• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:14
CEST 13:14
KST 20:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8912 users

"Rape" and Game Culture

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 31 32 33 Next All
SpicyCrab
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
402 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 21:27:22
August 13 2010 18:56 GMT
#1
Gamers love rape.

Okay, maybe they don't love rape. But they certainly love the word. Gamers throw this word around like it's going out of style.

You headshot that guy, oh you "raped him"

TLO banshee rushed some poor guy, oh "that noob got raped."

And it's not just immature idiots and kids that seem so preoccupied with the word. I've heard MLG commentators almost say it.

I can tell that he doesn't mean to use it, but I have even caught Day9 using the word during casts. Always with a slight hesitation and barely noticeable "oops expression" afterwards. I don't mean to call him out here, but I think it illustrates my point.

When you call people on it the response is always the same, "well we're not talking about 'real' rape, it's just an expression."

I want every one to understand what that word means to people. To those who have had personal experience with rape (I am not such a person btw) it brings to mind horrid memories, horrific thoughts of powerlessness; intense agony and pain.

What's worse, when the word is used in passing by ignorant gamers it cheapens its meaning, it is as if you're saying, "oh this isn't a big deal at all."

I knew a girl (a rape victim) who used to become enraged when my gamer friends would talk about "raping each other."

And they would say "sorry, I didn't mean to; I meant to say I owned him"

And she would say "It makes me really sad that that means the same thing."

And we wonder why women don't want to join our communities and play us?

Now I know a lot of people will think they are being clever when they reply to this thread and say "yeah I hate rape let's rape rape." Or make some other idiotic comment which only reinforces my point. Please don't be one of those idiots.

Understand how it makes our community look from the outside, and how it makes gamers as a whole look to the rest of the world. We do not have to stoop so low just to have fun.

So this is just an open letter to TL and really all of gaming. Stop using this word, there are many substitutes which are much less abhorrent. Please understand that rape is a real problem, a real issue, and that it is an emotionally charged word that can cause real emotional damage to those who hear.

There is no justification and no excuse for the use of this word in the flippant way that it is thrown around. Just stop.

On August 14 2010 choboPEon wrote


I'm all for removing words like rape and faggot and have been for a while. There are so many good, colorful curse words to use that don't recall terrible things like that. But people seem quite set on raping faggots.

Rape is a specific, terrible act that a lot of women suffer silently from. Slaughter is something cows go through before we eat steak. In gaming, rape means to utterly and completely dominate, not unlike the sexual meaning at all.

Only tiny minority or people associate the word rape with sexual assault? Come on, man. Come the fuck on.

This is nothing like the word niggardly being called racist because thats fucking stupid but associating the word rape with sexual assault is so completely understandable that it boggles the mind that someone would deny it.


On August 14 2010 neohero9 wrote:
The amount of resistance to changing a single word in one's vocabulary to one which doesn't make people weep hysterically because of trauma, BECAUSE it makes people weep hysterically because of TRAUMA, is amazing.

It's not "something bad that happened to them". Being punched in the face in a barfight is something bad; dropping a hammer on your toe is something bad.

Having someone forcefully shove their cock inside of you AGAINST YOUR WILL is beyond "something bad".


Edit If you do not think that our community trivializes rape and equates the word with the real thing I ask you to reference this thread. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=29491


TO BE CLEAR (Since MANY TLers seem to have misunderstood): I am not saying you should be banned for using the word, I am not trying to police your use of the word, I am only asking that you be more mindful of your use of the word and perhaps think twice before you doing so because of the pain and suffering it can cause people and because it makes our community look like a bunch of IDIOTS. That is all.
I'm such a baller in my dreams. - HiFriend
Emon_
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
3925 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 19:13:27
August 13 2010 19:00 GMT
#2
Hear, hear. Good OP with a good message. Especially the commentators and writers here on TL should refrain from using the term to set a good example. Other people can be warned - the same way as we have a pretty clean forum when it comes to proper language.
"I know that human beings and fish can coexist peacefully" -GWB ||
MangoTango
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States3670 Posts
August 13 2010 19:00 GMT
#3
Rape is not cool. I've removed the word from my gaming vernacular; it's just not a good word to use. I encourage all others to do the same.
"One fish, two fish, red fish, BLUE TANK!" - Artosis
StayFrosty
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada743 Posts
August 13 2010 19:00 GMT
#4
I'm sure your intentions are sincere and you bring up a totally valid argument.

But it won't make a difference, some words are just embedded in the social aspect of gaming.

KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44355 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 20:02:20
August 13 2010 19:01 GMT
#5
Edit: Stealing a way better example made later in the topic. Beat clearly has a negative meaning in domestic violence. Wife beating and physical child abuse are more common than rape and are extremely damaging. That does not mean we should stop using beat as a synonym for win.

Words have meanings. In gaming to rape does not mean to sexually assault the unit or player in question. If anyone was in any way unclear about that then I can see why they might be shocked until the matter was cleared up. But I cannot understand why a word, which at this point is simply a homonym, should be banned because a tiny minority of people associate it with something other than the intended meaning.

In gaming culture rape is not an offensive word. I don't use it but this is almost as bad as people who claim the word niggardly is racist because it sounds kinda like nigger.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Dance.
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States389 Posts
August 13 2010 19:01 GMT
#6
It's kind of like "faggot" and that South Park episode. We define it differently, but we understand what we mean.
It is what it is...
KinosJourney2
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Sweden1811 Posts
August 13 2010 19:02 GMT
#7
I like using the word 'Rape' when someone gets completely owned, people shouldn't be so sensitive.

It's the internet afterall.
ocho wrote: EDIT: NEVERMIND, THIS THING HAS APM TECHNOLOGY OMG
Blackhawk13
Profile Joined April 2010
United States442 Posts
August 13 2010 19:03 GMT
#8
On August 14 2010 04:01 Dance. wrote:
It's kind of like "faggot" and that South Park episode. We define it differently, but we understand what we mean.


awesome episode
neohero9
Profile Joined May 2010
United States595 Posts
August 13 2010 19:03 GMT
#9
I understand where you're coming from. I have a handful of female friends who have been raped, and the word is a very sensitive word to them.

I think what drives gamers to use it is the fact that there is no more brutal monosyllabic word in the English language. The concept itself is the nullification of freedom and suppression of resistance, and it signifies a conquest over another person unmatched by any other act.

If this is to stop, there needs to be introduced a new word to use that's easy to use, just as brutal, but doesn't have the psychological scarring associated with it that "rape" does.
I cannot stand ignorance or dismissiveness. I edit every post I make-- I've edited this sig three times in an hour.
BrownBear
Profile Joined March 2010
United States6894 Posts
August 13 2010 19:03 GMT
#10
I agree with your sentiment, and I really do think it will make a difference in a mature community like TL. Sadly, similar to "fag", "rape" will continue to be used by idiots on the internet hiding behind their veil of anonymity, basically until the end of time.

It's reasons like these that I wish Blizzard's realID feature had actually gone through. (I know, I'm one of the weird minority of people that actually liked it)
SUNSFANNED
Irrelevant
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2364 Posts
August 13 2010 19:04 GMT
#11
"it brings to mind horrid memories, horrific thoughts of powerlessness; intense agony and pain."

^
This is exactly what I want the other player in game to feel

Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 19:05:03
August 13 2010 19:04 GMT
#12
On August 14 2010 04:01 KwarK wrote:
He's slaughtering those zealots could be offensive to victims of genocide.

Words have meanings. In gaming to rape does not mean to sexually assault the unit or player in question. If anyone was in any way unclear about that then I can see why they might be shocked until the matter was cleared up. But I cannot understand why a word, which at this point is simply a homonym, should be banned because a tiny minority of people associate it with something other than the intended meaning.

In gaming culture rape is not an offensive word. I don't use it but this is almost as bad as people who claim the word niggardly is racist because it sounds kinda like nigger.


The word niggardly isn't racist? -.-

*looks it up*

oh, haha

but anyways I absolutely agree with your post there
and very eloquently put I might add
sith
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United States2474 Posts
August 13 2010 19:04 GMT
#13
Well I hate to come off as callous and a complete asshole, but my personal philosophy is that language only has whatever meaning you assign to it. When people use the term "rape" as in to "utterly own their opponent", that is just them using language to communicate their apparent superiority. They are not saying they are actually forcibly raping them, and if they use rape in that sense then it would be a physical threat and then there is reason for concern. I feel the same about all words, including all racial slurs and use of language like "gay", or "retard".

Ultimately telling people not to use a word is not going to change a thing. It's the sentiment behind it that matters. Telling people to stop saying they're "raping" their opponent because it conjures up images of actual rape is if anything hurting the situation. You want to disassociate those meanings from one another, not intertwine them.
sikyon
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada1045 Posts
August 13 2010 19:04 GMT
#14
IIRC western countries are democracies with laws regarding free speech.

If you don't like people saying the word rape that's your perogative and I respect that, but frankly everyone has a different opinion on everything (from swear words, racial slurs, and acts of violence). To attempt to impose your own viewpoint on a large community seems arrogant.
cive
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada370 Posts
August 13 2010 19:05 GMT
#15
Wow. A good point. It is a real strong word that is tossed around like a popcorn. I should be careful with that too, now.

Real good of you to post this to make us be more aware of our gamer image. If we wanted to make eSport happen here (everywhere else than Korea), stuff like this has to go. And we as individuals should contribute by watching our silly mouth. lol
Play Terran
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
August 13 2010 19:06 GMT
#16
It's connotatively completely different. I understand it can upset some people, but there are certain points where I'm going to stop worrying about things for fear of hurting certain minority of peoples. Honestly, this is just another thread preaching political correctness. While I think it has its merits, I think we've all gone overboard on trying to prevent people from having to moderate everything they say because it might be offensive.
Hidden_MotiveS
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada2562 Posts
August 13 2010 19:06 GMT
#17
I think I have to agree with what you are saying, the word 'rape' shouldn't be used when commenting on gaming. However it is, and while this thread may get a handful of people within the gaming community to think twice before doing it, the word will still be used casually by gamers. The best way to stop people from using it is to introduce another word that makes the old one go out of style until it were second nature for people to just use "owned" or something.

Even then, there are gamers, who when they get mad start being antisemitic and will try to use the most vulgar word choice possible.

It's a sad state but at least there aren't many female gamers so the percentage of people who have to cringe every time they hear the word is really low. Commentators especially, should try to use words like these as little as possible.
grandmoose
Profile Joined April 2010
United States160 Posts
August 13 2010 19:06 GMT
#18
I think you have a valid point and casters should do their best to avoid using it to give e-sports a better name. However having this battle over words will be futile for better or worse. People will continue to use it regardless.
not really a moose
Loser777
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
1931 Posts
August 13 2010 19:06 GMT
#19
I don't have a problem with the word on the internet, but sometimes people tend to use the word without recognizing the audience they're speaking in front of. Even in school I've had situations where someone pissed off a teacher by saying "gay" or "rape" nonchalantly.
6581
xbankx
Profile Joined July 2010
703 Posts
August 13 2010 19:08 GMT
#20
Its too embbed to the gaming culture to be removed so its pointless.

Its like say "man dt rushes is so gay". I tried to stop but I couldn't stop using the word gay either. Everyone knows what the actual word means and what gamer definition means. Now if you got someone who is gay or who has been raped then don't use it in front of them. Also remember not to use retarded because that is a word that can affect the mentally challenged. We can keep going on. There is no end... Find this post's idea is right but pointless.
1 2 3 4 5 31 32 33 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
IntoTheiNu 654
WardiTV184
LiquipediaDiscussion
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 2
Soma vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 11902
StarCastTV_EN365
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko274
ProTech130
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 14019
Bisu 3836
Jaedong 3580
EffOrt 1139
BeSt 892
ZerO 446
Horang2 436
Pusan 263
Larva 240
actioN 232
[ Show more ]
Zeus 222
Hyun 139
Mind 133
Barracks 87
ggaemo 71
Killer 47
Yoon 47
scan(afreeca) 44
Sharp 43
NotJumperer 38
Bale 35
ToSsGirL 34
Shinee 30
Sacsri 21
Hm[arnc] 21
Sea.KH 15
Terrorterran 13
Noble 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
zelot 5
Dota 2
Dendi116
League of Legends
JimRising 377
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1620
byalli776
Other Games
crisheroes247
Pyrionflax175
dupreeh101
Mew2King67
DeMusliM58
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 183
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream58
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 62
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV538
• lizZardDota2282
League of Legends
• Jankos1299
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 46m
Patches Events
1d 4h
The PondCast
1d 22h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.