• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:41
CEST 14:41
KST 21:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8438 users

Hwasin Apologizes for Match Fixing - Page 12

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All
Probemicro
Profile Joined February 2014
3708 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-11 03:29:15
February 11 2015 03:21 GMT
#221
On February 11 2015 04:43 prplhz wrote:
i don't know what to think, but some people certainly feel like they can pass the harshest judgment on them without a second thought.


i think most people just think that the matchfixing scandal is the cause of the initial downfall of BW
(when a certain corporate entity pushing for a new game is more to blame...), and its easier to make scapegoats out of players. labelling and condemning mentally teens who dont know about consequences as criminals for life.

they act as if BW is sacred and holy (which i also want to believe), but no established sports in history has been free of any form of shady acts/corruptions in it, human greed is bound to get in the way eventually

outscar
Profile Joined September 2014
2832 Posts
February 11 2015 03:33 GMT
#222
Some of you little titties just about in time need to shut the fuck up their dotage mouth because I'm not even reading your inadequate yellings and infantile snivels about this great progamer. I know, those who bet got their punishment so hard by permanently getting banned their sorry butts. And only one guy from this team apologized for this and also emphasized that he hates Savior because he forced him (and probable everyone) for this deal. He was only one who asked for forgiveness and letting him to prove his honesty and fair play. So why the heck you are standing against him? Let him one last chance because he IS THE ONE who deserves it.

User was warned for this post
sunbeams are never made like me...
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19391 Posts
February 11 2015 03:52 GMT
#223
On February 11 2015 10:09 lestye wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 11 2015 07:49 BisuDagger wrote:
He apologized and I believe it to be sincere. I forgive him.

Would you forgive such a person that tried to (hypothetically) enter the scene again? Like remove his ban or just forgive him in the sense there's no hard feeling, but still being strict on such a ban.

It's a very topical thing as of late since we're seeing kids in Dota/CS doing the same dumb shit.

I would accept him back. It has been several years and he's the only one who actually put an effort into being apologetic after all this time.The time has definitely been served and god knows this is a hard thing for a kid to go through. Accepting him back would be a good gesture from everyone.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
foreverBW
Profile Joined January 2015
Belgium7 Posts
February 11 2015 03:56 GMT
#224
On February 11 2015 12:33 outscar wrote:
Some of you little titties just about in time need to shut the fuck up their dotage mouth because I'm not even reading your inadequate yellings and infantile snivels about this great progamer. I know, those who bet got their punishment so hard by permanently getting banned their sorry butts. And only one guy from this team apologized for this and also emphasized that he hates Savior because he forced him (and probable everyone) for this deal. He was only one who asked for forgiveness and letting him to prove his honesty and fair play. So why the heck you are standing against him? Let him one last chance because he IS THE ONE who deserves it.


exactly this.

User was warned for this post
BLinD-RawR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
ALLEYCAT BLUES51622 Posts
February 11 2015 04:24 GMT
#225
On February 11 2015 12:33 outscar wrote:
Some of you little titties just about in time need to shut the fuck up their dotage mouth because I'm not even reading your inadequate yellings and infantile snivels about this great progamer. I know, those who bet got their punishment so hard by permanently getting banned their sorry butts. And only one guy from this team apologized for this and also emphasized that he hates Savior because he forced him (and probable everyone) for this deal. He was only one who asked for forgiveness and letting him to prove his honesty and fair play. So why the heck you are standing against him? Let him one last chance because he IS THE ONE who deserves it.


Eh, like I said I don't really care. A lot of the punishment he got post the scandal was pretty harsh and I felt it was unfair, especially during his time in the military, that said regardless of how and why he got involved in match fixing and how remorseful he is he probably won't be allowed to participate in tournaments.

I can't stop him from streaming BW, nor do I want to either, and I'm certainly not judging those who are watching his stream either.
Brood War EICWoo Jung Ho, never forget.| Twitter: @BLinDRawR
neobowman
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3324 Posts
February 11 2015 06:10 GMT
#226
I think it's the first time I've actually read his apology. Wow.

Progamers are people too. People make mistakes. Not to mention that a lot of the progamers in the BW days were teenagers. Most people their age aren't expected to make life-changing decisions like that. Considering his situation, I think the mistakes he made are understandable. Best wishes to him and his stream.
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
February 11 2015 06:17 GMT
#227
On February 11 2015 12:33 outscar wrote: And only one guy from this team apologized for this and also emphasized that he hates Savior because he forced him (and probable everyone) for this deal.


:O how could savior force them?
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
outscar
Profile Joined September 2014
2832 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-11 06:46:44
February 11 2015 06:41 GMT
#228
On February 11 2015 15:17 JieXian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 11 2015 12:33 outscar wrote: And only one guy from this team apologized for this and also emphasized that he hates Savior because he forced him (and probable everyone) for this deal.


:O how could savior force them?


Q: Do you hate Ma Jae Hoon (Savior) who originally gave you the suggestion?

A: Initially I really did hate him, but more so I was fearful of him. But afterwards I felt really angry with myself. After realizing what a terrible thing I've done, I thought that I could only blame myself and not anyone else.


It is clear that Savior is the founder of this match fixing thing and the rest are the followers of this masquerade. He is the reason of downfall of pro scene. Korean think that he is the main destroyer of KeSPA BW, not SC2 like mostly think.
sunbeams are never made like me...
TOAA
Profile Joined October 2014
United States38 Posts
February 11 2015 07:09 GMT
#229
I just miss sAviOr, I want him back
I have God on my side
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51698 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-11 07:22:57
February 11 2015 07:22 GMT
#230
I don't know why people never mention Justin, who pretty much brought down the entire Sparkyz team with him.
Rumor was he came from a upper-class family and was well off. What a jerk.
Commentator
Ragnarork
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
France9034 Posts
February 11 2015 10:31 GMT
#231
On February 11 2015 04:18 JieXian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 11 2015 03:56 Waxangel wrote:
Korean community is laughing about how he forgot to remove the bookmarks to various betting related sites from his IE bar -__-

http://pgr21.com/pb/pb.php?id=humor&no=232748


oh well........

Show nested quote +
On February 11 2015 03:37 Ragnarork wrote:
On February 10 2015 22:55 BLinD-RawR wrote:
I don't care what he does with his stream or who watches it for that matter, I doubt he'd be featured on TL and he probably won't be allowed to participate in any tournament.


I'm wondering for how much time do people consider inacceptable that such players return to the game. I mean, the guy was talented. He did a mistake. Now this can be the result of what I'd call a "built-in" greed, but this can also just be the result of a one time mistake that he may severly regret. Banning for life sounds ok in the first case, but not in the second :/


spoke too soon


Rofl, indeed. IIRC betting is completely forbidden in Korea, right?
That's not really intelligent from his part
LiquipediaWanderer
KasPra
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Estonia983 Posts
February 11 2015 11:20 GMT
#232
My opinion is probably unpopular and obviously rather irrelevant, but I hope that there are at least some people who feel the same way. I feel like none of the ex-pros involved in the scandal should ever be forgiven and allowed back into the BW scene. There are some mistakes in life that you can only make once and I think betraying the entire community for some monetary gain should be one of them.

I know nostalgia plays a large part in people's judgement; I used to adore Hwasin's play as well and he was my favourite terran for a good while, but after utter scumbaggery like the betting scandal anything less than a lifetime ban wouldn't be appropriate. There's a lot of other things he could do, lots of other games to play and so on, just not BW because apologies shouldn't save him after spitting on the game and his fans.
Probemicro
Profile Joined February 2014
3708 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-11 11:38:42
February 11 2015 11:22 GMT
#233
On February 11 2015 19:31 Ragnarork wrote:

Rofl, indeed. IIRC betting is completely forbidden in Korea, right?
That's not really intelligent from his part


Not all betting is illegal in Korea. Government sanctioned betting like lotteries and horse racing betting is allowed, but not for online betting which the govt has no jurisdiction over

On February 11 2015 20:20 KasPra wrote:
My opinion is probably unpopular and obviously rather irrelevant, but I hope that there are at least some people who feel the same way. I feel like none of the ex-pros involved in the scandal should ever be forgiven and allowed back into the BW scene. There are some mistakes in life that you can only make once and I think betraying the entire community for some monetary gain should be one of them.

I know nostalgia plays a large part in people's judgement; I used to adore Hwasin's play as well and he was my favourite terran for a good while, but after utter scumbaggery like the betting scandal anything less than a lifetime ban wouldn't be appropriate. There's a lot of other things he could do, lots of other games to play and so on, just not BW because apologies shouldn't save him after spitting on the game and his fans.


If the offenders in question during that time are say, in their 30s, I would have agreed with you long ago.
But young people should deserve second chances, especially one who publicly express their apologies.
Caihead
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada8550 Posts
February 11 2015 14:20 GMT
#234
Shame on you Hwasin for using IE and reinforcing the idea that Korean BW players weren't actually tech savvy at all.

Seriously though I don't want to see people's lives destroyed from one mistake, some of the people involved were just kids and should be able to work their way through society again.
"If you're not living in the US or are a US Citizen, please do not tell us how to vote or how you want our country to be governed." - Serpest, American Hero
shizzz
Profile Joined May 2012
Australia127 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-11 15:26:22
February 11 2015 15:18 GMT
#235
On February 11 2015 16:22 GTR wrote:
I don't know why people never mention Justin, who pretty much brought down the entire Sparkyz team with him.
Rumor was he came from a upper-class family and was well off. What a jerk.


I think the majority of people don't bring up Justin, because the majority of people who comment on the match fixing scandal simply don't have any idea ^^.

I can forgive Hwasin especially, I can truly believe he is sorry. Whether that translates to being able to play again.. well, I'm not as sure there. But Savior and Justin should stay banned from this game for life, regardless.
Ilikestarcraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Korea (South)17743 Posts
February 11 2015 15:40 GMT
#236
On February 11 2015 16:22 GTR wrote:
I don't know why people never mention Justin, who pretty much brought down the entire Sparkyz team with him.
Rumor was he came from a upper-class family and was well off. What a jerk.

Probably cause no one knew who he was before the scandal.
ils
"Nana is a goddess. Or at very least, Nana is my goddess." - KazeHydra
OpticalShot
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada6330 Posts
February 11 2015 15:58 GMT
#237
First of all, thanks Caihead for keeping up with the BW news and translating this for the community.

Aside from the match-fixing issue, I like to read these because I see all the old BW-time TLers are still alive and keeping in touch <3

I'd like to believe Hwasin is, at least on the abilities to feel remorse and to follow up with apologies, a few tiers of humanity above the scumbags Savior and Justin (+ Luxury but that involves a slightly different topic). Hwasin seems to have some grasp of the magnitude of what his actions may have caused.

If he wishes to return to the BW scene, he should and will be placed under a close watch. He'll have to publicly apologize again and again, and still (and rightfully so) people will be doubtful of his intentions. There will be cruel jokes and personal attacks. However, based on my impression from the current SSL10 and remembering my experiences live at SSL8 finals, the audiences have either 1) moved on and continue to support the BW scene or 2) young & new and are largely unaware of the scandal. There is room for a truly remorseful and reformed ex-pro to return. With the right attitude and perseverance, he can serve as a public reminder of the terrible things that happened and why we must prevent it from happening again.
[TLMS] REBOOT
Hesmyrr
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada5776 Posts
February 11 2015 16:27 GMT
#238
On February 11 2015 23:20 Caihead wrote:
Shame on you Hwasin for using IE and reinforcing the idea that Korean BW players weren't actually tech savvy at all.

Seriously though I don't want to see people's lives destroyed from one mistake, some of the people involved were just kids and should be able to work their way through society again.

Isn't the problem Hwasin was "walking his way toward the society" already? I think he has a job which has to be far more stable income than being BJ, and it was major reason besides apology why he had such positive PR - the fact that he chose to explore alternative method of life rather than dwelling on Afreeca with utter lack of shame. I'd believe Hwasin is actually risking his life being "destroyed" by getting himself involved in BW rather than vice versa.

It's shocking why he would choose to reopen old wounds like this, and just for public appearances I'd rather keep him at minimum from broadcasted tournaments like SSL; lack of consistency in the enforcement of BW participation ban, not alone mentioning controversy that would embroil the league, is not worth it.
"If watching the MSL finals makes you a progamer, then anyone in Korea can do it." - Ha Tae Ki
neobowman
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3324 Posts
February 11 2015 16:35 GMT
#239
On February 11 2015 23:20 Caihead wrote:
Shame on you Hwasin for using IE and reinforcing the idea that Korean BW players weren't actually tech savvy at all.

Seriously though I don't want to see people's lives destroyed from one mistake, some of the people involved were just kids and should be able to work their way through society again.

Actually, internet explorer is used by most people in South Korea. I have no idea why but it's popular.
Anvil666
Profile Joined October 2007
Germany122 Posts
February 11 2015 16:59 GMT
#240
Holy shit, it's not like he killed a person.
The kid made a bad mistake. But then, he spent his entire youth playing a computer game. No wonder his judgement was a little off. Beside that, I wouldn't blame anyone for taking an assumed easy way out of a very difficult situation he – and his family! – were in.
The scandal might have destroyed the careers of uninvolved players and crushed the dreams of the fans (poor little puppies!). That a teenager is expelled from society for years and has to live through such intense psychological suffering after fixing merely TWO GAMES seems merciless and cruel to me.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Zoun vs herOLIVE!
SHIN vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1315
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 245
Rex 93
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 56705
Calm 3770
Shuttle 3367
Bisu 1450
FanTaSy 1335
firebathero 392
Stork 287
Mini 264
Hyuk 248
Soma 244
[ Show more ]
Zeus 243
Rush 226
EffOrt 213
actioN 194
Soulkey 169
Last 154
Light 142
ZerO 130
Snow 103
Dewaltoss 66
Mong 63
Pusan 60
PianO 55
Killer 52
Barracks 46
JYJ 44
hero 43
Shinee 36
Free 35
NotJumperer 34
ToSsGirL 31
Bale 27
Aegong 26
Shine 26
Sharp 23
sorry 20
yabsab 19
Sacsri 16
HiyA 16
Noble 14
Hyun 12
Icarus 3
Dota 2
Gorgc6835
Dendi654
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1346
kRYSTAL_241
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King102
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko387
Other Games
gofns35366
singsing2029
B2W.Neo759
crisheroes265
hiko217
DeMusliM208
Livibee130
byalli110
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV208
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream21
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 7
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
19m
OSC
9h 34m
Replay Cast
10h 19m
OSC
1d 10h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 21h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.