• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:35
CEST 07:35
KST 14:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War595.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7883 users

Things you like/dislike about your Country

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
Orome
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Switzerland11984 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-13 12:06:19
April 07 2009 23:03 GMT
#1
There's a good chance this will have turned into a flamewar by page 2, but the topic came up today with friends and I'm curious to hear you guys' answers.

I'd like to hear about things that for you set your country apart to make your life more enjoyable. You may or may not like living in your country, but each country has its unique characteristics and I'm curious to know what they are for you.

My list contains a lot of random and unimportant details, but maybe those little things do a better job of portraying what it is I like about my country than if I wrote a longwinded essay. It does seem very incomplete though, I'll probably add more as I think of them.

About Switzerland I like

- that our 7 'presidents' can go to work by train and without security

- that there's no need to own a car because the public transportation system is really good

- that Switzerland's wealth seems natural and unpretentious (compared to a place like Dubai, hard to explain what I mean here)

- that the headline of this evening's paper was about some incidents of the trolleys in the trains not being able to serve coffee

- that there's no area of Zurich (our biggest city) I wouldn't dare visit at night

- that noone has too little to eat and there are like zero beggars

- that we have 4 official languages

I dislike

- that people can get worked up over stuff like coffee in trains and cancelled boats

- that we tend to be conformist and creativity and individuality are only viewed as good within tight boundaries

- that we like mediocrity so much

- that you get completely ripped off in every club and bar in Zurich
On a purely personal note, I'd like to show Yellow the beauty of infinitely repeating Starcraft 2 bunkers. -Boxer
Orome
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Switzerland11984 Posts
April 07 2009 23:05 GMT
#2
and I'd be really glad if everyone from the US could refrain from saying stuff like

I like
- that we freed the Iraqi people
- that we're keeping the world peace

This thread really isn't about politics. :p
On a purely personal note, I'd like to show Yellow the beauty of infinitely repeating Starcraft 2 bunkers. -Boxer
Day[9]
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
United States7366 Posts
April 07 2009 23:05 GMT
#3
dude switzerland is awesome

one of my favorite places i've visited. would do again! A+
Whenever I encounter some little hitch, or some of my orbs get out of orbit, nothing pleases me so much as to make the crooked straight and crush down uneven places. www.day9.tv
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-07 23:07:29
April 07 2009 23:06 GMT
#4
On April 08 2009 08:05 Orome wrote:
and I'd be really glad if everyone from the US could refrain from saying stuff like

I like
- that we freed the Iraqi people
- that we're keeping the world peace

This thread really isn't about politics. :p

Good job keeping it from turning into a flame war by page 2. Good idea to throw a jab like that right off the bat.


Edit: And this isn't me flaming you... I made the smiley face, so it is all ok.
Nytefish
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United Kingdom4282 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-07 23:14:33
April 07 2009 23:08 GMT
#5
The weather really isn't that bad.

The things I dislike are more characteristics of people and modern society rather than cultural things.
No I'm never serious.
Luddite
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States2315 Posts
April 07 2009 23:08 GMT
#6
I remember seeing a really long thread like this here before. I'm sure you can find it if you search.
Can't believe I'm still here playing this same game
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-07 23:10:49
April 07 2009 23:10 GMT
#7
Isn't this thread basically a remake of these?
+ Show Spoiler +

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=73669
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=23389
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=23399
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=73700

There are wayyyyy too make things I like and dislike about Canada to name
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
chobopeon
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States7342 Posts
April 07 2009 23:10 GMT
#8
On April 08 2009 08:05 Orome wrote:
and I'd be really glad if everyone from the US could refrain from saying stuff like

I like
- that we freed the Iraqi people
- that we're keeping the world peace

This thread really isn't about politics. :p


while i agree that those are silly thing, your comment about swiss wealth would say otherwise. if you think that has nothing to do with politics, you're silly.
:O
Spyfire242
Profile Joined March 2009
United States715 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-04-07 23:24:19
April 07 2009 23:10 GMT
#9
America

Likes
-Disgusting food that tastes delicious
-Freedoms and rights
-Music
-We can kick any other countries ass like the arrogant bastards we are
Edit: We have IdrA!


Dislikes
-Idiots that make us all look bad
-Japanese interment (Freedoms and rights are useless when they can take them away)


Maybe more to come.
Entusman #55 Spyfire242!
Ingenol
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States1328 Posts
April 07 2009 23:11 GMT
#10
I visited Switzerland and loved it as well. Everything is insanely expensive, though.
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
April 07 2009 23:12 GMT
#11
I don't think turning this into a flamefest is avoidable TBH.
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
chobopeon
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States7342 Posts
April 07 2009 23:13 GMT
#12
On April 08 2009 08:12 Grobyc wrote:
I don't think turning this into a flamefest is avoidable TBH.


agreed! and it is a remake of many old threads, as previously pointed out. but good luck.
:O
Spyfire242
Profile Joined March 2009
United States715 Posts
April 07 2009 23:13 GMT
#13
On April 08 2009 08:12 Grobyc wrote:
I don't think turning this into a flamefest is avoidable TBH.


Quiet Canadian scum.... heheheh...
Entusman #55 Spyfire242!
prOxi.swAMi
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Australia3091 Posts
April 07 2009 23:21 GMT
#14
I fucking love Switzerland Orome. You are so fucking lucky. I wish they weren't so strict against immigration but then again, it wouldn't be Switzerland if they weren't. And they have the BEST skiing ever, on the Swiss/French border (Torgon is omg)

Australia sucks in comparison.
Oh no
Orome
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Switzerland11984 Posts
April 07 2009 23:22 GMT
#15
I didn't realize we've already had threads like these, but I still think this could be a really worthwile thread if everyone manages to hold back on their spam/flame urges.

you're right chobopeon, the wealth comment's politic, but its impacts on my life (which is what this thread's supposed to be about) aren't.

On April 08 2009 08:05 Day[9] wrote:
dude switzerland is awesome

one of my favorite places i've visited. would do again! A+

On April 08 2009 08:11 Ingenol wrote:
I visited Switzerland and loved it as well. Everything is insanely expensive, though.


shoot me a pm if you ever decide to visit again
On a purely personal note, I'd like to show Yellow the beauty of infinitely repeating Starcraft 2 bunkers. -Boxer
Spyfire242
Profile Joined March 2009
United States715 Posts
April 07 2009 23:23 GMT
#16
On April 08 2009 08:21 prOxi.swAMi wrote:
I fucking love Switzerland Orome. You are so fucking lucky. I wish they weren't so strict against immigration but then again, it wouldn't be Switzerland if they weren't. And they have the BEST skiing ever, on the Swiss/French border (Torgon is omg)

Australia sucks in comparison.


Cheer up mate, go kangaroo hunting or something, or play starcraft.
Entusman #55 Spyfire242!
Orome
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Switzerland11984 Posts
April 07 2009 23:25 GMT
#17
lol everyone I know who's been to Australia has either not come back in the first place or desperately wants to go back to go life there. :p
On a purely personal note, I'd like to show Yellow the beauty of infinitely repeating Starcraft 2 bunkers. -Boxer
MuR)Ernu
Profile Joined September 2008
Finland768 Posts
April 07 2009 23:29 GMT
#18
Likes:
-Beautiful nature
-The fact we have 4 different seasons(winter, summer, spring and autumn). Cold winters and warm summers (warm to us >_<)
-The extreme stuff we do: Sauna (over 100c or its pussy) and "avantouinti" which is basically that we swim in a hole in a frozen lake/sea. Yes we actually do that. Its combined with a sauna too. We go from sauna to swim and back and forth Good for your health.
-The fact that we are so badass we didnt lose to russia.
-Free health care.
-High standards of living.
-Free school, and free food and books in school. (after high school you have to buy hte books though if you want education)
-Finnish art (music, paintings, movies, literature etc).
-The finnish language.
-Beautiful cities like helsinki and many more.

Dislikes
-Alcoholism. Its everywhere.
-People look all moody all the time. People usually don't go around with a smileyface here.
-many people are depressed around here.
-Boring food. I like it though but it is very plain usually.
-Many people are stupid fat beer drinking racists etc. Much like rednecks would be for americans.

disciple
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
9071 Posts
April 07 2009 23:31 GMT
#19
Bulgaria

Likes
-Nature
-Climate
-Culture and history
-Food
-Hitchhiking

Dislikes
-Corruption on all levels
-The way most of the ppl think
-Mainstream Music
-Infrastructure

and since I live in Germany for some time now I will dare share some of my impressions

Likes
-Multi-cultural environment
-Nature
-A lot of fairly easy ways to earn enough cash for your life as a student
-Ppl respect the rules
-Beer
-Most of the germans are very friendly, even thou you know they dont really mean it
-The food is actually not so expensive

Dislikes
-I cannot afford to spend cash on all my hobbies. I had to give up the snowboarding and the tennis. The sport-club membership cards are very expensive.
-Even when its reasonable and useful to make an exception of some rule, german ppl will never do it, I think partly because they are afraid to break even simple rules.
-The food is really bad

And smth that is quite odd, I cant tell really whether I like it or not
-The holidays. I've seen some crazyass shit in my life, but the germans have some really weird holidays and ways to celebrate them
Administrator"I'm a big deal." - ixmike88
Hypnosis
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States2061 Posts
April 07 2009 23:42 GMT
#20
America

-fast food nation.. Its covered with fast food places AND I ONLY LIKE WENDYS!
-How expensive college is.
-How ridiculous we have gone into consumerism.
-The government gets jack shit done.
-American news sucks a dick
-The job market nowadays.
Science without religion is lame, Religion without science is blind
1 2 3 4 5 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 25m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4282
Leta 1530
Bale 52
Shine 41
ZergMaN 17
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm262
League of Legends
JimRising 652
Other Games
summit1g7857
WinterStarcraft636
Sick155
Mew2King35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick515
BasetradeTV205
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta65
• Letter1416
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2150
League of Legends
• Lourlo1036
• Rush751
Other Games
• Shiphtur440
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4h 25m
Patches Events
9h 25m
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 25m
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 25m
OSC
17h 25m
OSC
1d 6h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.