• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:47
CEST 19:47
KST 02:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10215 users

Why You Should Never GG or say GL, HF

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
April 03 2012 07:59 GMT
#1
Recently this cat FrayzZeUsher made a thread about calling GG being a bad thing and, though certainly not the first to do so, he caught a lot of flak for it. I understand why of course, he just didn’t express himself properly. I thought I’d bring you guys the real good reasons why you shouldn’t GG so that you can make a more informed decision. Trust that I know what I’m talking about; I took Introduction to Sociology in first year at university and got a B-.

1) We shouldnt expect manners out of the loser. When I go to my local preschool and beat kids, I dont get upset when they dont admit my superiority. We both understand that my ability to slap toddlers cannot be rivalled by their ability to withstand slaps by people 6 times their body weight.

2) Typing out GG is an admittance of being a worthless human being and nothing else. People compare it to a handshake but the more appropriate comparison is a BJ. Rather than a sign of manners, its a sign of complete submission and nobody with self-respect has ever GG’d out of a game. Instead, when signifying you’re leaving the game, you should find a petty excuse for why you lost. Good example include “my cat was playing,” “I’m actually on fire right now,” and “You only won because I’m currently beating preschoolers.”

3) There’s this weird but super common misconception that GG means “Good Game” when in actuality it means “[I’m] Generating Gonorrhea.” Why anyone would willingly say that about themselves after every single game is beyond me.

4) If you try to type GG, theres a chance you type TT by accident. The other cat, thinking you’re depressed, might call doctors to your house. And if you type TT1 by accident, you might end up calling over everyone’s favourite Canadian Protoss to your house. Well, he’s my favourite Canadian Protoss anyway, at least out of all the ones who are named TT1.

5) You could wear out your G button. This would be unfortunate because it would make it very hard to tell your friend about how you saw a gajillion great golden gorillas getting ganked by Greg Giraldo.

The other gripe our friendly neighbourhood FrayzZeUsher had was with the opening manners, “gl, hf.” Again, though I feel like he’s completely right, he didn’t express himself clearly. So once again, I will use my stunning powers of argument to tell you why GL HF needs to go.

1) Do you really mean it ? I found a graph from a recent publication of Scientific American that demonstrates my point.

[image loading]


As you can see, you dont actually want the other cat to have fun since their fun is inversely proportional to your own. And remember since you are the most important person in the world (source: your parents), you want them to have as little fun as possible.

2) Same idea with the “Good luck.” You dont actually want them to have good luck, as demonstrated in this second graph.

[image loading]


As we can again see, if you want to preserve your belongings which may include (but not limited to) your keyboard, your knuckles, or your bird, you want the other person to be as plagued with bad luck as they can be.

So Now What?

It can be tricky to get past archaic traditions of the past, but for the sake of our reputation of lonely anti-social nerds, we must do so immediately. One alternative, partly pioneered by Dalguno (of Catz fame) is to say “hl, gf” which, of course, stands for “Have lunch girlfriend.” This allows you to preserve your dignity while some people might not even notice. Another option shown to us by Ted Bundy is to open the game by saying “I’m in your house right now so you better throw the game or hope the police are nearby.” Unfortunately the frequency with which this option will get you arrested has not yet been fully tested.

In short; stop with the pleasantries! Stop with the whole “trying to be a decent and respectable human being” shenanigans! Its despicable and if you guys keep it up, we might end up in the unfortunate situation where a culture of competitive gaming becomes more mainstream!

+ Show Spoiler +
Feel free to move to blogs if seen fit, I just thought I’d try to be a bit bold and reach a bigger audience. :D
Farone
Profile Joined November 2010
Netherlands1219 Posts
April 03 2012 08:01 GMT
#2
april 1st is allready over mate
MC, Stephano, Ret, Jjakji, Grubby, Life, HerO, Scarlett, TaeJa
Mr. Nefarious
Profile Joined December 2010
United States515 Posts
April 03 2012 08:02 GMT
#3
Some really interesting and creative view points. I don't think I'll be typing GG anymore. Your argument is bulletproof and your thesis sound. A+
저그 화이팅
psp219
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States315 Posts
April 03 2012 08:04 GMT
#4
This should be in Blogs.
Conti
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany2516 Posts
April 03 2012 08:05 GMT
#5
Two days late! Otherwise it would've been pretty amusing.
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
April 03 2012 08:07 GMT
#6
its always annoying when I catch on fire mid match. Usually that accounts for 70%(A hundred percent) of my losses.

Well said good read. Ladder is getting to nice nowadays and is ruining my whole experience
"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
BreakeR.
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria220 Posts
April 03 2012 08:08 GMT
#7
Everybody wants that Starcraft 2 is accepted as a real Sport and being mannered (mostly) is part of that. Of course it is sometimes ok if you rage or dont call GG but in my opinion its important. For Example in Tennis everybody says Good Game, handshakes or whatever.

I think you should definently wright GG.
The hardest part about being smart is accepting that others are stupid. -Tasteless
Cinim
Profile Joined April 2011
Denmark866 Posts
April 03 2012 08:08 GMT
#8
I oftne times agree, that typing GG is bad, but for none of these reasons. Typing GG is by no means admitting that you are a worthless being.
And don't come with your ''I took an introduction course'' Don't really mean much, and a B, it's common knowledge that in your school systems even an A is quite easy to get, which is why top students don't accept anything but A in Canada and USA because they aren't too hard to get, so I take that part pointless.

I think GG is often bad to say, because people say them just for saying it. It's a good thing, wanting your opponent to be mannered, though one should never expect it.
But generally people just say GG but they never mean it, but sometimes people even get mad at people who doesn't say GG. When saying GG has lost all meaning, due to the saying just being standard to say, it becomes reluctant to use.
Hell, it's about time
kurrysauce
Profile Joined October 2010
272 Posts
April 03 2012 08:08 GMT
#9
the graphs literally made me LOL
Clazziquai10
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Singapore1949 Posts
April 03 2012 08:09 GMT
#10
Agreed. fuck manners. I'll be wishing everyone bad luck, don't have fun from now on.
blazzerg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada30 Posts
April 03 2012 08:10 GMT
#11
From now on "my cat was playing" will be said every time i lose.....or win. Well played sir, you are a champion...of preschoolers.
Ralethon
Profile Joined July 2011
United States141 Posts
April 03 2012 08:10 GMT
#12
I feel bad for all the people who skim this and miss the joke xP Epic post ^^
TheyCallMePops
Profile Joined August 2011
United States81 Posts
April 03 2012 08:11 GMT
#13
The first infallible argument I've seen about SC2.
lorkac
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2297 Posts
April 03 2012 08:11 GMT
#14
I have no arguments against.

g.g.
By the truth we are undone. Life is a dream. Tis waking that kills us. He who robs us of our dreams robs us of our life --Orlando: A Biography
jimbob615
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Uruguay455 Posts
April 03 2012 08:13 GMT
#15
i know this is a parody, but i don't care what people think, this is actually right. i think saying "gg" is bullshit, and like you said, it's a sign of submission. i would rather leave the game with some of my integrity intact. gg should only be reserved for when you want to show respect to a great game which was close.
haleu
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden47 Posts
April 03 2012 08:13 GMT
#16
I agree with OP. I never GG out unless I actually was having a good time and actually thought it was a good game. I hate lying and saying GG would be lying if I implied I was having fun in like 80% of the cases. Also, I get more satisfaction when I win and my opponent doesn't call GG because it feels more like I've done something out of the ordinary than if he would just say GG and tap out.
zmansman17
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2567 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 08:16:16
April 03 2012 08:16 GMT
#17
I'll have you know that I will be writing to your professor.

I Don't think a B- reflects your altogether thorough and spot-on understanding of the material.



♞ - His EKG is flattening get me a defib stat! Prepped and Ready! - ♞
Nerski
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1095 Posts
April 03 2012 08:16 GMT
#18
2 days late indeed, though i think the inteded joke is obvious.

Only sad part is how many people actually well read this and be like, 'yeah that's why I don't do it!'
Twitter: @GoForNerski /// Youtube: Youtube.com/nerskisc
hoby2000
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States918 Posts
April 03 2012 08:18 GMT
#19
That 2nd graph made me lol partially because it's true... and partially because it was just fucking funny.
A lesson without pain is meaningless for nothing can be gained without giving something in return.
Fym
Profile Joined October 2009
United Kingdom189 Posts
April 03 2012 08:18 GMT
#20
Your graphs are inaccurate
If you wanna be a good chef, you dont make fish n chips.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem492
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 492
IndyStarCraft 230
Railgan 94
BRAT_OK 62
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17829
BeSt 415
Soma 197
Dewaltoss 128
Mind 99
Mini 84
hero 72
Zeus 50
Hyun 44
Killer 35
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 25
Bale 23
Rock 21
NaDa 20
PianO 16
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc5030
qojqva3013
Dendi1526
420jenkins457
Counter-Strike
fl0m3975
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4490
Khaldor1361
Liquid`Hasu1082
MindelVK10
Other Games
FrodaN1605
B2W.Neo797
byalli469
ArmadaUGS190
Hui .167
QueenE83
Mew2King59
CosmosSc2 28
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1160
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream44
StarCraft 2
angryscii 0
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 27
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 45
• blackmanpl 21
• FirePhoenix7
• niya90s1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 4053
League of Legends
• Nemesis2253
Other Games
• imaqtpie542
• Shiphtur254
• WagamamaTV208
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 13m
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 13m
Replay Cast
5h 13m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 13m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
17h 13m
Monday Night Weeklies
22h 13m
Replay Cast
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 16h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 17h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.