• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:09
CEST 03:09
KST 10:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8138 users

[help]Late game Expansions

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Suicide
Profile Joined December 2002
United States475 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-07-10 11:45:01
July 10 2006 11:41 GMT
#1
I apologize if someone already has a thread about this, I tried to search, but found nothing.

I am a protoss player and I think the biggest leak in my game is the lack of understanding of when you should expand in the late game.

In PvT, It seems to me that I expand pretty much whenever I can late game or whenever they do, and that seems to work. Not a really problem.

In PvZ, after getting my first expansion, I have a huge problem because it's hard to decided when to expand, or try to attack their expansions and engage in their army. I have pretty much no idea when I should try to take my 2nd/3rd expo.

In PvP I seem to have a much easier time with this, but I have trouble dealing with expos in a different sense:

Example: PvP - Rush Hour 3. I'm bottom left, he's top left. Now we both have expanded once, and he takes the top left expansion (not the high ground one, infront of that) as his expansion. The only response to this I can think of for myself is to expand, becuase if I attack, he can either a.) defend using the huge opening in the middle map as a path to his base, or a route to attack me. This means I can't just send a small army to kill his expansion.

Heres a PvZ rep for anyone.
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B221FE5E37F5DB17

[edit] I also don't think I conveyed the problem with losing the aggressive side when I get that 3rd expo pvz, allowing zerg many expansions, which I dont want to do.
Life drags on
gulii
Profile Joined November 2004
Sweden2795 Posts
July 10 2006 15:32 GMT
#2
If you feel taht you have a advantage there are to options; power and end it quick, go safe and expand and win later on...or get counterd...ohh..
Resonate
Profile Joined October 2002
United Kingdom8402 Posts
July 10 2006 16:34 GMT
#3
my only advice for PvZ is expand after every battle that you win convincingly. Conversely, if he goes sunk/spore/lurk into ultra tech you want your 3rd gas up ASAP for archons. Do it when you can beat his standing army, even if he doesn't fight, cos you won't be able to exp when he has 12 ultras running around. Make sure your building placement is good so he can't just gay your nexus.
Memory lane in nice
evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12816 Posts
July 10 2006 16:53 GMT
#4
On July 11 2006 01:34 Resonate wrote:
my only advice for PvZ is expand after every battle that you win convincingly. Conversely, if he goes sunk/spore/lurk into ultra tech you want your 3rd gas up ASAP for archons. Do it when you can beat his standing army, even if he doesn't fight, cos you won't be able to exp when he has 12 ultras running around. Make sure your building placement is good so he can't just gay your nexus.

w0rd! I need those advices badly ^^
Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
July 10 2006 16:56 GMT
#5
expand during your battles or as soon as you're occupying zergs units so he cant attack, cannons need time to warp
Reason
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United Kingdom2770 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-07-10 17:27:07
July 10 2006 17:26 GMT
#6
On July 11 2006 01:56 zulu_nation8 wrote:
expand during your battles or as soon as you're occupying zergs units so he cant attack, cannons need time to warp

Basically.... Yeah.
Speak properly, and in as few words as you can, but always plainly; for the end of speech is not ostentation, but to be understood.
lawl mart
Profile Joined April 2006
United States1289 Posts
July 10 2006 18:58 GMT
#7
this seems to be the big hole in my game too. late game i can never hold down an expantion because he rapes it all with 2 ultra 5 lings while im trying to morph it -,.-
14cc... whats next? women voting?
Knickknack
Profile Joined February 2004
United States1187 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-07-11 02:34:26
July 11 2006 01:55 GMT
#8
There have been several threads about expanding in the past. I found the responses rather unsatisfying. I wager that this is largely because expanding is very relative. Consider a game on luna in which the terran goes 1factcc tornado attack around 9-10min. The P player can go for a 2gaterangerorobo build and expo at around 6min then expo later after the attack in order to be safe. Or the p player could go 1gaterange to rather early expo some more gates then another expo and then robo and that way the p should be able to hold off the attack fine as long as they halt probes for the moment in order to prepare in time. You see the rather large difference in expo times, 6min vs. 4:30 or so, and 10+min to 7 or so, yet both are sufficient to get the job done.

About pvp on rush hour, I think you have the right idea. From what I've seen this map tends towad longer games. If you cant attack or harass sucesfully, and your not leaving openings for your opponent, expand.

I'll add to this the some ideas I generally follow about expanding, which you may or may not find useful.

First, note the fact that if a P player makes probes consistently and stops at around 3xper patch you’ll run out of mins around 13min mark at main. That’s generally my 2nd expo timing -- when my main is about to give out so I can just transfer those probes to a new expansion. The first expo timing varies; say anything from fast expo to 9min or so. It largely depends on what you’re going for. This way of playing is my standard as its rather safe because you have the least number of expansions necessary for good play, and this also means you’ll have more power at least for the time being because its means your not going to drop money on another nexus, more probes, and static defense. It’s very consistent, and rather good if not always the best economically. Sure, this may fall apart from time to time depending on what’s going on, but its rather good overall. Grab your next expansion at least by the time your nat is going low. As far as late game expands I don't have any real advice, just do what works.

That is my standard of expanding that I compare alternatives to. I don't ever want to be caught expanding later then that if I can help it, but when would it be beneficial to expand earlier then this? For instance, consider the thread started by skyglow2 a bit back. I recommend one of two styles of play considering that he was able to have his 1st expansion up about 2 mins earlier then the terran while remaining safe. I recommend that he either expand again rather early and build on that economic advantage that he already had, or to just take the advantage that he already had and turn that into power more quickly.

edit-ya wrong one. Took a quick look, I would have definatly tried to expand earlier then you did. Perhaps ill take a more detailed look later.
| www.ArtofProtoss.vze.com |
Suicide
Profile Joined December 2002
United States475 Posts
July 11 2006 02:03 GMT
#9
On July 11 2006 10:55 Knickknack wrote:
Lastly, I'm a bit confusing as to why you posted that replay as its the same one skyglow posted in the other thread. I would have played the game a bit differently which would have lead to an earlier first expand and slightly later 2nd expand, but whether that would have best way to go is certainly up for question.


Uhm, I just played that game yesterday on pgt, so I think you watched the wrong one.

But yeah, I agree that expanding is very open ended, what I meant by this thread was like, things to look for, or if things happen it generally means its a good time to expo, ect. Thanks for your advice though
Life drags on
Cloud
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sexico5880 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-07-11 02:40:47
July 11 2006 02:38 GMT
#10
Hmm basically, the scenaries when you can and should expand are:

1) You have an army-wise advantage with or without an economic advantage.(ie. pvz, the toss just broke out of contain, he will almost always have the upper hand when related to army, so he pressures the zerg and expands)

2) You are about equal army-wise with or without an economic advantage. (ie. Any match up where battles arent balancing the game to ones favor, your money starts piling up so you expo)

3) You have a tech advantage even though economically or army-wise you may not have the advantage. (Your tech will either, buy you time to expand, or allow you to expand somewhere where your opponent cant yet reach (ie. drops for zerg on a map with islands, pvz when toss opens with dt/corsair).

4) You have no army advantage and may not have an advantage in tech and/or economy, but you have the means to delay your opponent enough and set up a defense (ie. zvp where the zerg contains while expoing and sunkening, tvp on rpoint where the terran turtles to grab his second expansion, pvz when the toss opens with fast cannon)

5) You are certain your opponent wont see your expo because you are distracting him or he doesnt scout or you trick him into thinking something, whatever, but usually otherwise you wouldnt be able to hold that exp, so you are relying on your secrecy and/or mischieve to get that expansion up with static defense or some way to hold your opponent at bay. (ie. fake openings that indicate some sort of rush or whatever and instead they are fast expo, secret expos)

6) You just won a battle and you have about the same army-producing capabilities he has. (ie. pvt, the toss breaks the terrans push so hes able to expand). This is kind of the same as 1).


Those are all that come to mind right now.
BlueLaguna on West, msg for game.
Knickknack
Profile Joined February 2004
United States1187 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-07-11 03:38:27
July 11 2006 03:22 GMT
#11
Man I'm answering so many 1gate sair tech threads lately that I\'m tempted to just write a guide and point to it. I actually wantched the rep, fancy that, hah. Anyway, the way you play that game is so diffrent from how I would have played it.

You go: sair tech+zeals -> early forge, 2nd gate, +1, +legs, +cannons at ramp, + storm, blah
I'd go: sair tech+zeals/dt to forge-> (see what z is up to, 3hatch lurk) expo -> cannon at expo+arch/storm.

You'ld get a way earlier expo and be safe from lurkers. See how much unnecessary stuff your adding in there before expo? Do you have a good reason for all that stuff?
| www.ArtofProtoss.vze.com |
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15597
Hyuk 49
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm219
League of Legends
Doublelift5156
Other Games
summit1g8735
FrodaN3355
JimRising 646
PiGStarcraft453
KnowMe181
ViBE138
ArmadaUGS78
Mew2King77
Trikslyr33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1304
BasetradeTV184
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream119
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 103
• davetesta48
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 51m
INu's Battles
10h 51m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
13h 51m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 51m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 51m
Replay Cast
21h 51m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 9h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.