The Map Man looks for your assistance…
I’ve been called the Map Man by one of the devs and the community knows STPL and my other tournaments as tournaments that love to really put focus on lesser used maps to show the world how good games can be on a map that many people may not have heard of. It’s been a long time coming honestly, but I’ve finally decided to open this up to community made maps rather than just the maps used in the pro scene. With the addition of Core Breach into the STPL Map 3 pool this was 100% the right way to go moving forward.
One issue I’m aware of for map makers is finding players to actually play on their maps and this is a fantastic opportunity to have some coverage on a long running tournament format where your map is guaranteed to get a lot of play! In any given Season of STPL there are usually 8 maps chosen overall and I’m planning to open up 2-4 slots depending on how things go for maps picked from this contest. Depending on interest we could take the decision down to a final public vote although I reserve the right to pick the maps I think will fit also.
What are we looking for?
STPL is known for having a mix of standard, semi standard and non standard maps so overall we’re looking for a mix. There will be two categories in the tournament Standard and Experimental.
Standard includes all maps that would be considered “Standard or Semi-Standard”. Good examples of pro maps that fit this criteria are maps such as La Mancha, Grand Line SE, Horizon Lunar Colony, Escalade, Neo Sylphid, Neo Aztec, Blue Storm or Match point.
Experimental includes all maps that do not fit the above criteria and try to think outside the box. This can either be with an interesting layout never before seen or my personal preference is to use spells and neutral buildings to achieve something different. Good examples of pro maps that fit this criteria are Persona, Holy World SE, Neo Arkanoid, Triathlon, Plasma and Core Breach (Inner Coven).
When are the maps due?
Mappers will have until Monday the 25th of May 2020 at 21:00CEST.
- This contest is open to all applicants, Non-Korean and Korean.
- This contest is open to maps that work in a Standard 1v1 Top vs Bottom game.
- This contest is open to all map tilesets.
- This contest is open to your older maps, but newer maps are highly encouraged.
- This contest is not open to maps that have been used in other tournaments.
- You may submit maps that are based on other maps, but they may not be duplicates (see Sylphid and Athena as good examples).
- You may submit as many maps as you like, but please keep the submissions high quality!
- You may only submit your own work
- First versions should be fully playable with functional components of the map (functional terrain* and resources) in place, no abusable unfinished terrain (like dropholes), and no mining issues for the most significant bases (mains and nats).
*Functional terrain includes unwalkable and unbuildable areas, ramps, bridges, choke points, vision blocking or cover providing terrain and generally anything that requires specific tile flags etc.
How will this work?
- Appointed judges from the community alongside myself will evaluate the entries and decide on the top maps. I aim to select around 10 maps, 5 of each category although this will vary depending on number and quality of submissions.
- Mappers will then be given 4 weeks to fix any issues found by the judges and decorate the maps.
- The maps will then be played in a Map Test tournament and will be uploaded and released for people to test publically.
- We will then host a public vote to decide on 4 maps, 2 from each category to determine the top 4 maps.
I estimate the contest will conclude within 6-8 weeks after the submissions deadline passes.
How to enter?
Please PM your map(s) files to myself on discord (Qikz#0816) with the following format before Monday the 25th of May 2020 at 21:00CEST.
Map Category: (Standard or Experimental)
Map File (uploaded to discord)
Entries not in this format may not be taken into account when judging and please ask any questions within the thread.
Please feel free to also post your map names and images in the thread!