• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:03
CEST 15:03
KST 22:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9554 users

[M] (3) Autumn Hills

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-07 18:15:12
April 04 2011 19:53 GMT
#1
[image loading]


1v1 - 3 spawns

Size: 158 x 150 - 15 bases total

v1.1 published on EU.


Introduction: + Show Spoiler +
If it hadn´t been for MotM #4 I would never dream of doing a 3 player map, because of the complexity involved in creating a balanced layout. However, I have set my mind on participating in every single MotM, and thus I had to do a 3 player map as well.
I did the basic layout long before NullCurrent posted his excellent guide, so I used multiple Watchtowers and siege tanks with range display, placing them in an intricate triangular pattern, drew outlines of bases with different textures. I also placed units and measured travel distances all over the place. What a hassle!
But now that I´m done, I´m pretty happy with the result, and so far playing the map has been a blast. Hope you guys try it out and enjoy it.

Overview:
[image loading]


Analyzer: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading][image loading][image loading]

Additional pics n info:+ Show Spoiler +
Both entrances to the natural expansion can be walled off with 3 barracks. A ramped high ground helps defend the other nat entrance. [image loading]The center has a cute little colonist settlement.[image loading]For the autumn theme I used mostly custom colored Typhon trees. [image loading]More settlers...[image loading]

Tileset:+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


My Map Thread
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
dimfish
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States663 Posts
April 04 2011 20:08 GMT
#2
I did my 3p before Null's guide, too, also with the help of towers and tanks!!

Also, you can throw three start positions on various points that are meant to equivalent in each 120 degrees of the map, then see what the map analyzer has to say about their distance by ground and air. This is pretty helpful for balancing the layout and allowing some asymmetries in there.


Regardless, Autumn Hills came out nicely! What I want to try first on this map is using that little high ground in the natural to contain my opponent on 1-base: as Zerg I will build a hatch up there and then build spine crawlers into the natural.
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-04 20:44:55
April 04 2011 20:28 GMT
#3
On April 05 2011 05:08 dimfish wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
I did my 3p before Null's guide, too, also with the help of towers and tanks!!

Also, you can throw three start positions on various points that are meant to equivalent in each 120 degrees of the map, then see what the map analyzer has to say about their distance by ground and air. This is pretty helpful for balancing the layout and allowing some asymmetries in there.


Regardless, Autumn Hills came out nicely! What I want to try first on this map is using that little high ground in the natural to contain my opponent on 1-base: as Zerg I will build a hatch up there and then build spine crawlers into the natural.


Yeah that is definitely something to look out for. Hell, the creep will even spread into the main, so you can spine crawl directly in there. However that hatchery will be in range of stalkers and marines standing in the main, so it doesn´t break the map.

A screenshot for the curious:+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


edit: Thanks Dimfish! Oh, and roaches too...
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
dimfish
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States663 Posts
April 04 2011 20:35 GMT
#4
Yeah, I wouldn't expect that to break the map, its just a clever feature that has defensive and possibly offensive potential. It just occurred to me a defender probably won't notice a hatch or bunker or whatever building up there until they come out and secure the natural.
Tiazi
Profile Joined February 2010
Netherlands761 Posts
April 04 2011 20:44 GMT
#5
I like the layout but the textures arent very attractive.
"A brilliant yet deluded man once said, 'Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.' Gumiho is that agent of chaos." -monk
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
April 04 2011 20:55 GMT
#6
On April 05 2011 05:44 Tiazi wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

I like the layout but the textures arent very attractive.


Thanks. The layout is the most important. I guess those textures look pretty bland from the editor screenshots. They look a little better in game, though. + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-04 21:06:58
April 04 2011 21:02 GMT
#7
Lol at thread banner, photoshop the sky!!!

I think the natural looks a bit hard to hold. I suggest making each choke 2rax to wall off. This will allow Terran and Protoss to do easier fast expansions, since right now the backdoor is deadly.

I'm not a fan of the 3 bases so closely huddles together, makes for bad gameplay and turtling. However, I don't really see anyway to fix it, so I'll have to live with it.

The highground pod in the natural looks unbelievably cheap for protoss, because they can warp units into the main. I suggest either removing it entirely, making it unbuildable, or making enough space between it and the main so a pylon can't warp across.

The mains in general look very small. Since a lot of it is a tiny pathway that curves around the natural, there isn't a lot of space for production buildings.

Other than that, nice job! I like the map, and aesthetics are unusual (but good).
[edit]
That in-game screen shot of the aesthetics looks amazing.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
CBWeyland
Profile Joined March 2011
United States13 Posts
April 04 2011 23:39 GMT
#8
OMG I love it.


NA servers plz :D
Learn to macro.
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
April 05 2011 23:24 GMT
#9
A few minor changes made before submitting to MotM:

Added rocks to the gold bases, making them slightly less of a siege-fest.

Made high ground pods in the natural unbuildable in order to prevent pylon cheese.
Thanks to monitor and Dimfish for your feedback.

On April 05 2011 08:39 CBWeyland wrote:
OMG I love it.


NA servers plz :D


Thanks. WniO and I have been using each other as NA/EU proxies but we are both running out of slots.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
dimfish
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States663 Posts
April 05 2011 23:40 GMT
#10
good changes, and good luck in motm!

When will Blizzard just grant everyone who is using all their map slots an additional 20 slots?? I bet it'd be a drop in teh bucket for them
hobbidude
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada171 Posts
April 07 2011 11:41 GMT
#11
Have to say as a fellow map maker also in motm this is an absolute perfect piece of art. You really hit the nail on this one. Lovely colors that work well together and give a real atmosphere. Layout is great for gameplay and spaced nicely specifically with it being a 3 spawn. Though i'm off course partial to my own, i really hope you get motm #4.
Archivian
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom362 Posts
April 07 2011 13:39 GMT
#12
I have to say I really do like this map and the theme.
I love that every route links so nicely and the autumn theme colours are great, and just the right amount of doodads used to help create a great feel to the map.
"you were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Micheal Caine
Mafe
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany5966 Posts
April 07 2011 14:57 GMT
#13
It looks great and I like this map.
However, this map instantly reminded me of the wc3-map Odessa (especially if you would switch mains and the side expansions of odessa).
Then again, it is probably impossible. to create a map wiht no similarities any existing map.

Also I might turn out that securing the gold bases could give you the 2 bases behind the gold for free (almost no additional risk). Or the other way around I do not see why a player should take a base behind gold before he captured the gold base. Maybe is this intentional.
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
April 07 2011 18:41 GMT
#14
Thanks everyone


On April 07 2011 23:57 Mafe wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
It looks great and I like this map.
However, this map instantly reminded me of the wc3-map Odessa (especially if you would switch mains and the side expansions of odessa).
Then again, it is probably impossible. to create a map wiht no similarities any existing map.

Also I might turn out that securing the gold bases could give you the 2 bases behind the gold for free (almost no additional risk). Or the other way around I do not see why a player should take a base behind gold before he captured the gold base. Maybe is this intentional.


I never really played WC3, so it´s purely coincidental.

I guess you´re right about the expansion layout, however, given the relatively short rush distance, tight main and rather open natural, I doubt many games will evolve into 5-base turtle-fests.
My previous maps were tested by master players prior to release, but unfortunately I haven´t been able to do that this time. We´ll have to wait and see.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
April 08 2011 05:55 GMT
#15
On April 08 2011 03:41 Johanaz wrote:
Thanks everyone


Show nested quote +
On April 07 2011 23:57 Mafe wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
It looks great and I like this map.
However, this map instantly reminded me of the wc3-map Odessa (especially if you would switch mains and the side expansions of odessa).
Then again, it is probably impossible. to create a map wiht no similarities any existing map.

Also I might turn out that securing the gold bases could give you the 2 bases behind the gold for free (almost no additional risk). Or the other way around I do not see why a player should take a base behind gold before he captured the gold base. Maybe is this intentional.


I never really played WC3, so it´s purely coincidental.

I guess you´re right about the expansion layout, however, given the relatively short rush distance, tight main and rather open natural, I doubt many games will evolve into 5-base turtle-fests.
My previous maps were tested by master players prior to release, but unfortunately I haven´t been able to do that this time. We´ll have to wait and see.


Jeeze where do you get this testing crew? I'm jealous. :\

For one, ZvT will always have zerg taking the side base, not gold (at first), just to increase the walking distance and spread between bases.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
April 08 2011 10:27 GMT
#16
very elegant solution. I love the layout and the simple, yet good looking visuals!
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-08 14:41:51
April 08 2011 14:39 GMT
#17
I like the theme, and the main and nat solution is very cool.

Do you feel the way to put up third and fourth is the only way, or just the easiest way to make the map balanced? I can't help but thinking rotational symetry should be used to make a map more dynamic than that, if you can do it without unbalancing the map >< This ranting is more about my own concern with rotational symetry than your map, though (my attempt - please comment). I think we should learn from Sanctuarium (or rather, Funcmode) and create balanced rotational symetry maps without mirroring them in the process.

I like how 3p maps allows for a wide middle and I think you've made a beautiful middle in many ways. I can't help but thinking, though, that the possible thirds should have more space between themself and between themself and the gold. A terran tanking up on the gold will control the possible thirds on that side?
If you would move the thirds further out on the map and use the extra space for a gap surround on the gold ... would that make the map too big? Movign the gold closer to the centre would affect the allready good layout in the middle.

I'm not in love with your custom lighting. It is the same on Mud Rock? I think it's too bright and especially some shades of green get too bright on my screen, like the green strokes on the natural cliffs .. Korhal Cracked Dirt?

On the map analyser image, the mineral lines look asymetrical. Is that just the analyzer not reading doodad footprint ... or is it just me?

Lastly, I like your stubborness in making a 3p map with the help of tanks and XWTs. Also, I fell in love with the construction of stairs on the colonist settlement by the gap. It's something profound with constructions we can all relate to in a fictional world - those with a practical, human meaning to them.
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Rogue
Classic vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1061
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs KrystianerLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings225
CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech143
CosmosSc2 7
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 48692
Shuttle 11629
FanTaSy 1541
Hyuk 961
Horang2 464
BeSt 442
EffOrt 242
Stork 223
Last 184
Zeus 147
[ Show more ]
Soma 124
Pusan 121
Mind 110
hero 90
ggaemo 73
Hyun 72
Killer 69
Sea.KH 60
Hm[arnc] 52
sorry 49
Snow 49
PianO 43
ToSsGirL 34
Bale 29
Aegong 25
zelot 20
JYJ 18
Sexy 18
NaDa 14
Sacsri 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Noble 9
Icarus 3
Dota 2
qojqva1423
Dendi1170
XcaliburYe345
Gorgc70
Counter-Strike
fl0m2958
x6flipin748
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu514
Khaldor166
Other Games
gofns41105
B2W.Neo1089
byalli640
Beastyqt389
Hui .165
Livibee160
ArmadaUGS91
Mew2King59
Mlord36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick694
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream63
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2122
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
1h 57m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 57m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 57m
Replay Cast
9h 57m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 57m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
21h 57m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 21h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.