• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:20
CEST 17:20
KST 00:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7531 users

[Interview] DES talks with Kal

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
infinitestory
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4053 Posts
September 19 2011 02:06 GMT
#1
Man, I'm rusty. This is also a week or two old, Kal's results will be coming out in two days.

[image loading]

“We desperately wanted more Protoss, so there were many applicants.”

Air Force ACE’s coach Oh Dong Soo thus expressed his team’s need for Protoss reinforcements. After the end of Much’s military service, no new Protosses entered ACE, and the next season was in danger of being negatively affected. Still, though, the process of recruiting a new toss turned out to be tougher than expected.

At first, Coach Oh’s strict requirements turned away many players. But there was one player whose record in ace matches had been steadily and strangely dropping. His true skill just wouldn’t come out in televised games. And infuriatingly, he had no clue why. He wondered if it was time for a change.

So this player applied to Air Force ACE. ACE has never had a player near the top of the KeSPA ranking, so at the sight of his application Coach Oh broke out into an unbridled grin.

This player is none other than former Starleague finalist Kal. In the 10-11 season, Kal was mired in a deep slump, so he needed time and a way to return. As he packed away his inner troubles, he made up his mind to apply to ACE.

So what sort of mental changes has Kal actually undergone? Let’s find out as we talk with Kal.

[image loading]


◆”An inexplicable slump, it’s really disheartening”

Truly odd. It clearly wasn’t a lack of practice, his quality of life remained well, and girls had nothing to do with it either. No mental troubles either. Just a sudden inescapable string of losses in official matches.

"Actually, if it were girl troubles or starcraft burnout, the slump wouldn’t be nearly so tormenting. But it’s nothing like that. A sudden drop in performance like this is tough to bear. "

Kal continued to search for an explanation, but it’s only more painful. With this issue constantly on his mind, Kal found it tough to focus on practice, and he fell into a vicious cycle of decline. Kal even considered going to ask the gods for advice.

"Every progamer has his share of tough times – you could even say that’s true for every vocation. But for a progamer, this is especially fatal. If you can’t quickly get out of a slump, your career could be over just like that."

Kal was indeed worried that his own life as a progamer was about to end. So as the season ended, he pondered the possibility of joining the Air Force. He needed an environment where he could be more mentally unburdened, more able to focus on Starcraft.

[image loading]


◆A need for change

STX is known for its good treatment of players. STX players tend to have good wages and a comfortable playing environment, so STX players tend to be proud of their team. Kal was no exception. But strangely, he felt that this type of environment was a detriment to him.

"I felt like I needed some sort of change. The team’s wages are good, and they organize general affairs well, so people were wondering whether my departure was because I was growing demotivated. But it’s times like these that I need a new environment."

Even though he could have gone to another team, Kal had one major reason for joining the Air Force. He wanted to return to his initial mindset. Back then, he played unencumbered by thoughts of wages or progamer status; he played for love of the game. He wanted to play for a long time and remain a passionate gamer.

"Way back when, even when I didn’t have wages, I played with visions of a successful future. I cradled this dream all while playing. That was my happiest time. I feel like I’ve lost that mentality. So what I really want is to rediscover that primal passion."

Kal decided that the Air Force offered him the best environment for personal change. Here, wages aren’t linked to results, and wins are “pure,” so to speak. Here, he could rekindle his passion.

"Right now I want to return to playing SC. With keyboard and mouse in hand, playing an intense game with my opponent – merely imagining it, I get riled up. If I could simply get back to that, nothing would be impossible."


◆"I only fear shaving my head"

For Kal, the upcoming time will be a lull. Final acceptances won’t be posted until the last days of September, so for the next couple weeks, he’ll be calming his spirit. Many think Kal is a lock for entering ACE, but by no means do they use fame as a factor for acceptance, as the tests are done individually.

"I hope I qualify. I cut short my progamer career to apply to ACE, so if I don’t make it I’ll be very depressed. I can’t wait for the day they announce results; even if I don’t make it I want to know quickly."

Although he’s very eager to enter ACE sooner, Kal is also slightly worried. Because he hasn’t ever shown a shaved head to fans. To be fair, unless you’re as handsome as [T/N 元彬张东健], if you shave your head your appearance will be much worse.

"I’m afraid of showing fans or other people what I look like with my head shaved (haha). All the other guys think like this too. I’ve never shaved my head before, so even the prospect makes me shudder (haha)."

[image loading]


◆"I'm all ready to go!"

If Kal makes it into ACE, it will be a big step for not just himself but for all eSports. Air Force ACE will no longer be a team to be looked down upon.

"To be honest, I don’t think I can single-handedly make ACE that much stronger. ACE is already a strong team, and last season they made that clear to me. I only want to propel the already high-flying ACE even further. I’d be more valuable to the team that way, too."

Kal has made up his mind to work even harder than now if he makes it into ACE. He hopes this season, Air Force ACE can make its way into the finals.

"I want to make miracles with the rest of ACE. Truth be told, I’m not particularly close with anybody from ACE. But I still want to succeed with this team. I want to join ACE quickly, fire up the team, and be a driving force. What more could I possibly hope for?"

To Kal, who hopes to lend his strength to ACE while returning to his own roots, we hope that his plane flies highest.


source: http://playsc.com/forum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=245020&extra=page=1&filter=typeid&typeid=6&typeid=6
Translator:3
GoodRamen
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States713 Posts
September 19 2011 02:08 GMT
#2
imma miss kal if he goes to ace =/
#1 Fantasy Fan!!!!
NguN
Profile Joined August 2009
Australia1322 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 02:11:47
September 19 2011 02:11 GMT
#3
Kal!!!

Alway liked Kal. Was the Protoss hero for late 09 early 10... when every other Protoss was slumping, he was making Ro4 appearances in OSL/MSL.

Hope he gets in and makes a splash in BW again!
Reyis
Profile Joined August 2009
287 Posts
September 19 2011 02:13 GMT
#4
wow didnt knew kal applied to ace. that would give ace some reliable toss afterall which would be very nice. but who is gonna fill kals spot at STX house?


anyway, great translation. big thanks.
기적의 혁명가 김택용 화이팅~!!
ShadeR
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Australia7535 Posts
September 19 2011 02:19 GMT
#5
Oh man there goes 2010's best protoss. =S
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
September 19 2011 02:19 GMT
#6
with JangBi winning the OSL, I can see surge in Protoss @ not only PL but also SLs. Kinda like how Bisu won the MSL to bring the golden age of Toss. Hopefully Kal follows up the trends
and be acrobatic again. Seriousl his harass is even better than Bisu's in PvZ. And then OMFG I CAN FINALLY DO THE ONE THING THAT I ALWAYS WANTED TO DO FOR THE LONGEST TIME
+ Show Spoiler +
cheering 100% for the overmind with no remorse
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
O-ops
Profile Joined February 2009
United States4236 Posts
September 19 2011 02:23 GMT
#7
On September 19 2011 11:13 Reyis wrote:
wow didnt knew kal applied to ace. that would give ace some reliable toss afterall which would be very nice. but who is gonna fill kals spot at STX house?


anyway, great translation. big thanks.


Shuttle
Fan of the Jangbanger
conTAgi0n
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States335 Posts
September 19 2011 02:29 GMT
#8
I always enjoyed liked Kal, I was sorry to see him slumping so badly. Few players continue to be much of a force in BW after moving to Ace, but hell, if JangBi of all people can come back to win an OSL, maybe Kal can regain his mojo and flourish on Ace.
e_i_pi_1_0
Profile Joined September 2009
933 Posts
September 19 2011 02:33 GMT
#9
Thanks for the translation.

Kal always seemed like a really likeable person. His slump was pretty painful to watch. I hope he makes a great comeback when he's on ACE.
Jaedong and Hwaseung Oz fan.
soujiro_
Profile Joined June 2010
Uruguay5195 Posts
September 19 2011 02:36 GMT
#10
thanks for the translation,
waiting to see if he or pure got accepted
ace hwaiting!!
Hyde
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Australia14568 Posts
September 19 2011 02:55 GMT
#11
Oh I didn't know Much finished his military service
I hope Kal rekindles his passion again and shows us what a beast he can be, I want ACE to get into the playoffs next season too, that would be so cool.

Thanks for the translations :D
Because when you left, Brood War was all spotlights and titans. Now, with the death of the big leagues, Brood War has moved to the basements and carparks. Now, Brood War is unlicensed brawls, lost teeth, and bloody fights for fistfulls of money - SirJolt
Crisium
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States1618 Posts
September 19 2011 02:56 GMT
#12
I hope Kal finds rejuvenation in ACE. This guy is possibly the best Protoss to never have won a SL. Imagine if he regains his form and takes a gold as an Ace member! He just has to not run into Jaedong and he'll be fine.
Broodwar and Stork forever! List of BW players with most Ro16, Ro8: http://tinyurl.com/BWRo16-Ro8
structuralinertia
Profile Joined June 2009
Australia1426 Posts
September 19 2011 03:17 GMT
#13
Kal hwaiting!
He would make an awesome addition to ACE as the first of the ol' Dragons to join
chongu
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Malaysia2606 Posts
September 19 2011 03:24 GMT
#14
Watching Kal play is always entertaining : )

The question remains: who slumps harder - Kal or Calm?
SC2 is to BW, what coke is to wine.
thopol
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Japan4560 Posts
September 19 2011 03:27 GMT
#15
Thanks for the translation.

Kal is such an amazing player. His PvZ just one year ago was at the pinnacle of the game. He was innovating and playing so well. It would be a spectacular shame if his career ends now. I'm really pulling for him making it in. It's cruel to put him and Pure in this scenario. Kal hwaiting! <3
PeterHuynh
Profile Joined June 2011
United States151 Posts
September 19 2011 04:31 GMT
#16
him asking the gods for help is none other than jaedong and flash right?
.
red4ce
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States7313 Posts
September 19 2011 04:43 GMT
#17
If there's anything we've learned from watching the 2011 season, it's to never ever count out a former dragon even if everyone says he's washed up. I look forward to seeing Kal make ACE a legitimate playoff contender next year.
DMXD
Profile Joined February 2008
United States4064 Posts
September 19 2011 04:49 GMT
#18
Kal...you are too talented to not win a SL. I hope the new environment motivate you to achieve your fullest potential.
Cedstick
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada3336 Posts
September 19 2011 05:04 GMT
#19
Kal doesn't change facial expression.
"What does Rivington do when he's not commentating?" "Drool." ~ Categorist
Release
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4397 Posts
September 19 2011 05:11 GMT
#20
So Pure is out of the question?
☺
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1385
WardiTV980
OGKoka 264
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 264
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5198
Bisu 1929
Shuttle 906
Larva 697
BeSt 522
Stork 492
EffOrt 451
Horang2 399
actioN 288
Mini 262
[ Show more ]
Rush 245
Light 153
Mind 118
hero 109
Zeus 93
910 87
Snow 71
Sea.KH 62
Mong 61
Yoon 57
Barracks 55
Shinee 55
sorry 48
JYJ 43
ToSsGirL 30
Bale 27
Killer 25
Sexy 25
Aegong 22
HiyA 21
zelot 18
Terrorterran 15
yabsab 13
soO 12
scan(afreeca) 11
Free 9
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc5463
qojqva2613
Dendi1298
febbydoto37
Counter-Strike
fl0m3555
Fnx 637
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko456
Other Games
singsing2561
hiko966
B2W.Neo760
TKL 619
Livibee362
XBOCT265
Liquid`VortiX223
Hui .220
XaKoH 145
ceh9116
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream20
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 28
• mYiSmile116
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 32
• iopq 9
• FirePhoenix2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3076
• Jankos2152
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
40m
Replay Cast
7h 40m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 40m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
19h 40m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.