• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:43
CEST 22:43
KST 05:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7458 users

Watching MSL outside of Korea

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Nager
Profile Joined January 2008
Germany32 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-22 08:12:57
January 22 2009 08:10 GMT
#1
The situation atm is that there is no general way of watching the MSL Ro32 outside of Korea apart from Daum Player that restricts bandwith to non-korean ips.

Before accepting this silently and waiting for VODs to pop up, I want to see if there is anything that can be done.

First option - that doesn't really work too well - is to use a korean proxy to get non-restricted DAUM-speed. To access proxy options in DAUM, press F5 for the options dialog, go to the prelast tab, select the proxy type and below enter the ip adress in the first field and the port number in the second. I've tried various proxys but failed to get any decent speed out of them. Perhaps others have more luck and can talk about their experience.

Second thing I want to do is at least tell DAUM why it is a good thing for them to allow foreigners to participate in watching.

- Foreigners are interested in Progaming merchandise
- Commercials by international brands appeal to foreigners
- Korean culture, way of life and language are promoted
- interest and knowledge about Progaming are increased and spread.
- GOM is already targeting international fans - DAUM should follow the trend.
- there are lots of koreans all over the world who would like to watch DAUM just like at home

Can someone please provide some contact details for DAUM?

Third idea is to write some of the (international) companies that advertise on DAUM and tell them that I noticed their spot during Progaming matches and liked it but could not watch the program anymore for being restricted as a foreigner - and ask them to ask DAUM to do something about it because there is an ever increasing international interest in Korean progaming.

This approach worked well for a saving-a-television-show-campaign I once participated in and could have some impact if enough people take part.

I know, activism is "out" - but if this makes enough sense and at least some people are eager to "do something", a list of companies that advertise on DAUM should be created, contact details should be researched - as well as perhaps a couple of "sample mails" created for people to take as a basis for their own mails.

Opinions / additional ideas?
there is no cow level
himurakenshin
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Canada1845 Posts
January 22 2009 08:13 GMT
#2
yay Korean Culture and way of life are promoted!!
T.O.P. *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Hong Kong4685 Posts
January 22 2009 08:15 GMT
#3
I'll pay for a stream!!
Oracle comes in, Scvs go down, never a miscommunication.
jodogohoo
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada2533 Posts
January 22 2009 08:24 GMT
#4
The only way is to go to Korea, your asking for a way to kill a man with a gun, without a gun.
Show your dedication to Starcraft, go to Korea. Become the legend.
Aesop
Profile Joined October 2007
Hungary11305 Posts
January 22 2009 08:28 GMT
#5
I like this initiative, no matter what comes out of it.
ModeratorNon veritas sed auctoritas facit legem. | Liquipedia: Don't ask me, I'm retired.
lilsusie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
3861 Posts
January 22 2009 09:02 GMT
#6
Just to let you know, even non-Koreans living in Korea with alien registration cards have a hard time with Daum. =/
Follow me on Twitter for pictures of cute gamers and food! https://twitter.com/lilsusie
orangeshines
Profile Joined September 2008
United Kingdom204 Posts
January 22 2009 09:07 GMT
#7
I'd pay for a good stream too.
Anything up to 15 euro / month.
Deletrious
Profile Joined December 2007
United States458 Posts
January 22 2009 09:16 GMT
#8
On January 22 2009 18:02 lilsusie wrote:
Just to let you know, even non-Koreans living in Korea with alien registration cards have a hard time with Daum. =/


Daum discriminates against non-koreans!? No seriously the player sucks. I miss GOM playing the MSL.

I think the ideas suggested in this forum are great, I've also tried a few korean proxies, did not really seem to help.

I love korean commercials, I would totally buy their products if I could decipher what they were.
Bow before the Dongjwa.
Deletrious
Profile Joined December 2007
United States458 Posts
January 22 2009 09:17 GMT
#9
Additional idea to extend Daum Sports to the MSL and the survivor leagues
Bow before the Dongjwa.
Mikilatov
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States3897 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-22 09:18:30
January 22 2009 09:17 GMT
#10
Yeah I really wish there was a solution to everyone's streaming problems... It's such a hassle to watch anything for most of us... We end up spending half of the matches we watch fucking with the streams, or watching a laggy stream... Even during higher-profile matches.

I wish I could get OGN and MBC through my TV, I would pay a lot for them, haha.
♥ I used to lasso the shit out of your tournaments =( ♥ | Much is my hero. | zizi yO~ | Be Nice, TL.
epjx31
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United Kingdom324 Posts
January 22 2009 09:20 GMT
#11
anyone know what happen to our regular sources like yao yuan and wfbrood.com?

they seem to be showing old vod's

Mind for OSL!
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51694 Posts
January 22 2009 09:23 GMT
#12
On January 22 2009 18:17 Mikilatov wrote:
Yeah I really wish there was a solution to everyone's streaming problems... It's such a hassle to watch anything for most of us... We end up spending half of the matches we watch fucking with the streams, or watching a laggy stream... Even during higher-profile matches.

I wish I could get OGN and MBC through my TV, I would pay a lot for them, haha.


http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/channel.aspx?channel=51906

dronebabo has this afaik.
Commentator
Mikilatov
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States3897 Posts
January 22 2009 09:25 GMT
#13
On January 22 2009 18:23 GTR-2-Go wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2009 18:17 Mikilatov wrote:
Yeah I really wish there was a solution to everyone's streaming problems... It's such a hassle to watch anything for most of us... We end up spending half of the matches we watch fucking with the streams, or watching a laggy stream... Even during higher-profile matches.

I wish I could get OGN and MBC through my TV, I would pay a lot for them, haha.


http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/channel.aspx?channel=51906

dronebabo has this afaik.


If they offered MBC as well, I'd have that shit TOMORROW.
♥ I used to lasso the shit out of your tournaments =( ♥ | Much is my hero. | zizi yO~ | Be Nice, TL.
Deletrious
Profile Joined December 2007
United States458 Posts
January 22 2009 09:26 GMT
#14
On January 22 2009 18:20 epjx31 wrote:
anyone know what happen to our regular sources like yao yuan and wfbrood.com?

they seem to be showing old vod's



Yeah it was odd, YY and http://live.plu.cn/hanguo both said on the web page they were going to show nada etc., but then it was old vods. I assume they intended to show the tourney but could not?
Bow before the Dongjwa.
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-22 09:35:01
January 22 2009 09:34 GMT
#15
opinion: tl.net tracker gets vods up fast and vods are much more convenient than live streams

opinion: the korean companies (except GOM of course) aren't ever going to provide a good stream solution for foreigners for brood wars. hold out 'til sc2 and you'll get your content (with a lot of ads too!)
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-22 10:04:40
January 22 2009 10:04 GMT
#16
mms://liveongame.gscdn.com/L1 works really well for me in NZ (OGN)
MBC used to have a similar stream, but they stopped it =[
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Nager
Profile Joined January 2008
Germany32 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-22 10:17:56
January 22 2009 10:16 GMT
#17
VODs are fine and kudos to all who put hard work into making them available to us (TL-Tracker, YouTubers, etc.). But it isn't quite the same thing as watching live. Apart from the sensation of "it happening right now" that adds a lot to a live event - the biggest issue with VODs is spoilers. It is so hard to avoid them. The TL-Tracker always puts the players in the filename - which is problematic in MSL prerounds - and on most occasions even the number of Vods in a series can tell you who's going to win in advance.

I really prefer watching stuff live. And i'm willing to get active and do things to let "the world" know. At least then I feel that I do something and don't just consume whatever someone else puts on my table.
there is no cow level
spydR
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Australia243 Posts
January 22 2009 10:36 GMT
#18
Wow susie! I had no idea Duam would be that difficult. Almost seems they're selling themselves short by limiting it to Koreans... Understandably there are plenty of reasons for them to do so; but expanding their outreach would do a lot towards globalizing e-sports and could be beneficial for Duam through sponsorships (speculation). I suppose you would have a more defined view of just how effective the international advertising is from GOM.

Really do love the initiative from Nager though. Some nice ideas in there and great motives.

I also think with the WL format (all-kill); live atmosphere will become even more important than it recently has been.
#1 Eric Marienthal fanboy. Dropped engineering for this >.<
sixghost
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States2096 Posts
January 22 2009 10:40 GMT
#19
On January 22 2009 19:16 Nager wrote:
VODs are fine and kudos to all who put hard work into making them available to us (TL-Tracker, YouTubers, etc.). But it isn't quite the same thing as watching live. Apart from the sensation of "it happening right now" that adds a lot to a live event - the biggest issue with VODs is spoilers. It is so hard to avoid them. The TL-Tracker always puts the players in the filename - which is problematic in MSL prerounds - and on most occasions even the number of Vods in a series can tell you who's going to win in advance.

I really prefer watching stuff live. And i'm willing to get active and do things to let "the world" know. At least then I feel that I do something and don't just consume whatever someone else puts on my table.

I wouldn't waste time trying to convince them about the merits of establishing a foreign base, the only way they would invest in something like this is if they knew they could charge us for it. Which some people probably wouldn't mind if it was reliable.
mG.sixghost @ iCCup || One ling, two ling, three ling, four... Camp four gas, then ultra-whore . -Saracen
renegade_zerg
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Korea (South)525 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-22 10:50:56
January 22 2009 10:46 GMT
#20
good initiative from the OP, but i doubt anything like this will happen anytime soon. It'll be difficult to find funding in this economy as of right now
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
SteadfastSC522
EnkiAlexander 91
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 522
ZombieGrub143
JuggernautJason92
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 22318
Soulkey 258
White-Ra 170
Mini 162
Trap 23
ToSsGirL 22
Shine 18
League of Legends
Doublelift2104
Counter-Strike
fl0m1470
shoxiejesuss561
C9.Mang0171
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King83
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3943
Khaldor2187
Liquid`Hasu1740
Trikslyr41
Other Games
ArmadaUGS2098
summit1g2080
B2W.Neo472
shahzam420
Pyrionflax175
UpATreeSC66
Railgan26
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV175
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream100
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 56
• Azhi_Dahaki29
• HerbMon 2
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV453
League of Legends
• TFBlade925
• Noizen134
Other Games
• Scarra1434
• imaqtpie1107
• Shiphtur277
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 17m
OSC
16h 17m
Stellar Fest
16h 17m
OSC
1d 3h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.