• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:20
CEST 03:20
KST 10:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8420 users

Windows 7 + BW color problems? - Page 2

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
cgrinker
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3824 Posts
January 24 2009 20:13 GMT
#21
On January 18 2009 10:51 Shadowfury333 wrote:
This was a problem with Vista/XP until 1.15.3, so it is probably the same issue until Blizzard releases a patch to fix that colour issue as well. However, it seems odd that they would have too, since the impression I got from the 1.15.3 patch was that the colour processing code was changed to allow for systems without the correct 8-bit colour palette. Maybe Windows 7 has a different palette again. Strange.

PM R1CH, he'd know.


R1CH knows everything!
Flopgun
Profile Joined August 2005
Germany274 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-25 22:20:19
January 25 2009 21:44 GMT
#22
I have the same problem with vista too. :/
Jaedong fighting
Mastermind
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Canada7096 Posts
January 25 2009 22:46 GMT
#23
On January 25 2009 04:41 CharlieMurphy wrote:
What is the difference between 7 and Vista? They look the same (ugly) to me.

I use XP classic windows.

What? Vista looks 10 times better than XP.
Alt tabbing always fixes this issue when it happens to me in vista.
stafu
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Australia1196 Posts
January 26 2009 00:42 GMT
#24
I haven't had this problem since I reinstalled StarCraft. Perhaps it's worth a shot?
hunter3
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States155 Posts
January 28 2009 00:14 GMT
#25
Method A: Right click starcraft.exe or its shortcut --> Properties --> Compatibility --> Tick "Disable desktop composition" --> Apply

Method B: Uninstall Starcraft, uninstall graphics driver, reinstall graphics driver, reinstall Starcraft, invoke Option A

Method C: Graphics driver issue. Windows 7 comes with default drivers, but these are not yet fully optimized (as it IS a beta). In this order, try these drivers. Remember to uninstall old drivers first.
1) Win7 drivers for ATI or Nvidia from website. Win7 drivers for Intel from mobo's website
2) Win7 drivers from Win7 install / Windows Update (default)
3) Vista drivers for ATI / Nvidia / Intel from respective websites
4) WinXP drivers in XP compatiblity mode (almost never works)
kemoryan
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Spain1506 Posts
January 28 2009 00:22 GMT
#26
On January 25 2009 04:41 CharlieMurphy wrote:
What is the difference between 7 and Vista? They look the same (ugly) to me.

I use XP classic windows.


I also use XP classic windows. I don't really like the others at all. Classic looks so simple and professional. They should learn from Mac's interface which look fashionable yet simple and elegant.
Freedom is a stranger
hunter3
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States155 Posts
January 28 2009 01:06 GMT
#27
The ugliest interface ever made was Windows XP and its default candyland look. Windows 7 (basically Windows Vista Aero with max transparency) is a huge improvement. I daresay it looks even better than OS X Leopard or even a fully tricked out KDE.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
January 28 2009 01:36 GMT
#28
On January 28 2009 09:22 kemoryan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2009 04:41 CharlieMurphy wrote:
What is the difference between 7 and Vista? They look the same (ugly) to me.

I use XP classic windows.


I also use XP classic windows. I don't really like the others at all. Classic looks so simple and professional. They should learn from Mac's interface which look fashionable yet simple and elegant.

What? Mac looks shitty too, I don't like the graphics any of this crap uses. You know how SC b.net looks? Thats nice and gritty and basic, no confusion, no extra whistles or bullshit. Just simple, how XP should be.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
prayanavita
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Hong Kong86 Posts
May 29 2009 09:34 GMT
#29
Digging up this old thread because I found a proper solution to fix this issue. So if anyone is still interested:

http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/2981-starcraft-fix-holy-cow.html

Starting SC with the resolution panel open fixed the problem on both my Windows 7 machines.
Mah Buckit!
Profile Joined April 2009
Finland474 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-19 22:27:43
July 19 2009 22:06 GMT
#30
I did digging too, didn´t notice prayanavitas solution earlier but THX for it, I´ll definitely use it until something more convenient shows up if it something ever shows up.

I just found this in Blizzard Forums made by user Eggboi 2 days ago.( I found out it was older solution though):

+ Show Spoiler +
" searched everywhere trying to find a fix to this problem, and here's what I found.

Open a new .txt document and paste in the following:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
D:\"StarCra​ft"\"StarCr​aft.exe"
start explorer.exe


the 2nd line needs to direct towards your SC Directory (so C\"Games\Starcr​aft"\"StarC​raft.exe" for a lot of you)

When you save the file, save it as a .bat file and use that to launch Starcraft. It will terminate explorer while SC is running, and when you close SC explorer automatically restarts. This is the only fix i have found that works for my setup; Windows 7, Build 7100 w/ Nvidia 7950 GT.

Hope this works for you!"


So this is a more scientic solution for all the fullscreen mode color bug and crashing. But it´s only for original starcraft client and it can´t work with Iccup because you have to use IccupLauncher to start the game. But I guess it wouldn´t be too hard for any real geek make it work with Iccuplauncher right like modify the launchers coding to start the game with that .bat file?? Don´t know if it shows up as hack or smthn then.

E. Yeah there was a newer thread than this but I really didn´t get anything of it so I posted here where were some actual solutions. If there is some real solutions already I´d be pleased to know because windowmode sucks. Also the crashing and color problems seem to have different roots. I guess I can handle the crashing but don´t know about the color thing.

Actually I´m starting to feel dumb here, am I the only 7 user still with this problem? I have installed right drivers and all...
Starcraft? Epic Grimness.
LG)Sabbath
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Argentina3024 Posts
July 20 2009 00:06 GMT
#31
i dunno if this was mentioned but i found somewhere an explanation that the windows 7 taskbar is always on top and this messes up the colors

if you start the iccup launcher then close all instances of explorer.exe such that there is no taskbar, then run the game, the color problem should be fixed
https://www.twitch.tv/argsabbath/
DeCoup
Profile Joined September 2006
Australia1933 Posts
July 20 2009 00:11 GMT
#32
On May 29 2009 18:34 prayanavita wrote:
Digging up this old thread because I found a proper solution to fix this issue. So if anyone is still interested:

http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/2981-starcraft-fix-holy-cow.html

Starting SC with the resolution panel open fixed the problem on both my Windows 7 machines.


This works on my mates PC with windows 7.
"Poor guy. I really did not deserve that win. So this is what it's like to play Protoss..." - IdrA
Tomed
Profile Joined August 2005
United States176 Posts
July 20 2009 02:18 GMT
#33
I've since went back to Vista since Win7 was causing major problems while gaming but I used this solution to run BW without the color bug:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
C:\"Program Files\StarCraft"\"StarCraft.exe"
start explorer.exe
Mah Buckit!
Profile Joined April 2009
Finland474 Posts
July 20 2009 07:51 GMT
#34
On July 20 2009 11:18 Tomed wrote:
I've since went back to Vista since Win7 was causing major problems while gaming but I used this solution to run BW without the color bug:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
C:\"Program Files\StarCraft"\"StarCraft.exe"
start explorer.exe


Yeah but you can´t use that with Iccup launcher. Only when playing in bnet.
Well I guess there is only these tricks I can use to surpass this problem with IccupLauncher but nothing permanent like that :I

Actually my problem has somehow changed after changing to the RC version of windows 7. By playing around with the properties of starcraft exe I got Iccuplauncher to start it in fullscreen in the right colors but then I can´t connect to Iccup. oh shit, gotta try some other trick then.
Starcraft? Epic Grimness.
Shad0w59
Profile Joined December 2008
United Kingdom43 Posts
July 20 2009 09:27 GMT
#35
This problem goes away if you switch to 640x480 with 8bit colours (256 colours) before running iccup launcher and starcraft.

You'll need to use a resolution switcher (I used ToggleRes) to do this as Vista/Windows 7 don't have 256 colours listed in the display options.
Mah Buckit!
Profile Joined April 2009
Finland474 Posts
July 20 2009 10:20 GMT
#36
Umm that´s just what I did and yes you can. Right click on starcraft->properties->compability-> and under settings tick run in 256 colours and 640x480. Then it looks just fine but I can´t connect to Iccup.
Starcraft? Epic Grimness.
Shad0w59
Profile Joined December 2008
United Kingdom43 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-20 10:33:56
July 20 2009 10:33 GMT
#37
You need to change the desktop resolution, not the compatibility settings.
Mah Buckit!
Profile Joined April 2009
Finland474 Posts
July 20 2009 10:54 GMT
#38
Why ?
I got the color thing working, but I got the connection problem.
Starcraft? Epic Grimness.
DeCoup
Profile Joined September 2006
Australia1933 Posts
July 20 2009 13:42 GMT
#39
On July 20 2009 19:54 Mah Buckit! wrote:
Why ?
I got the color thing working, but I got the connection problem.

If you change the setting back and get crap color can you connect to iccup? If not I think that is an unrelated problem.
"Poor guy. I really did not deserve that win. So this is what it's like to play Protoss..." - IdrA
StorrZerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States13922 Posts
July 20 2009 13:50 GMT
#40
thanks for reopening this been having a few problems myself this should fix them woot
Hwaseung Oz fan for life. Swing out, always swing out.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 28
Nina 10
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12230
Rain 2158
Artosis 541
White-Ra 191
Dewaltoss 2
Dota 2
monkeys_forever621
NeuroSwarm168
League of Legends
Doublelift4327
Counter-Strike
taco 204
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1687
ArmadaUGS441
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1181
WinterStarcraft425
Other Games
summit1g8819
Day[9].tv694
shahzam643
JimRising 588
Maynarde155
ViBE149
C9.Mang0144
PiGStarcraft61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick894
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream128
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 121
• davetesta29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra988
• Day9tv694
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
8h 40m
OSC
11h 40m
Stellar Fest
11h 40m
OSC
22h 40m
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.