• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:01
CEST 19:01
KST 02:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)58Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7917 users

[Int] DongRaeGu - Message from Korea #1

Forum Index > SC2 General
224 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 Next All
b_unnies
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
3579 Posts
May 02 2011 16:51 GMT
#1
[image loading]

Banner by disciple.


[image loading]

In the Korean scene, there are more high level players than the ones you see in GSL. However, we don't often hear about these players due to language barriers. GSL is the premier StarCraft 2 tournament, yet at the end of the day it is only but one tournament in StarCraft 2,

Korean players have been invited to participate in various tournaments with the prize pool ranging from hundreds to thousands. Yet these Koreans are the ones who have set a mark upon GSL and GSTL. We rarely see less prominent players getting featured in the foreigner scene. I aim to change that.

[image loading]


(Z)DongRaeGu is a grandmaster Zerg that is currently in Team MVP, one of the newer Korean teams. Known for his multitasking, he is one of the up and coming Zergs in Korea and can be considered one of the team's aces. His most notable achievements was when he was the first player to reach 4000 ladder points.

[image loading]


Q. Tell us a bit about yourself and your gaming history in Starcraft 2 so far.
I'm (Z)DongRaeGu (SooHo, Park) and currently I'm in MVP team. I'm 21 years old and from Busan, Korea. My most notable achievement so far has been when I was the first to score 4000 points in ladder.

Q. How did you get into team MVP?
I got into MVP team by getting scouted by the manager (Yoon Sang, Choi). I first met with him during the March GSL qualifiers and while chatting with the manager, he asked me if I wanted to join and gave me some time to decide. After a week I decided to join MVP along with (P)Genius since the manager promised me good "treatment" and since the team was newly created, I thought I could be the team's ace.

Q. What do you think about life in team MVP?
I feel as if life in the team is a school trip since there are a lot of players around my age, like (P)Genius. I don't go out much everyday, mostly for snacks. Even during weekends I don't go out much since the team house is in Incheon and my home is back in Busan at the bottom of the peninsula. Plus, it takes a couple hours drive to go back to my home. I pretty much spend most of my time practicing.

Q. What's the practice schedule like for you in team MVP?
During the GSL season, the team is focused only on the GSL participants, whereas those who aren't participating work their ass off in ladder. When the GSL season is over, we play 2-4 games against each of my teammates.

Q. It seems like you and (P)Genius are great friends. What is your history with him and do you have a rivalry together?
Back in Brood war, a hyung (older "brother") introduced me to (P)Genius since we were both the same age and played the same race (Terran). We shared tons of builds, strategies, and replays together. I didn't have a rivalry with him in Brood War since we were both players far from becoming pros in BW.

In SC2 beta, I played Protoss. However I found out that (P)Genius was a famous Protoss user and I developed a "rivalry sense". I found it "dirty" to play as a Protoss because genius was also a Protoss so I switched to Zerg.

Q. You mentioned you were far from becoming pros in BW. What do you think is the biggest difference between being a SC1 and SC2 progamer.
It's too difficult and challenging to become a pro in BW because all the teams are run by big companies so it's more closed. In SC2, because the ladder system shows rankings it promotes people to challenge themselves more and makes it a bit easier to become well known.

Q. Since you used to be a Protoss, why did you decide to switch to Zerg?
Because of BW, my APM was pretty fast so I was able to multitask a lot. I felt that Terran didn't need much multitasking but Zerg needed a lot of multitasking like larva injection, creep spreading, and constant expansions. Therefore I felt my playstyle was more suited to playing Zerg

Q. You weren't able to qualify in GSL Code A. What happened?
Zerg is too weak when it comes to defending timing attacks and all-ins especially proxy 2gates. In the GSL qualifiers vs (P)IMSeed, I won the first game after defending a cannon rush and a 4gate. In the second game I lost to a 15 nexus 7gate all-in build, and in the 3rd game I went for a push but lost.

Q. Many Zergs complain about the forcefields and Colossus in ZvP. Why do you think Zerg doesn't use Ultralisks to break Force Fields more?
I don't really complain about Force Fields and Colossus as I find ways to try and get out of those situations but I still hate it when I make the wrong decision and it costs me the game.

It's not easy to get ultras since I have to fight off Stalkers and Colossus.Ultralisks are really high up in the tech tree and before then, Protoss can still use Force Fields many times. However, I think Broodlords are better than Ultras as it's much easier to win the game with 10 Broodlords than 10 Ultras. Even getting 2-3 Ultras is really hard.

Q. Many Zergs have been experimenting with Infestors. How important do you think they are in ZvT?

After the patch, in a mid-long game its compulsory to get Infestors. The longer the game goes, Infestors become much more important than Banelings especially in a management game. Late game Terran would have a lot of mech units which makes its hard for the Zerg to attack the marines so Zergs needs Infestor for another AOE option besides Banelings. Infestors is also getting important in lategame ZvP as well.

Q. Hydralisks are starting to see lesser use in ZvsP, in ZvZ zergs have tried to use Hydralisks, do you think that a Roach + Infestor army is still better?
Hydralisks are useless and eat up money. It's only useful if the opponent goes Mutas, Voids, or Phoenix. Before the Infestor patch, I used to use a lot of Hydras but after the buff, it's better to use Roach + Infestors for DPS. Even before the patch, I used very little Hydras in ZvsP since Roach and Hydras are shit together.

Q. This year GSL has been making more maps, what do you think about the GSL and ladder maps?
GSL maps are quite fun especially since maps don't have close spawn positions. However thinking about ladder maps makes me go "shit" and "fuck". They're the reason why Terran are taking over ladder. The map I hate most is Crossfire since the rush distance is too close. Protoss and Terran get too much advantage when they have map control. I also don't like Delta Quadrant. There's nothing to say about that map, it just sucks.

Q. How much do you know about Teamliquid.net and the foreigner scene?
I know that Xeph mirror'ed my stream from Daum Pot and it was posted on TL.net. I tried to find posts in Teamliquid about my stream but I couldn't find any.
I think it's good that there are lots of leagues and events to participate in the foreign scene, however if I wasn't in Korea I think that I would be able to post a lot of good results in these tournaments. Nevertheless foreigners are still good unlike Brood War. I've played players like (T)Jinro, (P)HuK, and (Z)DIMAGA on ladder and I think that (P)HuK is the best foreigner in starcraft 2.

Q. What do you think about SC2's growth in Korea?
StarCraft 2 has grown a lot faster than I thought and is still growing fast in Korea. I believe that there will be more leagues coming up in the future.

Q. Anything you like to say to TL.net?
Please support me a lot when I get to play in GSL or GSTL !

[image loading]

What better way to get recognized than an exclusive replay from the man himself?

DongRaeGu replay



Credit goes to NEXenTech (Mike Kang - ZeNEX staff member) for helping to translate for DongRaeGu.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
Glueburn
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States496 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-02 16:56:31
May 02 2011 16:56 GMT
#2
Is this going to be a special segment or something? or have I missed previous editions.

Seems to be a great player though, and looks like he has the potential to play all the races at a high level, which is a extraordinary trait.

If only foreignors could watch korean streams and such.
Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself. - Miles Davis
DivinO
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States4796 Posts
May 02 2011 16:56 GMT
#3
Thanks! Great interview.
LiquipediaBrain in my filth.
udgnim
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8024 Posts
May 02 2011 16:58 GMT
#4
very much like the interview

thanks
E-Sports is competitive video gaming with a spectator fan base. Do not take the word "Sports" literally.
Liquid`HayprO
Profile Joined March 2003
Iraq1230 Posts
May 02 2011 16:59 GMT
#5
very nice interview
Team LiquidOur friendship will be the stuff of legend.
MegaManEXE
Profile Joined September 2010
United States845 Posts
May 02 2011 17:01 GMT
#6
Great guy, loved watching him play on Xeph's stream

I really think that he has the potential to be the next Zerg hero that everyone's looking for
Zephy
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany42 Posts
May 02 2011 17:01 GMT
#7
Sweet. He seems like a person who speaks his mind, which is something I've always liked. Hopefully we'll be able to see more Zergs in the GSL/GSTL!
Torpedo.Vegas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States1890 Posts
May 02 2011 17:03 GMT
#8
This is like the reverse of what normally happens when foreigners request Korean input or reactions. I definitely like the idea of helping bring lesser known, but perhaps not lesser skilled, Korean players to light of foreign fans.

I know I have seen Jinro/Huk/MC*(on Jinro's)/ and oGsTheWind stream on TL before. I would suggest/request that perhaps more Korean players trying to break out in the pro scene maybe share some streaming here. If it becomes popular enough perhaps the admins would not mind customizing the "feature" section to divide it up by teams. With anything not a pro stream being General Features, then obviously not featured be the rest.

Its hard to find interesting players if they are all lumped together with everyone else in the "other" category.
CuSToM
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1478 Posts
May 02 2011 17:03 GMT
#9
I have been hyping this guy up so much since I first saw him on Xeph's stream and was literally bummed out when I learned he didn't qualify for GSL May. I hope MVP does well this season and gets enough points to qualify for GSTL so we can finally see him in the booth. His multi-tasking and decision making is absolutely insane. He played against MKP in that house attack they showed in between Code S sets the other night and he made a sick move with his banelings against blue flame hellions but ultimately ended up losing.

This guy is the real deal.
Team SCV Life #1
Cosmos
Profile Joined March 2010
Belgium1077 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-02 17:04:33
May 02 2011 17:04 GMT
#10
Need more editions of things like that with other players.

And WE NEED XEPH back to mirror more streams!
http://www.twitch.tv/becosmos
xza
Profile Joined November 2010
Singapore1600 Posts
May 02 2011 17:04 GMT
#11
DONG ftw!
"What a terrible final. This is why BO3s are horrible. Seriously MKP vs Moon in a final and having it BO3 is like having Mila Kunis naked in your bed and all she'll give you is a HJ with her PJs on. Pffffffffffffffftt." -greatZERG
DeltruS
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2214 Posts
May 02 2011 17:05 GMT
#12
Great interview! Back when he streamed he seemed to be ahead of everyone else in the metagame, so I was very interested in what he was doing outside of GSL. I am definetly rooting for him!
http://grooveshark.com/#/deltrus/music
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
May 02 2011 17:05 GMT
#13
Nice idea, nice thread, nice interview. Going to watch those replays avidly.
vileChAnCe
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada525 Posts
May 02 2011 17:06 GMT
#14
I love this guy he when his stream was on TL it was pretty inspirational, I looked forward to it the most! Hope he gets to to be in the spot light eventually ^^
Day[9] i've broken 6 mice, 5 keyboards, 3 pairs of headphones, and a mousepad, all from raging after starcraft losing streaks
dc302
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia576 Posts
May 02 2011 17:06 GMT
#15
He says roaches and hydras are 'shit' together? I need an explanation x_x
...
I)etox
Profile Joined April 2011
1240 Posts
May 02 2011 17:06 GMT
#16
This is really cool thanks for the interview. I'm going to watch the replays once I get off work. It'll be interesting to see how a 4k ladder point zerg plays.
Vansetsu
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States1454 Posts
May 02 2011 17:06 GMT
#17
This is wonderful, I'm really glad to see something like this. There are so many more extremely skilled players in Korea, and we only get insight from them when we see them in GSL or GSTL, or someone translates something for us. Thank you very much for this, and I will certainly root for you of you make it into Code A!!!
Only by overcoming many obstacles does a river become - デイヴィ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ド
Momildo
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil93 Posts
May 02 2011 17:07 GMT
#18
Great interview, with real answers instead of those generic ones!
Hope more will come!!
Colourz
Profile Joined January 2011
England27 Posts
May 02 2011 17:07 GMT
#19
Good to know about some of the other non-gsl players, is there anywhere I can view some of the old streams?
apalemorning
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada509 Posts
May 02 2011 17:07 GMT
#20
dongraegu is a baller. i just wish koreans werent so tightassed about replays/streams. oh well
immortal/roach is pretty good against stalkers
1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1184
ComeBackTV 843
SteadfastSC736
TaKeTV 499
IndyStarCraft 206
Rex125
EnkiAlexander 71
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 754
IndyStarCraft 206
ProTech134
Rex 133
BRAT_OK 41
MindelVK 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45328
Shuttle 689
Mini 427
Larva 398
Rush 378
BeSt 184
Hyuk 111
Dewaltoss 94
firebathero 78
Mong 64
[ Show more ]
Sexy 29
ToSsGirL 27
Trap 26
Bale 19
Rock 16
Sacsri 13
Shine 13
Terrorterran 10
Dota 2
Gorgc9084
qojqva1800
Counter-Strike
fl0m1278
Fnx 792
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1653
Khaldor1209
Other Games
hiko1426
FrodaN1201
DeMusliM396
XBOCT191
ArmadaUGS165
Beastyqt158
XaKoH 118
KnowMe114
C9.Mang092
QueenE80
Mew2King77
CosmosSc2 12
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV269
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream77
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH293
• poizon28 40
• StrangeGG 39
• Hinosc 23
• Kozan
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 10
• FirePhoenix9
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3935
Other Games
• Shiphtur327
• imaqtpie3
Upcoming Events
OSC
4h 59m
CranKy Ducklings
16h 59m
Online Event
17h 59m
FEL
22h 59m
AI Arena Tournament
23h 59m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 1h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 16h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.