• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:43
CEST 21:43
KST 04:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9280 users

[PvT Build order] Beating Terrans with FE build

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-09-20 18:40:00
May 06 2020 20:45 GMT
#1
There's a build that I've found to be super effective at high ranks on ladder PvT which is convenient because I cannot play normal PvT for shit.

It's basically a goon rush except you throw in a 12 nexus to fuck with their build and make the Terran hurt itself in its confusion. Works best on 2-3 player maps because if it's not scouted early the Terran won't have time to allin.

8 pylon near ramp or choke
12 nex, then mine minerals at nat
12 gate (returning probe will be next to your 8p at 150 mins)
13 gas
3 probes on gas
15 core
15 zealot
17 gate
nex completes as first zealot completes, send 3 probes to nat because that'll leave you with 9 in main which is the efficiency you're looking for
17 zealot (1st zealot completes as nex finishes so you get supply from that)
19 probe at nat (that'll get you up to mining 4 patches in nat and 9 in main lol)
20 goon range
Scout with first zealot
20 goon
Scout with second zealot
22 goon
24 pylon
25-26 probe at each nexus (send probes produced in main to nat)

Now ideally you'll be getting bunker rushed around this time and you'll discover it when a zealot blindly walks into their out of position marines/scvs. Micro it as best you can but you'll lose out there. Pull the second zealot back to come at their rush from behind as your 2 goons come out.

Depending on scv numbers you may want to fight with zealot/goon/probes but the Terrans at 2200 generally know how to bunker rush so I normally just send probes straight back to mine in the main. The main is so undersaturated you'll get good value from them there. Keep your goons alive and kill what you can but retreat and sacrifice nexus. Remember, their tank is super delayed but your goon range is getting rushed.
If your 2nd zealot is still alive then keep it alive and out on map, you'll want it for eating mines.

Two possible developments from here. If you bought a fair bit of time then you'll be getting goon range before your nex dies. You can often snipe the bunker and save the nexus with the 6 goons you'll have by this point. It depends how many scvs they have and how much commitment they put into it. You don't really care about the nexus though, you've got fuck all in the way of probes anyway. The bunker is mostly just something that stands between you and your true goal, goon rushing the Terran. So if possible just run straight past the bunker and counter rush. Terran will be taking a fast expansion off of, generally, a vulture with mines or a tank. If it's a tank you've won, 6 range goons and a zealot vs a tank is easy. If it's a vulture with mines then you'll need to eat the mines but you should do so. Let the zealot eat 2, let each goon eat no more than 1, you can still kill him. Killing most of his scvs is good enough too, the bunker will always fall to range goons eventually and you can retake your nat easily enough.
Make pylons as needed and goons constantly. Make probes as you can but this is a goon rush build.

Weirdly the counter to this is the Terran not responding at all, continuing to make scvs, and throwing down their own CC in a timely manner with mines/siege/bunker and then pushing you later. They don't need to push you early because you've already killed all your own probes by not making any. You've literally got 17 probes for ages because that's all you need to support your 2 gateways. The economic damage is already done, the Terran just needs to not die to the goon rush. But for some reason Terrans feel compelled to delay everything whenever they see a 12 nexus so if you can still get a bunch of ranged dragoons in a timely manner it's a freewin.

Example for reference
+ Show Spoiler [2500 S rank Terran on ladder] +

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/747033753


http://bwreplays.com/jw9pa


Not the best I've ever done, I cornered a goon early, had a few others get bugged out and stop in bunker range, got less value from zealot than I should have (it was afk attacking a rax for ages), but it works well enough to show that there will be a point where I have 6 goons in his base vs 2 tanks.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
kogeT
Profile Joined September 2013
Poland2042 Posts
May 06 2020 21:31 GMT
#2
So this is just a variant of a 12 nex build (some players go 2 gate no gas, some 2 gate with gas, some go 1 gate goon as you pointed).

My issue is that I hardly ever lose to this if I rush. When you kill the nex I just siege expand with turrets and P is simply behind. Obviously if its cross position or a specific map that allows it, it will give significant adventage to P but it's just a gamble like CC 1st etc.
https://www.twitch.tv/kogetbw
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-05-06 23:18:13
May 06 2020 21:43 GMT
#3
On May 07 2020 06:31 kogeT wrote:
So this is just a variant of a 12 nex build (some players go 2 gate no gas, some 2 gate with gas, some go 1 gate goon as you pointed).

My issue is that I hardly ever lose to this if I rush. When you kill the nex I just siege expand with turrets and P is simply behind. Obviously if its cross position or a specific map that allows it, it will give significant adventage to P but it's just a gamble like CC 1st etc.

I'm not sure you're getting how quickly you'll have 6 goons at your ramp with this. Wanna test it on bnet? It's nothing like a regular 12 nex. The build I'd say it was most like would be 10 15 gate. Imagine a 10 15 goon allin but the Protoss builds and sacrifices a nex (slowing them 30s) and the Terran goes for a bunker rush (slowing them 60s). This isn't an eco build, it's not like a 12 nex or a CC 1st, the only thing the nexus does is bait a bunker rush from the Terran.

12 nex is an eco build, this is a goon rush allin pretending to be an eco build to bait the Terran into delaying siege/mines by bunker rushing.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10865 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-05-06 23:39:00
May 06 2020 23:38 GMT
#4
On May 07 2020 06:43 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 07 2020 06:31 kogeT wrote:
So this is just a variant of a 12 nex build (some players go 2 gate no gas, some 2 gate with gas, some go 1 gate goon as you pointed).

My issue is that I hardly ever lose to this if I rush. When you kill the nex I just siege expand with turrets and P is simply behind. Obviously if its cross position or a specific map that allows it, it will give significant adventage to P but it's just a gamble like CC 1st etc.

I'm not sure you're getting how quickly you'll have 6 goons at your ramp with this. Wanna test it on bnet? It's nothing like a regular 12 nex. The build I'd say it was most like would be 10 15 gate. Imagine a 10 15 goon allin but the Protoss builds and sacrifices a nex (slowing them 30s) and the Terran goes for a bunker rush (slowing them 60s). This isn't an eco build, it's not like a 12 nex or a CC 1st, the only thing the nexus does is bait a bunker rush from the Terran.

12 nex is an eco build, this is a goon rush allin pretending to be an eco build to bait the Terran into delaying siege/mines by bunker rushing.


12 Nexus into 2gate goon range isn't an all in, and if you try to play it as an all in you will suffer, it is an econ build... it is not really comparable to 10-15 gate, I understand where you are coming from but um....once the 2gate goon attack fails, you are forced to transition.

EDIT : Nice guide though, I really enjoy this build and I have actually have been using it variation of it a lot on ladder.
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-05-07 00:44:38
May 06 2020 23:41 GMT
#5
On May 07 2020 08:38 GGzerG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 07 2020 06:43 KwarK wrote:
On May 07 2020 06:31 kogeT wrote:
So this is just a variant of a 12 nex build (some players go 2 gate no gas, some 2 gate with gas, some go 1 gate goon as you pointed).

My issue is that I hardly ever lose to this if I rush. When you kill the nex I just siege expand with turrets and P is simply behind. Obviously if its cross position or a specific map that allows it, it will give significant adventage to P but it's just a gamble like CC 1st etc.

I'm not sure you're getting how quickly you'll have 6 goons at your ramp with this. Wanna test it on bnet? It's nothing like a regular 12 nex. The build I'd say it was most like would be 10 15 gate. Imagine a 10 15 goon allin but the Protoss builds and sacrifices a nex (slowing them 30s) and the Terran goes for a bunker rush (slowing them 60s). This isn't an eco build, it's not like a 12 nex or a CC 1st, the only thing the nexus does is bait a bunker rush from the Terran.

12 nex is an eco build, this is a goon rush allin pretending to be an eco build to bait the Terran into delaying siege/mines by bunker rushing.


12 Nexus into 2gate goon range isn't an all in, and if you try to play it as an all in you will suffer, it is an econ build... it is not really comparable to 10-15 gate, I understand where you are coming from but um....once the 2gate goon attack fails, you are forced to transition.

EDIT : Nice guide though, I really enjoy this build and I have actually have been using it variation of it a lot on ladder.

If they bunker rush you it doesn't fail. And it's not an eco build. Eco builds have probes lol.

You’re talking about a different build to the one I described above. There are 12 nex eco builds but this isn’t one of them. It works just as well if you never even mine from the nat nexus, it exists only to be traded for a bunker rush.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
MuNi
Profile Joined July 2009
United States72 Posts
May 07 2020 00:43 GMT
#6
If you stop making workers than anything is an all in.
MANTOSS
MuNi
Profile Joined July 2009
United States72 Posts
May 07 2020 00:51 GMT
#7
I like the idea of this but only if there is a bunker rush. I can't imagine just cutting my probes and then throwing my hands up in the air if the bunker rush just never comes - that part doesn't make sense to me.

Isn't there a way to just produce probes normally and then switch to this once a bunker rush is a for sure thing? I mean, if I was to lose my Nexus I'd go all in anyways.

I never 12 nex and I especially don't 12 nex vs higher MMR terrans so this strat is outside of my wheel house.

I appreciate the guide. I will memorize this and add it to my arsenal for those occasions I find myself in this position.
MANTOSS
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-05-07 01:01:56
May 07 2020 00:55 GMT
#8
You’ll know he’s not bunker rushing you when you don’t get bunker rushed but by then the damage is mostly done, you're a bunch of workers behind. Transition back to probes then and hope for the best but you’re behind because you have very few workers. Against a decent Terran you might as well leave if they nat bunker siege expand. There are 12 nex builds that can transition normally against a variety of openers but this isn’t one of them. This is freewin vs bunker rush, loss vs safe Terran opener.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
MuNi
Profile Joined July 2009
United States72 Posts
May 07 2020 01:08 GMT
#9
On May 07 2020 09:55 KwarK wrote:
You’ll know he’s not bunker rushing you when you don’t get bunker rushed but by then the damage is mostly done, you're a bunch of workers behind. Transition back to probes then and hope for the best but you’re behind because you have very few workers. Against a decent Terran you might as well leave if they nat bunker siege expand. There are 12 nex builds that can transition normally against a variety of openers but this isn’t one of them. This is freewin vs bunker rush, loss vs safe Terran opener.



Indeed. I appreciate the guide. This is a gamblers build. Cool idea though.
MANTOSS
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
May 07 2020 01:11 GMT
#10
This is a really creative idea for a rush. Do you have any videos? I want to see how it works.
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
May 07 2020 01:19 GMT
#11
On May 07 2020 10:11 puppykiller wrote:
This is a really creative idea for a rush. Do you have any videos? I want to see how it works.

I’ll play some games on stream and link the vod in a bit I guess.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
kogeT
Profile Joined September 2013
Poland2042 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-05-07 06:56:54
May 07 2020 06:56 GMT
#12
We can do a game later today to try, but I still dont understand how is this supposed to kill terran. Upon killing the nexus, everything goes back except a bunker and 1-2 scvs. The follow up will be a tank and bunker in natural, and with a bunker in your natural there is plenty of time to add a marine and put scv's at bunker to repair (in natural). As soon as there is 1 tank and bunker with SCVs repairing, there is no way for P to break in..?
https://www.twitch.tv/kogetbw
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
May 07 2020 07:21 GMT
#13
On May 07 2020 15:56 kogeT wrote:
We can do a game later today to try, but I still dont understand how is this supposed to kill terran. Upon killing the nexus, everything goes back except a bunker and 1-2 scvs. The follow up will be a tank and bunker in natural, and with a bunker in your natural there is plenty of time to add a marine and put scv's at bunker to repair (in natural). As soon as there is 1 tank and bunker with SCVs repairing, there is no way for P to break in..?

The goons run past the bunker at the Protoss natural and counter rush.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
kogeT
Profile Joined September 2013
Poland2042 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-05-07 08:14:24
May 07 2020 08:13 GMT
#14
Yeah, and they hit another bunker with tank and 12 scvs at Terrans natural.

I mean, no hate, I need to try it out to really understand it
https://www.twitch.tv/kogetbw
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10865 Posts
May 07 2020 08:14 GMT
#15
On May 07 2020 16:21 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 07 2020 15:56 kogeT wrote:
We can do a game later today to try, but I still dont understand how is this supposed to kill terran. Upon killing the nexus, everything goes back except a bunker and 1-2 scvs. The follow up will be a tank and bunker in natural, and with a bunker in your natural there is plenty of time to add a marine and put scv's at bunker to repair (in natural). As soon as there is 1 tank and bunker with SCVs repairing, there is no way for P to break in..?

The goons run past the bunker at the Protoss natural and counter rush.


Great idea in theory, but it is dependent solely on the Terran making mistakes it seems.
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
ggsimida
Profile Joined August 2015
1156 Posts
May 07 2020 08:17 GMT
#16
on neo sylphid one of the map most vulnerable to allin, the efficacy will be lower on on ramped mains

terran response to the goon rush is suboptimal; pull scvs rather late, delayed micro lost a tank cheaply. also in a panic forgot to repair the bunker back at the (toss) nat even though there are 4 idle scvs there.

i feel with proper terran response they wont die to the counterpush ever, but you can at least force their expo to be delayed for a while. and with this particular build where probe production is halted for a long while i guess it about even for both sides.
EndingLife
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
United States1605 Posts
May 07 2020 13:03 GMT
#17
What if terran simply makes mines? Pretty sure mine timing with bunker rush to kill the nexus is before your goons can pressure terrans natural (after the nexus dies)
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
May 07 2020 13:25 GMT
#18
I don't really understand. This is a delayed goon rush all-in that succeeds only if the terran stops scouting after initially scouting a 12 nexus? I guess it could work, but only if you already know how the terran is going to play.
SuGo
Profile Joined March 2013
United States681 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-05-07 15:03:54
May 07 2020 15:00 GMT
#19
I don't see a reason to play like this. I get in theory what you're trying to share here, and it makes sense, kind of. Basically, if they bunker rush you, you'll have 6 ranged goons really quickly. But this still does not guarantee anything, except maybe the fact that you'd delay their CC/kill it, but you're still behind on workers and probably still massively behind in the game. Also, little mis-micro basically just loses the game for you outright as well. I don't think it's advisable or feasible as you get more competitive to play "Assumption based" -- meaning, just blindly assuming what your opponent will do to get 6 goons out quickly. This won't win you games in the long run...

It's just too risky, too assumption-based on many angles of what the opponent will do, and I feel like there's just no reason to do this...?

I would never do it personally, but I appreciate the creativity in some sense and using some level of probability that a Terran will bunker rush so you're pre-emptively doing all this.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
May 07 2020 15:09 GMT
#20
On May 07 2020 22:25 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
I don't really understand. This is a delayed goon rush all-in that succeeds only if the terran stops scouting after initially scouting a 12 nexus? I guess it could work, but only if you already know how the terran is going to play.

Apparently A rank Terrans are reasonably predictable, they see a nexus and they send scvs, delay machine shop, and make too many marines. Their assumption seems to be that the nexus matters and that killing it leads to victory. Whereas the Protoss knows that only the machine shop mine/siege timing matters. You’re right that if they counted probes when scouting they could probably figure out that something is weird but nobody can count at A rank. Koget here is thinking “I’d never lose to something so stupid” and he’s probably right but I’d never beat him straight up anyway so that’s not really the point for me. For the 99% of Terrans worse than Koget I’d 100% use this cheese.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O70
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason173
BRAT_OK 73
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15596
Artosis 727
Mini 245
Dewaltoss 123
Mind 75
ZZZero.O 70
Hyun 39
NaDa 24
Bale 23
Dota 2
qojqva2720
420jenkins586
League of Legends
Doublelift1491
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6422
Khaldor1281
Liquid`Hasu1022
MindelVK16
Other Games
summit1g5979
FrodaN2404
B2W.Neo811
byalli689
ToD190
Railgan45
Mew2King31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1237
BasetradeTV235
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
StarCraft 2
angryscii 39
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 34
• StrangeGG 33
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 25
• Azhi_Dahaki25
• FirePhoenix7
• FT.aCt)Sony1
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie942
• Shiphtur266
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 17m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 17m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
15h 17m
Monday Night Weeklies
20h 17m
Replay Cast
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 15h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.