• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:25
CEST 22:25
KST 05:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8524 users

[Q] HOTS - warhound aoe VS mutalisks

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
BluemoonSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
SoCal8933 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-24 15:35:05
October 24 2011 15:34 GMT
#1
Just a quick question for anyone that had the opportunity to play with heart of the swarm this weekend:

How does the Anti-Air AOE work for the warhound? I don't want to make assumptions around it, but I would hope its a little more forgiving than the thor's splash. I know they reduced the range compared to a thor (as well as the damage. i believe its only 8 dmg (4, +4 to light) but im curious how many attacks, the attack rate, and how the splash is done.

Thanks in advance for your time!
LiquidDota Staff@BluemoonGG_
adwodon
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom592 Posts
October 24 2011 15:39 GMT
#2
Curious about this myself, I think the splash was supposed to be smaller, however because you'll have more of them you cant be magic boxed (where splash becomes irrelevant) as easily as I assume 6 warhounds will fair similar to 4 or so magic boxed thors.

I guess this means you wont be able to hold off a tonne of mutas with just a warhound and turrets, but en masse magic box will become much less effective, factoring in pdd, allowing more tanks, making mech super epic :D
crown77
Profile Joined February 2011
United States157 Posts
October 26 2011 17:49 GMT
#3
I heard Dustin B. say that the splash is bigger than the thor's was. I'm curious if you can use them in tvp as a goliath. I passionately hated that you like had to make marines in the beginning of tvp if you smelled voidray or even robo units you kind of need marines.

I don't know if it's going to stay this way but I heard in one of those blizzcon videos that david kim said the warhound does extra damage vs mech... and he said that every unit besides the zealot was mech in the protoss army.... im not sure if flying units are counted in that or not but kind of exciting that they want to see more mech in tvp in hots.
Amazements
Profile Joined August 2010
United States40 Posts
October 26 2011 17:54 GMT
#4
On October 27 2011 02:49 crown77 wrote:
I heard Dustin B. say that the splash is bigger than the thor's was. I'm curious if you can use them in tvp as a goliath. I passionately hated that you like had to make marines in the beginning of tvp if you smelled voidray or even robo units you kind of need marines.

I don't know if it's going to stay this way but I heard in one of those blizzcon videos that david kim said the warhound does extra damage vs mech... and he said that every unit besides the zealot was mech in the protoss army.... im not sure if flying units are counted in that or not but kind of exciting that they want to see more mech in tvp in hots.



Nope, the two attacks are separate; the ground attack does 10 +10 to mech, rather than being a passive ability that increases damage to mech.
ALPINA
Profile Joined May 2010
3791 Posts
October 26 2011 18:03 GMT
#5
On October 27 2011 02:49 crown77 wrote:
I heard Dustin B. say that the splash is bigger than the thor's was. I'm curious if you can use them in tvp as a goliath. I passionately hated that you like had to make marines in the beginning of tvp if you smelled voidray or even robo units you kind of need marines.

I don't know if it's going to stay this way but I heard in one of those blizzcon videos that david kim said the warhound does extra damage vs mech... and he said that every unit besides the zealot was mech in the protoss army.... im not sure if flying units are counted in that or not but kind of exciting that they want to see more mech in tvp in hots.


If it's really bigger then it's stupid. Splash should be smaller, just like archon's.
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
Nash
Profile Joined October 2011
151 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-26 18:08:22
October 26 2011 18:07 GMT
#6
On October 27 2011 02:49 crown77 wrote:
I heard Dustin B. say that the splash is bigger than the thor's was. I'm curious if you can use them in tvp as a goliath. I passionately hated that you like had to make marines in the beginning of tvp if you smelled voidray or even robo units you kind of need marines.

I don't know if it's going to stay this way but I heard in one of those blizzcon videos that david kim said the warhound does extra damage vs mech... and he said that every unit besides the zealot was mech in the protoss army.... im not sure if flying units are counted in that or not but kind of exciting that they want to see more mech in tvp in hots.


are you sure you're not confusing it with his talk about the tempest?

am i sure im not the one that is confused?

hmm.

edit: regarding the big splash radius
SwiftAusterity
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2 Posts
October 26 2011 18:07 GMT
#7
I played a few dozen games (did nothing but queue MP for the entire first day) mostly as Z but the few T matches I played the warhound def. felt like the goliath.

It was costed about what I expected it to be for that purpose. It moved a lot faster than I was initially expecting. I didn't get a chance to play it against any fast or standard muta openings but by costing and stats alone (health, damage) it filled the role pretty well.

Random queueing for sc-mp at blizzcon is a mixed bag. Most of everyone is there for WoW so the quality of players you run into (not that I'm even in Masters or anything) is usually fairly poor so realistic scenarios are not expected.
Nash
Profile Joined October 2011
151 Posts
October 26 2011 18:11 GMT
#8
On October 27 2011 03:07 SwiftAusterity wrote:
I played a few dozen games (did nothing but queue MP for the entire first day) mostly as Z but the few T matches I played the warhound def. felt like the goliath.

It was costed about what I expected it to be for that purpose. It moved a lot faster than I was initially expecting. I didn't get a chance to play it against any fast or standard muta openings but by costing and stats alone (health, damage) it filled the role pretty well.

Random queueing for sc-mp at blizzcon is a mixed bag. Most of everyone is there for WoW so the quality of players you run into (not that I'm even in Masters or anything) is usually fairly poor so realistic scenarios are not expected.


isnt it ridiculously big though? from what ive seen it looks as big as the thor, maybe slightly smaller?
Zorgaz
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden2951 Posts
October 26 2011 18:38 GMT
#9
Any1 has any recording off it shooting It's AA attack?!

Would like to see it =/
Furthermore, I think the Collosi should be removed! (Zorgaz -Terran/AbrA-Random/Zorg-Dota2) Guineapigs <3
ShatterZer0
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1843 Posts
October 26 2011 18:44 GMT
#10
On October 27 2011 03:03 Alpina wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 27 2011 02:49 crown77 wrote:
I heard Dustin B. say that the splash is bigger than the thor's was. I'm curious if you can use them in tvp as a goliath. I passionately hated that you like had to make marines in the beginning of tvp if you smelled voidray or even robo units you kind of need marines.

I don't know if it's going to stay this way but I heard in one of those blizzcon videos that david kim said the warhound does extra damage vs mech... and he said that every unit besides the zealot was mech in the protoss army.... im not sure if flying units are counted in that or not but kind of exciting that they want to see more mech in tvp in hots.


If it's really bigger then it's stupid. Splash should be smaller, just like archon's.


The Archons splash was always pretty big... actually.. EXACTLY the same size as a Siege Tank shot. Archons have MORE splash then Thors.

User was warned for this post
A time to live.
Trealador
Profile Joined August 2011
United States207 Posts
October 26 2011 18:47 GMT
#11
It should be an effective counter that magic boxing can reduce the damage of but not completely erase the effectiveness of the unit like they do against the Thor now. Thors are supposed to be the counter but when you magic box 3-4 thors become nothing against the 20+ mutas.
Like a man.
FinestHour
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18466 Posts
October 26 2011 18:50 GMT
#12
The aa is 4,+4 to light? How underwhelming...
thug life.                                                       MVP/ex-
Lunchador
Profile Joined April 2010
United States776 Posts
October 26 2011 18:52 GMT
#13
On October 27 2011 03:38 Zorgaz wrote:
Any1 has any recording off it shooting It's AA attack?!

Would like to see it =/


It's the thor AA missiles. =P

It's most likely placeholder.
Defender of truth, justice, and noontime meals!
Mr_Kyo
Profile Joined November 2010
United States269 Posts
October 26 2011 18:54 GMT
#14
It'll probably be just like Thor missile, except he won't shoot 100 of them. I would like to see as well.
GentleDrill
Profile Joined June 2011
United Kingdom672 Posts
October 26 2011 18:55 GMT
#15
On October 27 2011 03:50 FinestHour wrote:
The aa is 4,+4 to light? How underwhelming...


Obviously it consists of multiple shots, just like the Thor.

I really wish whatever genius wrote down the stats had thought to include that. I can't count the number of people who've looked at that one number and assumed that's the total damage it deals per shot.
Lurk
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany359 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-26 19:01:25
October 26 2011 18:59 GMT
#16
On October 27 2011 03:03 Alpina wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 27 2011 02:49 crown77 wrote:
I heard Dustin B. say that the splash is bigger than the thor's was. I'm curious if you can use them in tvp as a goliath. I passionately hated that you like had to make marines in the beginning of tvp if you smelled voidray or even robo units you kind of need marines.

I don't know if it's going to stay this way but I heard in one of those blizzcon videos that david kim said the warhound does extra damage vs mech... and he said that every unit besides the zealot was mech in the protoss army.... im not sure if flying units are counted in that or not but kind of exciting that they want to see more mech in tvp in hots.


If it's really bigger then it's stupid. Splash should be smaller, just like archon's.


Err, well, archon splash area is four times that of the thor. So if it was just like archon's it would be bigger than the thor's :D

P.S.: The warhound has 4 attacks with it's anti-air cannon, each doing 4+4 damage, so a maximum of 32 damage per volley (a thor has 48).

User was warned for this post
koppik
Profile Joined April 2010
United States676 Posts
October 26 2011 18:59 GMT
#17
The thor's splash radius was the smallest splash radius in the game already. I don't think they can really make it smaller for the warhound.

Like archon splash radius for the warhound would be good, I think.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
October 26 2011 19:14 GMT
#18
On October 27 2011 03:59 koppik wrote:
The thor's splash radius was the smallest splash radius in the game already. I don't think they can really make it smaller for the warhound.

Like archon splash radius for the warhound would be good, I think.


If you want to give it archon splash radius, then give it archon range too (3). Archons are "supposed" to be a good counter to mutalisks right now, but "how much damage you deal" against mutalisks is completely irrelevant when most units can't catch them (except blink stalkers and stimmed marines, or a lucky storm.)
TheOGBlitzKrieg
Profile Joined June 2010
United States346 Posts
October 26 2011 19:26 GMT
#19
On October 27 2011 04:14 phyre112 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 27 2011 03:59 koppik wrote:
The thor's splash radius was the smallest splash radius in the game already. I don't think they can really make it smaller for the warhound.

Like archon splash radius for the warhound would be good, I think.


If you want to give it archon splash radius, then give it archon range too (3). Archons are "supposed" to be a good counter to mutalisks right now, but "how much damage you deal" against mutalisks is completely irrelevant when most units can't catch them (except blink stalkers and stimmed marines, or a lucky storm.)


if archons were supposed to be the counter for mutalisks why did they make the tempest? shoulda just buffed archons
ALPINA
Profile Joined May 2010
3791 Posts
October 26 2011 19:51 GMT
#20
On October 27 2011 03:44 ShatterZer0 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 27 2011 03:03 Alpina wrote:
On October 27 2011 02:49 crown77 wrote:
I heard Dustin B. say that the splash is bigger than the thor's was. I'm curious if you can use them in tvp as a goliath. I passionately hated that you like had to make marines in the beginning of tvp if you smelled voidray or even robo units you kind of need marines.

I don't know if it's going to stay this way but I heard in one of those blizzcon videos that david kim said the warhound does extra damage vs mech... and he said that every unit besides the zealot was mech in the protoss army.... im not sure if flying units are counted in that or not but kind of exciting that they want to see more mech in tvp in hots.


If it's really bigger then it's stupid. Splash should be smaller, just like archon's.


The Archons splash was always pretty big... actually.. EXACTLY the same size as a Siege Tank shot. Archons have MORE splash then Thors.


really? o_O

It always looked like thors have way bigger splash...
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 35m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 475
ProTech166
BRAT_OK 101
Railgan 84
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 1521
Dewaltoss 121
Trap 27
Bale 16
Dota 2
420jenkins530
Counter-Strike
fl0m4120
Fnx 590
minikerr2
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4395
Liquid`Hasu619
Other Games
summit1g4637
Liquid`RaSZi1994
FrodaN893
B2W.Neo489
XaKoH 242
ToD235
C9.Mang0187
RotterdaM102
UpATreeSC71
QueenE68
Mew2King38
PPMD22
JuggernautJason13
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV201
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream18
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 40
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2958
Other Games
• Shiphtur1124
• imaqtpie830
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 35m
Patches Events
19h 35m
The PondCast
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 14h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.