• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:13
CEST 05:13
KST 12:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8039 users

Australian news interview on SCII

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
PiGStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Australia1004 Posts
June 04 2012 04:08 GMT
#1
Hello TL!

Last weekend I was invited down to the ABC studios at Ultimo (Sydney) to do an interview regarding Starcraft and my career as a progamer. I was asked down by Nicholas Jordan and Vivien Lu two journalism students who did the story on Starcraft II in Australia for SBS online news several months back. I asked should I wear my uniform? Would I need to bring any gear or anything to show them and asked for a list of questions ahead of time (I've learnt that this helps alot so you don't get put on the spot and answer a question really stupidly only to realise 5 minutes later what you should have said) and also what program it was for.

Nick told me it was for ABC news 24 and that they'd email me the questions the night before and pay for my cab to and from the studio, also wearing my uniform would be great. Well I didn't get any questions but I guess busy news studios tend to forget stuff like this. So I rocked up in my uniform on the Sunday morning somewhat assuming we'd spend up to say an hour filming interview questions, perhaps doing several takes and then they'd edit it and chuck it in as a story segment.

So the guy (producer-organiser guy-not quite sure what his exact job is?) comes out shakes my hand, 'Bennet' I think was his name. Seemed really nice. and proceeded to explain that first they'd air Nick and Viv's story then me and Nick would just go on and sit down with the 2 presenters of the "weekend breakfast" show during a break and then do a live interview with some standard questions about the game, the money, career paths, growth in Australia etc etc.

"WAIT what I'm gunna be on live TV? "

That was the first thing that jumped into my head and I got pretty nervous! I quickly called Dot and woke her up once I found out and told her "turn on the TV to ABC 24, I have to go on live TV now, bye babe"






Luckily I think the experience with other interviews has served me well and I handled myself ok but was a little worried that I didn't really give SC2 or eSports the best representation I could as I wasn't prepared and just went on auto-pilot. I just received the vods and uploaded to my youtube and I feel I did a pretty good job.

Nonetheless I want feedback from you guys! When I and other players/casters/personalities have future media opportunities what do you think are the key things to talk about to give the best representation for esports?

What could help:

a) make esports seem interesting
b) Dispel images of antisocial people in basements
c) accurately describe and answer the questions that are asked, or even steer them towards better questions?

Are there any other suggestions on how esports personalities should communicate with mainstream media?

Progamerwww.twitch.tv/x5_pig | pigrandom88@gmail.com | @x5_PiG | www.facebook.com/pigSC2
ManicMarine
Profile Joined April 2011
Australia409 Posts
June 04 2012 04:16 GMT
#2
So sick, Australian esports represent!
Manic by name, Manic by nature.
Dingobloo
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Australia1903 Posts
June 04 2012 04:17 GMT
#3
Wow what a great opportunity, I definitely would have cracked under the pressure, nice job PiG!
FirmTofu
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1956 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-04 04:18:25
June 04 2012 04:18 GMT
#4
I loved watching the african-australian lady nod as if she understood and sympathized the plight of the stereotypical gamer.
I lie a lot when I'm town. I never lie when I'm scum.
JaYbOc
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Australia97 Posts
June 04 2012 04:18 GMT
#5
SICKK, GJ Jared!
-niL
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada1131 Posts
June 04 2012 04:18 GMT
#6
So happy the e-sports community is growing so much
WinterSky
Profile Joined February 2012
Australia63 Posts
June 04 2012 04:20 GMT
#7
Australia fighting!
JaYbOc
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Australia97 Posts
June 04 2012 04:23 GMT
#8
Dat smile, 5:12
Anta
Profile Joined April 2012
Germany434 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-04 04:23:34
June 04 2012 04:23 GMT
#9
I would buy some esport now. GJ
"In short: stop bitching, change your tampons and up your game." mad respect to CloudNineLabs.com http://i.imgur.com/g5KGz.jpg ! I love Dreamhack!
ILIVEFORAIUR
Profile Joined February 2010
United States173 Posts
June 04 2012 04:24 GMT
#10
Awesome!! I love seeing all of these news segments popping up everywhere #ESPORTSHWIGHTING!!!
5 Gate Muta FTW!
Ghoststrikes
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada1356 Posts
June 04 2012 04:25 GMT
#11
Great job, that was a very nice interview and you definitely represent eSports well!
Never say die
fcb10
Profile Joined February 2012
113 Posts
June 04 2012 04:26 GMT
#12
Saw this live, nice interviews
Stallion
Profile Joined November 2010
New Zealand67 Posts
June 04 2012 04:30 GMT
#13
nice :D
Sylfyre
Profile Joined January 2012
Australia222 Posts
June 04 2012 04:31 GMT
#14
Australian esports =D =D

In answer to your questions, I think the biggest thing is, like you said, the whole image of the overweight, unfit gamer kind of thing which needs to be broken first. I think that's the first thing that needs to be dealt with. After that, it's just more competitions everywhere, and building the competitions both in the skill level and also the accessibility to people who might not have played as much.
LayZM
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia16 Posts
June 04 2012 04:36 GMT
#15
Great stuff PiG, eSports finally getting some attention here in a non-patronising matter!
SaSe and NaNiwa <3
Crucius
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia299 Posts
June 04 2012 04:37 GMT
#16
Good job mate, proud of you

And ninja mention of Sydney BarCraft, wooooh!
Josh_rakoons
Profile Joined December 2011
United Kingdom1158 Posts
June 04 2012 04:41 GMT
#17
Pretty sick that this is happening even more around the world, and will happen more and more.
bittman
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia8759 Posts
June 04 2012 04:41 GMT
#18
Good job on the interview! The intro video was well presented too, but that's why it's ABC and not a major network. They're too busy telling us about neighbours from hell and other important topics =P
Mvp - Leenock - Dongraegu - MC - Gumiho - Keen - Polt - Squirtle - Jjakji - Genius - Seed - Life - sC - Dream || LG-IM - MVP - FXO
NekoFlandre
Profile Joined March 2011
United States497 Posts
June 04 2012 04:43 GMT
#19
That was awesome......
Kitty Flandre....even more scary..
delete12
Profile Joined April 2012
Australia7 Posts
June 04 2012 04:44 GMT
#20
very nice!

Making esports look interesting is the most important thing. The more interesting it seems, the more coverage it will get
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft487
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta25
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft487
WinterStarcraft466
RuFF_SC2 177
PiLiPiLi 34
SpeCial 29
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1432
White-Ra 183
Hyuk 47
Noble 35
Bale 31
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm184
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 646
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox748
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor660
Other Games
summit1g8647
Coldzera 828
JimRising 470
C9.Mang0332
ViBE64
ArmadaUGS32
Liquid`Ken3
Sick1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick735
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream74
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 102
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo682
• Stunt241
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
6h 47m
Online Event
7h 47m
FEL
12h 47m
AI Arena Tournament
13h 47m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
15h 47m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.