anything about words in general.

"they only have meaning if you give them meaning"

you wanted me to only apply that to racial slurs? that seems really convenient don't you think?

words have socially accepted meaning (unless you want to say they don't, at all). you live in a society. deal with it.

ESPECIALLY deal with it when you earn money off of people watching you play starcraft in this society. folks are gonna react, folks are gonna believe things based off the language you choose to use. if you don't want them to say "hey destiny sure SOUNDS like a racist" maybe... don't use racial slurs?


Dude the point is that we should try to move society to where these words don't offend people. We could stop so many problems if this gets initiated. Instead of explaining the obvious, work on shifting society towards those beliefs. I already live this way. If it's that easy for me to completely remove any offensive meaning from a word I hear or see, I can't see how it'd be so difficult for everyone else to. Just do it guys. Enjoy the shit that you watch and stop worrying about little things like this.

Some people simply didn't and don't have it as easy as you do.

Don't you think, instead of telling people to "man up" and to "grow a thicker skin" and to "remove meaning from words," it might just be a lot better to teach kids not to use slurs? Pretty sure the pain/emotional distress some words cause greatly outweighs the inconvenience of having to choose a different word. Some people simply cannot dissociate "the bully on the playground who outed me to the entire school and called me faggot" from the word "faggot." You can't just tell people to "stop being offended" by it; links between words and meanings go deeper than that, and certain associations can't be removed. As a generally unempathetic person, it strikes me as ironic that I'm saying this, but ... dude, have some empathy. :/


Why would that help? If the words are charged with that meaning because you forbid their use, you simply perpetuate the issue. What if you instead teach that words are just words and their meaning is entirely situational? I can't see how making the word taboo could possible help it be less of a problem.


The word "gook" isn't in the process of being made taboo and isn't really very open to interpretation in the context it was used in. Guy with Asian sounding name cheeses you, you call him a gook. I don't see the other meanings I'm supposed to be able to draw from this... I mean, he did call that guy a "gook", right?


Words are exactly that. Just words.

Just like tools aren't good or bad, words aren't.

---> It doesn't really matter if he calls someone "faggot", "asshole", "nigger" or whatever. It's an insult directed at that person at that time unless someone can prove a racist intent. He's an insulting person and that's what he should be judged for.

Not more, not less.


Tools have certain uses, you pretending that a hammer is a screwdriver doesn't change the fact that the hammer has its history and design of uses that pin it to a certain role.
"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
domane
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Canada1606 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 23:32:16
May 01 2012 23:25 GMT
#2367
Every person has to deal with individuals that they find less reasonable than them. It is very difficult to change how people view and react to a variety of situations, so it is easier to choose to avoid offending anyone or cater to the lowest common denominator.

If Destiny wants to exercise his current speech, then he chooses the more difficult option (perhaps less difficult for him than for others involved in esports).

(1) I think complaining to sponsors while knowing the possible consequences is an extreme overreaction. I find it immoral to attack a person's livelihood in an attempt to 'punish' him, for insulting other players using words associated with racism.

(2) We deal with 'less reasonable' individuals in a way that each of us thinks is best.
yeastiality
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada374 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 23:27:16
May 01 2012 23:26 GMT
#2368
On May 02 2012 08:25 domane wrote:
It is very difficult to change how people views and react to a variety of situations, so it is easier to choose to avoid offending anyone.


This vast oversimplification and holier-than-thou approach offends me. You should stop posting.\

(Do you see?)
ChairManMao467
Profile Joined September 2011
United States35 Posts
May 01 2012 23:27 GMT
#2369
Really? Just mind your own damn business, people like you are the ones who waste all their time giving after someone you wish you could be. Just leave now
Arghmyliver
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States1081 Posts
May 01 2012 23:28 GMT
#2370
Wikipedia:

Racism is generally understood as either belief that different racial groups are characterized by intrinsic characteristics or abilities and that some such groups are therefore naturally superior to others [1][2] or as practices that discriminate against members of particular racial groups,[1] for example by perpetuating unequal access to resources between groups.[3]

Anyone going to debate Destiny on whether he thinks one race is superior to another?
Now witness their attempts to fly from tree to tree. Notice they do not so much fly as plummet.
Fallians
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada242 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 23:33:52
May 01 2012 23:29 GMT
#2371
nvm useless post
If you attack before 15minutes.. It's cheese....
Fischbacher
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada666 Posts
May 01 2012 23:29 GMT
#2372
On May 02 2012 08:20 Calebcalebcaleb wrote:
I fail to see why this is important now. He has not changed suddenly to doing this. This is Steven's Internet Persona that has been going on for over 2 years. Are you so bored that you have to try and bring it up and make a big deal of it right now?

If you don't like what he says, do not watch his stream. Its very simple. No need to make posts about it on TL.

The problem is that he is part of Quantic. What Destiny does on his stream reflects not just on him but also on people like NaNiwa, SaSe, Flo and their sponsors. Destiny isn't just a random streamer.
daxile
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada829 Posts
May 01 2012 23:31 GMT
#2373
Destiny should just not be featured and just be forgotten. Dude just attracts the wrong attention and he plays LoL more than SC2 now. When was the last time he won anything?

I think he makes good points regarding the use of racial slurs but the screenshot looks like he clearly said it to hurt his opponent who beat him, it was as if he said it out of frustration to sting the person a little. He wouldn't have used the word 'gook' if his opponent didn't type out asian characters or if his name wasn't asian itself, when was the last time he called Minigun a 'gook' or CatZ a 'gook'?
to live is to suffer
Ballistixz
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1269 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 23:34:25
May 01 2012 23:31 GMT
#2374
i find it HIGHLY amusing/interesting that destiny uses offensive words like faggot/retard/autism/down syndrome/ etc in order to legitly insult someone 24/7, yet the only word being focused on is "gook"

the word faggot is even in the damn screenshot yet ppl only look at the "racist" remark rofl....

this community amazes me sometimes... every other word is 100% ok as long as its not a racial comment that is comparable to the infamous and dark "N" word.


fuck the fact that faggot is offending homosexuals

fuck the fact retards offend the mentally handicaped

he called me a gook, and that just crosses the line.

r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
May 01 2012 23:31 GMT
#2375
On May 02 2012 08:25 windsupernova wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 08:22 r.Evo wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:17 dUTtrOACh wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:12 Arghmyliver wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:07 babylon wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:51 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:47 Vari wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:42 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:40 Vari wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:39 Vysage wrote:
[quote]

Here's the thing. They only have meaning if you let them have meaning. So don't let them have meaning, and don't attract it by making a thread about it.

sorry I can't read this post I'm not letting any of these words have meaning

I guess that means they don't and you're just posting gibberish. weird strategy.


Don't know why you have to get childish about it. The topic of discussion is racial slurs; no where did I say anything about words in general.

"they only have meaning if you give them meaning"

you wanted me to only apply that to racial slurs? that seems really convenient don't you think?

words have socially accepted meaning (unless you want to say they don't, at all). you live in a society. deal with it.

ESPECIALLY deal with it when you earn money off of people watching you play starcraft in this society. folks are gonna react, folks are gonna believe things based off the language you choose to use. if you don't want them to say "hey destiny sure SOUNDS like a racist" maybe... don't use racial slurs?


Dude the point is that we should try to move society to where these words don't offend people. We could stop so many problems if this gets initiated. Instead of explaining the obvious, work on shifting society towards those beliefs. I already live this way. If it's that easy for me to completely remove any offensive meaning from a word I hear or see, I can't see how it'd be so difficult for everyone else to. Just do it guys. Enjoy the shit that you watch and stop worrying about little things like this.

Some people simply didn't and don't have it as easy as you do.

Don't you think, instead of telling people to "man up" and to "grow a thicker skin" and to "remove meaning from words," it might just be a lot better to teach kids not to use slurs? Pretty sure the pain/emotional distress some words cause greatly outweighs the inconvenience of having to choose a different word. Some people simply cannot dissociate "the bully on the playground who outed me to the entire school and called me faggot" from the word "faggot." You can't just tell people to "stop being offended" by it; links between words and meanings go deeper than that, and certain associations can't be removed. As a generally unempathetic person, it strikes me as ironic that I'm saying this, but ... dude, have some empathy. :/


Why would that help? If the words are charged with that meaning because you forbid their use, you simply perpetuate the issue. What if you instead teach that words are just words and their meaning is entirely situational? I can't see how making the word taboo could possible help it be less of a problem.


The word "gook" isn't in the process of being made taboo and isn't really very open to interpretation in the context it was used in. Guy with Asian sounding name cheeses you, you call him a gook. I don't see the other meanings I'm supposed to be able to draw from this... I mean, he did call that guy a "gook", right?


Words are exactly that. Just words.

Just like tools aren't good or bad, words aren't.

---> It doesn't really matter if he calls someone "faggot", "asshole", "nigger" or whatever. It's an insult directed at that person at that time unless someone can prove a racist intent. He's an insulting person and that's what he should be judged for.

Not more, not less.


Tools have certain uses, you pretending that a hammer is a screwdriver doesn't change the fact that the hammer has its history and design of uses that pin it to a certain role.


So what? People have been killed with hammers, knives and guns. That doesn't make any of those inherently bad. What makes a murderer is the intention behind using the tool, not the tool itself.

It's exactly the same in this case. Is the intent of calling someone "gook" or "nigger" to convey the believe that their entire race should be extinct or is it some random thing that's meant to insult a person for something? You can't tell unless you know the context.

In this case, he lost, was pissed, called him names. So what. Last time I checked the easiest way to disolve that situation is to answer "So what? He's a dick." ... "Omgomgomg he's a racist!!" or "OMG how can he do that?!?!" only gives him publicity and all the more reasons to keep doing it.
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
yeastiality
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada374 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 23:34:05
May 01 2012 23:32 GMT
#2376
On May 02 2012 08:31 r.Evo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 08:25 windsupernova wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:22 r.Evo wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:17 dUTtrOACh wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:12 Arghmyliver wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:07 babylon wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:51 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:47 Vari wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:42 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:40 Vari wrote:
[quote]
sorry I can't read this post I'm not letting any of these words have meaning

I guess that means they don't and you're just posting gibberish. weird strategy.


Don't know why you have to get childish about it. The topic of discussion is racial slurs; no where did I say anything about words in general.

"they only have meaning if you give them meaning"

you wanted me to only apply that to racial slurs? that seems really convenient don't you think?

words have socially accepted meaning (unless you want to say they don't, at all). you live in a society. deal with it.

ESPECIALLY deal with it when you earn money off of people watching you play starcraft in this society. folks are gonna react, folks are gonna believe things based off the language you choose to use. if you don't want them to say "hey destiny sure SOUNDS like a racist" maybe... don't use racial slurs?


Dude the point is that we should try to move society to where these words don't offend people. We could stop so many problems if this gets initiated. Instead of explaining the obvious, work on shifting society towards those beliefs. I already live this way. If it's that easy for me to completely remove any offensive meaning from a word I hear or see, I can't see how it'd be so difficult for everyone else to. Just do it guys. Enjoy the shit that you watch and stop worrying about little things like this.

Some people simply didn't and don't have it as easy as you do.

Don't you think, instead of telling people to "man up" and to "grow a thicker skin" and to "remove meaning from words," it might just be a lot better to teach kids not to use slurs? Pretty sure the pain/emotional distress some words cause greatly outweighs the inconvenience of having to choose a different word. Some people simply cannot dissociate "the bully on the playground who outed me to the entire school and called me faggot" from the word "faggot." You can't just tell people to "stop being offended" by it; links between words and meanings go deeper than that, and certain associations can't be removed. As a generally unempathetic person, it strikes me as ironic that I'm saying this, but ... dude, have some empathy. :/


Why would that help? If the words are charged with that meaning because you forbid their use, you simply perpetuate the issue. What if you instead teach that words are just words and their meaning is entirely situational? I can't see how making the word taboo could possible help it be less of a problem.


The word "gook" isn't in the process of being made taboo and isn't really very open to interpretation in the context it was used in. Guy with Asian sounding name cheeses you, you call him a gook. I don't see the other meanings I'm supposed to be able to draw from this... I mean, he did call that guy a "gook", right?


Words are exactly that. Just words.

Just like tools aren't good or bad, words aren't.

---> It doesn't really matter if he calls someone "faggot", "asshole", "nigger" or whatever. It's an insult directed at that person at that time unless someone can prove a racist intent. He's an insulting person and that's what he should be judged for.

Not more, not less.


Tools have certain uses, you pretending that a hammer is a screwdriver doesn't change the fact that the hammer has its history and design of uses that pin it to a certain role.


So what? People have been killed with hammers, knives and guns. That doesn't make any of those inherently bad. What makes a murderer is the intention behind using the tool, not the tool itself.


Alright, since you're going to debate this without studying it first, here we go...

What is the original non-violent intention of the gun? Is it for opening beers?
What about the nuclear bomb? What positive role could it ever be construed to have in some abstract sense?

What purpose were these things built for by humans? What are they used to do in practical terms?
dUTtrOACh
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada2339 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 23:34:32
May 01 2012 23:33 GMT
#2377
On May 02 2012 08:22 r.Evo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 08:17 dUTtrOACh wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:12 Arghmyliver wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:07 babylon wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:51 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:47 Vari wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:42 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:40 Vari wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:39 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:34 Fueled wrote:
[quote]
These words still having meaning.

Even though some of these words are used differently now in some cases, it doesn't mean that they aren't used for hate anymore.


Here's the thing. They only have meaning if you let them have meaning. So don't let them have meaning, and don't attract it by making a thread about it.

sorry I can't read this post I'm not letting any of these words have meaning

I guess that means they don't and you're just posting gibberish. weird strategy.


Don't know why you have to get childish about it. The topic of discussion is racial slurs; no where did I say anything about words in general.

"they only have meaning if you give them meaning"

you wanted me to only apply that to racial slurs? that seems really convenient don't you think?

words have socially accepted meaning (unless you want to say they don't, at all). you live in a society. deal with it.

ESPECIALLY deal with it when you earn money off of people watching you play starcraft in this society. folks are gonna react, folks are gonna believe things based off the language you choose to use. if you don't want them to say "hey destiny sure SOUNDS like a racist" maybe... don't use racial slurs?


Dude the point is that we should try to move society to where these words don't offend people. We could stop so many problems if this gets initiated. Instead of explaining the obvious, work on shifting society towards those beliefs. I already live this way. If it's that easy for me to completely remove any offensive meaning from a word I hear or see, I can't see how it'd be so difficult for everyone else to. Just do it guys. Enjoy the shit that you watch and stop worrying about little things like this.

Some people simply didn't and don't have it as easy as you do.

Don't you think, instead of telling people to "man up" and to "grow a thicker skin" and to "remove meaning from words," it might just be a lot better to teach kids not to use slurs? Pretty sure the pain/emotional distress some words cause greatly outweighs the inconvenience of having to choose a different word. Some people simply cannot dissociate "the bully on the playground who outed me to the entire school and called me faggot" from the word "faggot." You can't just tell people to "stop being offended" by it; links between words and meanings go deeper than that, and certain associations can't be removed. As a generally unempathetic person, it strikes me as ironic that I'm saying this, but ... dude, have some empathy. :/


Why would that help? If the words are charged with that meaning because you forbid their use, you simply perpetuate the issue. What if you instead teach that words are just words and their meaning is entirely situational? I can't see how making the word taboo could possible help it be less of a problem.


The word "gook" isn't in the process of being made taboo and isn't really very open to interpretation in the context it was used in. Guy with Asian sounding name cheeses you, you call him a gook. I don't see the other meanings I'm supposed to be able to draw from this... I mean, he did call that guy a "gook", right?


Words are exactly that. Just words.

Just like tools aren't good or bad, words aren't.

---> It doesn't really matter if he calls someone "faggot", "asshole", "nigger" or whatever. It's an insult directed at that person at that time unless someone can prove a racist intent. He's an insulting person and that's what he should be judged for.

Not more, not less.


See, when I call you a stupid asshole, it may or may not hurt your feelings, even if my intention was to hurt your feelings. When I call you: Jew-killer, Adolf, Nazi, Kraut, Blockhead, Fritz, Germ or Hans Bitterman, while you may not be offended, I just singled out every German who reads what I said and makes an impression of me based upon it.

EDIT: missed a but, but I didn't need one
twitch.tv/duttroach
McDutch
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands184 Posts
May 01 2012 23:34 GMT
#2378
sick of those people getting offended by words and shit.. srsly? i've been called names aswell, everyone has ever had been called something.. why would you be offended? words don't hurt, and if they do hurt you, than you should just grow up.

When im going out, and someone calls me names, i laugh, and walk away, because i don't give a shit...

srsly people, grow some balls..

im not saying Destiny's behaviour is good, but let him be the person he is..
naniwa, grubby, white-ra, ret
yeastiality
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada374 Posts
May 01 2012 23:34 GMT
#2379
On May 02 2012 08:33 dUTtrOACh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2012 08:22 r.Evo wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:17 dUTtrOACh wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:12 Arghmyliver wrote:
On May 02 2012 08:07 babylon wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:51 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:47 Vari wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:42 Vysage wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:40 Vari wrote:
On May 02 2012 07:39 Vysage wrote:
[quote]

Here's the thing. They only have meaning if you let them have meaning. So don't let them have meaning, and don't attract it by making a thread about it.

sorry I can't read this post I'm not letting any of these words have meaning

I guess that means they don't and you're just posting gibberish. weird strategy.


Don't know why you have to get childish about it. The topic of discussion is racial slurs; no where did I say anything about words in general.

"they only have meaning if you give them meaning"

you wanted me to only apply that to racial slurs? that seems really convenient don't you think?

words have socially accepted meaning (unless you want to say they don't, at all). you live in a society. deal with it.

ESPECIALLY deal with it when you earn money off of people watching you play starcraft in this society. folks are gonna react, folks are gonna believe things based off the language you choose to use. if you don't want them to say "hey destiny sure SOUNDS like a racist" maybe... don't use racial slurs?


Dude the point is that we should try to move society to where these words don't offend people. We could stop so many problems if this gets initiated. Instead of explaining the obvious, work on shifting society towards those beliefs. I already live this way. If it's that easy for me to completely remove any offensive meaning from a word I hear or see, I can't see how it'd be so difficult for everyone else to. Just do it guys. Enjoy the shit that you watch and stop worrying about little things like this.

Some people simply didn't and don't have it as easy as you do.

Don't you think, instead of telling people to "man up" and to "grow a thicker skin" and to "remove meaning from words," it might just be a lot better to teach kids not to use slurs? Pretty sure the pain/emotional distress some words cause greatly outweighs the inconvenience of having to choose a different word. Some people simply cannot dissociate "the bully on the playground who outed me to the entire school and called me faggot" from the word "faggot." You can't just tell people to "stop being offended" by it; links between words and meanings go deeper than that, and certain associations can't be removed. As a generally unempathetic person, it strikes me as ironic that I'm saying this, but ... dude, have some empathy. :/


Why would that help? If the words are charged with that meaning because you forbid their use, you simply perpetuate the issue. What if you instead teach that words are just words and their meaning is entirely situational? I can't see how making the word taboo could possible help it be less of a problem.


The word "gook" isn't in the process of being made taboo and isn't really very open to interpretation in the context it was used in. Guy with Asian sounding name cheeses you, you call him a gook. I don't see the other meanings I'm supposed to be able to draw from this... I mean, he did call that guy a "gook", right?


Words are exactly that. Just words.

Just like tools aren't good or bad, words aren't.

---> It doesn't really matter if he calls someone "faggot", "asshole", "nigger" or whatever. It's an insult directed at that person at that time unless someone can prove a racist intent. He's an insulting person and that's what he should be judged for.

Not more, not less.


See, when I call you a stupid asshole, it may or may not hurt your feelings, even if my intention was to hurt your feelings. When I call you: Jew-killer, Adolf, Nazi, Kraut, Blockhead, Fritz, Germ or Hans Bitterman, while you may not be offended, BUT I just singled out every German who reads what I said and makes an impression of me based upon it.

EDIT: missed a but


Didn't you mostly just single out Nazi germans? You wouldn't want to confuse "Germans" with "Nazi Germans" because it would make you look like a fraud...
memcpy
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States459 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-01 23:35:27
May 01 2012 23:35 GMT
#2380
Destiny does not deserve to be featured on TL. Why does TeamLiquid endorse a player who acts like this?
Prev 1 117 118 119 120 121 139 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 239
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 614
Larva 192
Leta 66
NaDa 57
TT1 15
Icarus 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm220
League of Legends
JimRising 701
Other Games
summit1g10415
WinterStarcraft398
Mew2King113
ViBE84
ArmadaUGS44
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1389
BasetradeTV250
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream141
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta34
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki25
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota233
League of Legends
• Rush1170
• Lourlo840
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5h 51m
INu's Battles
7h 51m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
10h 51m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 51m
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 51m
Replay Cast
18h 51m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 6h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 11h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.